What's happening in your neck of the woods - 2015

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thanks Betty

I'm going on a concentrated search for my peacock quilt top - apparently I received it back in May 2013, and haven't seen it lately......... I thought I tore the place apart to find it, but apparently not.

Victoria Harbour, ON

You did receive it, hmm now where did you put it

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Happy Easter to my friends here. Bells play tomorrow - we'll do this piece - but I think, a bit faster.
https://www.handbellworld.com/music/MusicPiece.cfm?Piece=15338

Can't remember what else I was planning to say - had a post written and then went looking for the sound clip for handbells and forgot to come back.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Bob says I showed it to him as well, Betty, so I HAVE to have it somewhere...... lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy easter to all of you
Hoping its a sunshine day in your neighborhood.

Lovely piece Ann
Let the bells chime, the Lord has risen!

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Happy Easter to everyone ...

Ann ... the piece is lovely :-)

Hope you're enjoying the sun and sand Betty

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Happy Easter everyone!!!

How's Bob, Susan ?

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, he says he definitely won't be able to go to work on Tues. With great care he can bend forward, but to move sideways, or twist - nuh uh......... Again - his job is a very physical one so he won't have a choice but to take time off. I don't know what he's going to do about pay....That would be 2 of us without pay
We shall have to see.

btw - finished the 2nd baby blanket, in only 1 week, whereas the 1st one took 3 weeks! wow, what a difference a pattern makes..... and the 2nd one is bigger than the 1st.

Great news on the Baby Blankets !
NOT so good news re Bob .. but.. unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast with a rib injury.
The ribs are located front and centre .. and, pretty basically move with every move you make.
They do take a bit of time to heal to the extent that those jabbing pains no longer take your breath away .. back in the day we would 'tape' a patient, now, it's not done (time and $$)
Not sure if Shoppers would have a support for him that could be rented .. they do have lots of stuff .. other than that, a physiotherapist might help you out as well.
Good luck ..

Cold, but sunny here today .. finding various ways to use leftover ham :-)
Making dog biscuits as well ..

Toodles

~M~

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy Easter to you all

"M" Shingles is horribly painful so I hope the mix will give Gord some comfort.
"S" Looking forward to hearing that Bob is on the mend
"A" Hand bells are amazing as well I don't know how you do all that you do!

Have some plants started and realized that I have 50 Sun Gold tomatoes going. What was I thinking?
It's been a crazy winter for us and last November 28 I said good bye to my "Cleo" who was almost 14. She was an amazing friend and always had her tail wagging. That was right after my Dad passed in the same Hospice in Calgary that Carol was in. We had about 6 very close people pass with in 6 months so to loose Cleo was just brutal.
As spring was coming and DD and I were missing that vibe I called my Vet ,who offered to help us when we were ready, and asked her if she had any dogs off the show circle coming home. She does! We will be getting Julia in the next couple of weeks so we are very excited here. Plants growing in the basement, green house will be opened in a few weeks and a new "Kid" coming. Yahooooooo.

Gives a lift and helps me count my blessings.

Anyone else have plants started? And yes I know that things are blooming in Vancouver and other zones that are more plant friendly. I have had photo's sent to tease me with regard to already cutting the lawn!
Alberta Ann

Hey Alberta Ann ..
So wonderful to hear from you .. and, I send you my most sincere condolences for your losses .. just heart breaking ..

What type of dog is Julia .. I think Cleo was a Spaniel, but am likely WAY off on that .. so many friends, with so many breeds of dog ..
All I know is Julia is going to a wonderful home, congrats to you all :-)

PLANTS .. umm .. nadda here, still trying to get shed of the snow. Mind you, not much left, and, the MUD factor is a bit better
I don't pre grow .. have been buying perennials each year so that my annuals purchase is less costly.
Lorna will be going back to work at the cemetery in May .. so, I'll likely supply her with some of my stuff that needs splitting .. the Fleece Plant, some DayLillies and Iris ..

I hope your Spring is wonderful
ENJOY

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilynne - it's actually the back of the rib, on his right side/back where he's hurt.
Bob & I were talking about him returning to work, last night.
He's not anxious to return, as he's still timid about hit ribs. Turn a *little* wrong, and he's in a lot of pain. Unfortunately there's not a lot of "non-physical" work he can do in a janitorial company. Even just doing the laundry would involve lifting heavy bags and twisting. Wet laundry even more so.
We shall see

Anne - that's a lovely hospice that your Dad & Carol were in - such very gentle and helpful people
I understand what you mean by having so many people lost to you in a short span of time. Four for me, in addition to losing our church (we found a new one, but my heart still pines for the old.......)

I found a quilt top I'd been looking for, yesterday - here comes another project for me lol After I do a baby quilt for my grandson Marshall :-)

This message was edited Apr 6, 2015 7:46 AM

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

"M" LOL I don't know how you would remember that it has been a long time since I talked about her, Cleo was a standard Poodle. I have nasty allergies so to fit a bigger dog and cover the allergy thing that is the breed we chose. Amazing dogs and she fit so well into our lives. She wasn't hyper or rude she actually had class. Anyway Julia is also a Standard and with all her showing done needs a forever home so we get to be that home.

Plants coming out of my ears here so I'd better get the Green house open and that will ease the crowding inside. Tomatoes will need transplanting soon. I have found that if you don't keep up with moving them to bigger pots they don't do as well.

Bye for now
Alberta Ann

Hi Ann. I have a few tomatoes just started and some Noir de Cannes melons (whatever they are). I wanted to test the germination on some of these old seeds so put them in damp paper towels and they pretty much all came so I scrambled to get them into some containers. I have oxhearts from my Mum's garden stache, 2002.

~~waving hello everyone~~~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hello Brenda - so nice to see you
Noir de Carmes melons - edible? Would like to see pictures as they're maturing. I just Googled them lol
http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/organicseed/organic/noirdescarmes?gclid=CjwKEAjwo5OpBRDU64qO07OXq00SJADn5hYnrgW_aeBXlWz4_qsrjWJtcAl5rxlJLB6xEAJPtvUx6hoCjvjw_wcB

Hey Ann - I didn't realize that Standard poodles were non-allergenic! Nice that you had one that fit so well into your home, too. And now you have Julia as well :-) That's great for her, and you!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi there Brenda
I did the same with my tomatoes and that is how I ended up with about 50 of them
I have all my lights set up and stuff is just taking off, will need to get my act together and repot . I too did the sprout first and then plant method with all my seeds and it saves me room and then all spots are taken instead of waiting for things to sprout.
The melons look interesting. Will you have room for them inside?

Susan we are very excitedly , is that a word?, waiting for Julia.
Alberta Ann

Ann, I am going to transfer to my greenhouse later. Going out to try and organise now and make a little room. What will probably happen is they will end up going straight outside.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yeah, excitedly is a word, Ann lol
I didn't realize you didn't have her yet - no wonder you're excited :-)

Clunkity boom .. here be I, and, of ALL things to be starting to look green and perky, it's 'PIG SQUEAK' .. nothing else is venturing a peek above the earth ..

Ann standard poodles are so beauteous .. and, BRIGHT .. DH has a good friend who hunts with his and he does an amazing job !! Love being with Rene (the dog), calm and gentl and SO intelligent .. enjoy her every aspect.

Wild medical things happening to me, nohing BAD, just trying to get a blood draw done for a test that is not often done, have the lab in a tizz, but, they have come through ..
Just need a Shingles shot this Monday, and, I am good to go and start on a biologic called Stelara for my psoriatic arthritis ... praying it works ...

TGIF ladies

Have a good weekend :-)

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I used to have a standard poodle - Mr Muggs, after a kid's story book dog (my daughter named him).
Yes, gentle, and not at all temperamental.

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

Does anyone know what is happening with the weekly e-letter we get from Dave's? I think last week there were only two articles and this week only one.

I'd hate to see that end. Since I moved it seems to be the main way I have time to stay connected to Dave's and people who love gardening.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

No idea what's happening with the e-letter.
Frankly, I don't read the e-letter - I can see everything on the website.......

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning everyone,
heavy rains last night ut a sunshine today
so much talk of gardening, I'm getting excited, not as much as you all seeing you are already in the thick of things, I for one have layers of leaves wanting to be raked.

want to chat but sinus problems, head pounding so just wanted to say chat on
will soon be chatty lol

for now need something to cover my eyes, need darkness

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh Betty - hope you feel better soon. Is this a barometric pressure thing?
So many people have problems when the temp/barometer goes up and down so quickly, and they get migraines
Take care.

Very windy here today

WHOoooooooooooooooooooosh ... and along comes the wind and even if ya try to sit out the sand/dust and debris make it pretty much impossible ..

Temps are dandy fine though :-)

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

omg - my son is coming to Calgary for June 1st (first bit of news)

and for the 2nd bit of news...
Bob's boss has bought a house in our neighbourhood, and would like us to rent it! Main floor of a bungalow, and the basement is a suite that we can choose the people who live there! There are so many people we could, like Doug (our 81 yr old friend - he lives in a bedroom of a house), or any of our friends that live in the Mobile Home Park.
We'd have 3 bedrooms, and one of the sides of the 2 car garage. Yard in the front, not the back
We would be able to rent out the mobile home until the park closes - there are people who are looking to rent in the Park.
omg - I'm so excited!! To move, AND to meet my son!!

Awesome news Susan .. enjoy this journey ...

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I am thrilled that I will finally get to see my son - he's coming up with a friend, to Calgary, for June 1st.
The friend has a job Starting June 1st actually, in Lethbridge, Alberta (2 hours drive from here), so Daniel is coming with him. First of all they're going to Mexico cuz this friend (Darren) has a time-share until Aug 5 so my Daniel will take it over, then they're coming here for Darren to take over his new job, then my Daniel will go back to Mexico to stay until Aug 5th. He's invited me to join him, but $450 round trip may be more than I can afford when we're moving into a new place.
Bob's going to talk to his boss and see if he can firm up the details. We need to know the exact rent, and find out what the rent is for the basement suite so we can find people to rent it as well.
Ker (Bob's boss) wants nothing to do with the house but to gather the rent lol
We'll find someone compatible for us, that's all he cares about.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I quit getting the weekly e-letter a few months ago when they stopped listing the steadily declining number of subscribers to DG. I had been tracking the number of subscribers they lost every week and it was pretty high. I figured in another year or so, there wouldn't be any left.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ooooooh that's no good at all. I wonder why the decline? Are people just going to another, or are they not interested in this type of site?

Cost is likely a factor .. and .. probably 'boredom' ..
I find I go to 2 threads, and only look up others as needed .. you can Google most everything you'd like to know ..

I am seriously considering not renewing in August ..

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I couldn't "not" renew and miss friends on here
I know - people can make a FB group and still chat, but not everyone has FB (Shock, eh? lol), or wants it (another Shock!!) lol

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm also seriously considering not renewing in July. There doesn't seem to be much discussion in any of the gardening groups I look at.

Another issue has crept up and kind of taken me by surprise, and, it concerns , from what I gather, are nasty comments that most in a thread are oblivious to (me), and all of a sudden, members drop from the thread and no one (except those in 'the know) are aware of the cause ..
Very disappointing ..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yes, very disappointing when you see friends drop out, and desperately want to see them feel good about being in the group you're in........

Well .. each of us is pretty much n control of our own happiness ..
If someone tends to act first instead of thinking first, and, a comment is made to the determent of another Dave's member, then it appears to me a type of 'trickle down' effect starts to happen ..
Those of us who were not privy to the 'event' are left to guess ..

I'll stick with the 'less said, easiest mended' rule of thumb .. :-)

Lorna's parents arrived, and our perfect sunny and warm has GONE! .. Sheesh .. but, the rain is making the grass green up quickly !!!

Take care

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Been awhile since I've made it over here. My daughter shared this on FB and I thought since some of you are from Calgary or have Calgary connections, you would find it of interest. Bad form on the part of the Lego store manager, I think. https://coldbike.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/child-detained-at-lego-store/

Victoria Harbour, ON

Been sick for a few weeks, ipad decided to be sick at same time
no fun

off to check your link ViolaAnn

I'll have to tell you about my experience with Apple on Saturday

Well Ann .. I hope the family gets the apologies ..
Seems that Mr. Lowe is a 'petty person' to say the least !

Nice to see you back Betty ..

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.