weather in the garden # 139

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

That stuff is awful!

South Hamilton, MA

65° overcast possible scattered showers

Thomaston, CT

Not a very nice 4th.....showers predicted....our family gathering is tomorrow, so we actually picked the better day! I hate bittersweet....that, PI, & Virginia Creeper have taken over my yard!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

showers coming. It is getting overcast but after three hours of digging, I'm done outside anyway

South Hamilton, MA

Unfortunately we have VA creeper as well.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

We have it too, and a bumper crop of PI.

South Hamilton, MA

5 leaves vs three.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

PI is really bad (was anyone not sure?) but I think for us porcelain berry is the worst. Virginia creeper is way down the list. Hard for me to rank them because I have never gotten poison ivy, but my husband suffers terribly. I think he finally recognizes PI now, though. I had no idea we had it here; I was taught to recognize and avoid it when I was a kid in Virginia.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

we have had 3 days clear of rain, yay! rain coming again later this week

Thomaston, CT

Today was lovely.....75, sunny, breeze coming off of Tyler Lake...blueberries will be ready to pick on Thurs., & the raspberries are plump & sweet!

Thomaston, CT

Hazy, hot, humid.....high of 88 today.....painter is back, my family room is cocooned in plastic!

Thomaston, CT

Overcast, very warm, humid....showers predicted....

South Hamilton, MA

72° & overcast

Thomaston, CT

Yesterday and today are carbon copies.......am I showing my age with that? LOL Anyway, it's very overcast, showery, so humid you can barely breathe!

South Hamilton, MA

77° then it goes to low 80s, back down to 75° then back up to the 80s. Perhaps showers but those are more to the south. Strange temperature shift.

Thomaston, CT

No rain here yesterday, but the other side of town had heavy showers! Supposed to get showers later today & heavy rain...1-3" tonight.....enough with the rain!

South Hamilton, MA

57° I don't think that we will get much rain. High 80s on the weekend. I'm not looking forward to that.

Thomaston, CT

We did get rain, but I'm not sure how much....not as much as predicted......heat on for the next few days....it'll feel like summer!

South Hamilton, MA

75° here warmer over the weekend. Over an inch of rain last night, no thunder.

Thomaston, CT

Sunny & hot for the weekend.....need to weed!

South Hamilton, MA

81° going to be hotter tomorrow.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Mid 80s here and very oppressive air even with the sun shining. I am looking at the weeds, imagining how nice it will be to get them out...It's a better day for online shopping at the sales.

Annie's annuals wishlist verbascum selections came today. Very nice looking.

Actually work on succulent planters is continuing in the shade. I have decided to build one very wide pot display and cannabalize the others.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

yesterday and today were dry. need to catch up on weeds!

South Hamilton, MA

In the 80s today, but going up to 90 tomorrow for the first time. Not looking forward to that!

Thomaston, CT

In the high 80s to 90 today....too hot to weed! Rosemary, the verbascum has taken over one of my gardens.....most of the yellow in this photo is from one verbascum I bought from Annie's Annuals!

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
South Hamilton, MA

72° partly cloudy this morning.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Love the yellow verbascum. It does help to achieve a cottage garden look, doesn't it? My areas needed white spikes, so I got verbascum nigra alba and the other white selections. We'll see how they do. The one I have nicknamed "Bombastic" is a foreigner that has large hairy grey leaves so it is to be an edging plant for the wide leaved magnolia grandifloras (which are only now putting out their fresh new leaves).

Today is supposed to be quite hot but it's still 74 outside and actually seems better than this time yesterday. And the town composting center for free compost is open only today (go figure)

BTW there is absolutely no sign of any RLBs on the lily display, but plenty of pollinators, and I think I saw a Monarch! The weeds are emparassingly tall, however.

Thomaston, CT

Yes, the weeds have taken over here....just too busy to get to them when it's cool, & I'm not about to get heatstroke.....85 today, sunny, & pretty humid, but worse tomorrow.....

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Rather than face the weeds, I had a nice after hours conversation about gardening and DG with a coworker. Weeds don't seem to mind waiting...More mulch please, said the tired gardener to herself. At this point I want more rock sized pine bark. It's the only deterrent I can see. This evening is quite humid outside.

South Hamilton, MA

supposed to be in the 70s tomorrow. I hope so.

Thomaston, CT

I worked for 2 hours in the veggie garden last evening....have several more hours to go.....very heavy shower this morning......should be spot showers all day today.....

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

rain again today. June was our 3rd rainyst and July looks like June

Thomaston, CT

Same here! I'm damp & clammy, the gardens never seem to dry out.......mostly cloudy today with a chance of....showers!

South Hamilton, MA

78° cloudy shower predicted. Person from the tree service came this morning & looked at a pine tree branch which came partway down this spring. It would fall on our neighbor's side to the edge so should be taken care of.

Thomaston, CT

Yes, Lucy, I have several trees that need to be taken down here.....perhaps in the fall......yesterday, after torrential downpours, a cold front moved in.......chilly last night & this morning!

South Hamilton, MA

63° with a breeze & partly cloudy

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

(edited) I see the rain passed through here overnight leaving a cool sunny morning.

Speaking of expensive tree work, I see trouble in my lovely ash trees. This week a very large dead limb crashed down but fortunately it only impacted on the rocks in my new conifer berm. Last year the Emerald Ash Borer had gotten to Western Mass, so ? We still have to split the mulberry wood from two trees (makes a sweet smelling fire). I think we'll get the tree guy in after three college checks go out. No garden parties here this year.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2015 6:56 AM

Thomaston, CT

Wow....one college check was awful....three? Don't know what I'd do! Ash trees don't seem to live long......When we moved onto property there were 3 ash trees.......Within 20 years, all were gone & there was no Emerald Ash borer back then.......Sunny & cool today, in the high 70s.....

South Hamilton, MA

71° nice & cool for weeding, but tough on the shoulder as I have not done weeding for awhile.

Thomaston, CT

Yes, these old bones are complaining, too......cloudy this morning with showers.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.