Central Fl. RU

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi, everyone.

Well, I am quite cavalier when it comes to snakes now. Of course, I know that none of them compare with our delightful Lucy, but they don't send me running as much. We only have indigo black racers around here and they're not man eaters. Lucy was on me last night. She rose and aligned her nose with mine. She backed away and YYAAWWNNEEDD like there was no tomorrow, then she sat her head on the bridge of my nose and sighed heavily. Try that with a pigmy rattle snake! I don't think so.

Yes, it's a schlep to the RU, but once a year in Central Florida won't kill me. Dad may want to tag along and maybe my friend Marc-André, you never know. I'm planning on being alone, for now. I will bring desert roses (adenium obesum), if anyone wants them. I might go on a cuttings spree today. Captain Rooting Hormone to the rescue. I have so many colorful and easy to grow copperleafs I could open a store.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have so many plants the need to be cut back and cuttings from them that need to be rooted.
Between work, the family and the yard, I may not have enough time to get all the cuttings in pots before the RU.

Would anyone be offended if I brought some clippings un-rooted and we can pot them at the RU?

Shauna

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Shauna, I for one won't be, it is the time to be cutting back plants and for me will be hard to have any roots going by the Round-up. I've cut back some early with the round up in mind and the cold has taken a toll on them. So I plan on brings some cuttings also. You can wrap them in wet newspaper to keep them moist. That hopefully should work.

Mud-Elf, I would say to just bring what you have, I don't even know what I have until I get out in the garden a bit more, and time hasn't allowed that of late. You can post what you are bringing and some do, but seems the trading really doesn't take place until the round-up. The beachy items sound nice, I like to decorate my garden with beachy stuff.

I'm off to rake the ton of live oak leaves in my front yard today...I wait till they've all pretty much fallen off the tree. Was very cold this morning here, 41° when I got up at sunrise.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2014 8:23 AM

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Mud-Elf...I am a dolphin fanatic and if you had any beachy, dolphin items...I will gladly take them off your hands. LOL

Sherri - glad I won't be the only one with clippings...with this crazy weather of hot/cold/hot/cold...I have not had as much time to get my clippings rooted. Not having to root them beforehand will give me the opportunity to bring more. :-)

So far, I am planning (hoping) on bringing some hibiscuses, crinums, bromeliads, Sanchezia and lots of my Dutchman's Pipe vine.

Shauna

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Elfie,
I used to try a trade list but it got confusing so now I don't bother. Anything for trades is fine except husbands. I've had one for 56 years and sure don't want to TRY to train another. LOL

Sylvain, if I remember correctly didn't you have some really beautiful hibiscus--hope you can bring some cuttings from them. I've tried locating them here several times and when they did have them in Lowe's they sold out before I got there.

Shauna, plenty of pots here and compost if you need it. I can scoop a bucket full with my little Kubota and makes it easier to scoop into pots. Give me a heads up and I will get pots out of my garden shed and have them ready.

Sherri,
The ponds have been loaded with leaves this year and wind is still blowing them in. I net them out about 3 times a day. We netted whole pond but didn't work well by just bricking it down. Before next year I will make a frame to hold it tight and keep it off water. Fish had a hard time eating with net in the way so I took it off. Beach balls only hold it up in one area.

I'm off to cement patch cracks in pool lip and bottom.

Spent a lot of time this morning answering all the D-mails about RU. Glad there is so much interest.

Ok,, I have to fess up,,, I totally suck at rooting things,, they just die. I eat her water to much or too little, to much sun not enough son,, or geez maybe they just do not like me. I will bring good stuff to swap or if I cannot bring enough it will be just fine to see my Aunt make new friends!

Of course I will make new friends too...hee hee.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Humm,, I have a new I pad and am not used to the camera. But this gives you an idea of one of the types of things I could bring. Of course being that ya'll live in Florida they may be too craft projects for you there??

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Those are very cute Mud_Elf! :-)

Hi.

Yes, I have a very nice hibiscus bush, with peach-colored double blooms that is basically blooming all winter long. It is now 8 feet high and 8 feet wide. The other day, we counted 78 blooms on it. Of course, the next morning, we had 78 dead blooms on the grass, but they're no problem. I won't have time to root any cuttings before the RU, but I can make fresh cuttings just before I leave and let you guys have at them.

Sylvain.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I think that is what I am going to have to do as well Sylvain.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Elfie, if I didn't know better I'd think you were a Fl. crafter. Very appropriate for Fl. They are just beautiful. I have a 3 strikes and your out rule with rooting plants. I move them 3 times until they find their happy place and if they never grow into the compost or garbage they go.

Sylvain and Shauna, got you two beat, I'm going to hand out my clippers and everyone who wants anything can just clip their own cuttings. Worked last time.

Just because I don't work an outside job doesn't mean I have a world of time. When I think back I don't know where I found the time to go to work. But it was necessary. Of course I didn't have this garden and ponds then.

Shauna someday you will be a full time gardner like me. It's wonderful even though a lot of work. I love work anyhow.

I have a saying when we entertain: "We cleaned and picked up as much as we can. If you're not happy, we'll lend you cleaning supplies and rags.". Nobody ever took us up on it. So, you'll lend us your pruners, hoping we'll prune for you. Good idea. I like it.

Sylvain.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Actually I have already pruned but left some really high pieces on plants I think some will want.
Geez I pruned too soon ya'll could have done it for me.
I like your idea about cleaning. I'd much rather be outside in the garden.
The yellow cestrum has a real high section I left and it looks crazy but will be some for everyone. I have loads of cleredendron, shiffalera, yellow cassia and loads of seed pods on that. Can't spell their names but I can say them.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie has tons that u can take clippings of and all kinds of goodies in her yard. BTW, Bonnie...I keep forgetting to take a picture of it, but the Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow you gave me from last's year RU is doing wonderfully. I have noticed that within the last few weeks, the amount of leaves has doubled and i have blooms forming. It appears to be very happy in the place that I planted it in.

Shauna

Got out in the garden yesterday and there are so many dead plants. Most I found the tags but no sign of my plants,, there were many dead plants in pots to. I am so very unhappy. For every live plant I found there were at least 5 dead ones.

What I did find is my hostas all survived. I found all my various lilies and they are not only doing well but have put out babies. All my EE's, canna, and other tropically are just gone.

We just moved in here 2 years ago, and I have been slowly transplanting from the old house, I moved only 100 miles north,,, however with the bad winter and no time for plants to establish themselves, I have just lost too much.

Bonnie you're a hoot. I almost spit my coffee all over my keyboard reading your husband trading comment. ☺

Mud Elf, those are so pretty, you are very creative.
Some plants root better than others, and I have good luck a bit more than 60% of the time. Last year I took some cuttings off Bonnie's plants and they are doing great. I've also taken clippings from other Dave's Garden friend's gardens, just wrapped them in newspaper, brought them home and popped them into a pot of good soil and they are beautiful plants now.

The flowering maple in the background of the first photo was nothing more than a couple small clippings off Bonnie's tree from last year. It gives constant flowers.

By the way Melanie (Locoluna) does plan on coming again this year.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

I will be there Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

GREAT the more the merrier.
I always pray for good weather and so far we have always had perfect days for my RU's. No special connection just HIS kindness.

I'm working hard to try and get pool painted and back in order just in case it turns hot. All I ask if anyone brings children they have to stay with them in water. 45 years of pool parties and never lost a child yet. (Thank God)

I think we are going to have more people than last year so I'll fix a large ham and a turkey. No one ever goes home hungry or without plants.

One other request**** please label your plants. If they are cuttings painters tape with name on won't hurt the plants.
Seasoned gardner and RU participant Delisa said they often bring something with them to ask
name and mark plants before taking them home. Sounds like good idea.

OK got to get to D-mails of which I have had plenty lately.

Good news.

I plan on going, unless something stops me dead in my tracks. I have my dad who will come along and 2 of my gardening friends from Montreal may join me. They have no clue what Dave's Garden is and they have never heard of a DG Round-up. They'll be bringing stuff, too.

This could be loads of fun.
Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sylvain,
Glad you are not traveling alone. More fun with friends. How many miles are you from Clermont? Just curious.
We always enjoy talking with fellow gardners we learn a lot that way.

Food, fun and fellowship go hand in hand. Also, a couple of different surprises this year if it works out. Thanks to fellow DG's that are coming.

Look forward to meeting you all.
Bonnie

Google Earth tells me I am 205 miles away from Clermont. So, I guess departure time will be around 5AM for me. I have to pick up my friends who live 10 miles away from here.

Sylvain.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I am actually 5 mi. south of Clermont, When time draws near send me your planned route and possibly when you get up this way I could save you a few miles.
Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

If anyone could bring their own chairs that would be a great help. I'm sure I have enough tables for everyone to sit at to eat comfortably.

Thanks, Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

For anyone heading to the RU that has never been to Bonnie's before...if your directions/navigation system try to take you down a dirt road...STOP, stay on the pavement and find another route.

Made that mistake last year and ended up needing to get towed out of the back of an orange grove! LOL

Shauna

LOL...I remember that Shauna...Bonnie had some good direction signs up last year, what a great help they were. I've learned in our abundance of traveling in a big motorhome to never trust those dang Nav systems, where they get the route sometimes is beyond me? I still trust my handydandy mapbook.

I'll bring some extra chairs.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna just stay on 33 north until you see Pine Isl. Rd. sign plus 1 of my sad homemade signs should be there. Running out into the middle of hiway 50 last year onto the median was a challenge. Had to get the sign up in the middle of the road so everybody would know where to turn south onto 561. Won't tell you what some people hollered to me. I just smiled so I'm sure they thought I was completely nuts. They were right.

Thanks Sherri for extra chairs.

I do not have any extra chairs,, sorry. I do have a couple of camp chairs,, will that work?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

looks like i will have only a few plants to bring.i will still be in my cast

There are always 2 folding chairs in the back of my car: it's standard equipment for me. I will have to seriously declutter the rest and include a tarp for the return trip. A gardener's car is NEVER clean.

Sylvain.

i have not been able to find anyone to come with me-i can not drive that far by my self.
so with a heavy hearth i have to tell you i can not come do to my broken arm.

PLEASE HAVE ANOTHER RU THIS FALL!!!!!

sandy

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Don't worry about chairs I'll round some up.

Sandy, I'm really sorry you won't be here. I do fully understand though. Some things we just don't have control over. You get healed up soon.

Maybe fall RU!

Bonnie

Sandy,, can you drive to Ormond Beach? I will gladly drive you the rest of the way.

thank you but no, left arm is now giving me problems-it is not happy -lots of pain in both arms now. would not be good company
do not think right is healing right need to call and talk with doc

So sorry wren,, can I drop plants off for you to anyone? I will be driving through your area on Thursday going to my aunts. Can also drop plants from the RU to you. That way you will not miss out?

Thanks but do not have much ready not really enough to bather (?) with

My yard guys are coming tomorrow I hope and they will help me start A LOT of seeds

Spent the last 4hour making plant labels----pooped!!!!!
Hoping I will have tons of plants that will need new homes later!,,

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Elfie, that's what I call thoughtful. Bless you.

Sandy, you hang in there and glad you have your yard guys for help. 2 more pair of hands sounds like a real good investment.

Bonnie

just found you message on the pther site, sorry having problrms ty[ing

go to florida thread and post it there

go there rearly

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I can't be there the weekend of April 12 and 13....that's always my grandson's birthday. I miss every round up at Bonnies :(

i am hoping onr this fall i will have a lot of plants

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.