Christmas Treat Recipe Exchange: YUMMY!

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

That is wonderful news Julie! I am so glad he is safe. That is so scary to have someone missing. I am sure you are so relieved, maybe you can finally get some sleep tonight. Have a great evening!

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Praise God he is OK! Thanks for letting us know.

Kris, if your lurking, here is a site that has low carb cookie recipes.

http://www.diabeticconnect.com/diabetes-slideshows/37-10-great-low-carb-cookie-recipes

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I have been using a recipe found in a church fundraiser cookbook for a cookie very similar to your Mexican Wedding cakes or Sand Tarts. This one is called "Snowballs."

Mix thoroughly:

1 c soft butter
1/2 sugar (granulated)
1 3/4 c flour
2 t vanilla (I like even more)
2 c finely chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)

Form into 1" balls. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake 350 deg for about 15 minutes. Do not brown. Cool only until able to handle and roll in powdered sugar. Roll in sugar again when thoroughly cooled.
----------------
I use parchment paper (my lifesaver) rather than greasing the cookie sheet. The "balls" of dough I make are more like "bullets." They are higher than they are wide. They fall and spread a little while baking and the tall bullet-shaped pieces of dough up more rounded. Balls of dough would become slightly flat.

Rolling them in powdered sugar while they are still very warm melts the sugar slightly and makes the cookies sticky. Then when you roll them again when they are thoroughly cooled the new powdered sugar will stick.

Denise

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Another one, now that I got out the recipe box.

My grandmother would make this every Christmas in the 1960s. It came from a Pillsbury flour booklet--probably listing the winners of one of those Pillsbury bake-offs. It was called "Jamborees."

1 stick margarine
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 full cup sugar
2 eggs
2 T vanilla
1/2 t salt
3 c flour

Cream thoroughly margarine and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Add salt and flour in about 3 additions. Beat until well blended. Roll into balls or push through cookie press with star shape onto ungreased COLD cookie sheets. Put drained maraschino cherry piece or cinnamon hot in center of each cookie. Bake at 375 deg 10-12 minutes according to size.
--------------------

The original recipe may not have had quite so much vanilla--I may have increased the amount of my favorite flavor when I copied the recipe onto the recipe card. Also, I don't know if the maraschino cherry/cinnamon hot was in the original recipe, but that's what my grandmother would use. If you're feeling really generous you could put a whole HALF of a cherry on each cookie, but I cut them into about eighths. I think she might have alternately put a bit of jelly in the middle before baking. The jelly ends up being pleasantly chewy in the final cookie.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

I Made then today & Put a ROLO Candy in the center :) Brother Jim Really liked them :) & so did Zoey the stinker tried to take the plate out the door I caught her :)
got a question Now I Need something to Put the cookies a roll in my Xmas boxes I'm making up any Ideas? I Have about 4 types of cookies to add to the boxes.

well I Just got the Kitchen cleaned up so now off to lay back & Rest my Back :) GN all back in the morning .

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

Susie, try this method for shipping cookies.

http://www.wikihow.com/Mail-Cookies

Ocean Springs, MS

Susie, cookies look so good! Yummy!

My kids experiment using all kinds of candy when we make cookies! I've always set aside a day for us to do baking and candy making. The teenagers aren't into like they used to be, but I'm sure as they get older they will carry on the tradition. I make them help in spite of their "groans," and they usually enjoy it. The boys love eating more than baking and decorating. LOL
We're doing most of the baking next Tuesday. I'm making chex mix and peanut butter fudge Monday. Mom wants coconut cake; boys want chocolate cheesecake so making these Wednesday or Thursday (we're having our family gathering on the 26th when Colt and his family are here).
I'll have to post the coconut cake recipe...made from scratch and covered with the old-fashioned 7-minute frosting. Mom loves it because it is just like the bakeries made years ago! ♥

Happy Birthday Julie! I hope you take time for yourself today!

Thumbnail by taters55

Happy Birthday Julie
Thank you LK For the tip but I'm not going to ship these , these 2 boxes are just for my Neighbors but need to find some small cellophane bags for them sure i can fine some today when I go into wal-mart :)
wishing you all a great day .

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday Julie!!!! Hope it is great!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday, Julie. And many more to come. :)

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Happiest birthday wishes to you Froggie!

Happy Birthday Jullie!

Ocean Springs, MS

Thank you! Having a great day then dinner and cake with the kids! ♥

(Tracy) Lk Pan, FL(Zone 9a)

Happy birthday Julie!!!! Your uncle too. Glad to hear he's ok.

Ocean Springs, MS

Thank you all for the birthday wishes! Had a beautiful day... dinner and cake with the kids. Liam called me and said, "I wish I was in Mis-ippi with you!" Made me feel good yet made me feel sad for him! Oh, how I love that child! Have a great night! ♥

Ocean Springs, MS

Look at my little birthday babies!
Pic 1 is Caden and Liam
Pic 2 is Elani

Aren't they just precious! ♥

Thumbnail by froggies_girl Thumbnail by froggies_girl

Awe. Julie, they are so cute!

Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks, Linda Kay. Liam, the oldest one, is the one I raised for almost 2 years. It's almost like he is my son because I am so close to him. I do love Caden and Elani, but there will always be a special bond between me and Liam. ♥

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Truly adorable Julie.

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Just got a chance to stop by. Been busy baking and getting Christmas presents ready.
Julie, happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had a very special day :)
And, I too am thankful your uncle is safe. God is good.
I'm hoping to get some recipes posted later this weekend. Still much to get done, so I better go for now. But those chocolate covered cashews sound yummy :) Might have to try them some time!
Michelle

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Just checking in to say hi. Can't sleep. Wish I could. Got a busy day today.

Julie, those are such sweet pictures! Your babies are adorable!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

What blessings!

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

They are so sweet Julie. No wonder your heart melts just looking at them.....

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Happy late Birthday....keep on celebrating ;)

I took this to the master gardener Christmas party. There were only 7 of us that showed up but they consumed every bit of it so someone else likes it but me....lol

Here is a variation to an old recipe.
I only usually make 1/2, depending on the crowd.
1/2 block Velveeta cheese
Part of a can of the Rotel tomatoes ever as hot as you want
1/2 can of White Chicken Chili With Beans by Marie Callender's - this is also spicey
Then I add a little milk to thin it down a little to your own liking.
Nothing is low cal but if you like spicy this is excellent.

My hubby loves white chicken chili with beans can just heated up.

Well I Just baked up 2dz Grandma's Molasses Cookies this Morning took a couple over to Jim But they were all in bed yet so I Left them on his Desk I Hope zoey don't get up before him or they will be gone :( & I Have Brother De's Box packed & ready to go to the post office I just have to get the card in the box .
Ya all have a great weekend TGIF.
Great Pic Julie they are cute.

Ocean Springs, MS

Karen, I love your hair! Looks so good! I'm going to try something like that next spring.

Michelle, looking forward to your recipes!

Crystal, Annette, Carole, Barb, they are such blessings in my life. Every touch, hug, smile, minute with them is precious!

Joyce, thanks for the recipe. :)

Starting my baking tomorrow, Susie. Then I'll probably eat half of it before Christmas! LOL

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh Julie, that's not me, it's my DGD who is having the next birthday. That's what I do for my Avatar and for my profie picture on Facebook too. My photo is too scary these days.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL. I know what you mean. I agree ... her hair looks great. I'm thinking about shaving my head. Just kidding but I wish I could. The totally bald look is in these days ... even for women. :-)

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

This is actually an unusual photo for her, she had just gotten her hair done and so put on some make-up too. She is actually more the Elly Mae type. Loves to hunt & fish and raise her 4H animals.

Ocean Springs, MS

Karen, she sounds like my kind of girl. I'm a t-shirt, jeans, ponytail girl. Hardly ever wear make-up anymore. I'm home most of the time, so I make myself comfortable!

No baking today, Had other things on my mind. Got to get busy, though. I do have all the presents wrapped and my shopping finished! :)

Getting some dinner then relaxing for the evening. Have a good night! ♥

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm sorry I missed wishing you a happy birthday on your special day, Julie!

So better late than never! Happy Birthday!

Waiting on the Coconut Cake recipe!

Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks, joycet! Oh, my, better get the coconut cake posted! :) I'll post it around noon after I finish the other things! :)

Making chex mix today, oreo truffles, and lumps of coal. More rain on the way, so not making any candy today! Tomorrow, we make cookies. Wednesday- cakes. House will smell good! LOL
My mom has informed me that she wants me to make not 1, but 2 red velvet cakes! She just tells me without even considering what I'm already doing. Thank goodness, my daughters want to learn how to bake, so they will be helping me. They are getting their first lesson in "professional" cake frosting this week! No crumbs! LOL

Have fun cooking Julie!

Ocean Springs, MS

OMG! Forgot to post the recipe this morning because I was so busy making candy!

COCONUT CAKE WITH SEVEN-MINUTE FROSTING

1 box white cake mix (taking a shortcut here)
3 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
1 cup cream of coconut
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
1 tsp. coconut extract
1 bag flaked sweetened coconut

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8 or 9-inch round pans.

2. Combine the cake mix, eggs, oil, cream of coconut, sour cream, and extract. Mix well for 4 minutes. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.

3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. Let cake cool then frost with Seven Minute Frosting. Top with flaked coconut (I also put coconut on the sides and between the layers).

SEVEN MINUTE FROSTING (use a stand mixer if you have one)

1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
4 egg whites, room temperature
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. coconut extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a heavy saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 242 degrees F (firm-ball stage).

2. While the sugar water is cooking, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl until foamy. (I mix mine until soft peaks begin to form).

3. Slowly pour in hot sugar mixture (you must do this slowly or you will "cook" the egg whites). Continue to beat on high for 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.

4. Add extracts and continue mixing until frosting reaches desired consistency, about 2 minutes.

5. I frost the top of the bottom layer first. Then I put the top layer on and spoon the frosting around the edges of the top layer and let it run down, smoothing it out as I go around the cake. Finally, I frost the top of the cake. Cover top with coconut. (If you want to cover the sides, I wear surgical gloves, pick up a handful of coconut and start pressing it into the sides.)

6. The frosting will set up as it cools so add coconut before it cools! Have fun!

Now, here are my little Christmas elves! Caden and Elani are not happy! And the look on Liam's face is priceless! LOL ♥♥♥

This message was edited Dec 22, 2014 7:02 PM

Thumbnail by froggies_girl Thumbnail by froggies_girl

Oh, that cake sounds good.

I love those pictures! Wonder why so many little ones are scared to death of Santa?

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

He's big, has a deep voice. big beard, and a stranger.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm enjoying all these wonderful recipes; keep them coming!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.