Best/Worse/What did I Learn Today? Come sit awhile and share your day..newcomers welcome!

Victoria Harbour, ON

We came from here

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1560550/?page=6#post_10557521

Yes Deb, likely same mass of storm is on his way, it’s actually brewing.
Nice that your company closed because of the weather, now for you to enjoy a 3 day weekend, get to play with the dogs, am sure they will be excited to play in snow.

Dianne, good thinking, which books did you download? I am with you, those weather liars are so often wrong but best prepare. I saw the other day the generator battery tender wasn’t plugged in, should go on back deck and check it out incase i need it. Knowing you are out of the town area you would be well stocked up on foods you need so that is a less of a worry.

Lindakay, how are you feeling? Able or feel like sewing yet?

I embroidered a towel this morning, think I will put the hand towel on the machine, still in jammies and won’t bother getting dressed today.

Just warming left overs from last night and enjoy early lunch

This message was edited Jan 12, 2024 12:36 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

That towel is so cute, Betty!!

I know I'm lucky that my company closed. Got the drive shoveled, it's 34F out now, and we're getting light rain. Will change back to snow later in the afternoon. When this freezes up the roads will be trecherous.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Good afternoon everyone. It's cold in Amarillo too. Next 3 days will be cold. High of 18, -1 at night, with high winds. Windchill is supposed to be -25.
I am starting to feel better. No more congestion in my chest, just in my head.
No sewing yet, I might go in the sewing room and find something to do.
Betty, when you first start seeing a chiropractor, it will make you sore. As they are adjusting you to try to put bones back in place that have been out of whack for awhile.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Glad to hear that you're feeling better, Linda Kay!
Betty - the chicken is frozen, and lasts a long time, piece at a time. It's my "go to" for meals. Quick to make in my Air Fryer - 3 pieces = 15 min on bake at 400F

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

We have weather advisory too. Our predicted weather is well below freezing for a week. It's 11F right now. We got up to more snow this morning. We had the re-inspection at 12.30 today of the Cotswold house (the one we are buying).

Marie's grandson does not have school today and he wanted to earn money. Marie had him go into the attic and take EVERYTHING down. Then everything off the top shelfs in the garage so we can sell, donate or whatever... it's gotta go.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wind has really come up in the last hour, if the snow does come, nobody will get anywhere in any hurry, treacherous as well.

Not too bad Deb, if it rains then freezing best place to be is in the house and off the roads. You have tomorrow and Sunday that you can stay in and play.

Glad to hear Lindakay you are feeling much better, do you have any other craft you can do quietly, something you can just pick up and sit down and not lose your spot?

DratsI spent about an hour and a half down loading some new designs on the USB stick I just bought and for some reason it saying it won’t open when I put it in my embroidery machine,

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hoping my bathroom pipes thaw soon. I have cold water in the kitchen, and a pot on the stove that I'm boiling to do dishes. If push came to shove, I could go to the Arena across the highway for a shower (they have hockey teams who have lockers & showers) or to Silver Willow to use the washroom, and sit & play games or quilt with no distractions. I don't expect anyone would be coming to hockey in this weather. it's CccccOLD! It's supposed to warm up on Monday.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, after getting about 5” o f snow, was the wind that created the blizzard i woke up at 4 and got at it. Ended up shovelling as it got mild and snow is sooo heavy so got the shovel, who were doing their yard at 3:30, always seem to beat me.

Susan, glad you have alternatives should you lose power. A blessing is that you have running water,

Laying in bed last night and could heartening howling, and I thought, well, have to call Greg to get the generator going should power go off then it dawned on me, nope arogers phones are down if power goes out so broke down and called Roger’s for cel service, small usage package enough to get me out of a pickle should power go out. They sayn3+4 day delivery so I’m thanking the lord i didn’t need it last night but will be prepared for next time.

Going for hot bath in hopes it helps with aftermath of. Shovelling.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hope you are all cuddled in and safe, quite a storm going on

At the rate it is coming down i think before i settle in U should go out and snowblow because if it keeps coming down like it has since morning, will be hard to do tomorrow

Have another class from 1-3, wish she had cancelled but she is just a street over. Big sigh

Betty, you shouldn't be shoveling anything. Please be careful.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I AM blessed, Betty. In a world where some don't have water unless they haul it from somewhere, or water that's not fit to drink, I know that I'm blessed with water that will freeze & thaw again.
Last night at 10:30pm our whole county lost power for 2 hours. I shut off the lights when I went to bed, for when it was restored, but there were still things that turned on. I got up & turned them off, too. It's supposed to warm up by Monday, so I know I'll have full water by then.
Glad that you're getting cell service, Betty. There is an "emergency call" button should cell service go down, and that's good. Last night when my power went out I sat & played crib on my cell lol I'm quite addicted to it! I have a lot of battery operated flash lights and a larger palm sized light that I used last night.

Sounds like ALL of us are getting nasty weather! It is COLD here. We are working our way thru all the stuff. Sort, donate, throw out, try to sell. TAKES forever.

I am making arrangements for a Storage Pod.

Victoria Harbour, ON

The only blustery out there, just got in from shovelling, not difficult when you keep up with it, kind of refreshing!

Sharon posted, she lost a friend and neighbour this week, difficult for sure.

Susan, I am overwhelmed when i see those poor people, raising families in just a hut, no food, clothing etc. mind boggling how one would ever have something to look forward to the next day while we have so much, then to see the war raged countries, losing all as well as all their families. Grateful we should be and are.

Hope that work is inside Pat, you don’t want to come down with a cold with so much needing done. Are all the final closings going as planned?

Dianne, have you been lucky enough not to lose power?

Linda messaged me, she is at hospital with David, they are doing tests vs just giving David a laxative, ha had not gone for almost a month.

Time for bed, Ziggy is beside me wanting me to get comfy so he can lay next to me

Wish I had ice-cream. Sigh

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Yes, I am here. Been a rough week my friend of 21 years who lived about three houses down across the street died from pneumonia. She was 83 and a very staunch Mormon and Christian. Her husband died about four years ago from a heart attack. They were married over 57 years have six children many many grandchildren and great grandchildren. I will miss her friendship and her wonderful hugs, but I spoke with her about four or five months ago and she said she was ready to go. She missed her husband and she done all she could do.

I dug up my tomatoes yesterday in frantic in about 30 minutes because the gardeners were going to be at my house in about half an hour and I wanted them on the ground so they could hold them off. I have a whole bunch of very small green and yellow/red tomatoes I think I'll make some pasta sauce and throw them in

My grandson who just got back from his mission in Tucson is now going to college in Rexburg, Idaho. So he went from one end of the spectrum to another. High in Rexburg today was six.. being born and raised in Las Vegas, and then doing his mission for church in Arizona, he has never experienced weather like this. But he was home for Christmas and he got loaded up with lots of warm jackets, boots everything to wear in the cold.

I have an owl, western barn, owl, that has been making itself at home around my house. My cat peanut who likes to water around outside will not leave the house. I think she must've come eye with them because one day she didn't go out at all, the next day she went out once and today she went out once and she's usually out four or five times a day.

Susan, I am sorry that your water is frozen. We used to have that at home when I was a kid because I was raising the mountains of Nevada and I got very cold here in Las Vegas. If it's going to get cold enough to freeze pipes they tell us to leave the water running slowly somewhere, but like Betty said we have so much to be thankful for. What they're doing in the Middle East to each side of the countries is so sad. if the individuals live, they will have nothing to live in. Wars are started by older men and fraught by younger men. Between Russia, Ukraine, and Gaza there will be no young men left.

Pat, you and Marie are moving right along. You will not know how to act when your home sale is closed and the house you are buying is closed and the clocks slow down.

If he has not passed a bowel movement in one month, he is in deep trouble. I am surprised he is still alive.

I will sign off now. Miss Emma thinks it's time to go to bed. I swear she has a clock in her brain.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, blizzard out there, as a habit i get out of bed, fill tub then make my bed, done, now why didn’t i wait until after i use the snow blower..high of 26°F

Hugs Sharon

Be back in a bit

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

It's -7 F here this morning, high for the day is supposed to be -1. Door from the garage to the backyard has snow drifted up against it. I can only force it open 2-3 inches. I need to get that cleared so the dogs can use that yard, instead of in front of the house.

So sorry for the loss of your friend, Sharon.

I hope this cold isn't headed your way, too, Betty and Dianne.

Sharon, I am sorry for your loss of a good friend and neighbor, I relate to her desire to join her husband.

It was 11F when I got up and not expected to be above freezing all week.

So far things are moving along. The prior owner had over 6K worth of repairs that we required based on the inspection. I am REALLY glad Marie said they had to clean & inspect & repair if necessary the HVAC system. 3K was just THAT. They had to replace the DW since it did NOT sound "healthy".

Verona, ON

It's a mess here weather wise. We've had it all - rain, snow, sleet and howling winds. The wind coming in off of the lake is like a frigid Arctic blast. Dave had to plow twice yesterday. The snow was heavy and hard for him to push. I imagine he will be in again today once the snow lets up.

Betty I don't know how it happened but I didn't lose my power just my IP. I was ready as I left everything out that I had out earlier in the week. I need to shovel my front stairs.

Oh Sharon I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Don't believe it - the sun is shining. Woo hoo

Victoria Harbour, ON

Guess we are all having bad weather, as long as I go out every 2-3 hrs I can keep on top of it, i shovel back steps, areas I need to do and before i came in there is enough snow on the steps to do again, that is how fast it’s coming down.

Sure was worth paying a house inspector Pat, better the $$ be in your pocket than theirs. What is a DW?

Sharon, how are you making out with your pasta sauce. I too a bag from freezer, thought I would have spaghetti tonight but Shannon’s closed early and brought me eats so doubtful I will need to cook tonight.

That is odd Dianne.. how many steps do you have to clear?
Thinking we might have a few more days of this,

Young Mason that sews with me messaged me, wanting to know if I need help with snow, nice of him

Keep safe everyone

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Sharon, so sorry to hear about your friend passing. Blessing that she was ready to go though, and told you so.
Betty - that pillow is adorable.

Just now I put window film on my den windows. Tried to put foam strips on, but they wouldn't stick in the cold. There was quite a draft from those 2 windows. I think one was improperly installed. Ah well, I'll be warmer now.
Wanna know what's really nice about this cold weather that froze pipes? "Her" pipes froze too, and I gather that she's gone to stay with Bob in another town, so I don't have that stress of "her" or Bob looking in my windows. Her car's gone, and that's the only place she could be, overnight.
Almost finished the 1st of 5 lap quilts. The rest will go quicker.
Our church cancelled today, because of the weather.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just did last snow clean up for the night, wind is so strong it blows snow right back, i will deal with whatever in the morning.

Susan, it will be nice for you to relax and not worry about their antics.your main water line though is giving you water?

Hoping all getting this snow are safe.

DW= dishwasher

Yep, sounds like we are all having nasty weather! I find that funny considering how vast an area we all live in!

Sharon, sending our condolences and prayers.
Pat, glad you are getting everything repaired. You don't need that headache in a new home.
Stay warm and safe everyone.

As general contractors in Winterville, NC, WJ Smith Constructions offers a comprehensive array of construction services tailored to meet the diverse needs of the community. Specializing in custom home building, renovations, and commercial projects, WJ Smith combines expertise with innovative solutions. Meticulous planning and a commitment to quality craftsmanship define their approach, ensuring client satisfaction from project conception to completion. With attention to detail, WJ Smith Constructions navigates the complexities of construction, creating spaces that seamlessly integrate functionality and aesthetic appeal. Choosing WJ Smith as general contractors means opting for a reliable partner dedicated to delivering outstanding construction solutions in Winterville and beyond.
For more information visit https://www.wjsmithconstruction.com/general-contractors-winterville-nc/

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, was early for me, was outside at 2am,

Cleaned car off, let it run while i shovelled and cleared a more out of the way are to put it, it was so quiet and beautiful i even did front deck and pathway to it, Lordy was 3:30 when i came in, climbed back in bed and just woke up. Checked the drive and hurrah, Jules ad been and with car moved got to really tidy up the yard.

Just checked school bus routes are cancelled not because it is storming but I’d say because township roads have not been cleared other than main roads.

Yes this storm front covered a massive area, didn’t look

i am thinking that i might send out messages to the 2 Monday night sew class and ask if they want to come this afternoon, that way I could have an early night.

Now Pat, why did I not think dishwasher lol

Betty, you have not been pouring over house ads for 3 months!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Afternoon, sun showed up for about 10 minutes, odd flake but all and all it’s a cold brisk day.

I fell back to sleep and slept til 9, likely would have been longer had Marie not knocked on the door.

Watching a series, has my attention so maybe I will just lay on the couch, covered up, taking my cue from Ziggy who knows how to get comfy, he worked a few minutes to get under the chair throw, how comfy is that

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

awww Ziggy looks SO comfy! I'd join him, if I were you, too! What's the series - on Netflix?
Today my car started with a groan, but started. I shut if off at the Post Office and it wouldn't start. Friend & neighbour boosted me & I got home, but it refused to start again. I don't have a trickle charger. Tuesday Social Group is cancelled because their building is COLD and they had a water leak in the change rooms. Yeah, that's where I would have been able to have a shower, but guess not lol Oh well, birdy baths is what I need to do, I guess LOL I'm not going anywhere! Gives me time to work on the quilts :)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yes Susan, a trickle charger is what you need. Odd, don’t most cars have a plug in? Poor car, you know when it’s cold when they don’t want to work. How cold is it in your neck of the woods? Glad you don’t have to go anywhere, sit and enjoy your time and don’t overwork on the quilting.

Lily left at 6, it took me long enough to lock door, turn off lights, come to my bedroom and cozy in

Not sure June or Pat are coming tomorrow.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

We had freezing weather and then it's in the process of warming back up. We're gonna be in the 50s and low 60s by the end of the week but then rain on Sunday.

Thank you for the thoughts about my friend Jeanette. Her service will be Saturday, February 3 at the stake center and that will be a large crowd because she's been very active in this area and has lived here over 50 years. She was raised in one of our smaller counties closer to Utah and Idaho.

My housekeeper is here today after not being here for a month and that is a welcome thought for me. I had a bunch of things I took out from cupboards that she's going to give to her mother-in-law because she takes these to church for their afternoon activities, and a lot of my stuff was just for that, I took about five very lovely pie plates to my daughter yesterday. I do not bake and she and the oldest granddaughter or great Baker so they can choose which ones I want.

I have a hair appointment on Tuesday, a luncheon appointment on Wednesday with a friend that we always had lunch together once a month with Jeanette at Jeanette home. Where we got food from a golf country club because my friend has a membership there and never uses all of it so to her it's like free food because she's paid for it whether we eat it or not and then Thursday I have a manicure pedicure. And I haven't had a pedicure for about two months maybe even three. I have very weird toenails on my feet. The ones on my little toes are like tiny stubs.

I have been watching the weather channel showing all the weather in the Northeast, which is probably similar to your weather in Canada and it does not look like fun. Pat, the closing on your house is just right around the corner. We will all be so pleased for you, onward and upward as they say. And Smart move on the home inspection. My friend bought a property and then they didn't go inside the attic underneath the roof and have to be there about a year. We had a really bad windstorm and the water started coming through the ceiling in the family room when they went up in the attic there were all these big aluminum turkey pans under each hole in the roof And I didn't like it to the ceiling of the house below until they got full so some sellers are really sneaky so sounds like you had a good team working for you

Susan, you need to go outside and get a big big pot full of snow put it on the stove and heat it up to make yourself some nice water to take a sponge bath with. Sorry about your car not starting. You are so lucky to have friends that could come start you.

Betty, I cannot believe you were out at 2 AM shoveling snow. If you fell and hurt yourself you would freeze. But that is our crazy, Betty. when you get your cell phone, make sure you have good coverage in your area because you might need a stronger phone than what they're gonna give you, actually, it's a stronger Internet, not the phone.

Emma and I have already had our afternoon walk and will soon have her dinner and my dinner. I'm making myself some more tomato soup and another toasted cheese sandwich. one of my favorite dinners.

Ziggy is one smart kiitty!! Warm and cozy, not crazy like us humans.

Sharon, I would be surprised if there was not legal recourse on the leaky roof. The sellers KNEW and did not disclose. YOU KNOW they knew because they had the pans down to catch the water. Also, if the buyer hired an inspector and the inspector didn't even LOOK in the attic, they did NOT do their job and there probably is some liability there too. Nowadays, the " degree of inspection" costs differently based on what you choose. I hope they asked for attic inspection! Even if they didn't, surely the inspector could see from the roof how bad of shape it was in. That is just criminal!

We worked out in the conexes today, it was sooooo cold. We took a whole pickup load out & I left it time to get donated at a local thrift store that benefits Domestic Violence shelter. I have a load ready for the dump on the other pickup! But first, pickup the Queen mattress. Still more to do but we are making headway.

My Pod comes tomorrow and I can start unloading those Hickory sheds. We'll see if I have to "lighten" the load more, or if the contents from both sheds will fit in the one Pod.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Sharon - I had cold water in my kitchen, just not hot and NO water in my bathroom. This morning, however, at 6:30 I got up & have FULL water in my home! It's now -7c (19F) and warming up MORE. I love it! I had a birdy bath on Sunday having boiled water for it. When the power went out the other night, I couldn't use the gas stove & no heat. I'm glad it only lasted for 2 hours :)

In Canada, you don't even have to be licenced to be a "home inspector" so you could get a really raw deal. People need to check credentials of their Home Inspectors. Not sure what it's like in the US.

Betty - do you have unlimited data on your phone? What's the range?

I should get a trickle charger. The one I had went with the Motorhome.
I dread to think of my water & power bill when they come (water, in 2 months; power, next month).
Found out yesterday that Bob had been arrested for breach of the Peace Bond, but released. Not sure what days, but there were 2 days that "she" wasn't home, so she may have been staying at his apartment. She's home now. The officer had told me that they would likely be holding him for 2 days, until he finally wised up that he was breaking the law by breaching it. Now, to find out what the court date is.

Good morning everyone.
I guess DG isn't working too well. I have been checking in, and it showed no new post. This morning I went searching for this group and discovered there have been several post.
Praying every is doing well.
My cold is finally gone.
I went to the foot doctor to get another ingrown toenail fixed.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi Linda Kay - glad that you're back on DG & that your cold is gonzo!! Yup, we're still here & chatting :) Could you have accidentally "unwatched" us?

I just had my session with my therapist (via Zoom) and he suggested that I could start a Form 7, Alberta Mental Heath Act form about Bob's having a mental health issue I'm not ready to do this yet, but when I am, he will help me through it. If Bob (after being warned & arrested) comes onto my property again, I will definitely go that route. It wouldn't be a malicious act, and if it's accepted, then the judge would follow up with a Form 8 and have Bob detained for an assessment.
Tomorrow we have our Seniors meeting (monthly) and I hope that they will accept Zoom meetings. This way even our snow birds can attend. I don't believe that it will go through, but I won't know until I ask.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Here I is, have a young one coming to sew any minute, as soon as she leaves I’ll get caught up. In the meantime

-16 brrrr, wind is so strong makes it feel like -30

Great to hear Lindakay that you are feeling better, here is hoping you stay in, stay warm as to not have a setback.

From weather reports most of this continent is experiencing mega weather changes, think I am ok to one day be like Florida’s

Susan, I wish it would be the end of Bob's nonsense but that is unlikely.

Linda, I am happy to hear you are feeling better.

Betty, I don't know how you manage to keep up with the snow and classes. You definitely hardier than me!

Yeah, freezing rain started before I got home from town. Stopped at our brother Mark's to get our Dad's Last Will & testament. Deliver Last W&T to title company, donations to Goodwill, some of our late brother Ross's stuff to his widow Sharon (it's been being stored for several years), then silverware to SVdP for them to create boxes of necessary household stuff, groceries THEN back to Burbank.

Marie & I went out to dinner last night to celebrate the new house & shop for area rug & art. Didn't buy anything but more clear on what we like. I guess that is something.

Our contractor Tim JUST got up and says he feels better and can eat now. I don't know if he ever did throw up or just nauseous & camped out in bathroom for hours..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Of course i write a long post and puff it’s gone
I didn’t open a picture or anything not sure why??

Be back

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning 21F with a Feel like 10F
Weather watch is on.

Been for therapy, quick stop at Walmart and now having my 2nd cup of coffee.

Pat at least you got to sit and enjoy a meal you didn’t cook.the month is nearing the end, you’ve accomplished what i thought no person could. I guess your pods are helping, is your home pretty well empty. Drats, hope freezing rain has moved on for you. I will drive in a blizzard but not freezing rain.

Back in a sec

Victoria Harbour, ON

Don’t know what went thru or what posted had company and so had to press “send” and now I have a young one coming, shortly, just enough time to have asanwhch,sorry if I missed commenting re your post, i will catch-up eventually.

Sharon, you will certainly miss Jeanette

Susa, hugs

We got up 58 today, but temp is dropping quickly tonight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.