January 2014 Weather, closer to spring.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

36 currently. That system will hit us Monday but skip the snow once again. We are sooo dry here.

Hi Sunkissed,yeah my son enjoyed the day out of school.I am sure everyone did,it gave them a long weekend.Today was a nice day.It was kind of on the windy side,but nice.The low tonight in the 30's.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Long-term droughts have ocurred in the past in California, prior to the instrumental record:

Through studies of tree rings, sediment and other natural evidence, researchers have documented multiple droughts in California that lasted 10 or 20 years in a row during the past 1,000 years -- compared to the mere three-year duration of the current dry spell. The two most severe megadroughts make the Dust Bowl of the 1930s look tame: a 240-year-long drought that started in 850 and, 50 years after the conclusion of that one, another that stretched at least 180 years.

Stine, who has spent decades studying tree stumps in Mono Lake, Tenaya Lake, the Walker River and other parts of the Sierra Nevada, said that the past century has been among the wettest of the last 7,000 years.

Already, the 2013-14 rainfall season is shaping up to be the driest in 434 years, based on tree ring data, according to Lynn Ingram, a paleoclimatologist at UC Berkeley.

California drought: Past dry periods have lasted more than 200 years, scientists say - San Jose Mercury News

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks Lilypon. A 240 year drought? I'll pass.

They are calling for a high of 72F and a 10% chance of a sprinkle this evening.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 6:51 AM PST on January 26, 2014
Clear
52 °F
Clear
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 36 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.12 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 7.50 out of 12

Just a couple pictures. These are scrub oak and toyon, broadleaf evergreens but the leaves are drying up because of the drought.

Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli

I'll leave you with a happy picture, sunrise this morning.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Covering of snow last evening. NW wind.
21º
Blizzard warning later today because of high winds.
Used to be you needed snowfall, high winds & sub zero temperatures all at the same time to be called a blizzard.

People are whimper.

Going to stay home anyway.
Gophers basketball today at 5 PM.

CG, in my opinion, I think that the weather people like to sensationalize the weather and make everything seem worse than it really is. (The proliferation of wind chill has helped the sensationalization a lot.) This brings in viewers, which brings in ads, which brings in money, which is the bottom line. No one is going to turn to the Weather Channel to watch 72F in California, but they do want to see a 'blizzard', whether is it a true historical blizzard or not. (BTW, we call it the East Coast Weather Channel, since CA apparently has no weather.)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Weather channel ceased to exist about a week ago on Direct TV.
Now our only weather is on local newscasts. So only early morning & suppertime.

I watch the weather channel on Dish network.I watch that channel more then I do the local channel.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sorry Kelli...I put that up as that is what is on FB now.

Sorry again folks....the picture I'm seeing now of the current cold blast is going to be memorable for many down there I'm sure. Hopefully many will get snow instead of freezing rain.

Definitely very sunny, very windy and cool here today. The sky is the most gorgeous shade of blue (not a single cloud out there now...probably blown well across the border by now). It really is breathtaking in so many ways out there now. :D

Mountain View, HI

Kelli - I support your opinion about the weather channel. Hawaii does not even exist.
Weather today - none - clear blue sky, little or no wind, little or no cloud.
Weather folks trying to get us interested in almost non existant weather front moving down the island chain today and tomorrow. "Slight" of heavy showers and thundershowers, right, like there is always a "slight" chance of and earthquake. But if we do get a shower they can say they warned us. Starting out at 60f and should reach 75f - boring.
Yes, Kelli, its all about the money and greed.
Just look at HGTV - The Lowes TV channel. What happened to the gardening guy and those other gardening programs. - They don't make money!
Why put wooden handles on rubber bucket wheelbarrows. Why not put solid tires on all wheelbarrows.They fail and you have to buy another one! I've created a wheelbarrow from parts of others - metal handles, rubber bucket and a solid tire. You can't buy one like that.
Ooops, must get off my soap box. Sorry weather people.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Cold, snowy and blowy here today. We had -18ºf here during the last cold spell and expecting more of the same Mon. and Tues. nights. No snow on the ground during the first cold blast so I'm hoping the blights and bad insects got wiped out!

I agree about the sorry state of television. Even the National Geographic and History channels are running bad reality shows. :-(

The weather here is no picnic but I wouldn't trade it for the drought in Calif. Hope Kelli doesn't dry up and blow away

Kelli..... great sunrise photo!

White-out conditions for the drive home yesterday evening with short breaks when the sun would try to peek through...... I stopped for this quick photo.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jan 26, 2014 2:59 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

39 degrees here , sun this evening !
Amazing .. How warm that 34 degrees or so felt after below zero temperatures..incredible !!!

There is a Wind chill warning as -1 for in the morning is forecast .
60% chance of snow ,, meaning forecasters are not sure if that 1 -3 more inches is going to happen here .
A break day today !!! as temperatures go back below zero the next three or four days ..
cold Winter this year ..
Making me remember why spring is such a Big Thing emotionally ..

Micro, totally agree with you. lol. Funny thing is I thought I was the only one who noticed it all being Lowes on there.

Warmish today with high around 52 and sunny. Somewhat breezy til the sun went down and now the wind is howling. At times it sounds like a B-2 going overhead. Wind advisory and red flag warning out.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Well, about 1 PM, wind came in. In a matter of minutes it was a total whiteout.
Still going strong. Weird, as the blowing snow is close to the ground. Can't see 100 ft most of the time at ground level, but neighbors yard light ¼ mile away is visible.
Supposed to quit during the night.

Most MN schools closed tomorrow.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Here's the ground blizzard just before it got to Bernie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTVuDIXe3IY#t=12

Here it was up here (not as bad because we had warm enough temperatures to form an ice crust on the snow...hence little blowing around):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrP2EAl3VPw#t=39

Blizzard and blowing snow warnings have ended but windchill warnings remain for most of Manitoba

Wind chills between -40 to -45 tonight.

This is a warning that extreme wind chill conditions are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..listen for updated statements.

Winds continue to drop however there will still be some blowing snow this eve, however widespread blizzard conditions are over.

Colder air will be flooding in with temperatures near minus 30 overnight and combined with the wind will produce wind chill values near minus 40. Bitterly cold weather is expected to start the work week with temperatures well below normal

Have dropped to 35 currently from 52 earlier today.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

4,000 homes in Manitoba are without heat and facing temps in the -30's Celcius due to a Natural Gas pipeline explosion.

From the city of Grand Forks - Grand Forks City and County staff met with North Dakota Emergency Management and Xcel Energy officials on Sunday evening, January 26, 2014 to discuss the situation created by a natural gas explosion in southern Manitoba.

Xcel Energy has asked that customers with natural gas heating reduce their thermostats to 60 degrees to conserve fuel until further notice. Residents with electric heat, heating oil, propane or other forms of heat are not affected by the request.

Residents are reminded to keep safety in mind when using alternative heating sources such as portable space heaters. Always leave three feet of clearance from those heaters and keep flammable materials away from them. Also, avoid any open flame heating sources like lamps or candles, and do not use things like propane grills for indoor heating.

City offices will observe the conservation measures as well, and will conduct business as usual on Monday, January 27.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Checked out road closed map. Every road in the western 2/3rds of the state are closed.
I-90 from Luverne to Albert Lea is closed. Luverne is near Souix Falls SD. Albert Lea is east side of the state.
MN law says $1000.00 fine if you are caught driving on the closed roads.

Blizzard warning will be lifted at midnight.

-6º now, high today was 25º

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Wind chill Warning
High Wind Warning
Winter Weather Advisory All in Effect here
27 degrees 12 degree chill .
Winds avg , 20 -30 ,, gusting to 60 mph .
Snow is forecast to arrive anytime now .
Schools already called a two hour delay for tomorrow .
Towns are trying to close at curfew because of high wind with the chill factor ,, dangerous !!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

-17°F Feels like -36

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Wind has died down, sun is coming up.
Snowplow went by, not doing much. Amazing how only a couple inches of snow can make a whiteout. No big drifts.
-12º

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

2°/-4°/-14°
Today...Blustery. Mostly sunny. Northwest wind 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 30 mph. Wind chill readings to 35 below.
Tonight...Mostly clear. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill readings to 30 below.

The wind blew, we barely got any snow and even tho it is cold, the sun is out. It's just under 0°.

I'll be staying in. We have leftover pizza for dinner and I'm happy :o)

Have a good day all!

Sounds cozy in your house, BP.

Nothing too new here. Still stuck in October mode. They are calling for a high of 75F. It wouldn't surprise me if it got windy since we had a wimpy system pass through yesterday (all clouds, no rain).

Updated: 6:51 AM PST on January 27, 2014
Clear
48 °F
Clear
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 42 °F
Pressure: 30.06 in (Rising)
Pollen: 7.90 out of 12

Wouldn't you know, the ragweed is coming up.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Mountain View, HI

59f, clear blue sky, no wind and no rain. Mid 70s later today. NEED RAIN

Promise of some rain tomorrow, maybe. Could get some thunderstorms tomorrow, maybe

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

3 degrees -17 the chill
Cold today in this region , same as most

January cold
February Snow
March wind
April Showers
May Flowers
Folk poems , looking true this year , Farmers Almanac is saying this also, this year ,, According to either , February is suppose to be the snowiest month this winter ,,
(I'm not ready ) lol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

-7º
Little wind, COLD!!!

We could use more snow. All our fields are nearly bare. It was dry last fall so snow or rain would be welcome. Rain would be best.

-20º overnight, then warming on Wed.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I didn't know there was a weather thread...............I came here to whine. LOL Local temp is -4, but sposed to be lots colder tonight. I think when you get to a certain point it's all relative. Cold is cold is cold, but when you have the blasted wind whipping around yet..........

The Spousal Unit had to thaw out a cattle waterer again tonight.............he's had to thaw them out every morning for the last 2 weeks. We're just hoping that he can keep them going till it straightens out, or we'll have to send the beasts back to the guy that owns them (and that will be a fiasco for the beasts, let me tell you............and no $$ for us either). He's hoping that doesn't happen.

I am SO glad we have wood heat............have an outside wood burner, plus a corn furnace too if there is a problem with the wood one. And if all else fails, an oil burner in the basement as a backup for the other 2.

He has LOTS more wood than that cut ahead!

Thumbnail by Anna_Z Thumbnail by Anna_Z

Quote from CountryGardens :
-7º
It was dry last fall so snow or rain would be welcome. Rain would be best.

Welcome to my world. ;-)

Currently 10 degrees. Will get to 0 tonight. Refused to walk outside without my bibs this morning but this afternoon we reached high teens. Skipped coat and bibs to check mail. lol.

We might have a chance of a couple inches of snow this weekend. I'll take it!! This is the driest winter I ever remember having. I'm used to snow off and on not bare ground more often than not.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

To add to poor Kelli's already dry pictures:
http://earthsky.org/earth/view-from-space-drier-california-this-january

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Good morning weather friends. Sunny and 55° this morning, up to 76° preceding our next cold front coming down, chance of rain later on. Tonight 50°, cold air won't get here till tomorrow night. Alabama is sure colorful on the radar this morning.

Lilypon, I watched the snow blowing, that is just amazing, a snow hurricane...something to see the die hard truckers still driving in it, of course one was pulling into the Flying J.☺

Welcome Anna_Z, nice stack of wood you got there.

Good day and keep warm.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

-7 high of 3 above today , gads ,,
sunny ,
calm wind

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

-15 right now, I guess. Yuck.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

-12º at 7 AM
-6º now.
Above zero this afternoon ?
Have to dig out the shorts if this keeps up.

Once again schools in Twin Cities are closed. Tougher out sate kids are in school.

This morning it was cool and humid enough for there to be dew.

They are calling for a high of 80F today and maybe a little bit of wind. It's pretty still right now.

Updated: 7:51 AM PST on January 28, 2014
Clear
48 °F
Clear
Pressure: 30.10 in (Rising)
Pollen: 8.00 out of 12

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

One thing nice about below zero.
No humidity, dew point, UV. or Pollen to worry about. LOL!

That's true CG. No pollen to worry about.

There was quite a bit a dew on the grass this morning and it was 43F around 6:30AM. They are calling for a high of 80F.

Updated: 7:51 AM PST on January 28, 2014
Clear
48 °F
Clear
Pressure: 30.10 in (Rising)
Pollen: 8.00 out of 12

Outdoor poinsettia is at its peak now. It didn't get the memo that Christmas was a month ago.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Mountain View, HI

Hoorah - they finally got it right. We had light rain overnight and its still raining. First for two weeks. It needs to be light rain to soak into the dry ground, but its cold with a northerly wind. Total grey cloud cover. Probably won't get about 65f today.
Snow on the Mauna kea peaks and forecast of possible thunderstorms this evening and tonight.
Check out "The Jive Aces presents Bring me Sunshine" on youtube. It might cheer you up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.