What's blooming?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Kim,
That is a beauty!!! Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't pick up the couple I'd seen clearanced at my Lowes...grrr! At the time I wasn't sure if I'd know what to do with it. Never had one before...LOL
Chantell

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks! Chantell, I wasn't sure either what to do, it hasn't really received any special treatment from me, but I have heard that phals are easier than other orchids. Case and point, my parents got me a beautiful orchid for Christmas last year....it kicked the bucket this winter. Go figure. Here is a link to a pic of all the blooms: http://community.webshots.com/photo/171170481/2559669000044472573XeriYS

:) Kim

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful plants, Kim!!! I just realized - you're stuck with me on the house plant round robin...gee, aren't you lucky!! LOL

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Lol! I didn't realize that either! Boy, I sure hope you like what I send. I always worry about that on these swaps. This is my first one through DG. I sure hope things are rooting ok...better go check!

Kim

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

No worries...it's my first one ever...and the one I send to is the one who set the whole thing up...no pressure there...LOL. I like any/everything...that's part of my problem. :)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Blue Eyes....I saw you BEAUTIFUL Bella on your Webshots! So jealous! Wish I could find one here fully rooted. I've killed every cutting given to me :( As a matter of fact, Chantell is starting me some cuttings AGAIN. I LOVE this plant and it HATES me for some reason. Do you have any advice on how to grow it successfully? I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Kim

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Kim! Funny you should mention that...I battled spider mites on that thing for 2 years and this winter I finally let it die. It was a real bummer because I loved it, it always bloomed well for me. I tried taking cuttings from it but they didn't make it either. Before it was attacked by bugs, I had it in a north window in Ohio. I put it outside on my north facing porch on the summer. Now that I am in TX I have an east porch so many of my hoyas will probably be heading out there in another couple weeks. I also have a shaded area in the back. It's also touchy with water, doesn't like to dry out all the way but also doesn't want to be soaked...probably another reason it declined with me. Plants that are fussy never do well for me I do have a small rooted cutting from a nice trader that so far is doing well. Hope this helps!

Kim

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

K & K,
Finally got my film (yes, I still prefer using my old SLR) developed...here's 2 of Bella's blooms. Kim in ME - your cuttings are rooting nicely, FYI.
North windows are good...Walmart pots (you got those Kim) are great...water 1x a week to bi-weekly and they do just fine...no worries.
Chantell

Thumbnail by Chantell
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Chantell......Walmart pots?
Do you mean a specific type of pot, or the pot the plant came in and it's soil, or ????

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I love a particular line of pots Walmart only carries spring/summer. I use them for everything from Cacti to tropicals! They are GREAT!!! This year they only come in moss green and an off white color...but still I'll suck it up and buy up all their whites. The bottom of these are elevated so you don't have to put stones at the bottom for fear of your babies' roots sitting in water. Name on bottom of pots read MISCO - Misco Enterprises. You can top water or bottom water (works great for AV's) with these. I love them!!! Hate when I have to use other pots...so I stock up while they're there!!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful picture of your Bella, Chantell. I was surprised when my Bella bloomed this year when I had just gotten cuttings in the fall. I had placed them in water to root and after they rooted, potted them up and than they went under my grow lights.
:) Donna

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

We need some more pics in this thread (LOL), so I'll include my amaryllis 'Dancing Queen', which is blooming now.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Donna - Wow...that's amazing...doing something right, girl!!! :) Mine came in a teeny solo cup w/2 leaves...took a couple of years before I saw blooms.

K - beautiful flower!!! very nice!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Gorgeous, Kylee!!

Not a bloomer, (more of a peeper!) but you've got to check out these photos I took this morning!!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/587586/

I probably should have posted that somewhere else....I'd forgotten that the GD forum didn't have thumbnails!

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful amaryllis! None of mine bloomed this year, probably due to being unpotted for moving and such. They'll be going outside under the tree for the summer.

:) Kim

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous, Kylee!! Chantell, sometimes I do something right....lol.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Very pretty amaryllis! ; )

I've got some holiday cacus blooming again, also.

Thumbnail by cjolene
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

cj - such prettys!!!
Ah Donna....you always do good!!! Look how you've inspired us w/your pics!!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful colors, cj!

You're to funny, Chantell!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Donna,
Humor=Sanity...gotta have it!!
C

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Amen to that!

Here's some cyclamen that's blooming now...

Thumbnail by cjolene
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Oooooh, purrrrrrty!

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

My hubby and I were at the store yesterday and he saw some cyclamen and he started going off on how nice it looked and how we should get some. I said, "You're kidding, right?"

He didn't get it.

I told him we had some at home blooming right now.

He's never noticed it!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

To funny...lol!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

It's that male selective memory thing

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Okay, more blooms here!

Phalaenopsis 'Summer Beach' just opened today:

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Second round of paperwhites:

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Amaryllis 'Misty':

Thumbnail by kbaumle
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Ooooh....all gorgeous!!
'specially that Phal...I don't recall seeing one that color!

Your amaryllis are just a kickin' aren't they, Kylee?!
(How many do you have, BTW?) lol!

And to think that not long ago, *you* said you didn't do well with houseplants!!! Something's changed, girl!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ditto to the Phal...what a unique color!!!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks! Yes, Nan, it wasn't all that long ago that I 'bragged' about my murderous ways with houseplants. I'm learning!! Amaryllis, let's see........

Cybister 'Papilio'
Cybister 'La Paz'
Green Goddess
Misty
Susan (the one with the virus)
Dancing Queen
Red Lion
Minerva (I think - it might be something else similar)
Apple Blossom (didn't bloom)

As for the Phal.....it doesn't look like the picture on the website, as far as color goes, but that picture I posted is what it looks like here.

Kylee

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

That's quite an Amaryllis collection!
I really do love them, too, but I can *not* get them to re-bloom, so I've given up on them, since my house is already so full of plants!!

Well....I don't care *what* that Phal looked like on the website....it's really a beautiful color!!
(What did it look like on the website, btw?)

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Like this..........

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow!! Now THAT looks like a bowl of yummy sherbert!!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I like *yours* better, Kylee!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

:-)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous, Kylee!!

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Just love that color!!! It looks so much brighter than the other picture, too!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a NoID AV blooming right now and an Oncidium Sharry Baby Sweet Fragrance JUST about to open it's buds! I don't know how to post two pics on one reply, so I'll do two. :)

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

And the Oncidium....maybe this will be fully open in one week. The fragrance is supposed to smell like chocolate/vanilla. Hmmmm..........I can't wait until they are all fully open!

Thumbnail by GrowHappy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.