January 2014 Weather, closer to spring.

Lol Pepper!!!

Mountain View, HI

It's hard to report Hawaiian Weather amid all those cold cold temps and beautiful photos of snow.

Clear sunny day, light southerly winds, great weather to cut the grass. 75f

Weather system just reaching Kauai as predicted with moderate winds and moderate to heavy showers. Moving East at 20 mph. The rain will move down the island chain tonite and tomorrow. It will stall just East of the Big Island (our home). On Sunday an upper level trough will come over the island and cause the system just East of us to move back giving us thunderstorms and the potential for heavy flooding rains. Remember some areas had 10-20 inches of rain earlier this week so ground is already water logged.

At least its not snow.

Side note - very slow moving lava flow is burning forest about 9 miles south of us. Must check to make sure there is some high ground between us and there. Kilauea has been erupting continuously for 31 years today. Check out Hawaii volcanoes National Park for Kilauea updates given daily.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Microb report away ,, warm thoughts are good !!!

-5 actual temperature
Sunny and calm .. Awaiting tomorrows or Sunday's next winter storm
pics from down the block and around the corner
From a friends window ..

Thumbnail by juhur7
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Currently 47F. They are calling for a high of 74F or a little more.

Jalama Creek had some water. Bird is a snow goose.

Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kelli Beautiful pics . I really like the old bridge in the background .. That would make a great puzzle!!!..
lol... Snow Goose .. There is a snow joke there somewhere ,,,LOL,LOL !!! pretty bird .. we don't see many .

OOPS ; -9 now , with the sun shinning .. going the wrong way !!! hey, now...quit that !!!

This message was edited Jan 3, 2014 11:33 AM

Thanks juhur. The bridge is a railroad bridge as you might have been able to tell. One of the scenic Amtrack routes, the Coast Starlight, goes through there.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

But a very strong south wind.
Snow is drifting. Going to be a miserable day.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am use to misery ,, I just don't like it being so cold..
Warmer weather and misery is fine ... I will await it's return . lol ?

Lilypons earlier storm forecast sounds like the forecast here , except for -60 wind chill ,Forecast here says only wind chills of -40 or -45 ,, are likely .. ( big deal at those temperatures , huh ? )

Sunny and 41 now.The high is 46 and sunny.

Juhur,where i live we get Tornadoes.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This afternoon the Governor of Minnesota declared all Public schools will be closed on Monday due to the cold predicted. Supposed to have windchill of -50º or lower.

We will survive!

Country_Gardens,hope you all stay warm!!!

Its 42 now with a wind chill of 39.Tonights low is 27.Another night for the water to drip.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Southgal , we get Tornadoes here also . late 70's a tornado destroyed part of downtown , Year before last part of the country club area ..
Currently 14 degrees
Wind SSE12 mph .
Wind chill 0. degrees

Schools are not open again here until next week ,, good timing this year ...

It may come as a surprise, but we get small tornadoes once in a while.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kelli it does ; Only if I understand correctly ? Tornadoes can occur anyplace on the planet ,,
We just happen to be alley in the US ,

Tornadoes is the only bad thing that comes this way.

Hurricanes stay further south to New Orleans all the way to Florida and the Gulf.I am about 5 or 6 hours away from New Orleans.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We warmed up quite a bit today. Started out somewhere just below zero and are now at 34. Tomorrow similar temps but another snow storm on the way. Around 4 inches predicted.

Mountain View, HI

The rain front did move down the island chain as predicted but was kind of blah when it reached us. Just clouds and light rain. Last night, in Honolulu, trees were blown down and roads in the mountains were blocked by mudslides.
Now we wait until Sunday night and Monday to see if predictions of flooding rains and thunderstorms come true.
Those cold temperatures sound scary.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

22 degrees
7 degrees wind chill
High about 30 degrees today
Warming up to snow , instead of rain ..
Winter Storm Warning begins 1 AM lasts until 1AM 5th thru 6th

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Wind went NW during the night. 37MPH at one point. Down to 25MPH now.
Temp has been falling to. 28º at 10 PM, now 9º.
Low Monday morning around -25º.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Hello and Happy New year weather friends. Love the pictures Kelli and Juhur, from hot to cold. :-)

Talk about Spanish Influence, I was in St. Augustine, the oldest city with my girl friends over New years for a few days, was misty the whole time there, but we still enjoyed ourselves with umbrellas over our heads.

Yesterday cloudy and never got above 49°, today sunny warming to 70°, tomorrow up to 80°, then Monday over eight hours below freezing and down to 27°...the poor garden won't know what hit it after these very warm days.

Some pictures from my motel room in St. Augustine, FL

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Currently 47F. Partly cloudy. They are calling for a high of 72. I don't know what to wear, long sleeves or short.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 6:51 AM PST on January 04, 2014
Clear
47 °F
Clear
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 39 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.96 in (Rising)
Visibility: 8.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 8.40 out of 12

Thumbnail by Kelli

If it would rain out here, it would warm up in the East and Midwest. It has to do with how the jet stream moves around. Right now it is totally ignoring us and you are getting your weather from the north instead of from the south. Current jet stream map http://classic.wunderground.com/US/Region/US/JetStream.html

This winter reminds me of the late '70's and early '80s when we had some cold weather and a lot of snow days in PA.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2014 7:54 AM

It is 48 now sunny with wind SSE at 13.The high for today is 59 with mostly sunny.

Currently 42 and cloudy. Snow moving in slowly.

A not-too-long article about the California drought http://blogs.kqed.org/science/2014/01/02/2013-californias-big-dry/

It is 58 now.Tonights low is 50 with late showers.

It's 21 according to my computer. Highs were in the low 40s. Snowing like crazy now. Winter storm warning, Winter chill warnings out currently. Expecting around 3 inches here, 6 or more closer to St. Loius.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

34 DEGREES here now , storm warning has been moved back to 4 AM ..
6-10 INCHES likely 12 Inches possible ,, there's still 6 to 8 on the ground from last time ...
Really not bad outside right now tonight , Only what do you do when everything is covered with snow ?,,, ( besides shovel ......)

Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Allright lol , I heard that .. who said that ? lol (slip and fall on your backside ) uh huh ,,, gotcha , or you, whoever got me .... lol

57 now.It won't drop down much more.

Stay warm everyone!!!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Currently
Partly cloudy

-13°F

Feels like -40
Alerts in your area. Please check for warnings and information related to your city or location.
***********************************************************************************************************
Heading down to:
Sun. Morning
Cloudy periods

-26°F

Feels like -54

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

34 degrees
light snow; wind calm .
Winter storm ,, ? it is not much so far ..
ION's are sneaky and unusual though ..

This will crack you up. We have a wind chill

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 5:51 AM PST on January 05, 2014
Clear
45 °F
Clear
Windchill: 41 °F
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 35 °F
Wind: 7 mph from the West
Pressure: - (Rising)
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 9.20 out of 12

They are calling for a high of 72F and windy with a fire warning.

some dangerously dry chaparral

Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

OMG I haven't seen this in years!!!

Lightening
Wind Chill Warning
Dangerous wind chills minus 45 to minus 50 today. Wind chills colder than minus ... Find out more ›
Moose Jaw, SK

Clear

-27°F

Feels like -60

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

only -6º
Weather liars claim -28º wind chill. Bunk!
Sun is shining bright. Why not have a sun-warm. It would be above zero in the sun.

I was in Pine River, MN back in about 1962.
Actual temp was -47º.
Let me tell you that is one heck of a lot colder than -47º wind chill.
You could freeze instantly. Wind chill gives you 5 minutes.
No way you could stand actual -47º for 5 minutes because you didn't dare breath.

Lily, what are your takes on this ?

Is there some way we can get Lilypon's cold warning and my fire warning to cancel each other out? ;-)

Currently 9 degrees out. Snow just ended and only got a few inches.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Snowing heavy now here , 32 from 35 an hour or so ago , falling to -14 tonight ,
Winds are more solid and blowing now with a 25 chill . wind is starting to bite ..
The snow may sit a while , "I are not a shoveling at 14 below folks" , uh uh ...ain't happening ..
I will wait until it is about 0 . That's about it for me ,, real tough huh ? ^_^ lol

Thumbnail by juhur7
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

The -47F actual temp is for sure a lot deadlier (one can look for shelter out of the wind) but either one will kill you quick enough if you are out wandering around out there. Its been a number of years since I last felt that cold an actual temp (was trying to remember if we were at that when the movie *Just Friends* with Ryan Reynolds was being shot here. I know the windchill then was colder than what we are currently having. A very well sheltered spot in the daytime, with the sun out, can be toasty warm at -30F but when the actual -40's come its just plain nasty.

An ex Texan lives up here and is attached to my FB. He got stuck last night when the windchill was at -47 (he is very, very, very grateful re the lady that picked up him and his passengers).

Oh how I'd love to send you some of our cold in exchange for your warmth Kelli (but our air is so dry now). :S

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

lilypon -35 is about as cold a temp fr any time that I have ever been in . It froze my hair through and my hair fell off (around my face and ears )
As you were saying , be careful , and those temps are Dangerous , more than can be expressed for those who have never been in them ,,
30 second skin damage is possible and such . Like the opposite of the hour or three hour mummy in the desert when someone falls there ..
That is scary ,, !!!

Thumbnail by juhur7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.