Christmas Treat Recipe Exchange: YUMMY!

Ocean Springs, MS

Linda Kay, Elani was scared! A few weeks ago, i was playing with her and made my voice deep like Santa's saying, "Ho. Ho. Ho. Merry Christmas!" And she cried! I felt so bad, but it was funny, too! LOL

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

My Grand kids were all the same way. They watch him on tv in the Christmas specials, but when it came t time to go see him for pictures, they all freaked out.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Gm That Cake sounds wonderful got a call from My Niece in san Antonio Last Night she called to say she got the box & It was the best christmas Present of all it made her think of grandmas Kitchen where she grew up with us :) & That was My best christmas Presy just Known she enjoyed the box :)
Guess that dose Prove that homemade or handmade is more precious then store bought LIFE IS Good :).
off to send her the recipe for my Oatmeal cookies :) & sour cream she wants both :).
will be back later with the recipes for you also :)

Oh Susie, that is great news! Glad to hear she enjoyed your box!

How are you feeling?

I'm doing well Still sore but i can lay up & still use my lap top.

Here are 2 of what I Sent her :) have a great day & enjoy :)

Oatmeal Cookies

Sift Together set aside
1 1/2 C Flour
1 t Baking Powder
1 t Cinnamon

Cream Together
1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C. crisco
1/2 C. W Sugar
1/2 C. Br Sugar
2 Lg Eggs
1 t Vanilla
2 TBS Vinger

Mix dry into batter till blended then add
3 C Oatmeal
1/2 C ea Chopped Peacan,Walnuts, Raisins,Chocolate Chips,Shredded Coconut, Mix well .

Drop By TBS / t Pending how big you want On Cookie sheet Lined
with Parchment paper or wax paper Bake 350* for 10-12 mins
or till light brown on bottom .

Soft Sour Cream Cookies

1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in the egg, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt;
add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour.
Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets.
Bake at 425° for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

I cheat & use store bought frosting

Thumbnail by deejay9
Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Mmmm love oatmeal cookies...just tell myself they are healthy. LOL

Susie, those sound so good!

Ocean Springs, MS

Posting my Aunt's Red Velvet Cake Recipe later. It is one that she has perfected over the years. She used to sell them for $40 each, but this year her health kept her from making them. So, I'm making one for her family. BBL

Wow! That is a nice price for a cake!

Ocean Springs, MS

Last year, she sold 10 for Thanksgiving! Her cakes are like nothing you can get from a box, store, or bakery. I'm so excited to finally get her recipe! I'm also starting to gather family recipes to put together for a cookbook. Wish I had some of my grandmother's recipes, but she measured everything by hand. I had one of her recipes, Carrot Cake (written down by her), but I lost it to Katrina. Granny made "lightbread biscuits" AKA angel biscuits, but I have yet to come anywhere close to hers in texture or taste. I actually think she used lard instead of butter or shortening. That might be the key!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

My mom gave me a recipe for Angel Biscuits. Calls for Flour, baking powder, yeast, salt, warm water, sugar, buttermilk, & shortening. I remember them being wonderful light & fluffy.

Ocean Springs, MS

Please share the recipe, Karen! :)

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Angel Biscuits
2 1/2 cup flour 1 tsp. baking powder 1 tsp. salt 1.4 cup warm water

1/4 cup sugar 1 cup buttermilk 1/2 cup shortening 1 pkg. dry yeast
Dissolve yeast in warm water and let set. Cut shortening into dry ingredients until fine. Add yeast & buttermilk. Stir until well mixed.* Turn out on floured board, knead. Roll out, cut with biscuit cutter. let rise. bake for 12 -25 mins. at 400 degrees.

For wheat biscuits, substitute 1 cup wheat flour for 1 cup white. * After mixed, can be kept covered in fridge for up to 3 days.

This message was edited Dec 25, 2014 8:37 AM

Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks so much, Karen! I will try them! :)

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hey Pegi, what is your picture? Is that you?

Happy Christmas Eve! In about 5 minutes I am out the door to pick up some food stuff and scurry back home to finish getting ready. I wanna beat the crowds a little.

I found me some shirts from Kohl's the other day for 6.00 and 30% off and I really like them...now that is strange. So I am going to try a different store and see if they have any more.

Well just wanted to say HI! to you all.

Joyce, that is Karen's Granddaughter. She post her Grand-kids as their Birthday is coming up next.

Sounds like everyone is getting last details ready for Christmas!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Thumbnail by taters55
Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Karen, the Angel Biscuit recipe sounds interesting. But the ingredients list baking powder, not yeast. Please clarify.
Sorry, still planning to get recipes posted... but things got busy again. Hope to get some recipes posted soon!
Michelle

Ocean Springs, MS

Merry Christmas to all my DG family! I love you all. ♥

Thumbnail by froggies_girl Thumbnail by froggies_girl
Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh crud, I fixed it the recipe actually has both.

Merry christmas ev1 Going to be a Quiet day here watching christmas Movies :) a few calls to family & friends far away :)

May you all enjoy a fun day with family & friends :) BBL

Merry Christmas everyone!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Merry Christmas ! Hope your day was wonderful!

Here is a recipe you all might want to try it is easy fast and so far I can't find anyone who doesn't wolf it down including my awful picky eaters my step-son and my granddaughter! They are horrible picky. Only problem with this recipe it doesn't leftover well at all.

Now this makes a huge ring but could adjust the size with the number of croissants you use.

Taco Ring
1 1/2 lb lean (90%) ground beef
1 pkg (1-1.25 ounces) taco seasoning mix
1 3/4 cups (7 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese (I probably use more but we love cheese)
(1 can refried beans optional)
2 pkg (8 oz each) refrigerated crescent rolls

Optional condiments: salsa, shredded lettuce, chopped onion and tomato, sliced olives and sour cream, whatever you like on a taco

Directions
Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook ground beef in (10-in.) Skillet over medium heat breaking beef into crumbles; drain.
Stir in taco seasoning mix, according to package directions
(I add a can of refried beans because we like it in the hamburger mixture but you do not have to in fact the true recipe doesn't call for it).
Unroll crescent dough; separate into 16 triangles. Arrange triangles, slightly overlapping, in a circle on Large Round pizza stone ends 4-in. from edge of baking stone. (Points will extend off the edge of the baking stone.) Roll wide ends of dough toward center to create a 5-in. opening.
scoop filling evenly over dough in a continuous circle. ( I don't scoop I just spoon it all over)
sprinkle the cheese over the top of the hamburger meat.
Bring points of triangles up over filling and tuck under dough at center to form a ring. (Some Filling will show. I don't tuck either I just flop the ends over until they cover the meat)
Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. I always check the bottom of the crescent rolls to make sure they are done! Hamburger is already cooked so you are just cooking the rolls. But you need to be careful the bottom of the roll is done.

Some people once the ring is cooked fill the center with condiments, I don't because I don't like soggy bread. I set the condiments separate then everyone can add what they want.
It is so easy but very very impressive looking...lol

This recipe is all over the internet and even a you-tube video. You all have probably already done this but sure is good. Would be great for New Years.

As condiments, because we like it:
salsa
guacamole
sour cream
sour cream spicey dip
lettuce
tomatoes
or what ever

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

That sounds yummy.

Ocean Springs, MS

Love the recipe, Joyce! My kids love crescent rolls, but I don't. Have to try one with crescent rolls and one with pizza dough! :)

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas! I am exhausted. I have been going full speed all week. Things got a little tense between me and my mom Wednesday, and I still haven't gotten over it. Seems like no matter how much I do for her, she just expects more. And I feel unappreciated. I'll work through it, though.

Spent a beautiful day with all the kids yesterday! Lots of laughter fun, and love! ♥

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

There's always folks, that no matter what you do it isn't enough. You have to just shrug it off and go on because you aren't going to please them...ever.

Ocean Springs, MS

thank you, Karen! I've spent my entire life trying to please my mom (middle child syndrome?). I need to set boundaries, but it's hard when it's your parent!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

It is indeed, I'm oldest but always odd man out. Middle dads favorite and youngest was moms. Dad didn't see me until I was 3 because of WWII. It just never seemed to work up to the time they died. I was always there but not seen.

well after 3 boys I was the 1st girl ya think I would have been spoild but not so except by my grandma whom i was named after then she died when i was about 5-6 so i trully didn't get to know her they lived in Big Spring tx I Still have a aunte there .
I think at a young age we all feel unloved our parents was to busy working to pay bills , Don't ya feel we also carry on those traits now , & many of the young feel the same ,

I never had any children of my own but i have watched how some families
treat their kids some good & Many not so good. Here is Hoping that 2015
will bring many more families together :)
wish ya all a great day :)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I always feel so bad when I hear things like this. I never had a day in my life that I didn't feel loved and special by my parents. I hope I carried that on to my children as well.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

It wasn't just a feeling it was fact. I did know I was loved by my aunt and my grandmother. Aunt and I are still best friends. My grandmother passed just before I became a grandmother myself. I had her so long I just thought I always would. I had great grandparents until I was 22. Good genes.LOL

My one sister and I are very close and we made a vow to always tell our children, grands & greats the we loved them. I get much loving from all of them so all and all feel very lucky.

Our family Christmas yesterday was wonderful. My youngest daughter bought poppers ( they were various shapes fish, pirates, etc. that came with 6 small balls that they popped out when squeezed). It was pandemonium for a while amazingly all left with all the balls that came with their poppers.We had a wonderful dinner and all enjoyed their gifts.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

I never really knew that I was my dad's "favorite" until I was grown.My mother told me years after I married that he cried at my wedding. I didn't see him cry, because my back was to him. She told me he didn't even cry at his father's funeral. In fact I don't think she had ever seen him cry.
There were 4 of us kids, 2 boys and 2 girls. I was the 2nd child, my brother was the oldest. My dad worked at a full time job as a Electronics engineer and part time he did TV repair at home. We also had a working greenhouse and florist shop, so there was very little time for him to play with us. So I would spend time with him while he was working. If he was under the family car, I used to crawl under there with him. lol Or I would fetch tools for him. I was probably one of the few girls that knew the difference between a crescent wrench and a pair of vise-grips. I can not remember a time when he did not have some project going on. He could fix practically anything. So I have to credit my DIY abilities to him, it must be partly hereditary. I will say that I had a very interesting childhood. My mother is an talented artist, although my brother inherited the most of that talent, we all have some degree of natural ability. So we owe our parents a great debt of thanks, for the talents we possess.
My dad has been gone for 20 years and I still miss him every day, I guess that will never change, but I am thankful for the years I had with him. And thankful that I still have my mom, at 80+ and still going, although not quite as strong as she used to.
But I do understand how stressful family relationships can be, ours has not always been perfect, nobody's is. Over the years I have been able to remember the best, and put the worst behind me, for the most part. When you have strong personalities (and we all did) there are bound to be clashes. As children we fought with each other, but when it came to someone else,picking on one of us, they had to deal with the with the others, too. lol

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

I always had a big family around, so it would have been hard not to feel loved by somebody. lol I have an aunt that I spent a lot of time with while growing up. She thinks of us as her own. There was plenty of love, and still is. Even though a lot of them are no loner with us. we can still feel their love, it flows through us to our own children and grandchildren.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes, Happgarden that picture is me, don't know how old I was there. Picture came out sideways and haven't figured out how to change it right.

Going to have to go through all the recipes and pick out the ones I would like to try........someday.

Had an enjoyable Christmas, lots of laughs with my siblings and their families. I'm glad the year is coming to an end since it wasn't a good one for me. Wishing all a Blessed, safe and healthy 2015.

pegi if you contact the adminastration they can turn the pic around for you
& They would be happy to help you :)

well i need to get ready to go to town 2 drs apt today so BBL

Pegi I LOVE the picture.

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Stopping by for a quick hello, and to post a link to a recipe. I downloaded this Oatmeal Shortbread recipe from the web after hearing it on the radio several years ago, and finally got around to making it. I love it! Really should have made it a long time ago :) Hope you enjoy it, too!
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2010/11/30/narsai-david-recipe-oatmeal-shortbread/
Michelle

Ocean Springs, MS

Happy New Year's Eve!

Been so sick from the new medicine I'm on. Very busy with the children and grandchildren, cleaning, organizing, doctor visits. Looking forward to some normalcy next week! LOL

I was my Dad's favorite; didn't realize it until later in life, but I remember now how much time I actually spent with him! He influenced me so much with music he played. I love the Beach Boys and have seen them twice in concert! He would listen to the Top 40 countdown with me when I was a teenager, and many times he laughed at me when "my song" did not get #1. I never talked back to Daddy until I was 30 years old. I was going through my first divorce and had become very opinionated. He said something and I went off. The next time he came to visit, he brought me a "mood ring." He laughed and said he wanted to see what kind of mood I was in before he stayed! I wore that ring (green finger and all) until it fell apart! LOL

Staying in tonight. Cold and I just don't have the energy to do anything! Watching Twilight Zone on SciFi.

So, what kind of recipes are y'all making to celebrate New Year's? Being from the South, we have the superstitions and have black-eye peas, some kind of pork (ham or loin), cabbage or turnips, and cornbread. Does anyone fix a special dessert for New year's?

Wishing everyone a safe and Happy New Year! ♥

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

So glad you are feeling better Julie. Tomorrow we are roasting a bacon wrapped maple glazed pork loin and I will add sauerkraut to the pan at the last. We will either do Texas caviar or a black eyed pea dip. I have been wanting to try that bread that is floating around Facebook. The one you cut a grid in and douse with garlic, butter, and cheese. I might throw it together tonight. Friends are bringing other snacks.
I really want to make my Guiness cupcakes with Baileys buttercream, but I might just throw together a good chocolate cake and use the frosting. It's an easy throw together recipe that is pretty tasty. I have a pear apple cranberry crumble in the fridge that is light but oh so tasty if we over do.
My cinnamon roll dough is resting the the fridge right now. After we milk and feed baby goats, I will probably make a pan for the morning. If not I will do it first thing in the morning. Haven't done them in a while, they should be a treat.

Ocean Springs, MS

Wish I was coming to your house! Sounds really good! Yummy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.