January 2014 Weather, closer to spring.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Somewhat windy, fire weather warning. In other words, nothing new in the year without a winter.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 6:51 AM PST on January 12, 2014
Clear
58 °F
Clear
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 37 °F
Wind: 7 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 17 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: 8.60 out of 12

I call this one "Down the Rabbit Hole", but that is a shadow, not a hole.

Thumbnail by Kelli
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Currently 57 and the winds have finally died down. It was howling enough that I was trying to figure out what has Mother Nature all upset. lol.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

34°/35°/25°
Today...Colder. Partly sunny. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph in the afternoon.
Tonight...Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of light snow. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 20 mph with gusts to around 25 mph after midnight.

Kelli,
That's an awesome story! I just never thought I'd root for a coyote, LOL!
LOVE the rabbit hole! I wasn't far off with Alice in Wonderland.

Pepper,
LOL! I like howling winds tho because it makes me fel so good to be inside.

But, now I'm going out and fill bird feeders :o)

Nothing new here. Windy, fire warning, they are calling for a high of 76F.

Updated: 6:51 AM PST on January 13, 2014
Clear
61 °F
Clear
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 12 °F
Wind: 15 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 24 mph
Pressure: 30.24 in (Rising)
Pollen: 9.00 out of 12

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

45 Degrees snow melting , intermittent winds about 5-10 ,
Yesterday evening the winds were cold , bitter ..
these 40's 30's are nice after the below zero temperatures a few days ago ,, Really Nice !!!

Still a gray sky ,sun was shining yesterday for a few hours , first and only in a month or more ,, shy old Sol ...

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

;

This message was edited Jan 13, 2014 9:18 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That bad ??? Goodness !

now 42 degrees

Looks like white-out conditions for EB.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Something anyway ,
and Kelli ; I really liked the photo earlier also (I forgot to say )..

Reminds of the Twilight Zone : What appears to be a hole in a grassy field , is really a doorway , to another dimension , a place in space and time , as not as yet understood ,,
This hole that is not there , only is , is a place where you have just stepped into , the Twilight Zone ...lol

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Two postings I took note of

1. There will be a lot of Alberta Clippers and Saskatchewan Screamers hitting the Midwest (ooops but some Americans are happy it will rebuild the snow pack). Sorry ladies......

2. (see #1) ie The Pineapple Express will be hitting Canada (it doesn't belong up here). Sorry Kelli! :S And Vancouver is already drowning.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oh and we are supposed to get nasty, nasty strong winds (see 1 and 2 above).

sigh

This message was edited Jan 14, 2014 12:29 AM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

30°/31°/11°
Today...Windy...Cloudy. Light snow likely in the morning and in the afternoon. Little or no snow accumulation. West wind 15 to 25 mph increasing to northwest 25 to 35 mph in the afternoon. Gusts up to 40 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.
Tonight...Blustery... Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of light snow in the evening. Northwest wind 15 to 25 mph. Gusts up to 35 mph Decreasing to 25 mph after midnight. Wind chill readings to 5 below.

We had a bit of rain this morning and a few cars in the ditch because the roads got slippery. No injuries. I always look at the clock to see if people I know are already at work. Schools around here have a two hour delay.

Lilypon,
We are getting winds right now. I would welcome more snow cover. Most of it melted the other day. Just one year, I'd like to go thru winter with enough snow on the ground to prevent heaving.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

23º
Windy from Lily's direction. St.James airport, 5 miles from us reported 60 MPH overnight.
Very light dusting of snow/ice during the night.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

BillyPorter I went back to see what else was being said and it turns out it is the fellow from Chicago that is happy he will be getting snow out of this (he said his snow pack is down to 1 inch now).

Also looks like BC will miss the extra moisture with the newest map up...they will be ecstatic.

The East will get the next Polar Vortex.

With these changes I really wonder what our spring and summer will be like.

Hey, guess what! (It's an easy guess.) Windy with a fire warning. They're calling for a high of 80F.

Updated: 6:51 AM PST on January 14, 2014
Clear
66 °F
Clear
Humidity: 9%
Dew Point: 6 °F
Wind: 6 mph from the North
Pressure: 30.29 in (Rising)
Pollen: 8.40 out of 12

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

and Kelli's post is about what I also read. Summer temps for areas of California.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Wednesday is forecasted to have high winds and gusts here so I imagine it will be Friday that you folks will really get it.

After that a number of days here and there are showing higher winds then normal (but so far not as bad as what Wednesday is showing).

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice to see you again BillyPorter.
Kelli the "Rabbit Hole" is a great photo.

Woke up to rain this morning, a bit more on the way as a cold front comes through today, the first of two this week. Although the cold and wind won't hit us until tomorrow.

Today 64°/75°/50° Thunderstorms through 1PM, then sunny.

Two of my kitties bundling up together to keep warm.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie,
Except for really bad storms, like straight line winds we usually don't go much over 35 mph. I'm kind of glad. I went out a little while ago and the noise of the wind is fantastic!

Lilypon,
Laughing, I hear him!
Since the sun changed polarity, I'm interested in how things might change this year.
You're right. Friday will be blustery and much colder here.

Kelli,
LOL!!

Thanks Sunkissed!
This last year was extrememly busy. Mostly because of having Grandkids :o)
Beautiful, sweet kitties! My two boys won't lay together :o(

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

My bedroom is in the NW corner of our house.
We usually can't hear a car pull in the yard. But I could hear the wind blowing through the groove real easy.
It has died down some now.
21º

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

43 Earlier 39 now

4% humidity, windy, driest brush I have ever seen. If there is a fire, it's bound to be a bad one.

Israel has pretty much the same climate as I do. I can see why Baal, the storm god, was so popular.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Currently 35 and dark. Wind was blowing pretty good today but not as bad as the other day.

Still smelling smoke and having ashes land on everything from neighbors clearing land at end of road.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Bernie, we ended up with over 7" plus. Hard to tell with the way the wind was blowing.
Very wet and heavy. Should help with the moisture problem.
Our son who lives 18 miles from us ended up with 12". go figure?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

9º this morning.

Glad you had a nice snow. Let's hope this pattern lasts until spring so we get decent rains.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

12°/19°/19°
Today...Colder. Mostly sunny. High around 19. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Wind chill readings to 5 below.
Tonight...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of light snow. Low around 19. Southwest wind 10 to 20 mph with gusts to around 25 mph.

Bernie,
I have to admit I like to hear the wind howl.

Kelli,
Love the picture!
There is very little color isn't there. I hope all of us so low on rain get some his year. Israel, cool!

Pepper,
I used to love the smell of smoke before I quit smoking. Now I practically panic if I have to breath any.

Hi Maxine,
It is funny how moisture has an edge where it ends :o)

Bernie,
You aren't nuch colder than me.

Have a good day all!

Today is pretty much a Xerox copy of yesterday, windy, hot, fire warning, yadda, yadda, yadda.

This sad little bush is purple sage. It is drought deciduous. It loses leaves in response to drought. In a normal rain year it would be all leafed out by now.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Did see a wildflower yesterday. This is white chaparral currant.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

21 now, 9 wind chill, light snow ,
Nice flowers , you drought , us snow , The rare bloom ...

[quote="Kelli"}

This sad little bush is purple sage. It is drought deciduous. It loses leaves in response to drought. In a normal rain year it would be all leafed out by now.

[/quote]

I shouldn't have said 'normal'. There is no normal winter weather here. The average rain is 16 inches but we usually get more or less of that amount.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Lots of damage being reported in different areas of Alberta and Saskatchewan. Semi trucks are being tipped, cell towers down, and Saskatoon is reporting lots of power lines down.

5C now

Wind warning in effect.

Today, 15 January
Mainly sunny. Wind west 40 mph gusting to 62 mph. High plus 41F with temperature falling to 28F this afternoon.

Too hot, dry, and windy

Updated: 12:51 PM PST on January 15, 2014
Clear
86 °F
Clear
Humidity: 7%
Dew Point: 13 °F
Wind: 17 mph from the NNE
Wind Gust: 22 mph
Pressure: 30.12 in (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Pollen: 8.60 out of 12

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Edmonton had 75 mph wind gusts (hurricane strength) earlier today.

The winds had almost disappeared here earlier but we sure had a breezy *cough* blast just go through.

Major changes coming on the heels of this....we should be staying well above normal temps for a couple of weeks. However others won't be (Easterners in Canada aren't too pleased).

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

and they predicted we'd hit 70 mph gust speeds and I think we probably did.

We had 70 or 75 mph gusts one time and it blew some of the shingle material off of the porch roof.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you for the reminder Kelli :) ...we will have to look at ours tomorrow (no one is heading out now :S)

The wind is howling out there!!!

Lily, I get your wind tomorrow. I don't want it. lol

We are in a drought here also. Not enough snow cover and not enough rain in summer months. We are 'abnormally dry' according to experts.

High around 33 today and sunny.

Mountain View, HI

3.30pm - 78f and humid, cloudy and just had a few spots of rain. very little wind. Miss the cool 60s of last week. No real weather forecast. Light trades or variable winds. Low to mid 60s at night, mid to upper 70s during the day. Need some rain. Surfs up 20+ ft along Oahu's north shore. Everyone in neighbor hood is doing yard work.

VOG was bad yesterday. With the light winds that smoke from the volcano just hangs and drifts down slope in the light westerlies. The sun glows orangy brown through the haze. With the clouds above the VOG it looks like a Maxfield Parrish painting

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

27°/35°/5°
Today...Windy. Mostly cloudy. A chance of snow showers in the morning...Then snow showers likely in the afternoon. Little or no snow accumulation. West wind 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 60 percent.
Tonight...Windy... Cloudy. A chance of snow showers in the evening...Then scattered flurries after midnight. Northwest wind 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 40 percent. Wind chill readings to 15 below.

Kelli,
I hope your weather doesn't become mine :o(
The purple sage is sad but the current is beautiful!

Oh Lilypon,
That sounds bad!! Tipping cell phone towers can't be easy.
(no one is heading out now :S) made me smile.

Pepper,
Ditto here. The moisture just dries up.

Microb,
The surf is something since it's nothing we have. Hard to get a rise out of the Mississippi, LOL!
I hope the smoke isn't too bad. Does it seep into the house? is there anyplace to be to not breath it?

Spring is coming so hold on!

Same as yesterday. I don't know how it can be so hot this time of year.

This has got to be a record high for this time of day at this time of year.

Updated: 5:51 AM PST on January 16, 2014
Clear
69 °F
Clear
Humidity: 8%
Dew Point: 4 °F
Wind: 16 mph from the North
Pressure: 30.09 in (Rising)
Pollen: 8.50 out of 12