Christmas Treat Recipe Exchange: YUMMY!

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

so sorry i posted this on the wrong thread please forgive me .

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

LOL..... Susie, they will make nice Fairy tables :-)

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Glad to hear you got your oven fixed. Amazing what we can do when we have too!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I accident found this thread. I wish I had seen it before. LK, you always give a heads up and if you did this time I missed it. But to tell the truth, I've been doing some fairly hi skimming over these threads lately. Need to pay more attention. Anyway, this is a great idea.
The Mexican wedding cookies sound a lot like what I call sand tarts, except for the almond . I will get back on this later, but just wanted to check in. LK, have I missed anything else????

So sorry Crystal. I did not post this thread.
No i don't think there is anything new.

Ocean Springs, MS

Crystal, give us a good recipe! So glad you found us!

LK, yes, my oven is working better than before. Takes less time to heat up and that saves electricity. I want to try the wedding cookies, but I am going to substitute toasted almonds for the pecans. I love them!

My kids are making a list a mile long of things to make and bake. So far they have chex mix, chocolate-chocolate cheesecake, white chocolate oreos, chocolate covered pretzels, Moma wants coconut cake, gingerbread and sugar cookies, peanut butter fudge... and I'm sure the list will get longer! LOL
Might try some oreo balls: crushed oreos mixed with cream cheese and dipped in chocolate!
I want fruitcake cookies. OMG! I'm going to gain 10 pounds! LOL

I love fruitcake. Anyone have a good recipe?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Light or dark? I like this one:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/White-Fruit-Cake/

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Is this the white fruit cake you mentioned on another thread? I never heard of white fruitcake

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

I have another Fruit cake recipe that I will post later. My mom used to make it every year it is always a big hit. I will be back to post it when I have time later. Busy day today so I must fly!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I checked ingredients and verified that Mexican Wedding cookies are exactly the same as Sand Tarts, a recipe listed in the The Auburn Cookbook (1969) a publication of the Auburn University Extension Service. This is a good old cookbook that lists how to do all kinds of ordinary cooking as well as a few exotics. but back then we did not rely on premade and mixes nearly as much as now. More just single ingredients. It's a good old southern cookbook. My mother gave it to me when I married. Also when we applied for a marriage license they gave a gift bag with some cleaning supplies and some books , one og which was the Ball Canning book. It has all sorts of info , like jelly recipes and canning info. I am sure this is not done anymore. Would probably be considered sexist, but everyone needs to know how to cook and clean.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Speaking of old recipes, this is one I found in Mother's recipes. The lunchroom ladies at school used to make these regularly at a time when they actually cooked the food. I remember loving these and wondered if any of you remember such favorites from the school lunchroom. (I do remember once finding a cockle burr in my turnip greens. I am sure they used canned greens and it just accidentally got in.)

Honey Balls
1/4 C peanut butter
2 Tbs honey
1/4 C dried milk
Mix together and roll in cornflakes- it says it makes 6 balls.

They all sound good. Thanks for posting.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

What I remember from the school lunches was the no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies. You know the ones I mean, sugar, butter and coco boiled with peanut butter and oatmeal added after it's boiled and dropped onto wax paper.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from Cville_Gardener :
Light or dark? I like this one:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/White-Fruit-Cake/

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Yeah, I know those boiled cookies.

That link didn't work, Cville

Crystal I have never heard of Sand Tarts, maybe the name is regional? Mexican Wedding cakes in some parts of the country, Sand Tarts in others. Whatever you call em they are yummy! It's funny how names change but the food is still the same. lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I think that's what Paula Deen calls them, Sand Tarts. So does Martha Stewart. They are definitely popular in the South. Apparently named because of their resemblance to a Sand Dollar.

Ocean Springs, MS

The two main things I remember about school lunch recipes was bavarian cream (kind of like pudding but i have never found a recipe similar to it) and orange-glazed cake. it was a white cake with a clear orange glaze. have tried to re-create it with no luck. These were home made by the lunch ladies, so I'm sure they were family recipes. wish i could find them!

I love fruit cake, but I don't make it anymore. I do make the fruitcake cookies sometimes. I prefer the white fruitcake.

I'm placing this link on the Christmas swap thread so we can continue to chat here!

gm all I Like Fruitcake also But anymore all the Candies are so exspensive to buy all at one time if i was to by a pack a month I might be able to make it again :) or maybe I Should get my dehydrator back from my Niece & make my own :) she has had it for about 5yr now so she probable think it hers . if she hasn't sold it .
I had a recipe for a friendship cake it was so good & we shared with everyone but it took weeks or months & Had to add to it or stir everyday . got to be a hassel.

well great morning to go for a walk you all have a great day .

CvG Thanks for that info! I will have to look that up. If I call those cookies "Sand Tarts" my family is going to correct me, no doubt! lol

Ocean Springs, MS

Who wants some company? I want to run away from home! My oldest daughter told Elani that she was dirty from crawling on the floor. I told her to sweep and mop. She said, "I did the other night!" And I told her that when you have a little one on the floor, it needed to be done EVERY day! OMG! What is she going to do when the twins come and she has 3 to tend to? I did not raise her that way!
I'll get out for a while tomorrow after my nurse comes. Want to just get out of the house.
Might buy the stuff to make some goodies y'all have been posting! Might start with wedding cookies! :)

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
I know the Mexican Wedding Cookies as Sand Tarts, too. I've never heard anyone else refer to them as Sand Tarts until reading this post. Interesting to learn that this is the name they are called in the south. I got the recipe many years ago while at a school for the blind. They had a bunch of recipes they wanted to give away to someone, and I was happy to receive them. (Also got my Snickerdoodle recipe in that bunch of recipes.) My Sand Tart recipe just says to use vanilla extract, but using almond extract sounds interesting. Might have to give it a try.
Lots of other yummy sounding recipes, too. I'll have to drop by again some time to share a recipe, too.
Michelle

Ocean Springs, MS

Welcome, Michelle! Please come back and share a recipe with us! :)

Ocean Springs, MS

I am requesting prayers tonight... not for me, but for my uncle. He is missing. He is a 77-year-old recovering alcoholic, but has been sober for years. No one has seen or heard from him since Tuesday. The police went to his home and the door was wide open and his car is gone. The police said that the house was tidy and it didn't look like he'd been there for a while. Since he is a senior citizen, they are checking other leads, like his AA sponsor to see if he has been to meetings. If they don't have any news on him by 2:00 tomorrow afternoon, I have to file a missing persons report. We are not telling my mom or my aunt anything right now, and his children live in NC. So, they have called me to take care of things. I was once very close to him; we share the same birthday, which is December 17- Wednesday. I'll keep everyone updated. Please pray for his safety and well-being. Thank you! Julie ♥

Julie, i hope he is found quickly. Sending prayers.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Sounds like he might have left in a hurry. I will pray. I hope by now you have good news. I just read the post.

Sorry to hear about your Uncle, Julie. I hope everything turns out OK. Prayers for his safe return home.

Ocean Springs, MS

Didn't sleep well. Haven't heard anything. Thank you all for your prayers. ♥

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Praying for his protection and safe return.

I Had Pineapple left over one day so I found Pineapple cookies Recipe here @ this site I added a few Walnuts to mine also :) MMMMM

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/soft-pineapple-cookies/
easy & So good you cannot eat just one & They freeze well also :)

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chocolate-mint-thumbprints/84c09832-5f0e-4590-8416-83aea0e4e972?utm_source=facebook&niseg4=BettyCrocker&nichn4=facebook&nicam4=SocialMedia&nicreatID4=Post&utm_campaign=standard&utm_medium=Spredfast&utm_content=sf6081614&sf6081614=1

These look really good.

Chocolate-Mint Thumbprints cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
2 egg yolks
16 drops green food color
2 1/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
3 tablespoons whipping cream
3 tablespoons butter
18 thin rectangular crème de menthe chocolate candies, unwrapped, cut in half diagonally

Heat oven to 350°F.
Line cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper.
In large bowl, beat 1 cup butter and the powdered sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Beat in peppermint extract, egg yolks and food color until blended.
On low speed, beat in flour, baking powder and salt.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
Using end of handle of wooden spoon, press a deep well into center of each cookie.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set.

Reshape wells with end of handle of wooden spoon.
Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.
Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
In medium microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, cream and 3 tablespoons butter on High 1 minute, stirring frequently, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
Fill each well with about 1 teaspoon chocolate mixture; garnish with candy piece. Let stand about 1 hour until chocolate is set.

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Praying for your Uncle, his family and you Froggie.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I'll be watching this forum from now on. Wonderful recipes, My first cookbook was a Betty Crocker, early 60's edition. My sister had sent it to me right after I got married. I used to love to bake and you sure can tell it by the cookie pages that are stained up. I used to make snicker doodle cookies for my father-in-law, my MIL didn't like to bake. I haven't baked in so long. I was the one in this family with a sweet tooth. Keep the recipes coming and I'm going to look up some that were given to me years ago.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Need a quick fill in candy for a gift box? This is so simple I'm embarrassed to post it!

Chocolate Covered Cashews

Melting discs chocolate light or dark
Salted cashews

Melt the discs in the microwave. I did half a bag at a time melting for 2 minutes on 50% power, then stirring and back in at 30 second intervals until melted. Stir in as many nuts as you wish. Spoon into small cupcake wrappers. I put mine in the mini muffin tins till they set up. Smile and receive all your compliments.... ;0)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Joyce, now that sounds like something I could do

Joyce, that sounds easy to do, and so good too!

Great idea Joyce! Thanks for sharing!

Ocean Springs, MS

Thank god for good news! My uncle is fine. His cell phone is not working. He was at an AA meeting last night, and said that his door does not always shut properly and that's why it was open. I appreciate all your prayers. My cousin is getting him a new phone. God is good! ♥

Welcome to all who have joined us! My children have found a "coal" recipe! You make them just like rice krispie treats except you substitute crushed oreos for the rice krispies. Yes, it has been added to our list of goodies to make!

Have a good night. I'm watching my Saints play tonight! Wish us luck! ♥

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.