weather in the garden # 139

Thomaston, CT

Did you mean 78, Lucy? It was close to 80 here yesterday, but down to 70 today......maybe showers Sunday night.....really hope so....cannot remember a drought like this before.....

South Hamilton, MA

Right, I hit the wrong key. 68 yesterday & 61° right now. Will be in the mid 60s. There must be ragweed about as I have been fighting a runny nose.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Weatherman says pollen is high and i believe it too.

I can relate to those veggies. I'd enjoy a little sugar, too.

South Hamilton, MA

My nose believes it.

Thomaston, CT

Allergies have been pretty awful! Sun just starting to peep from behind the clouds.....68 the high for today....have to make more applesauce....the apples are all over the place, I've been trying to throw them on the compost, but I never seem to make a dent in the amount!

South Hamilton, MA

58° going to be a high of 62. Apple pie?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sounds yummy!

Breezy mid 70's.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

65 sunny and breezy now.

Our CSA garden share has tons of apples in it too. Good for us lazy people to bake by themselves in the oven if i even remember to do that.

Weston Nursery has a 40% off sale. My choices turned out to be missing although on their availability list (sigh) so the catalogs are still the mainstay for odd and unusual plants.

Any suggestions about where to buy a highly discounted garden bench? We can take a leaf peeping drive so the area is pretty large for looking. Currently the debate is stone or resin vs antiqued blue wire construction to bring out the Atlas cedar colors for a secret garden and waiting area.

Thomaston, CT

Gee....that's not something I think about....bought a granite bench for a memorial garden honoring my SIL, but went to a stoneworks place for that....72 the high for today.....still a bright blue, sunny sky out there!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

There was a 20% off furniture sale at New England Nurseries near us that included stone benches, which is unusual. They had a special curved bench made of polished basalt stone, so it was now instead of never! Digging five inches down in its outline for the gravel base was a breeze compared to the other garden projects. Soon one secret garden will begin to look rather finished.

South Hamilton, MA

We went outside to see the eclipse tonight. Just the edge of the moon is visible. Too late to see it come out the other side.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

It was pretty cool o look at through binoculars

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

We have to stop looking, too. Pretty amazing. I'm trying to remember what I was doing 33 years ago.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

33 years ago...

1982...going into my senior year as a metallurgical engineering student. Soon to become outstanding Senior Metallurgist. And a career path never taken.

And so it goes...

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Really, VV? That's what my dad did. There weren't many places to do that work in those days. I remember thinking I must be really old by 2015.

South Hamilton, MA

64° supposed to be in the mid 70s by afternoon.

Thomaston, CT

The eclipse was fun....eerie color....then house was so bright with the super moon, I didn't sleep until 3:30! Rosemary, the bench sounds awesome....would love to see a photo! Sun is out, 70s & humid....

Uh oh (Twilight Zone music playing in the background)...

How many degrees of separation are now left, RosemaryK?

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, that's easy. The answer is zero cause we are exchanging messages. Triandis was one of my professors and had claim to the research long before Kevin Bacon started to act.

So, VV, since you are lurking on this thread, how wide will my Cedrus atlantica glauca aurea robusta (I know, I know, I can lengthen the name by inserting that it's the libani species) become, assuming I can keep it watered and it grows? The nursery sales sites, including Bloom River where I bought it, claim it is more dwarf than the typical Cedrus atlantica glauca, which I know might become 40 feet wide in time. The internet listings and google photos all conflict. The spot required a desert tree considering the ubiquitous builders sand that can't all be moved.

I promise to photograph the bench as soon as I put it up and share pics of what I've been babbling about. This weekend I found my camera cable and charger.

Thomaston, CT

Cloudy, maybe a shower today....yay! Still warm & humid, but that will change soon.....

South Hamilton, MA

69° showers? turning to real rain tomorrow.

Thomaston, CT

Showery....rain has stopped for the moment.....can't believe it will be in the 50s by Friday!

South Hamilton, MA

69° rain started here about 10 am.

Maybe a new thread is due (in time for Joaquin), since you've surpassed 500...

South Hamilton, MA

Who ever knows how to do it. 61°

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

new thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1406481/

South Hamilton, MA

39° Into the 40s at last today. finish snow melt? It is a light cover, but evidently very cold. Sun seems to be appearing.

South Hamilton, MA

35° sunny

I posted this on the other thread already...

I hesitate to be the one to do such a thing from far away, but I only recently noticed that this forum has two separate threads with the same weather #139 title - and both threads are getting current activity.

If I could be so bold as to suggest starting a new thread - for this new oncoming spring? I'll start it, with your generous permission...

Thomaston, CT

Sounds perfect, VV....

OK, a new thread dubbed Weather in the Garden #140! can be found here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1418592/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.