CLOSED: Groundhogs and Daffodils Chat

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We came here from ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1385932/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1385932/

Will the groundhog see his shadow? Our weather today says he definitely will so I'm rooting for an early Spring. :-)

This message was edited Feb 2, 2015 5:36 AM

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You're welcome.

Going to try to sleep,,,,,, night alll.. Lol

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

He may see his shadow, but it's going to be a chilly day here in the heart of the Deep South.

I had 3 crocheted shawls that my sister had made and I wanted to clean them. i put them in the washing machine on the quick wash cycle -- and it ripped holes in all 3. How could I be so stupid. I feel horrible about this .I realize in the scheme of things, this is not important, but I guess I am just holding on to my sister as long as I can. She has been dead nearly 2 1/2 years now, but I guess helping clean out her house after her son's death has just cracked me open again.

And, speaking of the insignificant that pains, I had kept an anole in my greenhouse window over the sink since the fall. He came in when I brought plants in. Last Thursday he got frightened by cleaning activity around the window and took off and the last he was seen he ran into the coat closet. I emptied the closet (a Herculean task), but no sign of him. I put a lamp on the floor with some plants surrounding it , hoping to lure him back, but after more than 3 days, no sign of him. He may already be dehydrated. I am moving the lamp and plants this morning, and officially giving up. I should have taken him to the big greenhouse when I first saw him, as my ever critical husband told me. But I was selfish. I enjoyed thinking about him among the leaves, snapping up tiny insects and sipping drops of water, even when I did not see him. Now he is gone forever and it is my fault.

Yes, I know you are not therapists.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

But we're good listeners (hopefully). One of our cats liked to chase the anoles here and chew their tails. I'm afraid there aren't many left, but since we no longer have that cat, there may be hope for more anoles to come and stay.

I've done the same with my mother's things, Crystal. I've held on to so many.

I went through all my old seeds this weekend and threw out 99% of them as well as some indoor plants. Wow, that feels good. I have a load of nick-knacks for Goodwill but nothing that had belonged to mom. I'm sure some of those will be the last to go. A lot of old magazines and catalogs went to the garbage. I can now see my funky vintage kitchen stool. I had forgotten what it looked like. lol.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I hope you got a good night's sleep, Kris?

I have to ask what a anole is?

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

You might call it a chameleon as it can change from green to brown, but it is a type of lizard. They have much smoother looking skin than a chameleon. They are not fighters like skinks which are the ones with a blue stripe down the back.

Ah, thanks for the info!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well down South, General Beauregard Lee did NOT see his shadow so spring will come early here. Believe it or not, General B has been right every year except 1993. That's quite a record. But, then, animals have those instincts. :)

Hey everyone,, I finally got a bit of sleep!!

I hope no one minds if I ask this,, but pretty much everyone here knows my Granddaughter Goober / Kaitlyn. She wants to join the track club and has to do some fund raising to help pay for her fees, clothes and travel stuff. Her school is selling candy and also magazines. If anyone would like to order I can send you the place to order online and the code for her to get the credit for any sales. The candy is all kinds of really good CHOCOLATE,! Read that Crystal CHOCOLATES!!!!!!! And is only $6.00 per item.

I ordered 5 boxes! But since I cannot eat it,, some peeps here will get them in their boxes that I send out!! Lol. Please send me a Dmail if you are interested And thanks up front.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

If any of you are interested in seeing if there is an Osher Lifelong Learning Institute near you, look here:

http://nrc.northwestern.edu/find-an-olli-near-you/

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We have one at Vanderbilt, about 60 miles away.

The map shows here is one in Austin, about 4 hours from us. Just a little too far to travel.

My closest is in Auburn, Al!!

If anyone has extra canna's, they are thinning out, please let me know.

I might have some. Will not know for at least a month,,, plus plan on getting all mine from old house this spring!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You're a good kid, Kris. I don't think I have any Cannas left in my yard.

Kris, that would be awesome. Thanks so much!

I have tons of cannas and my neighbor has bunches too,, maybe she will want to thin some out? I will ask,,,,

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I only had 3 cannas but with everything that was going on with my Dad last fall, I forgot to dig mine up. So if you would have extras I would gladly pay postage. Kathy

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

To be pretty Canna's need more water than I am willing to supply. I have a few as well as some I got from Lk in a bulb swap last year, so I am trying to nurse those along. The ones I got from Mother's house are only about a foot tall and I just ran them over with a mower last year. Just gave up on them. Think water was the problem. The oaks make the area they are in very dry.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I can't find the thread to the most recent round robin seed swap. Can someone help me. Maybe I am just blind?

I was not aware of any seed swaps round robin, so I went looking. This is all I can find. Do you know who started the thread?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1373661/

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Maybe it was named something else Amanda started it

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

She called it a bird, so I guess it was(is) a round robin

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Amanda said she would be posting an interest thread sometime.

Check here... all the threads she has started.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/threads.php?user=AmandaEsq

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I found it. Seed trading:2014 robin . I have reposted my question there so maybe I will get an answer

Glad you found it!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I just did a huge seed purge and threw out soooo many old seeds. Still seem to have a ton of them, but now maybe it's only half a ton. ;-) Don't need anymore though.

I'm the same way about the Cannas, Crystal. Mine are too far from the house to drag the hose to water them, but often our rainfall is enough to do the trick. My last ones came from Fruity and they are still growing out back.

And I see at least 12 clumps of daffodils emerging. I'm very happy about that. They are among my favorite flowers.

Anyone up for a little squash or pumpkin growing contest?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1385922/

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm already in on that one. :-)

Sounds like fun/ I have never grown squash before. I need to do some shopping, and see what I can find.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Do you all remember the story of the 3 Billy Goats Gruff? I am taking Storytelling this term and I think I will tell that one. I always liked it. Plus there was the time Mother and I made my sister mad when we were walking over a bridge, by insinuating that my sister was the BIG Billy Goat. Mother and I laughed so hard we could barely stand up and my sister just stood there with her lips poked out. I was the youngest and I was in my 30's when this happened. I still smile to myself when I think about it.

That would be a great class!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

My mother was a school teacher. Reading and all the riches that come with that were very important to her. I have fond memories of fairy tales and all kinds of children's stories and wonderful books like A Child's Garden Of Verses. I still have an old copy of that one.

Where are you taking that class, Crystal?

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Storytelling is wonderful, Crystal! My grandson is a good candidate for that class, lol. At 5 yrs old he can really tell a story, he told me about his fishing trip with his daddy, it was hilarious. He definitely has a gift for telling a story. My grandbabies always want me to read to them, Gabriel is learning to read to me. Such fun!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Definitely something to be cherished and encouraged, Annette. Worth it's weight in gold.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.