Plant Propagation: The Basics Summer 2016

Oxdrift, Canada

Have started adding beets and spinach from the vegetable garden to our breakfast smoothies this week. Our usual base is blueberries but those things mix better with strawberries. I throw a cup of frozen strawberries, a cup of Almond Fresh, a bunch of beets and spinach (complete beet leaves and root) three heaping tablespoons of ground flax seed, a scoop of whey powder and a squirt of agave syrup AND A BANANA in the Ninja and breakfast is served. Thinned the romaine lettuce for salad tonight. I have a beautiful reddish black romaine and a regular green. Tomorrow we will have our first feed of Swiss chard for lunch. Things are coming along good now but tomatoes are a long way off yet.
Keith
EDITED TO ADD A BANANA

This message was edited Jul 7, 2016 5:01 AM

Oxdrift, Canada

Have started adding beets and spinach from the vegetable garden to our breakfast smoothies this week. Our usual base is blueberries but those things mix better with strawberries. I throw a cup of frozen strawberries, a cup of Almond Fresh, a bunch of beets and spinach (complete beet leaves and root) three heaping tablespoons of ground flax seed, a scoop of whey powder and a squirt of agave syrup AND A BANANA in the Ninja and breakfast is served. Thinned the romaine lettuce for salad tonight. I have a beautiful reddish black romaine and a regular green. Tomorrow we will have our first feed of Swiss chard for lunch. Things are coming along good now but tomatoes are a long way off yet.
Keith
EDITED TO ADD A BANANA

This message was edited Jul 7, 2016 5:03 AM

Oxdrift, Canada

Sorry about double. This thing is paying tricks on me again

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith Sounds excellent ,,good diet ,, and garden fun ,,

Oxdrift, Canada

OMG. Just realized I forgot the BANANA in that smoothie. Hope nobody has had breakfast yet hahaha
Keith

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I have noticed the tricks the site plays are during certain hours. Breakfast here was a strawberry shortcake affair with gelled strawberries. Then off to meet the bone dr...

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh wow, I wish I could see those bees up close. VERY INTERESTING!
Beautiful growing everyone.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Remember the pointy leaf plant Jen? It loves the area this year, and I need to seperate the plants! 4 in one will get me in trouble..

Thumbnail by kittriana
Oxdrift, Canada

In between coats of painting front door and semi cloudy out so ran around and took a few shots. Some are new to you some are updates as things mature:
Recycled roof vent with Tumble red Impatiens
Love lies Bleeding
40 foot lattice wall shot from inside Tamarac path garden
My first Golden Eclipse Lilac in Japanese garden. This one almost died after a really cold winter a few years ago
Update of planting in cast iron cauldron

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Oxdrift, Canada

6-10
Sum &Substance hosta in Japanese garden. This one is huge, about 6' wide x4' high
A lone coleus amongst Hostas in Japanese garden
Update of planting in my great grandfathers ox cart
View of pond from different direction
Area around waterfall becoming a sea of yellow as Golden Acre Sedum come into full bloom

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith, BIG Sigh

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

It looks great Keith, I'd be proud as punch if I were you. I love the recycled turbine roof vent.

It looks like this is definitely not an Echinacea, it sure looks like a Black-eyed Susan...oh well, out it comes...

Thumbnail by Mipii
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yep a BES mine look exactly same right now Robin ,, Love that little Strawberry popcorn clover in there ,, nice and red ...
I seem to have several seedlings that are not developing ,, If their not perennial ,, too late ,,,

The kale seeds I paper started last night , two had green sprouts , so outside for tonight's rain they went
I am sitting thinking after all the flower growing , I have forgotten how to grow plants in rows ,, How bad is that ,,lol ?

This message was edited Jul 7, 2016 6:06 PM

Thanks Ju. Not to worry about rows, the only thing I can plant in rows are veggies. I'm crossing my fingers for some rain tonight.

very nice gardens, Keith. I love BES, and anything else that blooms right now LOL
I have that pointy leaf plant, too Kitt. It is traveling everywhere it can right now, I un -hung it and let it sit so it could do it's thing.
new color four o clock, bougie, lobelia,helenium,devil's claw

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Oxdrift, Canada

Nice Debra! Especially that four o'clock. That is one annual I have never tried
Keith

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi joeswife beautiful flowers.I love the bougainvillea.Do yuo grow it outdoors or as a house plant?I had one as a houseplant for a couple of years and it died.Here is a picture that I took in the Caribbean on my vacation.I have seen various colors of them.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Oxdrift, Canada

Just updates on goats beard and Thunbergia for today

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

really nice Flowers
Mostly only the Coneflower and Zinnia here
Great plants and colors all

Thanks for sharing all of the photos, that was fun going through. BES isn't well behaved in my garden, it's got a world domination complex. Do have any Debra? That Four O'Clock is stunning, did you develop it? The Helenium is pretty special too.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Today Some Blooms , As Debra had said Big Huge Blooms Coneflower size comparison in one of the Lillium pics is close to accurate 2nd pic ,,
First is a pink from seed (echinacea ) oh well almost double Not the Poodle From you Robin , It is getting a bloom going though
2 and 3 the Giant lillium How about that . a Trio standing ,lol
My Zinnia

This message was edited Jul 8, 2016 2:37 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

cytf Really nice bougainvillea , Color is WOW !!!

Keith Excellent !!! and that Thunbergia is really Nice !!!

Swamp Milkweed , name is right on this year

Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Pretty florific Ju! Is swamp milkweed the same thing as I might know as Joepye weed?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith They are two different plants
Swamp Milkweed is a Milkweed
Joe Pye weed is a larger more full plant

Goodness it is hot outside here today , 90's ,

Yay, we finally got some rain...!!! Beautiful blooms and a giant lily trifecta...wow! I agree with Ju about the Bouganvillea, Thunbergia and the Goats beard, they look so tropical.

Thanks guys. Keith the four o clock is a perennial here. Your Goatsbeard is awesome!
Ju, I love zinnias, just hope I see a few more this year, if not I'll just drool over yours.

Cytf, the bougies are tropicals here, outside in summer, inside in winter.. My sis in law has a huge collection of them in different colors and leaves. I just have One which is all I can handle .
I started all these from a seed.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Pretty Debra and A real nice effort of seed growing , What is #4 ? I like the leaves , red bloom is pretty that is a Neat Foliage
I did not get a lot of good looking Zinnia but there is two months or so to go ,
Those are the seeds I have kept and grown for years now
I am surprised at some things still blooming
I made some Fleabane and Wormwood green tea for flea oil for the kitties ,
Debra I understand your Devil's Claw above is a powerful pain reliever but can be really toxic ,, Still a really neat Herb flower

Fort Worth, TX

ah from seed that is a very good showing Debra. And I understand why only one bougie, they are tropical here too, and need brought in or in some locations they just freeze to the ground. Either way with a thorn count like that I gave mine away some years ago.

Planted some hollyhock seed from my purchased plants today, so hopefully I will have some next year. Pics are best taken in daylight, but I got a few after todays weeding. I tossed my struggling zucchini, the watermelon, yellow squash and cantaloupe had already died. (will replant watermelon and cantaloupe I think)
First and second photo, the weeded upper garden. Blackberry (thornless), grapes, salvia, asclepius tuberosa, and the odd hollyhock seed finds its way on the western edge. there was a little Texas Sage hiding behind the weed grasses and dried wild carrot. Not sure whether to throw my shirt away, considering it. the carrot had gone to seed. That nice mulch was deep grass and weeds, the guys did work hard and so did I, then I turned the soaker hose on.
Texas star hibiscus in the pond starting its show
Flame vine that started from a slip in the greenhouse is a giant, but I think some flowering plant food will be needed to get any blooms.
And finally, the young hens. The buff orpingtons are very fluffy hens, could do some serious egg sitting. (those are the 3 I cheated and bought having guessed, accurately, that I might get mostly roosters)

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Looks like your up and about and have the angle of it all Gypsi , he , he ,
Nice path , Hens and pretty Texas star Hibiscus

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Dealing with misplacing or losing seeds , Little pic for markers or id in the packages ,,
At least this way I recognize what they are ,lol

Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Debra I am with Ju wondering what that #4 pic is . Very nice Rudbeckia in #3. What is it called. I grow a whack of Tiger eye gold and they will be blooming real soon. They are such a long bloomer and don't ask me what happens to the old blooms. They never need deadheading. Got to be my favorite annual

I believe Debra's #4 pic is Aesculus pavia (red buckeye). Impressive starting all by seed!

Nice weeding job Gypsi, that looks like it was a fair bit of work but next time it'll be easier with the mulch. Your buff orpingtons are fluffy and look really healthy too, you'll have eggs for everybody in the family.

Ju's latest invention hard at work marking packages so he doesn't need to put on his reading glasses...not a bad idea!

I had to edit to put in #4 pic instead of the wrong #5 pic...thanks Keith :)

This message was edited Jul 9, 2016 10:39 AM

Oxdrift, Canada

This message was edited Jul 8, 2016 11:36 PM

Hypericum perforatum (St. Johns Wort). I found it goes great with Feverfew for a wildflower garden look. Both grown from seed.

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin looking good there . The look is Delightful

Oxdrift, Canada

That is downright gorgeous Robin. Especially love the St. John's Wort.
Keith

Thanks guys!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Some fun .
First ) If this was cast from kitchen plastic you could use it for the garden mulcher , make ice cream , churn butter , or make cheese with it (any industrialists listening ???
Second Some mulch it made today , two garden buckets full .
Third ,, The Pink poodle from robin oops no double , lol
4 Hyperion Daylily a very old Diploid
5 a Happy Purple Echinacea

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

okay ,,, he , he something more wild for Tomorrow perhaps? 1 )
2 Maybe something in orange ? lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.