Pictures?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Libby if you have trees, try hosta! I grow a lot of both. There is lots of wonderful shade loving companion plants! If you can beat them, join them. Hosta forum is friendly too.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

I was just going to say Hosta's plus they are some wonderful ferns out there.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Teresa is right: hostas are wonderful and many love sun as well as shade.

I didn't expect that every inch was covered with daylilies but I am happy to see you have great fields of them.

In general, the darker the daylily the more it appreciates a little afternoon protection from the sun.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I have hostas,too, but last year the voles attacted and destroyed almost all of them in a matter of days. One I had, Big Daddy ???? , was huge, was the last in the bed .My DH moved it to another part of the yard and it isn't happy there. There is "always something" as the saying goes !!!

You can try sprinkling cayenne pepper around them. The voles are not very happy with the heat it causes and tend to avoid areas where they run into it.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

OMG! When y'all say you have RED dirt, you aren't kidding. LOL

It is so nice to see pictures of all of you!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Pirl - where do I get half an acre of cayenne pepper????

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Whole sale..truck load full ;-))).........LOL

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I'll take a truck load, too !!!!! Will it keep deer from eating my daylilies? If so, I will take several truck loads !

Wow! What a response. Try your local warehouse store for the best deals or a K-Mart or Wal Mart. If all else fails Atlantic Spice Co. on Cape Cod sells in bulk.

Any critter than puts it's paws to it's mouth, or breathes it in, will be burned the same way humans react. Works to coat bird seed, too. Will not harm birds: for them it's protien.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I read once that hot peppers don't affect dogs. I've never seen mine react to them. Anybody know if that's true?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I know that cayenne pepper never kept mine from digging like I was told it would.

Franklin Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Pirl, I missed reading this thread for a couple of days and MUST go back and comment about your handsome young therapist.... I've always heard that it doesn't matter where you get your appetite as long as you go home at mealtime! LOL You go girl! ;) sharon

Badseed... when I first saw the red clay here, I had the same reaction. The strangest part is not the soil... it's the red anthills and the red dirt~dobber nest. My Florida friends think it's a real hoot when they come to visit. I never really gave much thought to the color of these 'creature homes' but logic should have told me that they'd be the same color as the dirt, however, it still looks funny when you're not accustom to it. This is what's left of one I recently tried to eliminate by my front door.

Thumbnail by teateacher

teateacher: very cute saying!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm sure glad someone pulled up this thread. It's good to be able to put faces to the names. I hate to have photos taken and this one is a little old, but I haven't changed much. Most of the time you will still find me sitting on the ground with a cat or two around for company.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess

Oh... that is adorable! Thanks for sharing. sharon

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Susan ,
that IS ADORABLE,what a sweet little girl daydreaming away :-))...wonder what you were thinking ?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here' a more recent shot of me with my kids. Aren't they sweethearts?

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Susan I love your pictures, and you haven't changed much at all, just added some real cute "kids"!! You look good with them!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Susan, you are a riot! You have a sweet face too. :)

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Wow! What a fun thread! I started reading and didn't pay attention to the date. I have Tazzy's addy. and e-mail written down here to send her cards and gifts while she goes through her surgery and recovery. Only when I saw the bump did I notice the two year interval. No wonder the names before 2006 weren't sounding too familiar.

I love all the pictures. Not only putting names to faces but seeing what pictures people choose. Like so many, I'm the photographer in my family and don't have many pics of myself, which is fine with me! I have glamour shots, but this is much more typical. It was taken last Easter, just out of bed to see what the Easter bunny brought, no make-up but having fun with my family. At 45 with a 4 year old, what you see is that you get. I'll be glamorous again when he goes off to school.

It's nice to know that in the gardening world at least, folks generally love me just the way I am.

Leslie

This message was edited Mar 19, 2006 3:56 AM

Thumbnail by LaLambchop
Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

I DO look rough now that I see that in the thread. It scares even me! Here's a little better one.

Thumbnail by LaLambchop
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LaLambchop, you look nice in both photos. Do you have others kids too? That little guy should keep you young for a long, long time yet. It's nice that our gardening friends love us just as we are isn't it?

Susan

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Hi Susan,

Christian is the only one. Jim and I married late and then had two losses, but I'll have to say I don't know that as much as I miss them, I don't know how I could keep up with three if they were all like him! I hang out with an older crowd and most of my friends have grandkids Christian's age. God has a way of answering our prayers with a twist. I think it's His sense of humor.

Thank you for your kind words and for asking. What about you? Do you have kids?
And why are you up at 6:00 on Sunday morning? I'm ordering DL, of course! I just "found" Jerry Ridaught's site. It's on my list of local growers, but I'd never really checked it out before. He has a good selection and good prices.

Leslie

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Leslie, you look like a very happy family! Happy Easter to you. I have 4 kids. My oldest is 21, married a DD that is 18 and twins that are 14.
My MIL last child was born when she was 45!

Susan, I like cats/dogs too, aren't they great friends.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm afraid my only "kids" are the furry type, but I do have a lot of neices, nephews, great neices and great nephews to enjoy. I was at work when I posted earlier. I work as a nurse from 10:45 PM to 7:15 AM. Will have to check out that daylily site.

susan

Leslie~I've never had a glamour shot myself, oh my goodness, the one with the headbands would be a glamour shot in my book!!

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Well,I am usually the one taking the pics at my house so I don't have alot
of me but here I am.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2006 10:57 AM

Thumbnail by cceamore

Nice seeing you cceamore!!

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks good to see everybody whose posted their picture.Great idea Melissa!:)

This message was edited Mar 19, 2006 11:41 AM

Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

Here is me and Laura with Brian Mahieu on the left at our recent dig at his nursery...Hope my ugly mug doesn't crash everyones computers...LOL...

Thumbnail by dablaw

I found another one taken by my friend's boyfriend, me on the left and my best friend from college!
Who looks colder dablaw or me???

This message was edited Mar 19, 2006 4:41 PM

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt
Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

cceamore, what a sweet face!

dablaw, now I know what the folks who're sending all those daylilies to me look like!

I think you and dmcdevitt need to come to Florida and warm up.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

The Lily Society of Des Moines had a bulb sale last Saturday. We sold out to the walls by mid afternoon! Here are some of the DG members at dinner afterwards: ( from the left around the table)
llilyfan, wnadasflowers, Iowa Ron & wife Peg, Dave and wife Moby.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.