Ugly Thread 2006

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Eclipse of the Heart was so beautiful last year. Let's hope the eclipse passes after today.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

4201, that one is scary!!!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I was so happy to have blooms that I couldn't put any over here.. but this one I had to put here.. OPEN HEARTH.. It has two petals layered under another petal and looks like it's been chewed on

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

OK..I worked a 12 hour shift last night.. only slept 5 hours once I got home.. it's my only excuse.. here's the pic, duh

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Jazz, your red flower does not look like Open Hearth. Here is what it looks like.

Thumbnail by hemlady
Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

That's what it looks like? I just gave all of mine away! Groan. The pics I've seen aren't nearly that pretty and I sent it in the secret trade because I knew the person liked ones that poly occasionally. I guess I'd better wait for them to bloom before I judge them! New saying:

Don't judge your blooms before they've opened!

Leslie :p

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Eclipse of the Heart Attack?

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

Jazz: Your's looks more like Red Volunteer.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

In defense of all the "uglies", I have learned this about daylilies where I live: I have a Russian Rhaphsody that it beautiful when blooming in cool weather....nice deep urple...when the heat hits, it's definitely an "ugly".....Maybe some of these uglies will look better in different seasons or if you moved them to more ...or less...sun....

I'm far from being an expert on daylilies, but it seems to me that some colors look best in cool weather and others look best in warmer...

My "Ribbon Candy" is beautiful right now...warm.....in the cool weather it's a ugly....

Anyone else find this to be true?????

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, JasperDale, my Malaysian Monarch is ideally situated (accidentally but happily) in afternoon shade. Now I guess I'll have to move Russian Rhapsody!

From photos I've seen, of plants I've had for many years, they may like the sunshine but don't look half as nice as when they have some protection from the hot afternoon sun.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Black Plush is ahead by a sepal!

Blue Eyed Curls is in the running again. Both made me laugh.

Here is my offer for the day, no award winner but still... Destined to See has become Destined for the Ugly thread. Perhaps it was blinded by the light.

Mary Jo

Thumbnail by mariajose
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

My ugly flower for the day is MATT

Thumbnail by hemlady
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

hmm wondering if I got some tags mixed up.. That pic you posted looks suspiciously like my Flaming Poppa..

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

That looks like Open Hearth Jazz.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Hemlady and Sybil.. You are correct it isn't Open Hearth.. and the flaming Poppa isn't flaming Poppa..

The pic I first posted is Jolly Heart and the one I posted as Flaming Poppa is of course Open Hearth.. sigh.. I trusted my memory vs looking at the tags.

Can I use the worked a 12 hour night shift/sleep deprivation excuse again???

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Blue Eyed Curls is trying its darndest to repeat this year. Here's the blooms from the plant i had last year.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

And this is from the one I got from the club to grow as a club plant.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Oakland, CA(Zone 10b)

You may just need to use a club on it . . . or did someone already?

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Beleve it or not, near the end of its blooming time last year, it was really quite beautiful, but what you have to put up with until then!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm about ready to club this ~ Something Splendid. This is it's 3rd year in the garden and I've yet to see a great bloom on it. Whoever named it must have been drunk.

Thumbnail by Moby
Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

That Black Plush is kinda threadbare, LOL.

I didnt even get a raised eyebrow on Starle.

Thumbnail by Dravencat
Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Moby, I guess daylily parents are like human ones and every child is beautiful to them!

A face only a mother could love fits a lot of daylilies regardless of the breeder.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Belle Lavande that is not so Belle

Thumbnail by FLStu
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

And now I offer you today's version of the lovely, the talented BEC. Ta Da!

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Just lovely Gingerjar! lol..what is up with all these flowers blooming lopsided? Here's my FFO on Double Encore.

Lopsided.. beaten and battered! At least I saved it from a Japanese beetle!

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm rolling on the floor laughing over the photos and captions. Between the tears I saw a lot of DL I've considered and some I have!

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

gingerjar: I'm afraid if it was me and I had a DL that was THAT ugly 2 years running, it would be fed to the geese. Unless, of course, you just want to keep it to have "UGLY" bragging rights. LOL!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Janet, how'd we both wind up with (truly awful) Startle??? LOL.....I'll give this thang one more year.

Isn't it a shame that most of us actually PAID for these plants?

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby Spider is normally one of my favorites, but today it looks weird.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

It seems like everyone is getting that splotchy look on their flowers this year. I have never had so many look like that.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I don't think David Kirchoff would want his name associated with this bloom.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Well, my morning viewing of Startle had me in such a startling tizzy that I had the camera-shakes! (And believe me, the blurry picture is probably doing the DL justice.)

Here's today's bloom......(Heaven forbid what this DL will do for fanfare tomorrow.....)

Thumbnail by LynnCanGrowIt

I just happened to notice that when I came to this thread there were over 350 threads and can't help wondering how much money was invested to get these results.

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's my 'UGLY' for the day: FFO on 'Mean As A Snake'. Looks like Moby's bag of hot nickles made a visit to my area.

Thumbnail by sybiltwo
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Wonder if we should start a new thread for the Dialups?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Nah, I hit that one was with hot buckshot.

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

Moby, you crack me up!!!!!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

These are the first two blooms on Wild Child. The first is the worst and the child needs discipline, so has been sent to the ugly thread. I'm afraid the other needs a spanking too.

Thumbnail by gingerjar

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.