Let's see your Perennial pics....any kind

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

That is a beauty Wanda. I have red, pink and purple. The purple started blooming today. It really spreads fast. I have the purple all in the grass outside the bed. I guess I better make a bigger bed.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Suzanne:
I think there is NOT a way to post more than one image per posting, only per thread by doing just what everyone is doing here and "answering" yourself.

What some people do is use their art or photo program to make a collage-pic on own computer, save it as a separately named JPG and then attach that one to the post.

We are all used to scrolling down to the next message, don't worry about it!
~'spin!~

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

langbr, yours look more of a "cherry" color, mine look more like a "strawberry" color. They ARE very close though.

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Karrie they look a lot like my zing pinks mine have not bloomed yet this year, but will see if I can find an older photo.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Here are my salmon pink lupins..love them!

Thumbnail by Starzz
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

This one is new to me this year.
Drumstick Primrose. The purple one in back is the regular primrose that I am familiar with.

Thumbnail by Starzz
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Another plant new to me this year.
Guara Pink Fountain

Thumbnail by Starzz
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Starzz---I planted lots of primrose this past month and am really looking forward to them next year. Your bed is wonderful!!!

Alright all you Lupin(e) growers!!! What's the trick?? I've tried these 2 years in a row and I'm doing something wrong. What cultural tips can you give me because one way or another I'm gonna get these to grow in my garden!!! Please save future plants from certain death by letting me know your growing secrets!!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Starzz, I discovered yesterday that there seem to be no Guaras in the database. I am going to make an entry later when I can take pics under better lighting conditions. Please add yours as this is a color I do not have. I love this plant! Course I like wild looking gardens.

Here is Siskyou Pink. She is a big girl 3x3 and then some. My white is still a baby but is 3 foot tall.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I keep looking at Gaura in the catalogs but just have never ordered it. Does it have a long bloom season?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

It bloom for months here. It is a beautiful thing and brows fairly well from seed. Our Home Depots have started carying 1 gal plants too.

Port Neches, TX(Zone 9a)

My back yard garden. It is a hodgepodge of plants.

Thumbnail by midsgarden
Northern California, CA

Such pretty flowers everyone!
So many tempting ones too. :-)

Janice - try Gaura. :-)
http://plantsdatabase.com/search.php?search_text=Gaura

langbr -
I have white and the 'Blushing Butterflies'. They bloom pretty much from Feb-late October or beyond here, tend to get leggy, but come back after being pruned hard a couple of time a year.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

langbr,

Lupins grow very well here - maybe it's where you are from - not sure.

Mine grow best in full sun, well-drained (even a little sandy and dry) soil.

One of the plants in my front garden got so very big this year, I'm going to have to do something about it. It's taking up too much space - I have other flowers in there that don't get their "show" because of it, lol! It's at a point now where I can cut it back. Last year when I did that, it grew right back and bloomed again. Anyone know if these can be divided? I tried moving one last fall and it didn't make it - they get very very deep roots, and I think maybe I didn't get to the bottom of them - they have fussy roots - that is for sure.

I get volunteers very year - those are the easiest to transplant (when small) and they never land where you want them too, lol!

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

midsgarden! That is beautiful!! I hope my area looks as good as yours when I'm done!

Thumbnail by Osteole
(Zone 4b)

lupines dont transplant well and are best in a naturalized spot where they can run amuck!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

greta - mine tend to naturally seed themselves in cracks, crevices, etc..... lol! And...... they really like it where I grow my tomatoes! I move them when they are small - otherwise - they don't usually survive.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Lupines don't like my garden, too dry. Sand drains too fast. they have to grab a drink as the water seeps past them. [I guess]
midsgarden =- your garden is very inviting. That's not hodgepodge, that's country gardens, or cottage garden.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

how odd. Mine are in sandy soil, on a hill and thrive!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Gaillardia 'Goblin' aka Blanket Flower

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Unknown yarrow from my grandmother's old gardens

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Pentstemon 'Huskers Red' aka beardstongue

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

'Anthea' Yarrow

This message was edited Jun 12, 2004 6:54 PM

Thumbnail by langbr
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

langbr, how do you get your Penstemon to stand up? I have some about 3 feet tall and every year, they fall onto the lawn, like they want to be mowed. :( I end up hammering in stakes and taking nylon string to wrap them up. Is there a plant they should be near that will help them support themselves without all the ugly stakes and string?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Karrie - these are 1st year plants and so are only about 12-15" tall. They are tending to lean over and I've got the same concern that you mention. I've given some thought to this earlier this week about what to do next year or whether to plant some things near their base to help hold them up and I think I'm gonna try cutting them back in late spring to try to make them bushier. I'm a pincher/pruner for sure with nearly everything. If something is growing to tall or fast I give it a haircut. Not sure it will work with these. Maybe someone else has more experience with these. Sorry I'm not more helpful on this one.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

sure hope someone hopes in here and helps us! :)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Karrie, maybe the soil is too rich? I think most penstemons like a lean, well drained soil. Too much water and fertilizer might make them top heavy. My Husker's Red isn't particularly floppy.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

My desert penstemon stands 3ft tall and rigid... all the rest are cultivars that are to say the least lackadazical.
These deeply orange (pictures don't do justice) oriental lilies on the other hand stand tall above the rest of the garden.
They make a striking accent in my mostly pastel pallette.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Can't resist another shot, same group of plants.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I love that all eight of these flowering stalks came from one bulb planted years ago. this is the last of their pictures. It really is a deeper orange.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Over in the 'cellar door garden' my st. john's wort is blooming

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

langbr, here's my blanket flower - but it's tall. lQQks just like your 'goblin' to me.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

My carnations are still going strong and for the most part upright.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Couldn't be, Poppysue - this is very neglected soil. I think it's about half sand, half clay. It's on a hill, and on the top, so doesn't even get much water, as the water rolls down from it. I will take a pic of it tomorrow, or maybe after it starts blooming (it's starting to now). I have it up with string and stakes now, around a beebalm, to help hold it up for now. Maybe instead of putting it on the edge of the garden, I should place it somewhere else? Like more towards the center?

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I planted some trades last night in the dark (LOL much cooler for me and the plants) Went out this morning to see where I put them and found lots of blooms, keep in mind, to me they are all perennials. Let's start off with my Kim's Knee High Coneflower. This is the second blooming this year, and the entire plant looks so much healthier this time.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

I believe this is a phlox. I got them in a trade a couple weeks back. Very healthy plant when I got it and it recovered very quickly.

Edited to say: So many plants, so little brain to remember all their names.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2004 6:15 PM

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Then there is this caladium and liriope bed. I will be so depressed when the Caladiums go to sleep in the fall.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And finally, here is my crepe myrtle. I have to remind myself every winter that she's not dead, don't dig her up. Because as ugly and barren as she is in the winter, she makes up for it with this in the summer. Nat, if you are looking at this, this is the momma of the cutting I left with you in May.

I have more pics but I think I need to go to Vines & climbers and then tropicals for posting.

Thanks for letting me share.

:^)))
Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Oops, I forgot, two, no three more, my milkweed. I ripped all mine from last year out. They got too woody, these were seedlings this spring and blooming nicely already.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Butterfly bush I got in a trade this past spring. It was merely a twig clipping when I got it. Although it is still small, it's full of leaves and isn't that bloom a beautiful magenta?

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.