Christmas Treat Recipe Exchange: YUMMY!

Ocean Springs, MS

Happy December! Christmas is approaching fast, and I know we will all be making sweet treats! Please post your favorite or unique Christmas sweet treat recipe! Candy, cookies, pies, OH MY!

Let's have fun sharing and post a picture if you want! Excited to see what goodies I can try! :)

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks Julie!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

The Hickry Pit was a very popular BBQ restaurant in the Western Kentucky area. They were actually invited to the White House to prepare and serve their BBQ and all the fixins. Here's their cheesecake recipe:

Hazel's Cheesecake:

3 well beaten eggs
2-8 oz. packages of cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp almond or rum extract
3 cups dairy sour cream

1 recipe graham cracker crust

Filling:
Combine eggs, cream cheese, sugar, salt and extracts. Beat until smooth.
Blend in sour cream and pour into crust. Top with the reserved graham cracker crumbs.
Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until just set.
Cool and chill for 4-5 hours.

Crust:
Combine 1 and 3/4 cups fine graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine. Reserve 3 tbsp for garnishing top of cheesecake. Press remainder in bottom and 2 &1/2 inches up the sides of a 9-inch spring form pan.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

My package went out Saturday.....just in the nick of time. I thought the po stayed open until 12 nope 10:30, I walked in at 10:29....felt bad I know I always hated to stay over when it was time to go home, hate doing that to someone else.

Cheesecake sounds wonderful!!! wow

Froggie, I have been doing genealogy for some time now, over 20 years. I have so much fun going back into history. I am a real stickler tho, I want three pieces of evidence that this person belongs to my family. Sadly not all researchers are so demanding and it is easy to get something wrong. I have also learned family stories...lol...are just usually that stories...lol might be some truth in them but we need to tread softly on stories. Love the picture, isn't it amazing. Internet has made it easier to research but there is so MUCH bad information also.

Snickerdoodles
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose or unbleached flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Heat oven to 400ºF.
Mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, the butter, shortening and eggs in large bowl. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls.
Mix 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon.
Roll balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.

You can also sprinkle green or red sugar on for festive colors!

Pumpkin drop cookies

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
2 1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup raisins (optional)

Heat oven to 375º.
Grease cookie sheet.
Mix butter and sugars in large bowl with spoon.
Beat in eggs.
Stir in pumpkin.
Stir in remaining ingredients except raisins.
Fold in raisins.
Drop dough by tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set and golden.
Cool 1 to 2 minutes; remove
from cookie sheet to wire rack.

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies ....

Filling:
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Cakes

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground cloves
2 cups firmly packed dark-brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups pumpkin puree, chilled
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions

Make the cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat; set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves; set aside.
In another large bowl, beat eggs (I use my Hamilton Beach Stand Mixer on high) add in brown sugar,vanilla and oil slowly.. Add pumpkin puree slowly and beat for 2 minutes on high.. Sprinkle flour mixture slowly and blend until fully incorporated.

Drop mix onto prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. Bake until cookies are just starting to crack on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of each cookie comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely on pan.

Make the filling: Sift confectioners' sugar into a medium bowl; set aside.Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter 1 minute Add cream cheese slowly and continue beating another minute Add confectioners' sugar slowly and with vanilla, beat another 2 minutes.

Assemble the Whoopie Pies: Using a disposable pastry bag fill with cream cheese mixture. When cookies have cooled completely, pipe a large dollop of filling on the flat side of half of the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies, pressing down slightly so that the filling spreads to the edge of the cookies. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate cookies at least 30 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

Ocean Springs, MS

OMG! Look at all the yummy recipes being posted! Try this one:
No Bake Coconut Pecan Praline Cookies
Ingredients

2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups chopped pecans
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
Instructions

In a medium sized bowl, combine coconut and pecans; set aside.
In a heavy saucepan over medium high heat, stir sugar, evaporated milk, corn syrup and butter. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a full rolling boil -- let boil and stir for 3 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla and coconut and pecan mixture. Stir off the heat for about 4 minutes, until mixture starts to cool and thicken.
Drop by large spoonfuls on wax paper. Let harden completely -- about an hour to an hour and a half -- before serving.
Notes

Makes about 20 large cookies.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

This is a great cake I Found online one day tried it & Loved it if ya love Berries :))) I Liked the added Berries to mine :)

Triple Berry Lemon Cake

1 cup butter (softened - that is 2 sticks)
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 Tbs lemon juice (divided)
zest of 1 lemon
2½ cups all purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
6 oz. plain Greek yogurt
1½ cups frozen triple berries (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries - do not thaw) (you can add up to 1 more cup of berries)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 Tbs milk (as needed for glaze)
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Grease/butter and flour a 10 inch bundt cake pan
In a medium bowl, put 2¼ cup flour, baking soda, salt, and the lemon zest. Combine.
In another medium bowl, cream together the softened butter and 2 cups of sugar until fluffy
To the butter and sugar mixture beat in 1 egg at a time
Stir in 1 TBS of lemon juice to the butter/sugar/egg mixture
Alternate adding the flour with the yogurt to the creamed mixture, stirring to combine in between each addition (don't over stir)
Toss the berries in the remaining ¼ cup of flour to coat
Gently stir the berries into the cake batter throughout (my batter was very thick)
Pour the cake batter into bundt cake pan and evenly spread throughout the pan
Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees, put the cake in and bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Cool in the pan about 20 minutes on a cooling rack
After 20 minutes remove cake from the pan (this may take running a butter knife around the edges) and let cool completely on the rack
To make lemon glaze, in a small bowl pour your powdered sugar, add 2 TBS lemon juice and stir - as needed add milk to thin the glaze
Once cake is completely cooled drizzle glaze over the top of it and let the glaze run down the sides

Ocean Springs, MS

Y'all are making me hungry! :)

All I want for Christmas is THE JOY OF COOKING COOKBOOK dated 1980 something....lol

There is a decadent chocolate cake recipe that I used to make when I was in my 20's that is absolutely delicious.. Made with rich Hersheys cocoa and folding in beaten egg whites....the cocoa makes a wonderful pudding that the egg whites get folded into.... I used to make this cake every Christmas with a rich layer of chocolate buttercream icing for my co-workers and for my sweetheart + his family. aw... the memories....going to I have to write Santa a letter..... lol.....

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

I am with you , Julie! I am going to have to break down and bake something! lol.

Ocean Springs, MS

I want some of everything! LOL

Babette, check ebay for the cookbook!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

SPGardens, we gave our original, first printing edition of that book to my niece who desperately wanted it. We kept a newer version that one of our daughters gave her Dad. We didn't need two and it meant so much to my niece.

amazon has your cookbook. when ya find it let me know cake sounds yummy :)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have my first cookbooks ... The Pillsbury Family Cookbook (1973) and The Betty Crocker Cookbook (1975). Oldies but goodies ... like me! lol. My favorites are the ones my mother had that I now have ... Farm Journal Cookbook (1959) and Out Of Kentucky Kitchens (1944) with a preface by Duncan Hines.

We had lots of excellent Southern cooks in my family.

CvG, that's how it was in my family, too. Lots of good cooks! We ALL learned to cook at a very early age. My daughter was in the kitchen helping cook as soon as she could reach the counter on a step stool, lol. She loves to cook! She just doesn't have a lot of time for it, now that she is in Nursing School. But this month is her last semester, this week ...final exams, so hopefully we will all have more time to cook this Christmas.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm trying to remember the first thing I ever made. It was either fried chicken or sloppy joes.

How nice that your daughter is graduating from nursing school. That's a good career. Most medical jobs are always in demand.

People loved Mom's Divinity candy and her Bourbon Balls for the holidays. Although the Bourbon Balls were an easy, no-cook recipe, the divinity was tricky. She always got requests for that.

Ocean Springs, MS

I loved to cook when I had a houseful of 5 kids (and 2 stepchildren), but I don't care to cook at all now- except baking or holidays! Katrina must have wanted to cook because she took all my cookbooks! She only made mud pies, though! It's a good thing I can find some humor in all we lost. But my DG family sent me many cookbooks after Katrina hit! I was blessed!

We do have Christmas cooking and baking traditions. The kids and I put aside one day to make gingerbread houses, make and decorate cookies, and make candy. The love dipping oreos and pretzels. They love to put peanut butter between 2 pretzels and dip them. Another is homemade Caramel Pecan Turtles:
Using small pretzels, place a piece of caramel in middle (about half a caramel). Place on wax paper and microwave a few seconds until the caramel begins to melt. Remove from microwave and place a pecan into the caramel. Dip in chocolate when caramel has cooled.

Have a great day! ♥

Ocean Springs, MS

Carole, I always make divinity for my mom. It is tricky. I have to make it on a cool day with low humidity. By the time I get finished, I am so sweet and sticky that I don't even want to divinity! And I have burned up a lot of mixers over the years making it! LOL

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I know. Divinity is soooo sweet. Too sweet for my taste, but people back home seemed to love it. I can eat about a half a piece at a time. It does require being made on a day with lower humidity or it won't turn out right.

Baileys Irish cream fudge

BAILEY'S IRISH CREAM FUDGE
24 oz milk chocolate chips ( 2 - 12 oz. pkgs.)
12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
14 oz marshmallow cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 c bailey's Irish cream
4 & 1/2 c granulated sugar
12 oz sweetened condensed milk
1/2 lb butter or margarine

Directions Step-By-Step
In a very large bowl, combine the milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet chips, marshmallow cream, vanilla, and Bailey's Irish Cream. Set aside.
Line a 10 x 15" baking pan with foil. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
In a medium saucepan, combine granulated sugar, condensed milk, and butter. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Cook slowly and stir constantly for 10 minutes.
Pour the hot mixture into the bowl with the chips. Stir slowly by hand to combine. It is important to do this step by hand NOT with a mixer. Stir for approx. 2-3 minutes.
Pour fudge into greased pan and chill to set.

If you cut the fudge while in the pan, it will cut the foil also, so after it is cooled, place more foil on the counter, and flip the pan quickly, then peel off the foil. So much easier to work with.

Ocean Springs, MS

Oh, my, Linda Kay! Love that fudge! I might have to half the recipe this year. The kids prefer peanut butter fudge, so maybe I can make half chocolate and half peanut butter.

Mmmmm... Baileys Irish Cream Fudge.... "hick"

No bake oatmeal cookies.

1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (or chunky but is seems to make a more crumbly dry cookie)
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 -3 1/2 cups dry quick-cooking oats

Add the first four ingredients into a 4-quart sauce pan.
Bring to a rolling boil and hold for 1 minute.
Remove from heat.
Add peanut butter into the hot mixture and stir until melted.
Add vanilla.
Mix in the oats and drop by tablespoons onto wax paper.
Let cool until set.

The flavors in this cookie sound so delicious!

They are so good!

All the recipes on here look so good! I can't wait til I have time to try some of them! And I will get busy and dig out a few of my own to post here. Been so busy with the kids and the dogs that I haven't got to it yet.

Ocean Springs, MS

No baking for me today! My oven's bake element went out last night. It actually caught on fire! No other damage. Broiler and stovetop are working fine. Trying to find the right part to replace. I;m sure my cousin will help me.

Keep the recipes coming! :)

Shew! Having your element catch on fire is scary! Glad there was no other damage!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's so true!

Julie, some of these you don't need an oven!

Peanut butter balls
1 (16 oz) jar of smooth peanut butter (soy butter works just the same for nut allergy families)
1 (16 oz or 1 lb.) bag or box of confectioners powdered sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter, melted
2 bags of chocolate chips, Can be dark chocolate, milk chocolate, bitter sweet... your choice of flavors
Chopped nuts or heath bits are optional

Directions
Line cookie sheets with waxed paper.
In a mixing bowl stir together peanut butter and butter.
Gradually add powdered sugar, stirring until combined.
Shape into 1-inch balls; place on waxed paper.
Let stand until dry (about 20 minutes).
Place chocolate chips in a glass bowl, and microwave for a few minutes, stir, and repeat till soft to dip.
Cool slightly.
Dip balls, one at a time, into coating.
Let excess coating drip off peanut butter balls.
If using nuts or heath bits, dip bottom of peanut butter balls in nuts, then place on waxed paper.
Place on waxed paper; let stand until coating is firm.
You can also use white chocolate to drizzle over the top of the dark chocolate.
Store tightly covered in refrigerator or freezer.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chocolate-chip-reindeer-cookies/1d734d93-2250-4602-9487-8a23041867ed?nicam4=SocialMedia&nichn4=YouTube&niseg4=BettyCrocker&nicreatID4=Post

Look at these cute reindeer cookies, made with a gingerbread man cookie cutter.

Those are so cute!

Ocean Springs, MS

Linda Kay, got my oven fixed all by myself! I am very proud of my accomplishment! :)
Peanut butter balls sound good!

Kids were talking last night and we always get together one day just for making candy and cookies. Oh, and gingerbread houses! The boys are more into dipping than making! LOL
Anyway, they were making a list of what they wanted to make, and I finally told them that I would spend more money on ingredients than I would on groceries and gifts! They narrowed their list!

Well, I'm off to work on my Christmas wreath and an arrangement for Daddy's resting place. Can't believe it's been 10 years since he passed away on Christmas Eve, 2004. I miss him, but I'll celebrate his life rather than mourning. I always buy a rose for his memorial garden, so I have to look online. No roses in the store this time of year.

Have a good day! ♥

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Holidays are really tough for a lot of people due to the loss of loved ones. It's wonderful to remember to celebrate their lives and not just mourn their loss.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Not a baker other than pies but there are a few above I'd love to try..

Going to make a list and perhaps this coming weekend I can try them

Sad memories indeed
Loss my hubby on New Years Day many years ago, step father of almost a 1/2 century last Christmas and 2 very good friends first week of January..you are right, time to honor them by celebrating for they cannot.

These are a family tradition at Christmas and handed down through the years, and also my daughter's favorite

Mexican Wedding Cakes (Also know in the South, as "Sand Tarts")

Makes 4-5 dozen

1 Cup butter , soft
!/4 to 1/2 Cup Powdered sugar
!/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Vanilla or Almond extract
2 Cups All purpose flour
1 cup Chopped nuts ( I use pecans)

Mix butter with sugar until creamy, add salt and Vanilla. Mix in flour gradually, add nuts, mix well. Preheat oven to 350. Refrigerate dough until well chilled. Shape dough into balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes. While cookies are still warm , roll gently in powdered sugar until well covered.
Note: I have found it easier to put them in a paper bag and shake gently or just turn the bag to roll them over to cover with sugar, because they can be hard to handle when hot.

Edited to add another name as pointed out by goldhill

This message was edited Dec 14, 2014 11:14 AM

LK Think we had the same mothers :) those are ones we grew up with also
Yule Logs made up of Puffed wheat ,marshmellow, peanut butter, & chocolate tips :)
gotta share what My brother just brought up from the woods for me can hardly wait for them to dry out so i can play with them :)))
there are many larger & Smaller ones out in the wagon :)
my back is acting up today so got to lay down for an hour so will watch a movie .bbl

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.