DAILY PICTURES # 111

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Queen (Danaus gilippus) Butterfly, pre-flight. One of a brood of 14. Eclosed October 14, 2015

Thumbnail by vitrsna
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Very nice !!! Both and all !!!

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

The Xerces Society has expressed a concern that commercially reared monarchs pose a threat to wild monarchs because of disease. My interest is the rearing and protection of wild cats and monarchs but I wonder if this emotional issue will spread to cover all reared monarchs regardless of conditions.
http://www.xerces.org/blog/releasing-monarch-butterflies-is-not-a-good-conservation-strategy/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Seems to the first worry is still having their numbers back to a good solid population .
The puppy mill and hybrid view can wait a while it learns and educates before the concern is raised to such seriousness

This year is a first for the winds causing a further westward migration flight pattern , The Monarch cell biology mutates anyway (ex. Albino or white) , Their migration ,is not fully known ,,

Opinion ; as stated : looking after a good healthy population comes first , Disease study , secondary , necessary , but not to extreme ,

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Below is a copy of a post from @lepfarmer (Daily Pictures #106), Dec 31, 2013. Now, the Monarch is being considered for endangered species status in the US. I still believe lep's statement holds true and that it is not the Monarchs that are endangered, but the Migration due to loss of habitat. At any rate there are well-meaning people concerned enough to want to "save the Monarchs". These people are growing host plants and nectar plants though out the US and Canada to provide habitat for the Monarchs and this is a very good thing. I don't believe the US and Canada will be able to replace the habitat that the Monarchs have enjoyed in past years, but i do believe people providing habitat are making a positive difference in helping to keep the Migration alive.

At the same time many people are raising the Monarch caterpillars inside houses, in cages, in "safe" environments to produce as many butterflies as they can and this may or may not be a good thing for the survival of the Monarchs over time. I hesitate to speak about my concerns, but now that it is brought up, i will mention some of them. Many people will no doubt disagree with what i have to say, and that's fine but i would like to express my point of view.

In the first place i would like to emphasize that no person knows how to be a butterfly or caterpillar better than a butterfly or a caterpillar does. It is programmed in their DNA.

I have observed, when watching caterpillars in their natural environment, that a caterpillar with parasites (for example), obviously too young to be pupating, will leave the bush it is feeding on and disappear into the brush. Presumably this is not to infect the rest of the caterpillars on the bush. If the caterpillar is in a cage, leaving the bush does not become an option. In addition, while feeding, the caterpillars naturally keep a distance from each other (for the most part). So, it may be that diseases will be transmitted one to another in a caged setting.

Caterpillars have a schedule for their development. They have so much time to reach certain stages in their development, and if this schedule is not met, they will not have a healthy pupation. I am concerned that the artificial lighting inside a house for example might be detrimental to their development compared to the natural light and dark they would experience in a natural outside environment.

Caterpillars raised in a natural outdoor setting, uncaged, and presumably on their host plants until they pupate, experience many things that caged caterpillars do not experience. Predators, rain, wind, storms, deciding which leaf to eat, searching for the perfect place to pupate, for example. They are programmed by their DNA how to deal with whatever they might experience in the natural world. I think the resulting information that they have and continue to have reinforces their DNA and also enables them to adjust to certain environmental changes, strengthening their ability to adapt and survive. I think this is my major concern regarding raising caterpillars caged and safe. And i think in the long run it may cause more harm than good.

I have seen photos of fresh butterflies that are caged, and are ready and need to fly with tattered wings beating against the enclosure to become free. It breaks my heart to see that.

Here is @lepfarmers post of December 31, 2013

lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

December 31, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9737448

Bookmark this post
"Vitrsna is quite correct -- we've been shaking our finger at Mexico for cutting down the oyamel trees at the same time we genetically modified crops allowing them to be sprayed with pesticides and have devastated milkweeds in the process. Monarchs get all the press, but this has hurt many other invertebrates as well. One thing I liked about this PBS clip was that they mentioned that the monarch is NOT endangered. That's something that almost always gets lost in the story. Monarchs are one of the most opportunistic species of butterflies on the planet. When pressed by a knowledgeable reporter, the scientists in the forefront will grudgingly admit that the species itself is not at all threatened -- that it's the migration phenomenon that is in trouble. Monarchs themselves will outlast us all.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1345046/#ixzz3otKngGgY

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

vitrsna, I agree that we should let nature take its course. Except mankind has decided otherwise with rapid destruction of habitat and resources. In my locale, there is a daily loss of habitat by land development and mismanagement of resources. Thus a constant struggle by fauna and flora for survival. So a few good souls trying to help mother nature; makes one feel there is hope and a future but these efforts are probably insignificant in the realm of live. Saving a few butterflies is rather insignificant when one observes the daily losses from predators and automobiles.
But I still enjoy rearing a few butterflies as a hobby and try to do it as natural as possible. Pillar houses are kept out side and tops are removed near eclosure for easy departure. Hopefully the interchanges on this forum will make us all better informed and responsible stewards of nature.
Turned cold overnight, a few butterflies in the back yard basking in the sun to get warm. A red banded hairstreak, tattered Red spotted Purple, Orange Sulphur, Question Mark and a big Cloudless Sulphur. A large Monarch flew overhead, heading southward. That's where I need to be headed too for warmth.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

I absolutely agree CA that human intervention is the primary cause of the disappearing habitat, not just for the butterflies but for a number of other critters as well and the most important thing we can do is work to replace that lost habitat to the extent that we possibly can. I applaud all the gardeners in the US and Canada who are working to save the Migration of the Monarchs because these gardeners are making a difference.

I like your idea for caterpillar rearing and hopefully some people inclined toward rearing, will follow your model. Firstly, the pillars you rear have natural cycles of light and darkness without artificial lighting to confuse their DNA. They will be outside and exposed to most of the elements of the natural world that they are programmed to know, and most importantly you are making sure that when it is time for them to fly, they will be free to do so and not have to wait for someone to wake up or come home from work.

I enjoyed the bfly photos. You have such a nice variety of visitors to your garden, with special props for that big Cloudless Sulphur.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi all, first of vitrsna, my thought and prayers with you and people in Mexico for safety as storm 'Patricia' made land fall.

On the debate on Monarchs, I respect both sides of the supporters. I am not leaning on one side other the other, and will not promise that I will stop loving, and supporting these flying beauties.

This morning, especially it was a peaceful morning here in my little corner of the world, I saw 2 Monarch butterflies fly by. One did stop and sipped some nectar before it continued on its journey Southward.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Thank you Lily, all is peaceful here, people mopping up. So far as i have heard there was no loss of life and little damage. The rain has stopped here now and we are hoping it will continue rainless for awhile. The people on the coast and in the mountains are still vulnerable to the possibility of landslides and we are all hoping this does not happen. The Mexican govt acted proactively after the airports shut down and got enough tour buses to evacuate 15,000 tourists to Guadalajara and to have many heavy earth movers in place to clear obstructions like a ton of mud and downed trees that often block the roads during such events.

I am not sure there is a debate going on about the Monarchs as much as there is an inquiry about what the problem is and how best to handle it. I am sure no one is asking you to stop growing milkweeds and nectar plants in support of the Migration. If any one asks you to "promise" anything, just ignore them. I'm sure no one will, but just in case :-D

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Such a beauty - this guy was just outside my window (10/21) begging for its picture to be taken. I had not seen this one here before, but I sure welcome it back. It appears to be a Gulf Fritillary.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Glad everyone is okay, vitrsna!!

Beautiful pics, everyone! Very interesting discussions, too.

I can understand the reasoning behind not wanting people to actually keep Monarchs in captivity, but in many areas protecting the eggs and/or cats from predators and breeding them in captivity helps to increase the population. So I guess the debate/inquiry will rage on.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I can appreciate the concerns and inquiries. I am a firm believer of making contributions, however small the effort maybe. Peace be with those who love nature and being proactive.

Another lone Monarch on its quest for the long journey south today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

There are ways to protect the eggs and caterpillars that are non-invasive and provide them both protection and a natural environment. See CA Ivy's post above Oct. 18, 2015 2nd paragraph. See vitrsna post Oct. 18 2015 above 1st and 2nd paragraphs. These are ideas and suggestions, and i don't know who is debating anything, but it's not me. No one should fear an idea for heaven's sake.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I still enjoy coming through and reading here ,
You all have a delightful nature ,
All I have seen in a while , Tiger Moth larvae ,etc , Woolly Bear , and another

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Awwwwh...cute little guy!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ju, nice.

I was so delighted to find these in the garden yesterday.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Lily Delightful , Still a few late zinnia blooming here ,but I have not seen a butterfly for a while now ,

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ju, 'ole man winter is on the way. I'm trying to enjoy these while we still can. :)

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Nice Long-tailed skipper, Lily. It would be nice to see one in my location.

Took my middle aged son on a bugging vacation to SW Arkansas. Weather didn't cooperate but did see lots of Monarchs at Millwood lake which is famous for swamps, big bass and gators. The Monarchs were nectaring a water based yellow flowers (coreopsis ?). These flowers were everywhere within the lake and islands.The spring floods had the lake 20 feet above normal so spooky looking debris huts were left on the cypress trees when the water receded.
Only a few butterfly species and damsel flies were seen but we had a great time out in nature anyway.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Pics that didn't get attached.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nice Monarch interesting Cypress , that is a big stump or ? wow unusual

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Ju, that is 20 feet Cypress trees covered with flood debris. When the water settled to normal level debris clung to trees and formed hollow tepee / hut like structures. Here's a few more debris huts. Some are even scary. Note all the yellow flowers in each pic.which I assume are some sort of aquatic Coreopsis.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Ivy Could they be butterworts or bladderworts , their actually insect eating plants , the flower part ,

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

My goodness, how interesting are those "huts". Ivy, it's wonderful that you can share those good time with your son. Ju, insect eating plants? I need to do more reading up on those plants. How neat!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Wow! What a bugging vacation in SW Arkansas. Wonderful experience for you and your son! Those debris huts are AMAZING - Thanks for sharing. That may be one of the most interesting things I have seen here at Dave's Gardens. I'm trying to imagine what all has and will take shelter there in those huts and how long it will take for them to deteriorate. Some were spooky? Spooky to the extent they looked like they could have been inhibited by - How spooky? The flowers do look like some sort of coreopsis. VERY VERY INTERESTING!

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

I have a little news about how the migration has been and is going south of the border. The numbers look good here with a year much higher in Monarchs than last year is anticipated.

There are 10,000 people assigned to the various routes to monitor progress. They monitored October and will monitor November as well.

In addition, in locations in 13 states of Mexico, the speed limit has been reduced to 60 kmph (about 37 mph). This slower speed will allow the butterflies time to get out of the way of cars and trucks.

Also along the migration routes the govt has planted an abundance of milkweeds. I am not sure, but i think this may be the first year that the planting of milkweeds has been done. So, there is much work being done to assure maximum numbers will arrive safely. I can't wait to see the numbers.

So they are doing what they can to allow that the maximum number of Monarchs will reach their over-wintering grounds.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

vitrsna That is nice news and a nice story about Monarch BF's

Lily , and any who might be interested the plants that eat insects ,Most are smaller some grow to a few ft. more to educate about , lol

Utricularia is the name to copy or type in your browser

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Ju. Vitrsna how neat that efforts are being made to aid the Monarchs arrival there. I noticed today news announced some of first have complete their journey. How amazing! On the other hand, I saw two passing by my garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

C A ivy I love love love sulphur and for years have planted to encourage them visiting my garden. Right now seeing/enjoying quite a few though not as many as monarchs. I have a mob of those, yippee!

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Lots of cool rain across Arkansas and Texas. Hope the Monarch stragglers are OK and make it to welcoming Mexico.

Vossner, do you have host plants as well as nectaring plants for Sulphurs?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Yes

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh boy, I sure have missed a lot here recently.

I've had some sort of virus & cough and have been sick for over three weeks! Whatever this was/is I'm not done with it yet, but I'm coming around. My husband caught it first and even being two weeks ahead of me, he's not 100% yet.

Wonderful pics you guys! When I've felt well enough to lurk, I've really enjoyed them very much so Thank You for being here!!

What few butterflies we had this year are long gone and we're heading toward winter. The heavy winds the last couple of days have cleared all the leaves off the trees, yet we still have a few blooms that butterflies would enjoy...go figure.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

N.A.N. here is to wish you and hubby a full recovery soon. Temp. has dropped down considerably here too. No butterflies sighting has been for the 4-5 days. Some rare bees seen here and there, it has been much too wet (rain) for this time of year here.

Oh wait, there were still a few Gulf Frits. hanging around my bulb-flowers bed that I've forgotten about. Where these pretties go once the winter arrives?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Nuts...sorry to hear you and Mr. Nuts have been unwell with a despicable and persistent virus. I've heard such things can hang around in damp toothbrushes and keep reinfecting. They say to dunk or spray toothbrushes with some antiseptic like hydrogen peroxide, tea tree oil, or similar, that is of course if you have been feeling well enough to brush your teeth. Hoping you and the hubs are feeling well soon.

Lily...the Gulf Frits head south. They are probably in Florida, parts of Texas, and Mexico. I don't know if they go farther south than Mexico. In the past year i have had hundreds of them in the garden, but not this year. Very few butterflies at my house because the volcano continues to erupt at least once, sometimes 3 times a day and i think the bflies have adjusted their destinations accordingly. I do find some tiny crescent chrysalises though and it always puts a smile on my face to find one. It is so funny to be so close to that volcano and have clear blue skies...all the ash is blowing northeast.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

vitrsna, great tips on reducing the chances of re-infection from microbes. Hah, so they're (gulf frits) playing "snow birds" as well. Interesting. It's been nice here, but I do wish to go further South myself when winter arrives.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Nuts, hope you are feeling better. Stay warm, it's getting colder down here too. Only a few hours of sunshine but when it shinning lots of skippers and a few late season butterflies. While planting the season ending mums today I noted a winter form, gray Gulf Fritillary caterpillar on the passion vine. Then the butterflies started drawing my attention away from dirt digging. A queen flew overhead, first this year, landed briefly and headed southward. Also I saw Variegated frit, Buckeye, and Gulf Frit on the pineapple sage. The marigolds are getting bees, flies, and butterfly activity. No frost yet so nature is extending autumn conditions here.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Beautiful photos CA...looks like you are the only one with bflies. The Buckeye photo is smashing!

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

vitrsna, thanks for the compliment. My photos have greatly improved from when I started my butterfly quest about three years ago.

Living near an active volcano seems unsettling and very dangerous to me. Take care.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much for your well wishes, everyone! I really appreciate it.

Vitrsna, that's a good reminder about disinfecting toothbrushes, something I have done in the past, but recently forgot about, so thanks for that. And yes I was still brushing my teeth through my illness, although it wasn't easy with all the coughing.

Ivy, your last set of pics are awesome...really beautiful!

BTW...CONGRATULATIONS IVY & BRENDA on your winning photos and runner-ups!!!
Ivy, my goodness, that's two years in a row plus the County Fair...that's really impressive...way to go!!

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

HahaHAhaha...i remember those first photos :-), but you know we all knew you were just starting out on this new adventure and we all loved them anyway. They were not in focus, but they were identifiable and you had such a wonderful variety. You certainly have improved and learned so much...it's good for the brains AND it's fun :-).

The people who live here (including myself) have great affection for this volcano. It is kind of like a child going through puberty. It is fascinating to see a mountain growing and inventing itself. Fear is not part of the equation. I feel lucky to have the experience. How many people get to experience this? Well, quite a lot actually, around the world. Because it is one of the 10 most active in the world, it is monitored every minute of every day by dozens upon dozens of scientists and the most sophisticated equipment. If evacuation is required, it is immediate. I think the little animals and maybe the big ones too know when the magma is rising, just like they know when a storm is coming. The ants are my meteorologists and they are always accurate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.