Winter chat

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Hi Carole, I am glad you posted as it is still winter and we are not gardening outside here that is for sure. Looking forward to this next week, tho, It is going to feel lots warmer.
how are you doing? Are you gardening yet? I am about to un-garden my west flower bed against the house tomorrow.. just what I need, more plants that are orphans. Their home will be under the new patio, so for now they will hang out in bags and tubs until I see what I have to work with. :P

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

It is 78 today, and forecast for much of the same all next week. Not bad for February. I got the rest of the roses trimmed back, the bougainvillea and mexican petunias are trimmed. I just need to have my son clean out the canna lily dead leaves when he gets here on the 23rd. He will be watching our house and dogs when I have my hip surgery.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

We are looking at 0 or below for tonight and sleet and snow starting tomorrow night into Tuesday. Guess I will wait and see what Monday morning brings before I worry about work. Work tomorrow, but will be of by 1:30.

Linda, hope the surgery goes well. My thoughts and prayers are coming your way.

Carole, did you see the Wildcats game?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes I did, kat. Wow! I was a little worried about the Cats after the losses this year, but they seem to be gaining momentum with every game now. I think Coach Cal getting thrown out of the game only served to fire them up more. That ref seemed a little overly sensitive to me. :)

We have big fluffy snow flakes at the moment. I think it's supposed to turn to rain by the evening. We will be 60° by next weekend!

Thanks Kathy. 10 more days.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Happy Valentines Day everybody, a very cold one here. They say that the snow will start flying here around 6:00, just hope that it doesn't start as ice.

Happy Valentines day everyone!

Kathy I will pray for no ice!

How is that little one doing? Everyone healthy?

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Linda, prayers needed, Noah and Myah are both sick and the doctor thought about putting Myah in the hospital. She has another appointment tomorrow so hope and pray that she is better.

No ice at the moment but we are working on 4 inches of snow. My brother said that neither one of us may make it to work tomorrow.

Oh no, sorry to hear that.

Sending prayers!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Me too.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks everybody, we so appreciate it. She has another appointment today.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That photo is just precious, Kathy. I pray the appointment today goes well.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Hey everyone. This is a weird winter. hardly winter here in the heart of the deep south. Looking at 60's for the next week, if the weather people know anything.
I need to drag my seed out and get some started. I hope these sick babies get better without having to go to the hospital.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Carole, the main problem will be getting there as our back roads are a mess. I didn't go into work today so will make my day tomorrow my long one.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Carole, the main problem will be getting there as our back roads are a mess. I didn't go into work today so will make my day tomorrow my long one.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, it has been a strange winter, Crystal. Very warm temperatures predicted here next weekend.

We're just about clear of ice and snow here as far as the roads go. At least in my area. I hope the warmer temps will help melt all your snow and ice, Kathy.

I'm going to plant Arugula seeds in my deck planter and some Red and Green Malabar Spinach near the deck trellis. Maybe more Hibiscus. I'd like to plant a Magnolia in the front yard if I can find one at my Walmart and then get it in the car. I've brought home many plants with part of them sticking out the car window, but I don't want to ruin the Magnolia leaves.

Hope the day is a good one for everybody.

Morning everyone.

I am getting ready to head to San Antonio for a few days, to see the kids and my cardiologist. One more week till surgery. Next Wed. morning I have to be there at 6:30am, for 8:00am surgery.

Weather has been so nice here. 45 at night, and mid to high 80's during the day!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Wow time is getting close so glad to hear it for you. Have a fun trip seeing everyone.

Morgantown, WV

Hello everyone, I am a new gardener of a few years. I have been growing flowers from seed for a few years. I began gardening due to heart condition. I really enjoy the spring cleaning up yard and planting. I started my peppers this week. Anyone else here enjoy watching the flowers on qvc this time of year. I am so looking forward to spring!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi dottie. Nice to have you here. I haven't watched QVC in awhile. Guess I'd better go check out their flowers. :)

What is your weather like now? We are having a big warm-up this week and I, for one, am very happy about that. Of course, by the time July rolls around, I'll be complaining about the heat.

What are your favorite flowers to grow from seed?

bought from qvc one time, price is high but couldn't resist.
glad to meet you also.

Nice to meet you Dottie. Glad you found us, and I hope you stick around to post pictures of your flowers.

Morgantown, WV

My favorite flowers from seed are petunias, impatien, coleus, cottage farms and robertas garantee there flowers. I've had many replaced which makes the cost more reasonable.

Hi Dottie and everyone. I have been busy here, but wanted to pop in and share hugs ((((hugs))))
Hope the babies are okay, Kat, and yes, Crystal and Carole, strange winter here, it is going to be almost 80 today and everything thinks it is spring here already.
we are going thru a huge re-model on the west side of the house and basement so have been busy and working a lot as well, Diane , our "Director of First Impressions" started her Chemo back up, so I am helping a few extra hours while she is gone. Makes me realize how small my problems are when I am around her..

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Hi Dottie
Debra, the little ones are finally starting to get better, thanks.

Linda Kay, good luck on the surgery, my thoughts and prayers will be with you.

I saw the cardiologist today and got the all clear for surgery next Wednesday morning.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I know you'll be glad to have it over and done. Won't be long now.

love your avatar, Carole. I am glad your heart is good, LK. We were warmer than elpaso, texas yesterday and broke all kinds of records. *sigh*

Good news LK!!
Windy here but so nice and warm I have been cleaning gardens and picking up all the stuff blown all over! I didn't realize the ground was sooo dry until I got out there working. I have taken 4 tractor buckets to the dump pile full of garden trash....looks better, hope it isn't too early. Usually I am too late. I still have daffs to plant...rofl.

Glad babies are doing good.

Yeap sometimes we forget how great we have it until we look around... I am so very very lucky.

Morgantown, WV

Tomorrow suppose to be 65 and sunny plan on trimming my fruit trees and moving a grape vine. Preparing a box for onions. Too early to do some things. I plan n enjoying tomorrow. I see some here is dealing with health issues. Been there done that!

Got the daffs planted. Oh Dottie pruning fruit trees is something I need to do, hadn't even thought about it, thank you for reminding me.... just wish I felt like I knew what I was doing.

Morgantown, WV

There are some good teachings on utube that has helped me a lot. Understanding how the limbs should look helped me a lot.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Debra. That avatar looks just like me. :-)

dottie, sounds like you are doing very good with pruning. I had all my Azaleas pruned back last Fall. I couldn't even see out the front windows. I notice they are starting to put out some new growth. I don't think they'll bloom much this year but at least I can see out the front windows now.

My daffodil foliage has been up for quite awhile. Still no buds or blooms. But it's a bit early here. However, it has been warm. Can't wait for the daffs to bloom!

Morgantown, WV

Today me and my husband spent a few hours pruning we pruned 4 apple trees and one cherry tree. It is funny you feel so bad cutting especially a bigger limb. But after you start it gets easier and easier as you see how much better the limbs look. This is the best pruning the trees have gotten. I hope to see lots of fruit this year. Last year we got a few fruit and we had squirrels get everyone of them!
My daffidills are coming up as well. Few more weeks things should really start changing. March around here is a nice month to work outside takes me the whole month to clean up all my beds.

it has been like late spring here so long now that my daffs have buds on them, the place is a mess with all the yard tore up out back, can't go out rightnow with a 3 ft drop off the back door. Basement gardens are the only thing keeping me happy.. and that is all a mess tooo, they install the ten ibeams tommorrow so I am sure I will have a HUGE dusty mess when I come home from work, they have to drill out the cracks and then fill them before they put in the ibeams.

Goodness. That sounds like a lot of work.

Linda, are you still on for your surgery? Is it tomorrow?

Yes. Wednesday at 8 in the morning.

lol I use youtube alot but didn't think about pruning. Thank you for the suggestion.
Debra sounds like you will no longer have a stream going thru the basement garden when they get done and a whole lot of new planting to do.
I should of cleaned on gardens yesterday instead of cleaning on the house ;( Much cooler today but if no wind I will try to get back at it. Later in the week we will be back down in the 20's.
A friend and I were talking the other day at lunch about how we thought we would have so much time since we weren't working.... so I decided to start writing down what I do all day. Well I can tell you it made me do alot more...lol Keeping me limited on the internet between DG, all things plants, pinterest, and youtube I can waste alot of time. lol Not that I don't enjoy wasting time ....

Linda Kay been a long time waiting, for this surgery. So happy for you that the pain will be gone.

Off to youtube...lol but to look at something constructive pruning trees.

Hubby uses you tube for car repairs and maintenance. With ll the newer cars and all the computers, he uses you tube a lot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.