Fairy Garden Swap: Interest and Chat Part 2

Atlantic Beach, VA

Froggy - Love the pictures.. So airy.

Babette - Definitely a fairy with something to say..or at least..a look that says something. :)

Mushroom garden in progress. :) I got a little glue happy with clumping some together although they seem to be more stable that way too.

Thumbnail by Moonjala Thumbnail by Moonjala
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Love your new sun room!

Those mushrooms are so pretty.

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Love those windows Julie! Will your Fairy garden be in the sun room?
I've been busy with gems and jewels. It' s a secret.....Shhhh . ....

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

oh secret! how exciting! love secrets....rofl.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Grats Julie!!! Finally done, looks amazing! No more ripping new ones for the foreman?!? What will you do!?! lol jk. So happy for ya :)

Sp you can tell me! Ill share the shine with ya

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Like I said before, Julie, I have "Spa Envy" It looks wonderful. I could do great things with a room like that! So happy for you.

Ocean Springs, MS

Thank you all! I've always wanted a sunroom, and now I finally have one!

Babette, my fairy garden is going in my sunroom. I plan to use this planter!

Thumbnail by froggies_girl

I like that planter, I can see stairs winding around the side going up to the next level...

very nice planter Julie :-)
oh ...yes, handmade stairs winding around ...
....each level with an interesting mystical garden feature....
Have fun designing your fairy garden.
p.s. Julie ~ I need your address..

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Good pot choice. Lots of fun spots to decorate.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Julie I did not kmow if you were automatically put names on the list or what. But I will no longer be able to participate. I am sorry about this. I will keep looking in on the swap and the thread. Thanks. Ronna.

Sorry to hear that Ronna!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I am so looking forward to this swap!

We will miss you gardenlady.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Yes we will. Pop in from time to time

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks I will

Ocean Springs, MS

Here is the link for the sign-up thread! Pass it on, please!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1370010/

Ocean Springs, MS

Ronna, I'm sorry you can't join us, but I understand. I'm having to pass on the daylily swap in September. Please continue to chat with us and offer ideas!

Yes, I will have to make stairs! Need to put my thinking cap on! LOL I'm also doing three of the pieces so that I can change pots out according to the season or holiday!

Finally started my Metamorphic rock castle on the stomp.
First layer of rocks in place with mortar.
Will continue tomorrow ...... getting anxious for the final result....

This message was edited Jul 27, 2014 4:13 PM

Thumbnail by SPGardens
Ocean Springs, MS

I'm excited to see it! Please help me with suggestions on how to make stairs! LOL

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Julie. Have a great week all.

Julie ~ search the internet (images) for fairy garden stairs for ideas....there are so many lovely designs......

Here's an idea
http://whimwhams.blogspot.com/2010/06/build-fairy-house.html

This message was edited Jul 27, 2014 4:52 PM

Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks for the ideas and for the link. I like the little wooden steps! Need to find some of those wooden craft rounds!

Wish I had a wood slicer.... I would make some for you.

Second layer of metamorphic rocks added...
and decided to make more stands for my stone fronts... thought to make some fronts with blue/green which softens the look...and then more draped towel houses. ... going to give a light spray paint when dry to give a rustic look...

Thumbnail by SPGardens Thumbnail by SPGardens Thumbnail by SPGardens
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Julie - What size would you like the rounds? I figure pretty small since your doing something for inside. I live in a California live Oak forest and have lots of branches. I also have a chop saw.
Maybe I could do some 1" rounds for us. I like them too.
Babette - I love the towel houses. I've been making towel planters to sell in my friends gallery so
I know how to do it. They'd make good "toad holes" too, LOL.
I've been making tufa leaves with a friend today, just had a great time and can't wait to unveil the leaves. I should use one of the big ones as a base for a fairy garden!

Here's my finished leaf stepping stone..... it has a layering of various green shades (hard to see in this pic) and now positioned in our backyard walkway.

What are tufa leaves?
Last year I took the largest leaf from a Mule Ears plant and placed some concrete mix on it.
Allowed the mix to dry thoroughly, turned the leaf upside down and removed the leaf from the concrete. It turned out great. Placed the stepping stone in the middle of one of the gardens.
Still there, but with extra ground cover and plants hiding it. will be making more .....

Dee ~ I will be making a nice over-sized gallon short towel planter most likely tomorrow or Wednesday. It will be made as a wedding gift....

Thumbnail by SPGardens
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Tufa is just a mix of 1/3 portland, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 vermiculite or perlite, add water to get a good wet dough consistancy. It makes a lighter mix than concrete. What we usually do is take the leaf and put it on a mound of sand, either just to get the wavy edges to look right or you can make a "bowl" out of your leaf. Then you go ahead and put the Tufa on the back of the leaf. You can add a hanging wire to the smaller ones since you're working on the back. I have a Gunnera plant that has huge leaves and we also did a couple EE's. Leaves with good veins work best, but big is always good.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Pretty leaf, you did a great leaf! I have been making ee leaves for a while, but I HATE ruining a big leaf for each casting. I did this one a couple of years ago. I painted and stained it.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Now that is one beautiful leaf! thanks for sharing Joyce.
Dee - I mixed perlite into the cement when I made the leaf mold last year.
And yes, it makes the leaf much lighter.
Now I have to search for more large leaves in the neighborhood. Last year I traveled to the other side of the lake for the large Mule Ears. Brought them home quickly, prepared the sand mound, cement mixture and poured it onto the back side of the leaf. Allowed to set for a few days, pealed off the leaf and then painted. Gave one to a friend as well. Just love the natural look!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Nice EE. The one I did today I made really flat so I can hang it.
Here is a pic of one of my Gunnera leaves, these are big, a good two foot wide.
They are fun garden art . . . maybe one of those snail riding fairies would look good sitting on this!

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Wow, you guys are really getting into the molding process. I love those leaves! Such creativity!

Ocean Springs, MS

Domehomedee, about 1" would be perfect! I'm going to try some of the leaf castings! Have done them before, but it has been a while. I want to do some smaller leaves for my indoor garden. I have a grape vine, some small EE's, and some maple leaves. I'll try them and show them off. Need to go shopping tomorrow, so I'll probably get the portland cement and other stuff then.

Ocean Springs, MS

Don't forget to sign up on this thread and list your preferences!

What is a life sized "Fairy garden" ? I am not familiar with that concept , please explain how that works. lol Is that for giant fairies?

Ocean Springs, MS

What I mean by "life-sized" is using "normal" sized decorations you might find in the garden section of Big Lots, Walmart, Lowes, etc. First picture is "life-sized...Second is miniature.

Thumbnail by froggies_girl Thumbnail by froggies_girl

Thanks Julie! I was just curious! And being a little silly. :) So we need to decide what scale our garden will take. OK, this could get interesting!

Fairy/gnome houses are dried - will be painting them today.
And then adding some accents, such as twigs, moss, etc.

Thumbnail by SPGardens
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok I have a question for newbie making a fairy terrarium . What is hold up best in materials for figurines and structures for terrariums? Is there a treatment need to be added too these Items? I don't want to buy something that will only rot away . I want something they can enjoy for years to come.
Patti

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Your towel house are very creative. Awesome job Babette

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.