DAILY PICTURES # 111

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Sorry about the computer hassles, Kim. From one day to the next I either love them or hate them. It really depends on whether they're cooperating or not. Then there are the days I want to throw my computer out the window and stomp on it!

Pretty pics, Brenda! Hummingbirds, Butterflies and Zinnias...such a colorful combination.

Ivy, I see it! I see the little girl (but I really had to look hard). Thanks for pointing that out to us.

Kim, if there are any more Monarchs "up north" from you, they must have missed me altogether. I haven't seen any for a while. Guess they're all at Brenda's and Ju's enjoying the Zinnias and Tithonias.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Several Monarch's here today. Saw a few hummingbirds, too. Yes, I have lots of flowers to draw their attention as they pass through. The Monarch's especially enjoy the zinnia. Lots of color in my gardens.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Very nice Brendak654 ,, Love the coming in for a landing at zinnia field !!!

Thumbnail by juhur7
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Very pretty, Brenda! Extremely colorful! The Butterflies probably see your yard a couple of states away.

Ju, that Zinnia is huge! Is that a 'Benary's Giant'? Whatever it is, it's spectacular!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

There are few Benary's out there Nuts , Tithonia are about through now
Perennial sunflower for happy hour is where a few usually are.

I have not seen a monarch in a couple days now , Did see a Red Spotted Purple do a quick fly by
I will put some Goldenrod with these when I get energetic , However as i have been planning that for three or four years and have not done that still ,, cannot say when...

Thumbnail by juhur7
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, I learned a little bit of the new system. I can now navigate Window 10, a little LOL. Well, as I said -- a little -- I can now retrieve my photos, but they're still sideway!!!

I saw 2 fly by Monarch yesterday. I've a small garden, if I didn't see them (Monarch) in my garden. It doesn't mean they haven't gotten here. A wide world out there indeed. You can't enjoy nature when you're not out there exploring. COL.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Ju, another flower to add to my butterfly/hummingbird wish list. Hmmm...now I just need to figure out where to put all this stuff. :o)

Kim, I just looked up some info about sideways pics on windows 10. Are you uploading them to a PC. If they're sideways, supposedly you can click a link in the photo viewer to either "Rotate Clockwise" or "Rotate Counter-clockwise", but I agree that they should auto-rotate on their own.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

NAN. From my PC the pictures appear upright. I've tried that with my phone, tried the reverse pschy. on the device. Still it doesn't click into place. lol

I need to dig up a little deeper. So much to learn, so little time. :((

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Kim, the beautiful pic you just posted is upright. Where was it downloaded from?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

NAN, there is a glitch to my Window 10, anything I uploaded before I Installed the new Window, is up right.....

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Whoooo! Let's try this ....

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Bahumbuck! That is the pix I took today. :((

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I still LOVE my Window 10, it's I that need to chill! LOL Thanks NAN, I'll try to do something about ME. lol

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Kim, go and look at your cats and chrysalis for a while or watch all your beautiful birds to take your mind off computers (the computer will still be there when you get back). Whenever I'm stressed, one of the best ways to calm myself down is to spend some time with nature and all it's critters.

And remember, all that brain work (good or bad) will keep your mind sharp as you age. :o)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks, NAN. :o)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Lily Windows 10 works okay on mine .
And NAN , you also . This has features , of 8 , 8.1 , and 10 as it is ,
But ... I cheated , I have a custom computer , with extra GB memory card I added myself , So there is some difference
If you all think I am bragging , I am not ,, Because , while I can play with this computer , I cannot use a Cell phone or I pod hardly at all ,,
One good thing in a couple of three poopers ...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ju, that's too funny! Thanks all for your encouragement. I didn't see any Monarch yesterday, though I saw a bunch of Gulf Frits however. The garden used to have a lot of "May Pop" but not lately.... also, we've had a large group of perennial Sunflowers. Now they're all disappeared, and were taken over by more shade tolerance perennials!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Lily I have not seen many butterflies for a few days , Cabbage White about all
perennial Sunflowers ? Only starting here, late these are

Thumbnail by juhur7
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hahaha...you guys are great!

Ju, do you still have many BF in your area? It's cooling down here, yay! Warm days and nice cool nights...great sleeping weather. But all I'm seeing is Cabbage Whites.

Kim, pretty Gulf Frit...even sideways! In your zone, how late in the season before all the BF are gone?

Ju, just saw you posted while I was typing. Guess that answers my question about your BF. Your perennial Sunflowers are lovely. Every now and then we get some that look very similar (some just finished blooming), but I think they come from the sunflower seeds the squirrels bury. :o)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ju, it's a windy day here. While I was in backyard I think I saw a Monarch, but I wasn't sure. Saw a lot of Sulphurs and I just learned some of them migrating too as the Monarch do?

NAN, our growing season is longer down South, so I gathered the BF can be seen longer until our first frost.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sure Lily Sulphurs migrate to southern Geogia , and Florida unto just north of the Everglades ,

NAN , and all here , in low flight , at lunch time Look to center right in the tree pic
red spotted purple

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi all, here are the pics. for today. Grin.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, I see it, Ju! Very cool. It's like one of those contests - "Can you find the Red Spotted Purple?"

Kim, is it my eyes or are those pics right-side-up? The Gulf Frit is beautiful!

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Great day for sulphurs. The Cloudless were plentiful on the backyard Pineapple sage and red Pentas. Then a male Monarch started nectaring the frost weed flowers and stayed the afternoon.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ju, I suspected that my phone's storage capacity may cause some difficulty with my transferring photos to DG site. Thank for mentioning that earlier. NAN, The above pictures are right side up. Because they were uploaded from my Cannon SX 30 IS camera.😊

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ivy, wow those pics are so beautiful!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I agree , Beautiful photo's of the best of the little things !!! Both of you Lily and Ivy ,!

Lily electro Gizmo's are great when you know how to use them , The youngsters all plug games . phones , playstation , x boxes ,I pods ,, everything into computer on TV screens
and headsets too ,,, ( I feel old , antiquainted.. and goodness , behind the times ) lol

Oh well , Back to the butterflies ,,

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hah, Ju, it's great when our youngsters are also taught the value of respect, compassion, tolerance of differences, and the love of nature -- to name a few. All the x boxes, I pods, PlayStation, electronic games will not help their development I afraid.

Back to nature, and butterflies gardening. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Stunning shots, Ivy! I especially like the contrast between the Cloudless and Pentas.

I hear you, Ju. I'm a Dinosaur in many ways.

Wonderful pics, Kim. I can hardly believe the number of chrysalis you have! I also see the cat in the "J" position. You need to start giving tours.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

No more Monarch visiting my garden? For there is no more eggs left seen on the host plants. Indoor I still have four more larvae munching on MW.

I'll be focusing on other nectar plants, host plants for other BF species.

Ju, and all, the last pic. as shown, is that an "Indian sage"? A Boneset?
Thanks.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Lily I do not know that plant , Here I have not seen it , Looks nice , kind of woodsy in the picture
Saw a red spotted purple on the driveway yesterday , cat chased it away ,
Have seen a few small ones flying about , no pic's and not many butterflies here now.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Lily, what I call Boneset is probably incorrect but it looks like your picture image and is likely White Boneset / White Mistflower. It grows wild here and I have a couple of plants in my yard. Bees and butterflies love it. Probably should get the plant experts to ID.

These pics were taken on Sept. 11 and show a Red Banded Hairstreak, Blue Winged (Scubi dubi) flower wasp, and a Arogos skipper with an Ailanthus moth.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nice photo's Ivy !!!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Still seeing several butterfly in the gardens - here is a most recent one and it is a little weathered.

Did I see that some of you were winners in the recent DG County Fair Pictures contest? Congrats!

Thumbnail by brendak654
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ivy, thanks for the info. also the pics. of the Hairstreak, wasp and moth. Yes, the experts have confirmed mine, at one time or the other. But it has been a while, and I wasn't quite sure. Just as brendak's pic. Is that a Variegated frit.? Anyhoooo, it's a beautiful one even though it's a little "weathered". brendak654.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Lilly-love - Lantern vine? Beautiful!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

@brendak, the lantern/balloon - like thingy, commonly known as "Love in a puff". The Latin or botanical name is, well, cardio.....something, something. What it really is classified as noxious weeds in zone 8 and warmer zones. In my microclimate, these plants will survive our mild winter, some year... so I plan on saving some "balloons" for the future.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ooops, the vine is an annual. I meant to say the seeds tolerate the cold stratification and sprout up the following spring. Their inconspicuous white flowers apparently are pollinated by those tiny sweet bees for I saw a lot of little bees when the vines were making flowers. Disregard the pink petunia ớt million bell flower. These are the seeds of the plants.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Lily_love - Most interesting the pink vining flower and its marble like seed. Is that a climbing vine suitable for a trellis or a ground vine? If it is a climbing vine, I would be interested in doing a seed swap?

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

hello everyone...most of you are probably familiar with the Zebra Heliconian (aka Zebra Longwings/Heliconius charithonia) and many know that the butterflies feed on both nectar and pollen. They are one of very few butterflies that feeds on pollen. I have been photographing them in my garden for several years but have only seen them nectaring until recently when i found this one knee deep in gathering and feeding on pollen on the Mexican Flame Vine [Pseudogynoxys chenopodioides (say that really fast 5 times :D) syn. Senecio confusus.

The amino acids in pollen enable this butterfly to live up to 6 months as an adult butterfly. The pollen also interacts internally in the Zebra H. to make this butterfly distasteful and toxic to predators. The Mexican Flame Vine is especially rich in pollen and nectar and is by far the preferred dining experience in my garden for all nectar-lovers and pollinators. This plant is available in the US (generally in plant form) and is hardy to USDA Zone 9a. The butterfly is widely seen in Florida, parts of Texas and the southeast. The host plants are various Passifloras.

Thumbnail by vitrsna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.