weather in the garden # 139

South Hamilton, MA

It rained at the Patriots football game last night to the south of us, but not a drop here.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

had 1 1/2" of rain last night as the storms rolled through. getting hot for the next few days with pop up storms

Thomaston, CT

Still no ran has fallen here......my rain barrel is empty....my well is holding on.......getting scary dry!

South Hamilton, MA

72° & comfortable. Been chasing around this morning looking for a traditional phone to replace one which has problems. Radio shack had it. All Verizon had was cell type which doesn't fit one's ear. Ugh!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Pretty nice day today, soft breeze. Very clear sky and not humid.

Nice weather was so inspiring I went to yet another nursery and found a picea abies 'The Cobra' and Cedrus atlantica 'Blue Cascade,' both marked down, and perfect additions to the right places. They are fairly large, the bargain cedar requiring a fork lift to load into the car. Cool weather also allowed several digging marathons. Shrubs including the corylus avellana Red Dragon got moved to make plenty of room for the shasta viburnum to grow to full size. The area looks better with big spaces around the viburnum. Will post pics soon.

Rockport, ME(Zone 5b)

I lived in New Jersey from the ages of 3 to 13, so I well remember being miserably hot and drenched from the humidity (before air conditioning) in the summer. I thought that was just a normal summer. Now that I live on the Maine coast I think I'd about die if it ever hit 90. A few times a summer we'll see 82, that's about it. Very late and short growing season though, still trying to figure all that out.

Thomaston, CT

That's a fun challenge, Drumlin! Weather is once again beautiful, sunny, warm, breezy.....Sounds like you found the phone you wanted, Lucy. Rosemary, your new plants sound like they will fit right into your landscape.....

Thomaston, CT

Sunny & hot today.....broken record......but it's better than SNOW! Heading up to the farm for a picnic....

South Hamilton, MA

79° heading up to 90 which doesn't make me happy.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Last chance to wear white pants if you follow those rules.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Just drove past a thermometer...97 degrees!

South Hamilton, MA

I don't have a pair of white pants. ☺ I always that the rules were 'white shoes'. silly fashions.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm mostly just saying it. My grandmother might have cared....not I.

I happen to be wearing white pants, and I thought of it. I will certainly wear them as long as it is hot. My husband really likes them, so I have two pair in case (hahaha) one ever gets dirty. One's always in the wash, of course.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2015 7:40 PM

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I usually put away my white purse about now, so I must be a fashion conformist.

I was a great weather 3 day weekend, though the heat did limit being in the sun at peak time. we got the 4 new conifers in, averaging around 5 gallon pots. The Cedar must have been ten gallons. It needed a forklift to get it into the trunk. Fortunately we could roll it into the wheelbarrow. I love sales. It cost a fifth of the list price, and I don't mind the broken branches, Its silver blue needles shine a light into the area facing a gigantic yew tree. One more big tree is coming mail order.

Thomaston, CT

Love silver needles.....also love the softness of Dawn redwood which is planted by our town bandstand....too bad the needles are shed this time of year.....Hot yesterday at the farm's picnic.....about 40 folks were there.....My son's MIL asked that we pick the peaches, as selling blueberries & raspberries were enough for her.....I went out reluctantly because it was so hot, & I thought the peaches would be puny....not so.....very large, red & delish!

South Hamilton, MA

84° already. I could do without the heat.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I can taste the peaches. Yum. I have a dwarf dawn redwood in a pot, which I really love also.

It got up to about 95 today. tomorrow expected into the 90s also. Just finished the supplemental watering as the ground just soaks up whatever it is given. And to imagine we planted three new conifers this weekend.

South Hamilton, MA

70° by afternoon it will be close to 90 again. So far in our cool house we have been able to take the weather. I suspect this afternoon, I will be forced to retreat to the room with the air conditioner.

Thomaston, CT

There was enough of a breeze yesterday that I didn't need the a/c even though it was 93 on my thermometer......the fans kept the house cooler.....but today there is no breeze, so the a/c will be turned on......many schools dismissed early yesterday, & many will again today.....so weird for this time of year....

South Hamilton, MA

3rd day of 90° or thereabouts. Spent the afternoon in the spare room with the air conditioner. First time in Sept since 1983.

Thomaston, CT

Hit 90 in the downtown area....88 here on the hill....rain during the night, cloudy now...need a whole more of the rain....

South Hamilton, MA

66° It feels good after the 90 degree stuff. A bit of rain, but not very much.

South Hamilton, MA

62° rain overnight

Thomaston, CT

Some rain here, but not as much as we needed.....coastal areas like New London had much more.....

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

rained hard here last night - still need more

South Hamilton, MA

Steady rain here overnight. DH measured about 2 inches.

South Hamilton, MA

65° & overcast

Thomaston, CT

It was sunny this morning, clouded up around noon.......rain coming in for tonight, showers tomorrow....of course....I'm heading for the fair!

South Hamilton, MA

Take an umbrella. that will stop any rain.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

We had a cool overcast morning, then the sun came out briefly but by 3 pm the temps dropped again. My dog is in his safety position under the desk tonight. Rain is actually not predicted until tomorrow, though. Weather was not the limiting factor for digging in the garden today. I could see it was dry under the top inch or two of soil.

Thomaston, CT

Yes, we need tons more rain before the ground freezes....let's hope that happens late this year.....

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

More moisture before freezing means more snow? Oh dear.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I chat about the weather while buying supplies such as soil. They're pretty much preparing for a very fierce winter.

We've gotten light rain off and on, overcast and cool temps. Not enough to stop the digging, dividing and planting in the peony garden, and getting ready for the blue-yellow atlas cedar to get here. I hit a big underground boulder where blue spruce Baby Blue was to go. I think it will have to winter over in a pot after all while I figure this out. Everything looks so simple before I begin!

South Hamilton, MA

It felt chilly & damp all day. We have a peony coming in the mail so should compost into the spot.

South Hamilton, MA

59° supposed to be 70 by afternoon.

Thomaston, CT

That's the forecast for here as well, then the heat is back....did much better than I expected at the fair.....5 blues, 2 reds & 1 white.....not much competition because of the drought!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Great job, RD!!!

Love sleeping with the windows open and with a blanket.

South Hamilton, MA

Great about the fair. Were the dahlias your winners?

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

50-degrees right now, but supposed to go up to 80-degrees today and be Sunny! Great News!

Thomaston, CT

Thanks.....Yes, Lucy, my maroon ball dahlias took a first, the specimen took a second....they were the only dahlias I had blooming.....Weather today is awesome.....sunny & 70s!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.