Snatchin' Part X... Salvaging at the Dump

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Way to go Ivy1!!!

Welcome to the snatchin' thread!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks, everybody! If my maple keeps up this rate of growth, I'll have a monster on my hands!

Weezingreens- our dump has a set of old metal bookshelves where people leave all the old toys, radios, canisters, pots, etc.. . My daughter likes the toys she finds at the dump better than some of the pricey new stuff she gets! Maybe she's another snatcher in the making!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Little Snatcher!!! Raise The Right!! Alright!!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Way to go, Ivy. When I was a small child in the 50's, my mother would send my dad to the dump looking for canning jars and he would take me along. If I was good, he'd let me scrounge around and find a treasure. My poor mother was so upset when I'd bring back some flea bitten old teddy bear, but she'd wash it up and let me keep it. I guess some of us just see a gem when others see a weed.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

"I guess some of us just see a gem when others see a weed." That describes me to a tee. I am always finding a use for weeds, and getting excited like a little child when it works! My kids love going to garage sales. I wonder why I ever buy them new toys, they like the old ones best...

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

OK-- not a TOTAL snatch today -- as the owners were home and gave me permission.....

I got BAMBOO!!!! LOTS of it! Now before you all warn me about bamboo -- this is non- invasive- how do I know? The home owner was a member of the National Bamboo soceity and a nursery man-- and the best part...

It's dead! LOL!!! had ya goin for a second huh?? I have been driving past this house for a couple weeks just lookin at all the bamboo--- I mean this guy has a GROVE- which is hard to do in a suburban neighborhood... but I kept seeing the broken stuff by the side of the road. Well, we were out yard sale-ing today and I saw someone in the driveway. So somebody was home, so after I got the kids down for thier nap- I left DH home (shaking his head and thinking I'm nuts by the way) and grabbed gloves, twine, loppers, and a winning smile and went over to the house to beg.

Not only did they give me as much as I wanted, but the son of the owner was there and he cut it down for me and cut it into 4/5 ft. pieces for me!!! Now that's service!

I am using it to be the horizontal pieces of my veggie trellises -- I am growing, pumpkins, watermelons, catalope, mini pumpkins, 8 ball zukes all on trellis to save room. YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Heather

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, Heather, that does sound fabulous! Way to go!! If you have leftovers, pretty please will you bring some to the RU?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Wow, Heather! Wish I lived closer :-) Keep up the good snatchin' It's all about being observant, and taking the opportunities!!!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/20066/#new

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Interesting thread Dyson, thanks for posting it.

Mystic, Maybe you should try putting some in a pot, just in case it only appears to be dead, just to see if it was faking, lol.

I actually would like some bamboo - clumping kind only! I was thinking after fix up the west side of house, [couple yrs off] that an umbrella bamboo would be great! ~ Suzi :)

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh, that's how I got there. I had a field day at the swap yesterday, of course I don't know half the goodies I've got.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

ohhh-- this stuff is NOT touching the ground at all -- it is the horizontal part of the trellises -- read it goes like this ------------------ not down into the ground at all I'll take a pic later today!-- Jill I used it all-- but I am thinking about going and gettin some more-- if I do I'll grab ya some.

Heather

Very smart Heather. Some plants just scare me here in Florida, and Bamboo is one.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

PalmBob says it only grows from the roots and someone tried rooting part of the stalk but it didn't take.

Judy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

oooh, you'll have to post a picture of those trellises, I'll bet they look great! Heather, you know I'd love some if you get a chance -- thanks! I just can't stand paying a dollar or two per piece at the LGS! I'll share my scavenged pots for some bamboo.... BTW, I don't think you have to worry about cut stalks of bamboo, but the littlest piece of root/rhizome, and look out! Even the clumping ones can get out of control, but it's the running kind that I've seen come up in the middle of an asphalt driveway!

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I don't think so either-- and the homeowner assured me I wouldn't have a problem-- his yard was stunning with this huge Bamboo grove all around it -- and he said that this type is slow growing and easily controlled. However-- I took NO chances! LOL!!! and this bamboo-- it's not the skinny kind you get at the store- some of the piecs were 3-4 inches in diameter. we were cutting down 15 foot stalks and cutting them up. I soooo have to go back-- but I don't want to seem greedy... LOL!

Heather

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Heather,
I am sure they would rather share than throw it out! I would, so would you, yes? :)

Wow 3" is big.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

You could build a bamboo play house, patio top, dog house, planter cover etc,etc with those.

Judy

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Maybe I should change my wish to a running one... and dig a huge barrier for it. Could harvest enough to "build a bamboo play house, patio top, dog house, planter cover etc,etc " Also good for against fence, fishing poles, etc. ~ Suzi :)

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I need to "google" bamboo wood plants.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

http://www.chinabamboocentre.com/Image/2002IMAGE/P15.gif

The bamboo doors which could be used for a garden entrance are to die for!!!!!

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

That does it, I heard Heather peeling out of the drive to go for more all the way from here! LOL :)

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

That was funny!!!!!!!!

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

Here are the trellises--- LOL!!!!!! I coudn't peel out-- DH has the trailer full!

Thumbnail by mysticwill
Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

Next one-- first one will have cantalopes on it-- this one will have Jack o lanterns --

Thumbnail by mysticwill
Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

And this one will have Birdhouse gourds on it

Thumbnail by mysticwill
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Well you sure got in a hurry and got it DONE!!! Proud for you. They surely look like they would do the job.

Judy

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Heather,
Watch out, heard the kids saying something about goal, net and soccer ball. They even left the evidence in the first pic... LOL

Mine would say, cool monkeybars and try to climb them when I was out of sight. She is also the one that broke her arm in 3 places at the growth plate, spent 3 days in hospital, had surgery, 3 pins, about 6-7 casts and started kindergarten w/her arm fresh out of the sling.

As a 2nd grader, she is still hard to hold back even with that vivid memory in her head. Told me couple wks ago that she got up to the top of the monkey bars when she used to fall off the lower rungs just a short time ago... yep, monkey bars and soccer goals if were at my house.

Good luck! Have fun! Look great! They should hold up quite well and do you proud! ~ Suzi :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Those look fabulous! Bet they'd even hold up to Suzi's daughter!

That's a very nice set of raised beds you've got there, Heather!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I like that cute little fence to keep the critters out of the garden.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

And that's not all of them -- I have 8 4 foot sq. beds, one 3x9 bed (corn) 4 tires (taters and peanuts) and one more 3x 8 foot bed going in. Plus the bunnies, this is Feetie (she is such a flirt-- ever time I come in the garden I have to have something for her)

Ok-- back to snachin---

Heather

Thumbnail by mysticwill
Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

If by critters you mean my kids then yup! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I was thinking more along the lines of "our gang" of animals; stray dogs that came to stay, cats someone threw away plus we raise English Bulldogs and take in rescues. Always a full house of critters around here and never ever a dull moment. Exhausting moments, but no dull ones.

Judy

Heather, to get to my house, go to I-95, turn south. take exit 357 in Florida, turn left .8 mile on left. We'll find bamboo here.
sidney

Those are about the neatest thing I've seen in 20 years.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

Next time I"m visiting family in Penscola-- I'll take a day trip!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

Heather

Me thiinks it would take more than a day.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Well I finally got my garden in yesterday! Only a MONTH late! LOL!! That was only the plants too - still haven't put in squash, etc. seeds.. Snatched a Coleus from downtown Charlotte last week. Pretty little thing - i just snapped a piece off so the plant would branch off - that's all! Trying to do my part ya know!

LOL!!

Nicole

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

Nope-- about 7 hours~~ so we'll make it a weekend! LOL!!!!!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Judy - sounds like you snatch more than plants- how about animals?

We've only snatched a chinchilla, a poodle and a collie.

This message was edited May 23, 2005 10:09 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.