January 2014 Weather, closer to spring.

LOL Pepper!!! Sorry you didn't get to go sledding today,but maybe you will be able to by the time its all over with.If its powdery then it would not be a good ideal to throw at your family or friends.

This message was edited Jan 9, 2014 11:27 AM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

9:30 pm central time, cooling down, but was NICE after freezing- I understand many are without power or heat yet
temp 39* windchill 33*- think it hit 46* this afternoon
humidity lo at 67%

Pepper,i did have to have a thin jacket on today.LOL!!!
The low tonight is in the 20's.So the water is dripping again.

Good night all and stay warm and bundle up!!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Up a minute after bedtime 9 degrees above with no wind chill .. ?
Those 20's tomorrow and 30's the rest of the week are looking mighty welcome ...

32 now with a wind chill of 25.Todays high is 45.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

warm start to the day, but rain in forecast
47* humidity 77% overcast
hmmm, I best get my truck stocked and cleaned before it has to be done in the rain.. (better than 17* yesterday morning)

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

They are calling for a high of 71F but I'd trade it if the guy up the street with the stereo would move.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 5:51 AM PST on January 08, 2014
Clear
44 °F
Clear
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 31 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.05 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 8.40 out of 12

Chaparral currant

Thumbnail by Kelli
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

12 degrees 1 degree chill ..
Going for the twenties above not below ^_^

42 now with a wind chill of 36.Cloudy all day.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Getting a lovely wind from the SE...must be in thanks for cooling everyone off and sending all that loverly cool fresh invigorating air down there. :D :D :D

Then again it might be Florida sending it this-a-way out of pure fear. ;D

We will be around 34F in about 38 or so hours!!! :D :D :D

High today was 16F low was -20F.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Currently 20 with flurries and freezing drizzle moving in overnight.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

-6º I thought it was supposed to warm up.
Oh, that's right, it is January!

LOL. It has warmed up, just not above freezing. You went from -14 in last post to -6 in current one. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

LOL I was going to say the same thing /

" well at least it's warmer " lol

18 degrees light snow here , 23 earlier /

At lease i don't have to let my water drip tonight.YAY!!!

42 now with a wind chill of 38.
37 for the low tonight.
Good night folks and stay warm!!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

That post was Monday night.
It is now -4º.
Maybe-----.

Foggy this morning and we are having 93% humidity. (My hands don't know what to think.) We're supposed to get a high of 70F and wind this afternoon. That means the end of humidity and maybe a fire warning again.

Updated: 6:51 AM PST on January 09, 2014
Fog
46 °F
Fog
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 44 °F
Pressure: 30.05 in (Rising)
Visibility: 0.2 miles
Pollen: 8.50 out of 12

I haven't seen manzanita bloom this year. It's been too dry. I hope not too many animals count on manzanita fruits to survive.

Thumbnail by Kelli

44 now and raining.The high is 54.

Mountain View, HI

The weather guys cannot get it right. The thunderstorms and heavy rain never happened. The weather systems that were to pass over the islands just faded away. There were some showers around but they were difficult to find. At our house it stayed sunny and breezy and cold. Last night went down to 55f. This morning at 8.15 its still below 60 with a cloudless sky and the sun streaming through the window. Historically January is known as our driest month and it looks like it might be true again this year. Have to keep an eye on our catchment tank

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

+15º, but south wind, which the weather liars don't count, makes it feel like colder than the day the wind chill was -35º.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

28Degrees 18 chill ,
Gray , winter , foggy looking..
you know , routine ..

Some flurries this morning, then clouds rest of day. Weather channel said 36 was to be our high today which I knew wouldn't happen. 11am was 20 degrees. 5pm was 25, and now it's 28 degrees. Will warm up a few more degrees and commuters in the morning will have to deal with freezing rain before it gets above freezing.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

30 Degrees ,,, and believe this ,, It's Snowing !!! I don't need anymore !!!

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Wished we had more than the 3 to 4 inches we do have. Every thing goes south of us.
Major drought in our area.
So nice now that it has warmed up some what. Makes life liveable.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

65* hi yesterday.Rained yest til it poured, then rained more. Ground soggy temps muggy, and the ditches were running full.

59*, 100% humidity, 8mph wind, growing light outdoors.

They are calling for a high of 78F today. No rain in the forecast for the next week. :-( Not windy at the moment though they are calling for it.

Updated: 6:51 AM PST on January 10, 2014
Haze
46 °F
Haze
Windchill: 45 °F
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 40 °F
Wind: 4 mph from the South
Pressure: 30.06 in (Rising)
Visibility: 5.0 miles
Pollen: 8.60 out of 12

lichen up close

Thumbnail by Kelli
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

40 Degrees ,, the melt begins !!!
Now ? Some Sunshine would do nicely ^_^

Thumbnail by juhur7
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

30º here.

40 currently. I missed the forcast for week but basically high 30s to mid 40s all week. Had fog and drizzle most of day.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I see everybody is thawing out. 70° this morning with 94% humidity, yep, the AC went back on last night. up to 80° today. The only reason the AC is on is because the floors are wet from the humidity and we are sliding around....poor dog.

This is cool...or should I say "COLD"...Ice balls on Lake Michigan....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iupm6VHKoQU

This message was edited Jan 11, 2014 7:32 AM

This message was edited Jan 11, 2014 1:07 PM

They're calling for a high of 75F. As usual, no rain in the weekly forecast. Will this be a year without wildflowers?

Updated: 6:51 AM PST on January 11, 2014
Clear
45 °F
Clear
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 39 °F
Pressure: 30.13 in (Rising)
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Pollen: 8.10 out of 12

I thought this was pretty even if it is all dried up.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I remember my family's trip to California when I was a child...it was green and gorgeous that summer. Since then I've had a hard time putting the current reality with my memory image.

The Chumash Indians (a local tribe) had a story. Every night, the supernatural beings Sky Coyote and Sun would play a game something like dice. On the Winter Solstice, the scores were totaled up. If Sun won, he demanded his winnings in the form a human lives and it would be a dry year. If Sky Coyote won, it would be a wet winter and his winnings would be in the form of good things to eat, which he shared freely with mankind. It looks like Sun won this past year. (Interesting that in this hot climate, Sun is considered a cruel god.)

This message was edited Jan 11, 2014 8:41 AM

That is interesting Kelli, I remember studying the Chumash Indians in middle school History class when I lived there. I hope you still get your wildflowers.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Fascinating story Kelli and I often think of the sun that way re cruel god. Too hot in the summer (some years) and come winter he teases us with his fire (often with sun dogs nearby) that we never feel in the dead of winter.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

As for me , I enjoyed the story ,,
A Sun God being cruel brings to mind ; Sunbather's and Tanning, with a Sunburn ...
Started at 41 degrees here today '
34 now 23 chill
Wind 10 to 20 mph WNW , feels really cold ..
light rain ..

40 and clouds around.

Neighbor at end of road is clearing trees from a field so every time I step outside I end up smelling like smoke. I love the smell of wood burning but you know it's bad when there's no smoke yet you end up smelling like it. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey pepper ,, Just believe in Ham,, A few weeks ago , we would of had a lot of use for that wood ,,lol

30 degrees here now ..
light rain still

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Made it up to +41 today....strong chinook winds coming from the SW.

It made it to 85° yesterday, that is just not right for January.
Impressive line of showers right after we took the meat off the grill with cold front coming down last evening... I love a good thunderstorm. ☺

Today 58°/70°/50° Sunny

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.