Fairy Garden Swap: Interest and Chat Part 2

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I have one I bought on ebay, a lion's face made from a stiff plastic. I have made several, the first a fairy house front made from one I made out of clay and then painted latex mold material on. It had a limited life span and I only got 6 fairy fronts from it. Same with the gnome home I did. I did a ginger bread house last winter, that was a real project but it came out well. Recently I made one of a large leaf using a rubber mold making material. It is supposed to last longer than the latex.

Ocean Springs, MS

Jayme, sorry I wasn't here to answer your questions, but I think the volunteers gave you some great answers! No, you do not have to "make" anything. You can send plants, decorations, stones/rocks, etc. I will try to pair partners according to their preferences/wants/needs. For example, I am starting a miniature garden in my sunroom. I would prefer miniature plants suitable for indoors, small rocks/stones, small decorations, etc. Hope this helps!

Setting up my sunroom and spa! having fun! Y'all have a great weekend! ♥

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Today we went to a festival in Marshall, mi. We walked around the stores and they had so many fairy garden items. And fairy gardens all put together. Really cute stuff. $$$$ is all I can say. Stores are really capitolizing on the trends now.

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

I thought about Elfie when I saw these ~
Have to give them a little touch up paint here an there.

Thumbnail by SPGardens
BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

These are just things I found around the house :) Going to decorate them

Thumbnail by badcat
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Badcat - Looks like you have the cement bug. Your photo remnds me of a couple of years ago I filled up a bunch of those plastic condiment cups and made pot "feet", I still use them.

I'll have to check out those links later, I'm off to Home Depot wiith my daughter who is going to build a rescue geese enclosure. I sure hope they are "nice" geese.

Ocean Springs, MS

OMG! More wonderful ideas! Loving all the good stuff being shared!

Atlantic Beach, VA

Mushrooms out of door pulls: http://beneaththerowantree.blogspot.com/2010/05/magical-little-mushrooms-painted-drawer.html

Now, I must try. :)

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I made some mushrooms out of fimo clay, oh at least 8 years ago, and they have really lasted, even outside in the sun. I wouldn't hesitate to make some fairy garden things from fimo.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Dee, maybe you need to do a tutorial on Fimo mushrooms for those of us who have never worked with it. :)

Ocean Springs, MS

Gotta have mushrooms! Dee, please tell us how to make them!
Will definitely use the door pull idea! Thanks for the great ideas!

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

That would be nice!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Joycett makes mushrooms alo.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Well then, somebody please share? I have seen them, but reall have no idea what the best way is to make them. I am interested to find out. :)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

All sorts of tutorials on you tube.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Here's a quick tutorial on how I did it.
Fimo is just clay you mold and then bake to make it hard. It's expensive so it's really only for small projects.
It's soft before you bake it so in order to make a mushroom they either need a fat bottom or a wire in the stem. Now the directions state "do not use wire" but being the rebel that I am I did.
The wire gets hot so you need EXTRA COOL TIME and your clay can scorch some so be aware your project may "brown" some.
I made 6 single mushrooms and this grouping with wires in them and they all look great.
The singles just have a straight wire coming out the bottom to "plant" them"
This one has been sitting in a houseplant for at least 8 years, the others are outside year round.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Dee ~ I absolutely love, love, love your mushrooms!
thanks for sharing....

Ohhhh,, my,,, I love those!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

This has got me thinking. I may have glued the caps on these. That would even make it possible to do this without the wire. If you make the stem and the cap separate and then glue them after baking.
You can also just make a wire "hole" in the stem by pressing a piece of wire up the stem and then removing it for baking. That way you have a hole to put the wire back in for planting.
Another good mushroom idea is to pour cement mushrooms in plastic Easter eggs, using copper refrigerator pipe as a stem. The pipe is flexible enough to make it interesting but stiff enough to hold the cement top in position. Using pipe as a base gives you something to put on a stake. I've even made huge mushrooms using pvc pipe as a stem. Cement sticks to pvc so you can paint it on so it matches the cap. Getting me to think is a dangerous thing.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

When will this swap actually be?

Julie said... I am hosting a fairy garden swap in August. Names will be given out the first of September.
So we have lots of time!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

So sign up will be in August, right?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

that's the way I understand it

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

So I was walking and found this piece of kinda curved concrete..... I carried it home from across town!! I cleaned it up.... added shells and stones with an adhesive..... this is how it looks. Then I put it in my front yard. Now it looks like this! I think it turned out kinda cute. And it basically was free. I got the shells at a garage sale, rocks at the dollar store the most expensive item was the adhesive.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Very cute, I really like that!

That is really cute! Could be a bridge!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Sounds good.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

good idea about a bridge...it is amazing what our mind will see.

love it Happ! And thank-you for recycling!

Very nice... very nice indeed.

I have been thinking and what I would like to do, an outside 'fairy' garden. I want to build a mini garden around this bear and the elf on his foot ;) The elf is about 4 inches long. I have some elf's about that size, but nothing else. Hope this works with who ever gets my name. If not I will make another garden to match what they are able to send, I am easy to get along with. lol

Thumbnail by happgarden

LOL... love that bear + elf!
The possibilities you can have designing your outside fairy garden...

Happ.. love your bear.. umm that is a gnome not an elf.. lol..

ah... the pointy ears.....

Hummm, sorry there Elfie you are so right, it is a gnome...LOL So I would like to do a "fairy gnome" garden...rofl.

Here hee

Ocean Springs, MS

Mushrooms! Concrete houses! So many great ideas!

Sign up will be in August. Is everyone ok with getting names mid-august and sending out by mid-September? Give me some ideas, please!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

It's fine with me

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.