Fairy Garden Swap: The Land(ing) of Fairies Revealed

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Did you get them all?

Ocean Springs, MS

Joycet, so glad you found us! :) Can't wait to see what you got!

Waiting on one thing to send out one of my boxes!

Thanks to all of you who are playing the game! My inbox was full this morning! :)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, Sissy. Got my second box yesterday!

Ocean Springs, MS

Hello, everyone! The game is becoming very popular! The answer to yesterday's question was the COTTINGLEY FAIRIES!

NEXT QUESTION: It seems likely that Dobby the house-elf in the "Harry Potter" books was based on these types of fairies. Name the type of fairy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone is having fun chatting, playing games, and making things. I have some errands tomorrow morning, so you may not hear from me until tomorrow afternoon. love, Julie

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

sissy, how many things were in the box

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Love the trivia questions. Some of them are hard to find answers too, but I love a challenge.

Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks, LK! I'm enjoying it, too! Trying to keep it on the lighter side, but some of the things I've come across are ... well... I'm too much of a lady to say it! LOL

Long day for me. Doctor's visit. Truck in the shop so it's good to go for my trip next week. Bought a new dresser for my bedroom and moved it in. Just trying to cool off and relax for a few minutes before I jump in the bath.

Bought some Sculpey clay today. Never used it before but I'm going to try to make a few things tomorrow. anyone got any tips for me?????

ANSWER TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTION: Hob. The Hob (a type of Brownie) is a type of faerie called a household spirit. There are domestic faeries in many traditions and as long as they are treated right (food left out for them and so on) they are helpful, doing odd jobs around the house, out of sight, and often at night. It seems likely that Dobby the house-elf in the "Harry Potter" books was based on these creatures.

NEW QUESTION: The wild Irish peasantry believe that dust raised on roads were caused by fairies on a journey. They would raise their hats to it and say WHAT????????????????

Happy Searching! love, Julie

(Tracy) Lk Pan, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh my gosh! I've been playing with Sculpey for the past few days and it is a blast! Nothing like our old school clay that we had to keep moist to keep it pliable. This stuff is oil based so it doesn't dry out until you bake it. I found some awesome tutorials on You Tube and played around with the marbling technique....super easy. I did discover that it works easier on parchment paper than wax paper. The wax paper tends to wrinkle up pretty easy and the texture transfers to the surface of the clay. I also found out that it sticks to my wood rolling pin so I started using a jar and it worked great.

Most people use a pasta roller but I don't have one of those....yet!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

When you use sculpty it works best if you don't make things too thick. Like if you make a fat toad stool you might hollow out the base so it's not so as thick.
Also, it says on the package not to use with wire (for support). I have used wire and although it can brown through the clay making the color uneven, I have never had anything really bad happen. Be aware that it is going to out of the oven really hot with wire in it.
You can also make things, like taller mushrooms in two pieces and then glue them together, this helps when the wet clay won't hold the weight of the top.
This last project I embedded one of those glass blobs in the clay before baking and it survived the bake just fine.
I know I've posted this one somewhere before, but this is one with wire in the stems.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Wow...those are cool! I was wondering about the wire. I seen a tutorial where one lady was using floral wire with no problems. I wondered about how a thicker gauge would react. Perhaps an old clothes hanger.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I used something less than a hanger but heavy enough to stay stiff. It must have been galvanized because it hasn't rusted and it's been in a potted plant for a couple of years.

Make sure you don't use any kitchen tools you use for baking. And it will dry out, if left unwrapped for too long.

http://www.polymerclaysuperstore.com/Polymer-Clay-for-Beginners_c_20.html

Scroll down a bit for cautions.

What cautions should I take when working with clay?

Casual clay hobbyists can safely bake the clay in their home ovens, taking care to properly ventilate. If you are baking frequently, some artists like to use a toaster oven. Clay should not be used with anything that will prepare or touch food. Cookie sheets can be lined with foil or cardstock/index cards during baking. If you use kitchen items or toys as clay tools, be sure that these do not return to food preparation use. Washing your hands frequently and before eating is a good precaution to take. Small children should be supervised-while polymer clay is certified as nontoxic, it should not be ingested. If you have concerns about the release of fumes during baking, you can bake clay in a sealed bag, like the Reynolds baking bags, or after baking, wash the inside of the oven with baking soda and water. Always supervise children with baking.
How should Polymer Clay be stored?

Polymer Clay should be stored in its original packaging and away from heat and sunlight. Do not leave the clay in your vehicle on a hot day or it may bake. Once the packaging has been opened, it is best to store it wrapped in wax paper in an airtight container. Do not store it in Tupperware or other food storage containers that you plan to use for food in the future. A recommended place for storing clay between use is in the refrigerator or freezer, dry and away from light.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Those mushrooms are fabulous! Did you use brown Sculpey?

Well, better late than never! I got two, count them two, fabulous boxes from Sis Kathy!

The first box came with a sweet note and an 8 piece wooden patio set! Is this not just adorable!?

My fairies are going to be so happy!

Thumbnail by joycet Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

The second box came with fun things, too!

I got two fairies. Fairy, Kristy, standing, and Fairy April, sitting. Then comes a two tiered fountain/birdbath. A throne that one of the critters has already claimed for his own. Then my favorite, a trio of raccoons!

Kathy, again, thank you so much for these wonderful fairy things. I can't wait to get it set up. Now that the corn is finished, I need to do the tomatoes, get my DH through surgery and then I should be able to play!

Thumbnail by joycet Thumbnail by joycet Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

He's so happy!

Thumbnail by joycet

Oh, I love those Joyce!

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Joyce ~ nice fairy items .... have fun with them...and praying for your husband
through his surgery....

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you!!

Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks for all the great ideas! Just made my first thing and have it baking!

Answer to yesterday's question: God speed you, gentlemen!

Joycet, your gifts are awesome! Love all the cute little things!

Has anyone heard from Rose 318? worried about her!

NEXT QUESTION: What can float in Fairyland????????????????

Have a dinner to attend. Will check back in later! love, Julie

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Joycet those are sooo cute!!! JKJ got the hook up!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

I can hook you up too BC

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

hey chatty people I Found ya Gee I wondered why no one was chatting Now i have allot to get caught up on Later today when i get home . BBL

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi Deejay, Bye Deejay

just got home but have to go back into town Dang I Forgot
My sealer for my fairy House :( just got the car unloaded .
I will try to get mine out within 2 wks :) .
BBL

fairy house?... Susie..post photos

Miniature mushrooms, new + "improved" blue, green, amber and blue pearl stepping stones
and a lilac mushroom....will also be available for the winner(s) to choose from....
closer photos will be uploaded later on today....

Thumbnail by SPGardens
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I was so happy I got the August swap out early....not happening on the fairy swap....I am still havving a tough time. but getting a little closer

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

very pretty babette

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

I know the feeling, Joyce! I have been struggling a bit myself. But we will git her done!

Love those mushrooms!

Susie has the September day lily swap open
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1372860/

LK - this mushroom?

Thumbnail by SPGardens
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

yes, that mushroom

this fantasy lilac mushroom has some gemstones + lichen glued to the top...
not sure if you can see them very well ... see here is a close-up.

Thumbnail by SPGardens
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

That is beautiful

Yes, that one and the little ones too!

Kathy has the the thoughts of you swap open.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1372872/

Babbette those are so pretty I'm still playing & When I get it right as to how I Would like it I Will share :)))
sorry I have to go right now but will be back later as soon as I Can

Ocean Springs, MS

OMG! I love ALL the mushrooms! What did you use as a base for them? I thought about cutting some bamboo skewers to use as bases for mine! I have to go back to the store for CLEAR E6000! I got white... wasn't paying attention because I thought it was all the same! Duh!

Need to check out the Thoughts of You swap! I'm up to my ears in Fairy things right now. LOL

Ok... I'm posting the answer to yesterday's question and drawing the first winner tomorrow morning. Remember you may choose a fairy house, the strawberry fairy ball, or one of the gifts from Badcat! Please remember that the winner is to pay postage so you will have to get with the proper person to pay postage. So, make sure you check in tomorrow morning for the winner.

Answer to yesterday's question: Gold... also pixie dust can make things float in Fairyland!

NEW QUESTION: ACCORDING TO Barrie's 1902 novel The Little White Bird, HOW DID FAIRIES BEGIN? I LIKE THIS QUESTION! ♥

Have fun! I'm going back to play in the clay! LOL

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Oh I love the big purple mushroom! I have no doubt if my friend with the gallery spots it she will have to have one! That is definately my next project, a big mushroom! Makes me think of Alice in Wonderland and the catapillar!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.