Snatchin' Part X... Salvaging at the Dump

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Sugarweed - It's good to ALWAYS carry tools! You never know when you might need to snatch some plantings!

I "rescued" a failing PJM Rhododendron from a bank parking lot across from my MIL's house 4 years ago. ......O.K..... I stole it. It wasn't doing well. One week later they ripped all those poor plants out. I wish I'd gotten more, but- I didn't carry tools back then. That PJM is healthy and safe in my front yard. It has gone through so much! It's right next to my front porch, and it has survived a Collie falling on it, my daughter falling on it, and grout being thrown on the ground around it by stupid tile workman. Why would you throw grout mixture into someone's garden??!! The alliums all died but the Rhodie is still going strong!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

HAHAHA!

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Good job rescuing!! ~ Suzi :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the mallow link... hot & dry... that counts me out! LOL!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

You think? Woe be the workman that trashes anyone's garden.
My Aunt Anabele was an avid gardener. She had show stopping Iris and a perfectly manicured yard. At age 75,DM was visiting and they were dividing the irises. At one point Anabele exclaimed "Virginia, watch what you're doing! You're getting dirt on my grass."
I still get a big smile when I remember them.
sidney

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Sugarweed, That made me laugh out loud. I suppose I was a bit harsh talking about those tile installers.

Did you get any of those show stopping iris?

Well Ms Tamara Faye, aka Fritch has had an open invitation to divide and harvest. I may get out there to help her in a month or so. I had to get trees cut so I might grow them.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Fritch is here, been lurking. Can't keep up with all the wtached threads, much less look around or get involved in too much conversation!

Mom has physical therapy in Borger for four more weeks after this one. But it is only 30 minutes long, sometimes 45, and then I take her home, and household and garden and kids take over my life. Oh, how I would love to be getting some dirt on your cousin's grass =)
What trees are you talking about, cutting to grow?

I removed large diseased water oak, big palmeto palm and a tree of that bush that is usually pruned into shapes. It was 20' tall. I also hobbled a mimosa to make a plant stand and table.
Before I had way too much shade for iris or many other things.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

You have been hard at work... so ready for some irises? Bet I can get some others from a friend in Amarillo. Though they may not want ot thin them till fall, I'll ask...

No, I wait and get Anabele's I need to see DC at least once a year. We're both orphins now. (;>). Besides, she had every "to-die-for" that she was aware of. I'll call you and we'll make a party of it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey, Frederick is not far from DC.... give me a holler if you're up this way!

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

HEY OUT THERE!!!!!!! Looks like I must have lost the bus quite a while back! How ya'll doing here, new faces, that's great! My ailing body hasn't stopped me too much in my snatching, dumster diving stuff this Spring, teehee..... LOL LOL, It's been a blast! My little snippers come with me wherever I go, even the movies, Ya never know what you'll miss out of, nah not me, I live and breathe snatching! Those poor little fallen cuttings at HD, I just have to save them, well, don't I???? Got more seeds at Kaiser, feel like I live there lately, and all those poor little seeds going to waste, can you believe every season at the Oakland facility they just TROW AWAY tons and tons of drop dead gorgeous tulip etc bulbs, I missed it, dang it anyhow! The caretakers of the garden did clip some beautiful Roses for me, now growing in my yard! Soo many seeds from my walks, now I need more energy to sow them, har har!!!!
Hey Ivy, You're good really good, I spent awhile reading up here, goodness sakes! And you Pixydish, hiding in the closet so long just LURKING at our site, hummmmm, glad you decided to jump right in, we all need new friends like that for sure.
Sidney still hanging in there, miss ya sweetie!!!
Weez is coming out of the snow, bout time gal, hope opening day was great for ya!
NC, I hadn't seen ya round the threads, now don't hide out, ya still working?
Mystic, nice snatch WOW, perdy!!!!!
Judy, so glad to see ya still here too!!!!
Hummm, looks like we're missen a few, I'll have to round them up, on to the rally, lol.
Not sure who I'm missing, but welcome, oldtimers, so good to be home again, it's been a long time!!
Yours in The Garden of Life,
Snatching Annie

Well, you know Annie, sometimes a person just has to lurk around listening at doors until they know it's safe to come out! Admitting you have a problem is the first step! LOL
So tomorrow there is a huge, huge garden show at Pt. Defiance Park in Tacoma. I think I am at risk here. No real opportunity for snatching, but I better leave my credit card at home.
I have, in the past, snatched some cuttings from a red/white variagated camelia in the park, but snatching cuttings is a waste of time for me. I'm a cutting failure. They always die on me. I thought it was because they are snatched goods! But it looks like I was wrong!

Oh, forgot my latest snatch, which wasn't really technically a snatch, but it felt like one. I went to Lowes really early yesterday morning and they were clearancing out a bunch of plants. I got (for 1$ each) 3 azaleas, 5 gerbera daisies, 4 begonias in bloom, and a little palm that was likely dead, but was in an italian clay pot that i loved. Then for $.50 each I got 4 'silver king' artemsias, and 5 white guara, gallon sized. I'm calling that a haul, but it felt like a snatch almost!

This message was edited Jun 2, 2005 9:54 PM

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

The first step is to admit you have a problem, and the second step is to admit you don't care. A dumpster, is, in fact, only a hunk of metal, and sometimes a plant just calls your name.

There's "snatchin" and then there's "rescuing". Dumpstered plants deserve to be rescued!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Annie! I'm still around but haven't been posted too much lately! Glad to see you back to Snatchin!!!

Nicole

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I guess I really didn't understand snatchin very well. I thought it was all rescue plants!

I too have terrible luck with cuttings. I was able to snatch some perennial sweet pea from a neighbor once but she actually wanted it gone, so I'm not sure if that counts! I took home the biggest clump in the world!

The only thing I have ever REALLY snatched (besides the Rhodie) is a bunch of "Butter and Eggs" from the side of the highway. It lived in my yard near the rocky driveway for two years and then disappeared.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok here's something I snatched here at work! Pic is from my cell so it' s not the greatest.. Anyone know what this vine is? I will try to get a better pic if no one can figure out by this pic.

Nicole

Thumbnail by ncgardenaddict
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

It's pretty.

Oh! I just realized I snatched my Devil's Ivy from work and rooted it in a glass! I AM a real snatcher!

This message was edited Jun 3, 2005 2:25 PM

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Ivy! Some of the leaves on another vine are actually pink/peach in the middle. Still others are solid green.. Can't figure this one out or what it is! The stems are hairy. The plant trails by twining it's stems around things. I don't know if it flowers or not. We shall see! I am thinking of checking back before I leave to see if there are more cuttings left. The plant people came and trimmed today - they left the cuttings in the ladies room! LOL!! If there are more I will take them home and try to root them. If I have enough I will offer them to you guys if you want some. Let me post a pic of the pink leaved ones..

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Here are the pink leaves! I need to figure out how to use the camera better - I think I am getting too close!

You can see the color though.

Thumbnail by ncgardenaddict
Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

is it a thick leaf? Hoya like? I want some!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, of course I couldn't leave well enough alone and have already been in the bathroom for more! I am going to take them home. It's weird though, how the leaves are so many different colors! Mystic I don't know my Hoyas but the leaves are rather thick! I have mostly solid green ones from the most recent snatch but one of them has some varigation!!

Would you rather me root them first then mail or mail and you root? Either way is fine by me! I will take a pic of the ones I collected too so you can see what I have. These pink ones I am going to be selfish about and keep. Hopefully I can get them well rooted too and be able to send some once they grow though!

Nicole

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Hi Annie~
We have missed you, glad you are posting again! Still making a lot of trips to the hospital? I don't know how you do it, so glad your garden has been rewarded though =)
no snathcin today, too much rain...

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

How big are the leaves and plant, NC? The ones in the first shot look smaller than the ones in the second, or is that an optical illusion? Are they all smaller than your hand?

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I am usually hit or miss with rooting-- if you are more experiance with it-- go for it! Thanks!!!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I will TRY and get my digital camera to work tonight so I can take better pics. I am hit or miss too Mystic but I will give it my best shot!!

Seward, AK

Nicole, definitely a variagated Hoya. I covet all hoyas, I recognized it immediatly! LOL The " Hindu Rope Hoya" is my favorite.
The "Other Carol"

This message was edited Jun 3, 2005 12:39 PM

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Carol! Kewl!! I have read on DG about Hoya but never looked to see what they actually look like! I did a stupid thing though - getting my son out of the car Friday forgot about my bag full of goodies and they stayed in the car all weekend! Noticed them this morning - they look exactly like they did Friday though so hopefully they will make it. I filled up my kitchen sink and just dumped them all in there before I left for work.

Oh and my digital camera is DEAD DEAD DEAD :( I dropped it several weeks ago but could finagel it to work for awhile. Now it won't even take a pic! Will keep working on it though..

Nicole

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Is Sugarweed OK??? I haven't seen her posting lately so I was concerned.

Judy

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

She posted over in the weather forum earlier today. Busy traveling and such. I'll go drag her back LOL

I'm fine, only time to lurk and meditate.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

That's gonna be me for the next few days. Company coming on Sunday and I have to get all these plants straightened out, clean the house and bath the critters.

Judy

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I snached some fan floers from a pot at Outback Stekehouse tonight-- hopefully they'll root form cuttings LOL!!!!

Heather

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Hi sugarweed!

Can you call it snatchin if they offer it to you? I stopped at the greenhouse in Bunavista today, and she gave me three hanging pots of citronella. So I decided maybe I should buy more than just compost, and picked out a few perennials, and some marigolds. Then she gave me a flat of herb: rosemary, lemon balm, and creeping thyme!

I will be lurking or non-present, mowing, weeding, planting. Basically last chance...

Took a long time to load this thread, are we ready to take off on number eleven?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yep, once again it is time to fire up the ol' bus and head on over to the new Seed Snatchin' thread! http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/518298/

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

My wife and I went out this evening on recon for wisteria seeds. Right now they pretty much look like a green pea pod so we are keeping eagle eyes on them waiting to see when they will turn brown so we can snatch em. If anyone can tell us when the best time is to snatch em, please let us know. Weez, you sure have been an inspiration to us all!!!! We've always been snatchers, but you got us on a roll!! LONG LIVE WEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see ya,

Mike

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Mike, the bus kept going... take the hyperlink to catch up... ~ Suzi :)

[HYPERLINK@davesgarden.com]

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.