Central Fl. RU

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Someone brought a fig plant to the RU. Could I get what kind of fig it is so I can research it further please.
Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

What a beautiful day filled with wonderful people!

I want to thank Bonnie for being the gracious host that she is!!!

Came home Saturday and worked well into the night to get plants either potted or in the ground. By the end of the day Sunday, all plants had been taken care of.

We extended a flower bed a couple of weeks ago and between the new plants from the RU and a few I had ordered over the winter...I now have that bed planted. Looks a little polka-dotty now, but hopefully...it will start filling out.

It was a pleasure meeting all the new faces Saturday!!

Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Great time for sure. This was my first time to meet up with DG'ers and I very much enjoyed. So many generous gardeners with all the amazing plants your shared. Great company, great food, great supply of plants and knowledge. I really enjoyed meeting yall.

Bonnie thanks so much for hosting and all your hard work for us to come and enjoy. Incredible ponds and beautiful gardens.

Looking forward to the next FL RU.

Jan

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Your on the ball Shauna. That will be a real nice bed when it fills out. That pic.l makes me realize how old I'm getting.

Well we have a leak someplace in pool and AC went out last night so I still have work to be done. Never a dull moment huh!

I have all but the cuttings planted. Yesterday Charlie pulled with my Kubota that large Fl. orchid tree out as it never did well and was always in my way so now I have a little more planting room.
Happy gardening all.
Bonnie

I am almost home. Just read that we are having a freeze tonight! Darn it I have over 100 seedings on the porch. Guess I will be filling the kitchen up with trays when I get home.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

A freeze, gosh will yall ever get a break from the winter????? glad you made it down, as I know you went through a lot to join us. Glad your aunt enjoyed herself as well. It is always nice to include family/friends who are dealing with health issues, and let them know that their company is appreciated.

Jan

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Elfie, I'm so sorry that spring hasn't come to your neck of the woods, but at least it's not snowing like it is in Maine. I was just reading an email from my friend Judy and she went back home a bit earlier than she would have liked. She said it was snowing very exta large flakes. It's still lovely here in Florida.

I planted my caladium bulbs yesterday, still need to send a thank you note, and mailed a flag off to Bonnie. There must have been 35 people in line waiting to mail their taxes. The quilter's and knitters enjoyed the delicious butterscotch & chocolate chip cake with our tea. I shared bags of fresh rosemary with all my herb loving friends and will put it in the next loaf of Artisan bread I bake. Some I've planted and some I'm drying. All is good!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Gee Mud Elf a freeze again...twhat a bummer. Guess that is why we are about to get this heavy line of showers, but no freeze thank goodness. It was really hot yesterday.

Shauna that is a great shot of you and Bonnie.

Here is all the pictures I took, I got too wrapped up in chatting with everybody, glad Bonnie reminded us to take pictures.

Sorry I can't remember everybody's names so if I make a mistake, just correct it. The the two ladies in the green are Mittsy and Elfie, and Delisa next to them. I think the two gentlemen are Mr. Jan and Mr. Mittsy. Dave is by the birthday cake, it was his 75th birthday. The last photo is Bonnie and Jan.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Thanks for the pictures.

more pictures...I'm racking my brain trying to remember the sweet lady in the first picture, maybe someone can help. Melanie in the red, Elfie and her Aunt Moe in the pink shirt. Shauna, Bonnie and Sherri (me) last pic.

Now don't even ask me screen names....LOL. ☺

This message was edited Apr 17, 2014 8:20 AM

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Mr Jan is also known by Richard... or the better half of Jan..LOL

So many wonderful folks, I was blessed to meet in person. Can't wait to see everyone again at the next round up.

Jan

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sylvain don't know what happened to the rest of my previous post, so here is another try. So sorry to hear that you had a health fair up issue which prevented ya from attending, it was wonderful and we had a great day, but later in the afternoon the heat started working on me....

Hope your world is upright soon for you.

Jan

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

I hope everyone had a good time!! Hopefully I'll be able to make it up to the next one.
Enjoy the Caladiums......

Happy Gardening!!
Bill

Thumbnail by Caladiums4Less
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

YYVM for the Caladiums Bill!

Shauna

Yes, Thanks so very much Bill for the caladiums, a garden favorite of mine. I just put mine in the ground. That photo is a beautiful display of caladiums.

Thank you so much Bill. I planted my share at my aunts house. She was so surprized and trilled to get your gift of bulbs. I will be sure to get some of her bulbs next year. Thanks again!!

Pictures I took at the RU.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Even more.

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Bill, what a joy it was to receive your caladiums. This is one plant I've never grown but have been wanting to grow since coming back home to FL. Your gifts were so wonderful, can't thank you enough for sharing with us.

Jan

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sherri's first set of pics.
1. my best friend Audrey Bronson. Maker of great ice tea.
4. Mittsy fist 1 left, Delisa and her friend.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Elfie's pics. First set
1. Richard Jan's husb. in foreground. then in background Dave Heckler & his wife Judy Fields
2. Mittsy
3. Delissa
4. Elfie's Aunt Mo
5. Bonnie & Elfie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Elfie's 2nd set.
1. Aunt Mo admiring my staghorn
2. staghorn
3. Sign-Reads-Bloom Where God Plants You
4. group admiring serinan cherry
5. backyard plus cow trailer

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sent a written thank you to Bill as I thought that was such a thoughtful gesture to send us all those caladiums. I'm hoping anyone that needs them in the future will remember him.

Bonnie

PS. I printed out all the planting instructions so I'm sure they will grow for you. My BF Audrey said she grew them for years and never took them out of the ground during the winter and they always came back. I'm going to plant mine in partial shade so we shall see what happens.

Thank you Bonnie for the names, I know everyone likes names to faces.

I actually placed an online order with Bill for a caladium I've been searching for. Darn postage sure hikes the price up, but figure the gas would cost me much more to drive there. Anyway they shipped the next day, that is great. And thanks Bonnie for the planting instructions, I didn't know you did that. I gave some to my friend that came over that night. I have caladiums all over my garden, in pots and in ground, they come back year after year. I already have some coming up this year, which is much earlier than usual.

I'd also like to thank Patty from LeFleur Nursery (I think) that showed up later and brought some nice sprouted seedlings. I took some but forgot what they are. If you're reading this maybe you can post what you brought again. Was really nice of you to come such a long way.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Bonnie that was so kind of you to print them, I didn't know you did that, gosh all that ink and paper just for us, you sure love us don't ya kid....

I'm so glad you posted Patty fr LeFleur Nursery's name, as I too am very thankful for her donation. I scored a passion flower which I can't wait for the fruit. LOL

Thanks again Patty.

Jan

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

For those of you on FB, make sure you like Bills page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Caladium-Bulbs-4-Less/151411464900287

I emailed him asking to be put on his mailing list and in his reply back, he stated that if I wanted to order some caladiums, to call him specifically and he would see what he could do about saving me money on the order.

Shauna

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi, everyone,

I am still watching this thread, although I couldn't attend. It only compounds my misery. I missed a great event through no fault of my own. I would have loved to meet each and everyone of you and shared plants with you all. Maybe next time, God willing.

Take care.
Sylvain.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sylvain,
D-mail me your address and you might receive a surprise in the mail.
Sure hope your head is straightened out by now. Been through that and I know it's miserable.

Bonnie

Yes Jan I love you all and sure enjoyed every ones company.

Bonnie, did you get your garden flag? I mailed my thank you to Bill.

I just realized that LeFleur nursery is not too far from me and I have several plants in my garden from them, they get a visit every spring from me. Small world.

Jan, I picked up one of those passion vine seedlings, do you know what kind it is?

Thanks Shauna for the FB links.

Also, Bill at Caladiumbulbs, also contacted me with the same information you posted. It is good to have local Florida nurseries with such wonderful customer relations, something hard to find these days.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Guess in another thread I said I rec'd the flag and have it right by front door in large pot. Also mailed you a little package the other day. Thank you very much.

I have lots of seeds and I think from you Mittsy which I will get planted next week. Wow did I have hibiscus cuttings to plant from Shauna. If they all live I sure will have plenty. Also from Shauna Dutchmens pipe and some butterfly bushes.

Thinking about taking out all those broms and replacing with the caladiums. It is all shade so hope they would do well there. Broms are sharp leaved and I've got torn up on them before.
Have a friend that will take them all as she is planting them through lightly wooded area in front of her house.

Happy Easter all.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm sorry I didn't get the name but I know it is one of the ones I've been very interested in.

Jan

Bonnie, just to let you know I received the packet.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Someone at the RU was asking about Everglades tomatoes. A Facebook friend of mine has a bunch of them and I got a bag of tomatoes from her yesterday. I was thinking about trying to harvest some seeds from them and wanted to know who wanted them.

Shauna

I'm interested. I read all you have to do is squish one of those tomatoes into the soil and it will grow.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I'd also like to try them Shauna. Also, I love the original sweet 100's but have a hard time finding them in plants or seeds. Let me know if you ever find any please.

Mittsy,
all your seeds are planted except the cucumbers. Charlie will have to put cultivator on my little tractor to fix backyard garden for them. I've always wanted to try columbine so they are all planted in pots. Wow you have patience to save all those little seeds. Thanks much.

Please say a little prayer for Charlie. He had an extreme spike in BP today right after I got finished with an artery test today at my docs. He is on meds and usually its fine. After he upchucked he took a long nap and got up feeling great. I'm hoping it stays down. Getting old stinks.

Happy gardening all.
Bonnie

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna

I would love to if you have an extra tomato Ill be glad to send out a SASE, just drop me a message with the address.

Bonnie, saying healing prayers for Charlie. Very scary for sure.

Jan

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sweet person just sent me this link: http://www.vermontwildflowerfarm.com/tomatoe-sweet-100--packet

Bonnie will certainly keep Charlie in my prayers, hope he is doing okay now. Poor guy.

I found the sweet 100 cherry plants in about mid February at Wal-mart, also some at Home Depot and Lowe's. I bought two plants the day I saw them and decided to go back the next day to get two more, all gone. So you have to snatch them if you see them, they are popular. Jalapenos are the same way, go pretty fast.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

{{Charlie in my prayers!}} :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.