Winter chat

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Petunias are pretty, so are coleus.
That is a deep container so it will need a lot of soil. MAybe you can use old empty pots or something for a filler.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

We had a wash tub like that, it was used for tomatoes, lettuce and johnny jump ups, but that was long ago, purple.. pansies, petunias, purple sweet potato and maybe some purple ageratum?

Linda didn't get to call you work was crazy Saturday and Sunday I was not in a very good mood.. I really need a plant partner here around me too, Dottie. Kat , I am going thru my sed tubs now, so will find those coleus seeds, did I ever send you the mgs you wanted? I am so behind and confused as to what to send where since all this foundation stuff started on my house.

Morgantown, WV

I don't know if a rose would be ok but I have a Barbara Streisand purple rose that does well here.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Here are some examples hope they help, some are of wash tubs. Sorry some of the pics are not the greatest but will give you some ideas

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

or 'got a million of them'....lol

Thumbnail by happgarden
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks everybody.

Linda Kay, I have plenty of filler dirt to put in with the potting soil so that is not a problem.

Debra, no you haven't but you don't have to be in a hurry as it will be awhile before I can do any planting here.

Joyce, what is the plant by its self?

Kathy

Linda kay how are you doing? Is therapy working out ok?

Been out in the garden cleaning up, wow everything is growing leaps and bounds. the wind is so strong unless i am sitting on the ground it is not very enjoyable, but beats cold and snow. Got one more bed ready for spring. Saw dandelion growing..lol

No problem Debra. Call when you get a few minutes.

Therapy started today. I have not been able to raise my right leg for several years, due to the bad hip. My therapist told me to grit my teeth. She will find them. Next time she shows up, I will take 2 pain pills.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, Linda, you will get through it. Like you say, add a pain pill. Therapy is not easy. My DH had a lot of it and I saw what he went through. I've had a little but mostly for balance.

Morning everyone, every forum keeps telling me it is updated but it is not. Anyone else having this issue?

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Where are the posts going to? The last one showing on mine is Feb. 29th

Glad to see DG is fixed again. I wish they would leave things alone!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

They are starting to lose a lot of members from all this

I haven't even started on my beds yet. still trying to figure out what to do with the "non garden" on the west side now, and all the patio stuff. ARGH!

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Hello everybody! I was lost for a while, but I finally made my way back. The posts on some of the other threads were going back to the beginning of the thread. Crazy! Looks like they got it straightened out, now. Hope everyone is doing well. I need to go back and catch up. I am anxiously waiting for Spring, as I am sure most of us are. Dutch Iris are blooming, Daffs,Hyacinths and Tulips are up and some are budding...can't wait!

Morgantown, WV

So tired tonight me and my husband cleaned android prepared 18 earthboxes today. Big job done rest will become easier and fun. Look forward this week to get many of my flower beds cleaned. I have daffidills and tulips coming up now. I enjoy walking around and seeing my plants come backs eschew year. My impatien seeds have come up nicely. I lost some of my coleus seedlings. But I will have enough for me.

Debra, I sure hope you get some of your garden space back.
Dottie, sounds like you are staying busy. Don't over do it.
Nanny, glad to see you found us again.

Happ, we sure do miss you.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Nanny. I'm happy to see that you found your way back.

You've been busy, Dottie.

My daffs are looking good back there. It won't be long now until they bloom.

Morgantown, WV

My right arm is so sore today. I mixed dirt for 5 hours yesterday but I'm still glad we got it done. Busy day against today. I love this time of year still cool but warm enough to work.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I found a few photos of some of the daffs. I love Spring!

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Carole, those are so pretty.

yes, we do miss you, Happ. Linda I hope you are on the road to recovery. Dottie, you are getting a lot done! i have daffs blooming and periwinkle , too. THE NANKING cherry is in full bloom, too. got a lil bit of rain not much , but anything we get is welcome.
Glad you found us, Nanny.

Getting better with each and every day. Thanks. The only thing I hate is the ted hose I have to wear till I see the Dr. next Tuesday. They are a pain in the butt! Therapy is going very good. I have to take a flexeril at bed time, otherwise my muscles will not relax.

well, I take one of those every night and I haven't even had a surgery ( yet) lol, they really work for me, so think they will work for you. You have to do the exercises and take your meds, then we can run around the river walk again..Bridal wreath is in bloom now.. what an early spring! I already have 15 plants out side I brought up..
LOL

It is an early spring. All the mountain laurel is in bloom. I need to get mine planted and going. They are so pretty.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Beautiful day here in the Ohio valley and so glad that I get off at 1:00 so that I can enjoy it before the rain comes in. Everyone have an awesome day!!!!

I sure hope my mountain laurel comes up, I love that tree. SO very pretty!

I can get more seeds if you need them.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Is Mountain Laurel a fast grower? I'm in zone 7 and I think I'd like to try it.

It is a slow grower.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/nativeshrubs/sophorasecund.htm

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm too old to plant slow-growing things. :)

LOL me too Carole, but at least I'd get to watch it.. ( I just had a black locust and a mimosa pop up so excited when seeds show up)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It's so much fun when things pop. I can see some blooms out back but it is still raining, wet and messy out there. I want to pick some of the daffs as soon as I can.

The pussy willow is bursting into bloom. Daffs and hellebores are blooming and there's lots of daylily foliage up now. I bought some 'Final Touch' daylily bulbs at Walmart the last time I was there, but it has been too wet to plant them. Actually I have a couple of holes where ground wasps used to have nests and I think I'll try planting the bulbs in those and see what happens. They're already dug. lol. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/29337/

I need to replant the two planters on the front stoop. Right now all that's left in them is some variegated vinca vine. I'm trying to decide what kind of small blooming shrub to put in those planters. I don't want evergreens.

Then I need to empty the old soil out of the raised planter on the deck so I can plant some arugula there. I also have some Malabar spinach seeds I'd like to try.

Dear Carol, how about some fire spike ( red) in your two front planters? I have some small ones rooted, you can let them die in winter, they are a red blooming shrub hummers love them. I also have some purple showers mexican ruella that I keep trimmed, and some small rose of sharon seedlings. Please let me know. :D

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Debra, what color is your rose of sharons? Went to see Dad today and he has a slight cold but was in a very good mood. Since he wasn't running a temp, we were able to take the kids in to see him. That was the first time that he had saw the baby and said that she looked just like Megan as a baby.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Good idea, Debra. I love hummers. I used to have Ruellia but I don't think tit came up last year.

Kathy, that sounds like it was a wonderful visit.

aww Kat that is awesome, I am glad your Dad was able to spend time with you and your family.
Carole, If your address hasn't changed I will send you some things. I am working on outgoing packages for folks on Snday. I wish I knew what Colors of seedlings they are Kat, but without the blooms, I have no clue, I just sorta cut and stuck them in where ever I could LOL I have all colors except pure white. Have seeds sorted of white with red center, pink with red, and pink to purple to blue

New room for Spring.

I put it in the general discussion forum. Nor for sure why this was in the group trades?

Come on over..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1418437/

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Debra, if you have any extra seedlings of the rose of Sharon I would gladly pay you postage. Yes, we had a great visit and Dad was in a really good mood.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.