Secret Houseplant Trade?

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I was reading through a thread on the Plant Trading forum for a secret plant trade. My problem is that most people specify "no houseplants", and almost all of my plants are houseplants. It sounded fun, but I wouldn't make a good participant because of that. What do you all think of doing a houseplant trade? I'm sorry that I couldn't be the organizer, though, because we are getting ready to move and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do a good job. If other people like the idea, maybe someone will step up and we can get something going? If not, by next year maybe I'll have more of an outdoor garden at our new house and I can participate in theirs. :)

--Dana

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

That's a great idea Dana.
Since so many folks are leary of organizing a trade perhaps this thread can just be a gathering place for all those like us who would love to trade houseplants,too.

Everyone can put a up few pics of what they have to trade and then firm up the final trade by email,etc.

The AV folks have started a leaf trading thread and it looks like it's working pretty good for a few folks. It won't be a secret trade, but it might be easy for more folks to join in than having to met certain deadlines or plant minimums, since there is so much going on this time of year. I'd be interested but can't commit to sending trades until after the second weekend in June.

Great idea!
MsC

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Great idea!
Kaleem

Greenback, TN

I want in! I have a ton of houseplants but am always looking for new ones.

I can offer cuttings from philodenron scadens Brasil, pothos (golden), wandering jew (the purple/green one), purple passion, weeping ficus. I can also offer a few legs from my rabbit's foot fern if anyone wants to try thier luck with those. I have many more but need more coffee to post complete list.

I am looking for:
neon pothos
sweet olive
lipstick plant
pocketbook plant
plumosa fern
bird's nest fern
goldfish plant
inch plant
croton (any)

This message was edited Jun 16, 2005 9:23 AM

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

tammy, wow! I did a mapquest to see where Greenback is. You must live in a beautiful place. I live one mile south of MEM in Mississippi. It's flat here, and I know where you are must be BIG mountains... Lucky you!

I also have house plants that I would be happy to trade... I'm gonna mark this thread just in case this ever gels for us.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Doesn't look like it jelled!!!!

Judy

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Yeah, I guess not. I guess I'll participate in the regular one next year. Plus, we just bought a new house, and there are lots of neat plants there. I'll make a better participant then. :)

Danak,
Don't lose hope... timing is everything:)

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

MsC,

Is it too hot to ship??

Judy

No Judy, it's not really too hot... I just have a son getting married this weekend and I can't get my together - together to join in...lol

MsC

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I also realized at this point that I don't really have anything good to trade, except African Violets! I mostly just have things I want, and in that case, maybe I should just buy them and root cuttings to trade later. :)

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

I would love this type of trade!!!!!

Greenback, TN

I'm ready whenever ya'll are!

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Tammy, from what I gather someone needs to be the organizer...is there a thread somewhere that tells how to get something like this started?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

MsC's wedding is the weekend so she might not be around today to give info. Go to one of the other "exchange" threads and see if they list the rules. Please whoever starts this "exchange" start it with a new thread.

Judy

Greenback, TN

I edited my list - anyone have any of those to trade?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Tammy, sorry I don't

Judy

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I would love this type of trade as well..i do have alot of houseplants..like spider, wondering jew , philo, 2-3 differents types and some others that i will have to get names for...i would be willing to share what I have some different kinds of houseplants.

Will make a list later, how now i am mowing the lawn in 90 degree weather, with a push mower no less..and was just taking a break.

Char :o)

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

I might want in on this trade too. I have a cryptanthus, a clivia, and a big leafed philo that would be good trades. Jenny

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Can you all take a picture of your Philodendron and post them on this thread. PLEASE!!!

Greenback, TN

yea, I'm interested in the big leaf philo too if there is enough for 2 trades there. I also have more plants if ya'll can list a want list I'll see what I have. Judy, what all are you looking for?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Only big leaf Phils or Cane Begonias

Judy

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

ok guys in for another break..wooohooo it is HOT out there...

Yes i will take a pic of all the houseplants i have and if there any way i can seperate them i will surely do that for the trade. I will try to take the pictures later and post them very soon. I have another at least couple hours in the yard with weeding, mowing, weed whackin, So please be patient with me.

Thanks Alot...this is gonna be a fun trade, i can feel it already :o)

Char

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm not going to be able to do too much trading.

Judy
www.puppygal.com/house.html

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Just wanted everyone to know that I have an emergency situation out of town, which requires my full attention.

As best I can recall I only owe JanetS (3-4 lavender iris tubers) plus will owe Wandasflowers & iamakylady53 for postage on Iris. I have sent them emails asking for $ amount so I can get it to them immediately

If you are in the process of sending your end of the trade in which you have already received the plants I sent you, please go ahead there will be someone here to receive the plants, except for MichaelP, I've asked him to hold off shipping..

All my other trades, recently made were based upon me shipping first. These must be cancelled until such time as I can deal with the situation and return home. Please do not hold plants for me.

Don’t worry about us (DH is BigDaddy99) we’re fine, although this is very stressful.

Big Hugs,

Judy

Greenback, TN

Judy, You will be in my thoughts - hope all turns out well.

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Here are pics of the types of houseplants that I have for trade. Of course these are my large ones, not the small plants for trade. The first is a clivia which is blooming now. The plant I have for trade is also blooming. Jenny

Thumbnail by sh1025
Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Now the crypanthus.

Thumbnail by sh1025
Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Finally the philodendron. The trade will be cuttings of this plant which I am currently rooting. Jenny

Thumbnail by sh1025
Greenback, TN

What are you looking for Jenny? I would like a start of the philo... I have 70 types of houseplants so surely I should have something...

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

sh1025 - please save me a start of the phil... all he-- has broken loose here... but I will be back with you shortly

Judy

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Don't have anything special in mind. Just let me know what you have to trade. I do have enough of the philo for two trades so Judy I will save you a couple of pieces. Jenny

Greenback, TN

I am going to divide my coffee plant early next week... would you like that? Also I have pothos, purple passion, hoya bella, mini bella or carnosa, wandering jew zebrina...

sh1025,
I'd love to trade you something for one of those beautiful Cryptanthus! Wow, that's a beauty.
I have several other types of the same plant or something else from my garden if you like???

Let me know.

TammyTn,
I could trade you for a purple passion and wouild take the hoyas too. Whatch looking for???

MsC

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

A piece of the coffee plant or wandering jew sounds nice. It's a trade.
MsC, yes I'll trade for a different cryptanthus. They are so hard to find around here. In fact I got that while visiting Hodges Gardens in Louisiana and haven't seen one since. Jenny

Jenny
Wonderful....I'll send you some info:)
I love my cryptanthus...mine are huge comapared to what I thought they would get when I first started collecting them.

MsC

Greenback, TN

Jenny, I will shoot you an e mail with info on monday. Thanks for the trade!

Mrs. C., I'm easy, there is a short list higher on the thread but it isn't set in stone. What cha got to get rid of?

Tammy I'll send you an email with some info.....

MsC

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

MsCritterKeeper, I'll get your cryptanthus mailed out on Monday.
TammyTN - I'll wait for your email on Monday before sending yours

Judy Cooksey - I'm saving a start of the Philo for you. Let me know when you're ready for it. Jenny

Greenback, TN

Judy when you get back if you can I would like to arrange a trade for some of the satin pothos aka silver philo...let me know - hope all is well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.