Christmas Treat Recipe Exchange: YUMMY!

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Happy New Year!
Wishing you all a blessed year :)
I'm just cooking for the two of us, so I'm going to cut some smoked pork off a pork shank and cook it in the crockpot with some sauerkraut all day. I'll serve it with some mashed potatoes. Fixed this last year, too, and it was quite delicious!
Michelle

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Joy, I have been to your place, and I know your food is good!

We had navy bean soup with the left over ham bone from Thanksgiving that I had frozen! We had that with a pan of cornbread made in the cast iron skillet.
We shot off a few fireworks about 10, and we were in bed by 10:30.

Happy New Year everyone.

Julie, sorry to hear you had a bad reaction to y our new meds.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

A neighbor brought me a lot of turnips and mustard. There were so many that I sent most of them to the food bank and they were very happy to get them on the last day of the year, just in time for New Years. I cooked a pot of turnips and greens, a pot of peas with coins in it for prosperity, fried okra, and cornbread. Also had a big raw sweet onion and pickles. Those pickles made from dills and turned into sweets. I was asking about that recipe a couple months ago and eventually got it from facebook .
No hog jowl though.

This is my recipe for bread and butter jalapeno's, but i do the same with store bought dill pickles. Just slice one gallon of dill pickles instead of the jalapeno's.
The dill pickles will not be hot.

Bread and Butter Jalapenos

4 lbs jalapeno fresh peppers
fresh pearl onion or sliced fresh onions (if desired)
8 cups white vinegar
4 cups sugar
4 Tbl mustard seed
4 tsp turmeric
4 tsp celery seed
2 tsp ginger
Wash and cut jalapenos and onions into thin slices and pack into jars (I would suggest a pair of rubber gloves for handling jalapenos, personal experience!).

Place remaining ingredients in large sauce pot and bring to a boil. (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF VENTILATION, OR OPEN THE DOORS.)
Pour hot mixture into jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
Remove air bubbles. Tighten caps.
Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath, makes about 8 - 9 pints

Let sit for at least 2 weeks, and enjoy!

This message was edited Jan 2, 2015 8:00 AM

Thumbnail by taters55
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Has anyone ever made any Coolie Butter? I tried a recipe I found online and it was ukk. I bought some at Kroger and it was wonderful. Does anyone have a tested recipe?

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

? What's coolie butter?

Never heard of it.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Yes. Cookie Butter. Spelling mistake

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

The jar I bought was made from Biscoff shortbread cookies. It is wonderful spread on apples.
This recipe seems like it might work better than the one I used. I do not have a food processor except for one that holds about a cup. It is pretty hard to blend them in such a small container. I wonder if the blender would work.

OH MY! I have never heard of cookie butter either, but it sounds good!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well just something else on my no-no list.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

:)

Ocean Springs, MS

Right there with you, Karen! I have a major sweet tooth, but I'm trying to choose better snacks because of high cholesterol, high BP, and trying to lose some weight to help manage fibromyalgia pain. My goal is 1/2 - 1 pound a week. Also, doing exercises and using small weights to build muscle. PT has me pretty motivated, but I have to make these changes if I want to feel better.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Best of luck to you Julie. It is not always easy to make those lifestyle changes. It's good that you have PT to keep you motivated. Why is it so hard for us to do what is the best for for us? lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, those hypotheses can be real buggers.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm scheduled to start Cardiac PT later in the month. I'm glad because I was going to Silver Sneaker 3 times a week and doing great with it. Then got sick for a long spell and dropped out. I'm hoping starting with this will get me built back up to going back to SS.

Don't over do it Karen!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh I'm definitely not over doing. Just a short walk in the house has me wobbling. It's amazing how a few days down in bed can weaken you. I think that's why the PT wasn't scheduled til the end of the month. Gives me three weeks to get back in shape.

Your heart attack had a lot to making you weak also.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Hey all if ya want a Quick easy Biscuit try this

sift & put in Mini chopper or you can use fork
2c flour
21/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt (opt)
1 Tbs Sugar
Blend in
1/2 c butter till crumbled
add 1 1/4 Milk
Opt
1 c Shredded Cheese of your choice
1 t ea Basil , minced onion,
Drop By TBS On cookie sheet Bake @ 425* for about
25 Mins or till brown to your liking :)

I made them this morning MMMMM good
I crumble my flour & Butter in my Nija pour into mixing bowl & add my Milk , Cheese , & so on . you don't have to add anything more to them & They are great for strawberry shortcake witch I will have later :) for I made some plane also.

well have a great day off to play with new toys I got today in the mail from Kris :)))

the big round flower to be that I Made :) waiting for it to dry completely :) before i paint it . quess you can tell what I got from kris today :)

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

Susie, those are awesome gifts from Kris!

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Susie, love your stuff from Kris. Stay warm!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I saw some sweet potato bread for sale at Priester's Pecans. Has anyone ever made it and have a good recipe to share?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Priester's has a lot of their recipes on the website. I don't see that one. They might give it to you if you ask though.

What is Priester's? Is it a store?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes.

http://www.priesters.com/

Oh my, those goodies look good. We don't have that store down here.

Ocean Springs, MS

I always stop at Priester's when I travel through AL on my way to TN. Just want to buy everything! :)

Susie, love your things from Kris! And love the way you arranged it. Might have to do a small sand garden with some of the things she sent me, plus I have lots of seashells! A little tillandsia would look cute in it! And your biscuit recipe sounds so good!

Just stopping by to say hello & hope ya all stay warm :).
& be well

Morning everyone!

Ocean Springs, MS

Hey, everyone! Keeping warm here! :)

same here door is frozen shut :) wishing u all a great weekend .

Julie has the interest thread for a rose swap open.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1384505/

Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks, Linda Kay!

Susie, we hit 70 degrees today! Crazy weather!

-7.8*F here & maybe a high of 16* so cold cold here had to turn up the heat :) Have to go out to wal-mart & pick up more yarn need 2 more skeins to finish off the blanket .
ya all stay warm & be well

Linda has the PJ swap open.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1384534/

Ocean Springs, MS

Susie, you stay warm. Our "heat wave" ended today. Temps falling into 30's tonight. :(

Starting to pack for my trip to TN. So ready for a break. Things are really tense around here. Keith and Destiny having a disagreement. Just staying in my room! Some things are really going to change around here soon because I have had enough! Sorry, I'm venting!

Anyone have some really warm crock pot recipes for a cold day?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Crock Pot Mushroom Pork with Apples

2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed golden mushroom soup
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme
8 boneless pork chops, about 3/4 " thick each
4 large Granny Smith apples, sliced
2 large onions, sliced
Directions:
Place pork, apples and onions in the crock pot.
Mix together soup, water, sugar, Worcestershire and thyme and pour over the meat. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 9 hours or until done.

Ocean Springs, MS

Cville, my family never cooked with apples for main dishes. I remember the first time I ever had apples in a main dish. We were visiting my in-laws in North Carolina and she cooked - what I thought - was pork chops with scalloped potatoes. What a surprise I got when I took my first bite and it was pork chops with scalloped apples! It was good... just not what I was expecting! LOL

Your recipe sounds good! I'll have to run it by the family to see if they are willing to try it! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.