Fairy Garden Swap: Interest and Chat Part 2

Ocean Springs, MS

We came form here! This is still for interest and chat! Sign ups will be end of July and mail out in early September!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1366066/

Good morning! I am hosting a fairy garden swap in August. Names will be given out the first of September. This is an interest thread for those of you who may want to join. This swap is for those of you who are "pro's" and for those of us who are beginners!

If you have a fairy garden, please post pictures, ideas, a list of plants you use, etc., that may help the beginners get started. For example, I am starting a fairy garden, but mine will be located in my sunroom. I was thinking of using a birdbath I have as the foundation for my garden! I will also be using miniature items in my fairy garden.

Those who are beginners may ask questions for advice and tips from the "pro's"!

Whether you are a beginner or a pro, you may start looking for items for the swap at local stores, yard sales, thrift shops, etc. I found a lot of things at my local thrift store yesterday! Some for me and some for the swap! LOL

When I post the swap thread, please make sure you specify if you are doing miniature or life-sized, indoor or outdoor, etc.

Have fun! Julie ♥

Interested Participants:
Froggiesgirl
Happgarden
Taters55
Joycet
Nanny23
C_Ville ??
Jokenna
Ahoogstra
Syrumani
Jordankittyjo
AliKat32
SPGardens
jxstiger ??
domehomedee
cheermom
rose318
dahtzu ??
moonjala
Badcat

This message was edited Jul 25, 2014 10:03 AM

I am here!!

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Just realized the picture #3 I found on the net is from Domdeldee's garden lol!!!

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

You mean #4?

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

nice photos Elfie..so many interesting ideas!

Its going to rain here today.... have to cover all of my projects....yikes!...

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm here! Holding my spot!!

Ocean Springs, MS

Elfie, I love everything you're posting! But too much info can be a dangerous thing! LOL

Elfie ~ keep posting! I have 90 lbs to work with! ....
making more stone fronts today..... as hoping it would rain... we really need it...

had a little visitor today that made my day. Her name is Mable, and is only 2 years old.... her mom stopped over to take a tour....Mable gave me more inspiration for my fairy garden!

Here's the grey rustic planter and beige stone mini front. The planter is heavy and will mostly have to have a base so it will not sink in the garden... the mini stone front can be worked around the base of the tree with mini plants around it...

Thumbnail by SPGardens
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Very nice spgardens. I just set my houses out. Really havent added all the extras yet. I do have some things. Should try to do better... lol.

Those turned out nice!

Glenview, IL

Omgosh! Can I still join this swap??
Be back with a photo or two....
Fingers crossed your not closed.

Hey Judy! Glad you joined us!

the more the merrier! ...

Happ,, sorry for over posting,,, going back to my corner,, very bad Elfie

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Elfie is never bad, you didn't over post on this Happ.

I love all the ideas and pics. You all are so talented with you all helping I figure I can even do it.Well maybe.

This will be fun.

Elfie good elfie..... passes Elfie some Baileys....

Ocean Springs, MS

Seedtosser1, you are welcome to join! We haven't really started the swap. Right now we are sharing ideas and chatting! Please post pics when you can!

SP, Mable is just the kind of inspiration we need sometimes... Through the eyes of a child! What better wisdom and fun!

Contractors are busting their butts to get my addition and sunroom finished. I will be very busy the next few days, so if I don't check in often, that's the reason why! But I know y'all can keep the chatter going without me! LOL

I hope your taking before and after pictures of your construction?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Froggie you are a very busy lady. I would love to have an addition to our house too. I am trying to put together a fairie house made out of stones really kinda difficult to do need to find an easier way!! Do not know what kind of mold to use for sure. What have other people used?? Love the look of the stone house. Have some shells also.

Gardenlady ~ I am making a few mini stone houses. I also posted a few photos and some info on the previous thread. Let me know if I can send you an Dmail on how I am making mine. It is easy, but time consuming. I am using Elmers glue, mortar and Thompson's water seal, with lots of small pebbles. Although I am only making fronts, not the sides and top.

Here's a close up of one of the stone fronts. Glue makes such a mess. Actually I made the mess...

Thumbnail by SPGardens
Ocean Springs, MS

Gardenlady, this addition has been a long, drawn-out mess that should be finished this week! I no longer "like" my contractor. He will never get a recommendation from me! The builders are very nice people and he treats them like crap. Excuse my language! He has tried to blame them for the 8-week process that was supposed to take 3 weeks, but I let him know really fast that he's the boss and HE is accountable! One of the workers told me that he underbid my addition by about one-third of the cost! But I have not let him cut any corners! I sent back a door that was "used," I keep account of everything that is delivered and used, and so on! So, if you ever have an addition done, don't always think the best price will be the best in the end! He tried to tell me yesterday that I owed him more than he quoted and I told him really fast that I would not pay a penny more than he quoted! I guess he saw a "single woman" and thought he could take advantage of me! Nope! I'm too wise and mean for that! LOL

Thank-you Froggie!!! Glad you can speak your mind when needed... Feels good....

Guys you can use lg. pvc plumbing pipe to glue your shells or stones on for a round house. Or go to the dollar tree and get a plastic container to glue your things to too. I use lg. pvc pipe . I also wrap several layers of news paper around cardboard tubes and then do my gluing to that and that way I can use the pipe over and over again. Of course the few I have made were done in clay and fired in my kiln. I have pictures somewhere not sure where though.
Maybe I can make one tomorrow and take picture as I do each stage. I will make a shell house for my bathroom garden. I need a craft day and I can do this all in one day I think.
I will post it in the crafts or art forum, I will you guys know if anyone is interested?

Yeap I am interested to say the least! Let me know elfie. I will follow u anyWhere...lol

Ocean Springs, MS

Elfie and Babette, you two have given us so much information! Thanks so much for sharing. I'll be glad when this construction is done so I can do things I want to do. Most of my craft stuff is packed away right now, out of the way for the builders. Sometimes I feel like a prisoner in my bedroom because they are working in the mainn part of the house! LOL

Got a question? I made a mosaic plaque, but the grout haze dried before I could clean it. Any suggestions on what to use to clean off the haze? thanks

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Always interested in what you make, Elfie.

I've used one of those plastic pot scrubbers to clean grout off tile. It does take some elbow grease. Try wetting the tile and using a pot scrubber if the grout isn't too thick. Someone else might have a better idea.

Question. Can we send just the miniatures for this swap or do we have to make some sort of display?

Ric, be careful using Elmer's glue, it is water soluble, and may not hold up to being outside.
E-6000 or a clear silicone will work better. Just hate to see you do all that work, and have it not last long.

You can also use dollar store birdhouses to glue your stones to for fairy houses, even old clay pots!

Julie, stick to your guns, and don't let them push you around!

I think this swap is just for the miniature items, we make our own displays or containers!

I use Thompsons water seal over the mortar + pebbles. Helps bond, seal and protect from water, snow, ice. and freezing temps. It is recommended by my neighbor who is a contractor in this area.

My secret swap partner will be receiving a mini stone front. Can't post photos since it will be a surprise. But will be posting photos of other fronts + inspirations in the making. Even put a coating of sealer on one my little fairy's....

I got up and cleaned the kitchen got all my supplies together, then got dizzy and ended up on the bed. Still there.. The doc gave me all new meds yesterday and I am not sure if that is the problem or something elase. If I feel better tonight I will get back at it this evening.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Mudelf sorr you are not feeling good. Poor lady so busy on everything!!! I like the idea of gluing stuff on a clay pot!! I never thought of that. Duh...will have to try this. It would be so cute. The glue I bought was loctite all purpose go 2 glue. My dh was trying to get me to buy gorilla glue. Anyone used this stuff ever?

Ocean Springs, MS

Cville, you may send miniatures, plants, whatever! I am going to try to pair swap partners with like this:
1. pair those wanting miniatures for a dish or container garden
2. pair those wanting larger things for outdoor gardens
When I post the sign-up thread, everyone can post a "wish list" and their preference for miniatures or larger things. Does this make sense?
I will also try your idea about the grout haze. Thanks!

Elfie, hope you feel better.

Gardenlady, I personally do not like gorilla glue. It foamed up and squeezed out between the pieces. May have been something I did, like using too much! LOL

I wouldn't use gorilla glue either....not impressed with it.

Elfie hope you get to feeling better. Hate to be sick when I have alot I want to do.

Haven't tried it but would those mr. clean cleaner pads clean that haze off. I don't know what they are called. I think it was Linda Kay suggested I use it on my glass top stove and it worked like a champ.

Think I have poison ivy right where the nose of my glasses sit and downward on my check. I have never had poison ivy so I am not sure.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow! I see old friends here. Hello Joyce, Kris, & Linda Kay. Haven't been to Dave's for awhile & want to get back in with both feet.
Faye

Hi Faye, so glad to see you back. We are here waiting for you to come join us again.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2014 10:07 PM

((((( Faye )))))

Hello Faye....
Elfie ~ Hope you are feeling better.....make sure that you are not dehydrated... drink plenty of water...
Joyce ~ hope your poison ivy is doing better. Please be careful!
Froggie ~ I took some tri-color sedum cuttings for you. they should root by September.

Please welcome my new addition to my fairy garden.....

Thumbnail by SPGardens

Hey Faye, glad you jumped in and joined us!

I love that dragon!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.