Fairy Garden Swap: The Land(ing) of Fairies Revealed

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Susie ~ Love the hand! ... ...so pretty..

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Susie is that an actual garden glove? If it is, you have to share how you did that. ;)

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Susie, the hand planter just made my list of great ideas for things to make. I had to make a list I've found so many great ideas on Dave's Garden and I have too many projects I need to finish before starting anything new.

Updated pics of the "Fairy Castle". Getting some "tiers" in. I decided full stairs wouldn't leave enough room for plants so I'll make something similar to the wood rounds for the fairy stairs.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Looking really nice Dee....
Ric would have a fit if I brought any cement projects into the house, let alone into the bathroom tub.
I would never hear the end of it.... lol...
Are you going to apply a another cement coating to the exterior mesh to coat it?
And are you going to paint it?
It looks great~

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

DeeJay I made a hand but it wasn't pretty like yours it was scared everyone...rofl. We decided to use it at halloween!

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Susie, I have seen that glove before on Pinterest, I think they are filled with concrete, or plaster of paris?

Dee, I really like how your castle is coming along!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I have a long ways to go. I'm working from the top down and finish coating everything as I go. The outside will have a nice smooth-ish coat like the top of the turret has now. I'm doing one cup of cement at a time and painting it on with a 1" paint brush and a pallet knife. If I could just give it a couple hours I'd finish but . . . busy girl.

Lots to do Dee ~ and it will be gorgeous when completed....
Oh, are you still traveling up to Carson anytime soon? :-)

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

afternoon All Sure wish I could take the credit for the Glove but I Bought it this weekend at a yard sale It feels as it is filled with Cement .

well I tore out the carpet today for I Spilled a gal of paint it went everywhere SPLAT or is it SPLASH anyway a Mess .
so Brother Jim came to the rescue, I've been wanting to put down Tile or Lanolium ? to hot to think how to spell feels like 90's here in the house so I'm going to go up to the neighbors & Finish Cooking their super at their Place :)
Back later .

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Taking a six day road trip in about a week. We'll be staying in S.L.T. on Friday Sept. 5th. and then Carson City on the 6th. I can't wait to escape home, it's been so long.

Bummer about the paint, what a mess and paint isn't cheap anymore either, LOL. I have linoleum in my livingroom, being in the country it's easier to keep clean. It's not PC though and a lot of people don't like it because it isn't cool like tile. But it's a lot cheaper and a lot easier to keep clean. We need to replace ours soon, so I have to make the same choice, what to buy.

Dee ~ let me know where in SLT you will be staying at..... will be happy to meet you!

Warning for anyone on Facebook!

If anyone gets a private message from anyone that says they work for Facebook, and that you have won the lottery, don't believe it. Delete that person immediately, and report them! It is a SCAM!!!
I got a private message from a Mary Collins, and she said she worked for Facebook. Then she said I won part of a Facebook lottery with 20 other persons. I told her there is no such thing, and that I would report her, which I did! PLEASE DON'T FALL FOR THIS!

Ocean Springs, MS

DJ, love your ideas! Really need to figure out how to make one of the hands!

Dee, that castle looks grand! And I got my box from you today! Love it! Love it! Love it!
I love the fairy house front that you sent. Very beautiful...
OMG! Look at the plants. I don't know the names of all of them, but they are very pretty.Thank you for sending them in pots because I'm out of potting soil right now! Oops!
The miniature items include 2 cute fairies, three ladybugs, a frog with a lily pad, a pond with dragonflies, a birdbath with a little butterfly, and three columns with gazing balls!
Everything is absolutely gorgeous and thank you so very, very much!
I really do plan on getting a birdbath for the sunroom now and using your gifts to decorate it! Will the plants grow in filtered light or do they need full sun?
Dee. I am so grateful for your kindness and generosity! :-)

Thumbnail by froggies_girl Thumbnail by froggies_girl Thumbnail by froggies_girl Thumbnail by froggies_girl Thumbnail by froggies_girl

OH MY! Those are very nice!

Ocean Springs, MS

Yes, they are! Thanks again, Dee!

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION: pink fairies (pinkies)/unpartnered fairies (loners and or shadow fairies

TODAY'S QUESTION: A reliable sign that you have one of these solitary fairies in your garden wouldn't be a pot of gold, but his little red (or green) coat, and your neatly cobbled shoes. What kind of fairy is he?

Remember that I am choosing another winner tomorrow morning! Have fun searching and good luck!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sweet!!

WOW... really nice fairy gifts.... love em'!

Ocean Springs, MS

Ok, let me get this straight about the prizes...
SPgardens is offering a fairy house, 2 barista sets, and various mushroom sets
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9924177

I am offering the Strawberry Ball and one other thing (I'll post a pic when I finish)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9914071

Badcat is offering another prize
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9920968

Hope I have this right. Please let me know either way!

This message was edited Aug 25, 2014 7:55 PM

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Julie - I find the really little succulents do much better in the shade so I figure these have a good chance of making it inside. Far right bottom is crassula ovata "wavy jade", it's a slow grower but the leaves will stay the same size and it makes a good bonsai tree. Above that is sedum makinoi "ogon", next to that is various sempervivums. The one in the front that is a nice lime green is another sedum, it stays really low. The others are NOID but stay small.
Glad you liked your box.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Really nice fairy items and the plants are amazing. How exciting, now the fun part getting it all set up.

here is our crazy weather: hail
http://www.laketahoenews.net/2014/08/hail-storm-turns-south-shore-winter-white/

it was like winter in some area of Tahoe.
We had fun.... played Backgammon in the shed and listened to the hail on the metal roof....dink. dink. dink....
lol...

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

OMG, I'll have to pack my galoshes (had to look the spelling up on that one). I always forget the rest of the world gets weather. In winter here it's not unusual to see someone in shorts and winter boots. Reminds me of the last time we went up to Tahoe, I looked up the earliest it had snowed and planned our trip before that . . . and we got to experience the earliest recorded snow storm!

Ocean Springs, MS

Congrats to our second winner..... Taters55 (Linda Kay)! Pick your prize, LK!

I'm going to try to set it up before I leave for Tennessee Thursday evening. Need to get some potting soil. Hope you all have a good day! Julie

Thanks so much! Wow, this is awesome. Julie I would like your Strawberry Ball please.

(Tracy) Lk Pan, FL(Zone 9a)

Congrats LK! BTW, my msg filter on FB is set to strict. Unless it's a group msg that includes one of my friends, it gets auto trashed. Lots of parasites on FB. Norton and System Mechanic used on all my puters...knock on wood!

Dee, your castle is awesome! I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do stuff like that in the house! lol. Can't wait to see the final product. Lots of fun to see everybody's stuff. Some very creative ppl on here!

In other news...been crazy busy with projects. Built a huge potting bench and got everything moved over. Now to just get it organized! Reminds me of moving into a kitchen! Got everything made for my fairy swap box. Just waiting for 1 last thing and then it will be ready to ship. Got fall veggies going in and drip irrigation...lots to do. Well, back outside! TTYL

Congrats LK.... Julies planter is adorable.....

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Congrats Linda.

You all must be such good girls. It's the guest bath and I do remove it when we have guests.
I don't usually work inside with cement. But the project had kind of stalled and I thought if I put it inside maybe I'd finish it in the evenings. Besides, the washer/dryer already has two cement leaves on them to paint, LOL.
As for my husband, I let him brew beer in there one year and never again, it smelled awful.

Flo, I'd love to see a pic of the potting bench.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Congrats, LK. I love that strawberry ball, and I almost picked it myself. ;)

I'm trying to upload a pic but it comes through sideways for some reason. Will take me a few to figure this out...unless someone can tell me how!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Flo, scroll to the bottom of the page where it says choose a file. Your picture library should open. Choose a picture, click open then click send.

Sometimes pictures in the preview will be sideways, but when we click to open they will be correct!

I found that ok but the pic loads sideways. Took it with an android phone and I have a feeling that is the problem. I think I'll just go and take another one with the phone rotated the other way and see if that fixes it.

That did it! Stupid phone drives me nuts! Well, now I know. Anyway, here's the bench. Excuse the mess! However, this is probably the last time we'll see empty shelves! Have to finish staining the fence yet and cut off the top of a post. Will have to put a rail in front of the shelves so things stay in place too.

Thumbnail by FloGro

I really like that bench! It will make your potting much easier!

Thanks LK. It was made out of a bunch of scrap lumber so it's got some "character" flaws but otherwise I couldn't be happier with it. We'll put a sink in it eventually too.

Thanks for the pic tip too. That's good to know because I'm sure I'll forget which way to hold the darn thing! I'll load another one as an experiment.

Thumbnail by FloGro

Well, that one does not turn. But if you download them to to your computer, you can open the picture and turn it before you post it!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Very nice.
Be sure and paint that top really good, or better yet I covered mine with sheet metal. That way I can leave wet bottomed pots on it without it rotting the wood. My underneath section is enclosed (not a really good idea) and I have a wood rat that chewed his way in and now lives in there! Needless to say he startles me every time I open the cupboard. I'm in no rush to argue with him over who's cabinet it is. I'll probably open the door one day and have mounds of sticks fall out, LOL.

Thanks Dee. I tried to cover it with some aluminum flashing that I had but it ended up in a big fight (me and the flashing....DH ran for the hills!). Needless to say, flashing took a severe thrashing and is now in the recycle pile! lol. I covered it with some barn roof paint just to get something on it but I will have to do something else. I had a super cool stainless steel bench at my old house but that dang thing would weld my eyes shut when the sun hit it! It looked awesome but I couldn't go near the thing!

I know what you're saying about enclosing the bottom. I thought about it but decided against it for that very reason! I live on a lake that's off the beaten path and the critters here are downright mean! I ran clear around the house one time, screaming my head off because I thought I had just stepped on the longest snake I'd ever seen....turned out to be just an old brown hose DH threw off to the side! I had to take a pill and lay down to get over that one!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Grats Tater!!! :)

Ok so i was going to box up up my partners stuff..then it was like....JUST....MAKE.......1 ....MORE...THING. lol waiting for it to cool and hope to have it out tomorrow ;)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Congrats, LK!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.