Ugly Thread 2006

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

acne...another great one Moby..heehee

gdionelli..maybe the squirrels did help you out..that's funny

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Boy the pics seem to be slowing down. You guys are lucky you don't have my garden. I have so many uglies so far it's too depressing to post them all.

But here's the flower that started it all (Ugly Thread) last year. And it's even uuuuuuuglier now. Looks like red meat that's been left out too long.

Daring Deception, looking more and more like it'll do the compost more good than it does the live part of the garden!

Thumbnail by mickgene
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Here's an ugly Darla Anita for ya, mickgene. ;o)

Thumbnail by mgh
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Ugly edges..lol...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Did Aunt Matilda squish Darla's cheeks and they got stuck that way?

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Moby..your good real good..I bet your a riot to hang out with..lol..

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Wind Master beaten up by the wind. I'll post its sibling elsewhere. This is actually two flowers conjoined.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Madonna's Smile got carried away.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Madonna actually looked somewhat better later in the day.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2006 7:26 PM

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I meant to show this shot of Wind Master earlier. I think you can see the two flowers conjoined better here.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

lol...gingerjar...beaten by the wind is right looks like a tornado hit them all...heehee That conjoined one is really different...:-) no uglies for me today...but then you have wayyyy more daylilies than I do so your chances of getting an ugly are much better than mine..rofl...

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Gingerjar: I have a 'Madonna's Smile', too, and she's always having bad days when she opens here! It must be PMS. She's like that for a week and then calms down but she is one ugly one to get going.

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

I saw your Wind Master on the other thread and it's stunning, what a difference, LOL

Sandy

LOL, Moby! I think Aunt Matilda was at it again today. The first pic was from yesterday, but I didn't have time to post it. Here's today's Darla Anita.

Thumbnail by mgh
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think Auntie M doesn't like Darla at all!

I think you're right!

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

Hey! My nephew calls me Autnie M...I don't think I like having my nickname bandied about on an ugly thread! ROFL!

Just kidding....but I do have a contribution or two for the ugly thread. Part of the problem is that the heat and drought struck. I normally try to water daily, btu usually I can skip a day hre and there. Ishouldnot have skipped yesterday. The heat index today was 102....and the two DLs that bloomed today wilted before they were fully oepned...plus they were both FFOs so they weren't at the top of their game anyway.

I was thinking this was supposed to be Denali..but I just realized it is Siloam Double Classic

This message was edited Jun 22, 2006 2:20 AM

Thumbnail by BamaBelle
Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

This one isn't quite as bad...but it is still wilted.

FFO Imperial Inca

Thumbnail by BamaBelle
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Bama! I'm itching to know - if it's 102 on the day before summer starts what on earth does it get to in the worst of summer?

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I had 2 heavy late freezes on April 28 and April 30 in 2005. I am still scarred by the sight of those buds... The first scapes on EVERYTHING were effected. I couldn't bear to take pictures.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Chief Four Fingers got scalped today. I will post his three fingered sisters elsewhere. They're quite lovely!

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

Rosy Return's needed to stay gone a bit longer.. actually it looked great this morning.. but heavy rains strong winds and burning sun in the afternoon took their toll

This message was edited Jun 22, 2006 2:24 PM

Thumbnail by Colquhoun
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

ginger, I had wanted to get Chief Four Fingers later this summer. Does he always open like that?

In re your Blue Eyed Curls cv. I have seedlings blooming of Cameroons X Blue Eyed Girls that are spiky, slicked, and distorted. Do you think this is their BEG heritage - or typical first bloom on seedlings?

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Don, Have you worked with Chief Four Fingers? I'm doing my first crosses with it this season. In our garden here I've never seen it open like that. Hopefully that's a fluke. I love your comment on the fingers!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I can't wait for my Darla Anita to bloom this year. Last year every bloom was ugly. If she doesn't shape up this year, she's out of here.So far this year Terry Lyniger is only having ugly blooms too. Some of these women seem to take awhile to settle in.

susan

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

That was the first time I've seen it open poorly, but the % of polytepaling has been fairly low for me. Last year was the first real year of blooms. I haven't kept track of the % until this year. Of 7 blooms so far this year, only two were polys. I haven't crossed it.
As far as BEC is concerned, I'm waiting to see its performance this year. If the deer don't attack, I should have a good test, as my club gave me some fans of it to grow as well as my own which is growing pretty well.
Terry is doing pretty well for me in its first year. Got it last fall. I'm waiting on Darla now. As I recall it was O.K. last year. As we know, what works well for one person doesn't necessarily do it for another, especially relating to climate, but I guess other factors as well.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2006 6:46 AM

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

FFO on Lavender Handlebars not looking too good

Thumbnail by hemlady
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

FFO on HONEST WAGES kind of wierd

Thumbnail by hemlady
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh. These pictures are breaking my heart. Poor daylily babies!!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Are you already for Blue Eyed Curls? I noticed this morning that it has a bud ready to open tomorrow. Even the bud looks weird, so get ready for a real contender for most ugly!

This message was edited Jun 23, 2006 12:42 PM

Thumbnail by gingerjar

Oh my! It looks like a belly dancer with her arms up in the air and hands together. ;o)

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Please post it tomorrow...heehee

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

How about this Terrible Trio? I'm not sure what artist painted these Art Gallery Decos, but I sure hope they go back to art school.
Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Oh, Susan. How hot did you heat Moby's bag of hot nickels before you beat them with it? Those puppies are burned up!

I personally think that must be why so many uglies are cropping up so early this year. It's just too hot an dry in many areas. And for those of us who don't/can't water, that's really taking its toll.

I have more dead meat on Daring Deception today; but it's just too disgusting to post - even worse than the one I posted yesterday.

But Elly Launius is only looking a little ugly. Maybe it's the chicken pox. LOL

Thumbnail by mickgene
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here's proof that fantasies rarely work out in real life ~

Frankie's Fantasy

Thumbnail by Moby
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Frankie's False Fantasy...lol...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

So true.....

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Hopefully the next one will be pretty...:-)

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I figured you Ugly thread afficionadoes (Sp?) might want an update this evening of Blue Eyed Curls first bud.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Oakland, CA(Zone 10b)

Looks like she's already covering her face . . .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.