December Weather Start of winter or -

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

23º
We had a little snow, maybe 3".
Twin Cities got 5", listening to the news, you would think it was blizzard of the century.
Now for the next week we will freeze to death, at least that's what the weather liars would like you to believe. Going clear down to -8º.
Oh, well!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL Bernie!!

We are down to 27 now, was close to 50 this morning. Temps will keep going down for the next several days. Won't get as cold as Bernie but will be close. Flurries on way.

It is 68 now.The low tonight is 64.

The rain moves in tomorrow.Its suppost to be in the mid 60's for the high tomorrow.I am sure it will start turning cold by the evening.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Those Houston folks wanting cold are just thinkin about the bugs in the Bug Thicket. If they got cold they would have no electrical and the place would literally be Katy Bar the Door! The thievin that would Happen with no elect- water- etc. WHY you ask? Ancient rotten electrical and transformers rotted by 90%+ constant humidity- water lines that never knew such a thing as a frost depth? Is that the proper term for depth of freeze in ground? Ummm. These guys barely ever keep a windbreaker for a winter coat. The guys accustomed to 100* days would be frozen to death. Sheesh. They forget that what THEY want when they ask, probably isn't what they would get! Chuckl. Better they pack and go tourist to get their cold. 61* in Indy, so far. Hoping to get gone before the mess hits here, this Kenworth is NOT my idea of a cold weather truck either...

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

What's a Kentworth Kittriana?

And you are right a number of Houstonians wanted to get rid of bugs but a number wanted snow. Don't think they had an inkling way back when of how this winter would set up and that they'd get almost a direct blast from up here.

Freezing rain and nasty cold however, as you pointed out above, is also what they are risking when they plead for my cold.

It won't get as cold here as they originally forecasted (by the looks of it) but Southern Alberta is going to go much colder than they normally do (ie they are getting more of a Saskatchewan blast) and that is going to head, in a round and about way, to Texas (via of course by Kelli as her post suggests). McFarlene (sp?) is what they call it I believe.

I hope you are headed to warmer climes or have a very good generator.

We are darn cold (for this time of year) and it will be sticking around for a while (even with us sharing).

This message was edited Dec 4, 2013 10:59 PM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Kenworth, slang KWhop. Cummins motor, Eaton Fuller tranny- standard wearher 2009 18 wheeler, chuckl. Those kids in Montana are mostly new drivers, will learn how to do more than put their foot on the fuel peddle, bump the governor and steer til the sun goes down and their solar powered trucks freeze for the night. Chuckl. They have my sympathies- most of em are city kids who have never done anything more than run the joystix for online games. SO no background to fall back on. Diesel is all mostly number #2, hard to find #1 If they know how to blend it and dont relie on the bottled fuel additives to keep them from gellin up. Still have to go look some stuff up. Temps dropped when the little front blew in but 47* was reading when I parked at Effingham, Ill. Chuckl. I know why I dont like the cold, have already been frostbit if you ask my toes and fingers!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

and Juhur I am so sorry to read of your areas trials and tribulations lately. Those storms are beyond terrifying. Hopefully this latest outbreak won't be a repeat.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

It got down to 35F last night. They are calling for a high of 57F. If we' get some clouds and rain, it would be Christmas-y.

My peeps on another web site loved this picture. This is City of Rocks, NM. It was breezy and probably around 60F that day.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's a great shot, Kelli.

Our temp has already dropped 20 degrees since I got up this morning.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Woke to 30* and freezing drizzle, but thhe drizzle lasted only an hour or so. Time to run, but Lilly? This is a company, non driver friendly KWhopper

Thumbnail by kittriana
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

5º Earlier, now 8º

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

21°/1°/9°
Today...Blustery. Much colder. Mostly cloudy. High in the lower 20s. Northwest wind 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 30 mph. Wind chill readings to zero.
Tonight...Colder. Mostly cloudy in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Low around 9. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Wind chill readings to 5 below.

It was cold this morning! It dropped to 19° right after sun-up. It's not bad now.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Lovely capture Kelli!

Thank you for the pic kittriana ... were you a trucker in Montana at one time?

Readin your post re trucks and diesel and freezing in Montana I must say I'm very happy my son is home right now. Northern Alberta hit the -40's and he is a well site geo who is also very grateful he is no longer there (well until the beginning of January anyways). He will also be picking up a longer extension cord...last well he couldn't plug his vehicle in since he had to park it so far away from any power source. He really felt hard done by at that well...his vehicle was cold (thankfully not diesel), his shack was furthest away from the drill site and there were wolves that liked to sit up on the berm behind his shack. They reminded him of vultures! ;o)

Luckily that drill ended just after the cold front moved in and he missed travelling in the blizzard.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Really enjoy the rock city here also . I have been to see some of those years ago , summer it was ,and hot ,hot, hot . ...lol

Winter Storm Warning ; now until Friday midnight .
A storm band from Dallas Tx to Evansville In It's a long tall storm ,, wow,, that is a long ,long . storm ..
I can deal with the snow and ice , the below zero temperatures , are another story ,, Icky , icky .. 36F/ 2C WITH 26F degree wind chill .

They're calling for lows in the 20s tonight in the coldest parts of the Valley.

It was in the 60's this morning.Then by noon it started dropping down to the 40's.It is 46 now with misty rain and cold.For the low tonight is 42.

We didn't even get a dusting here today. Calling for a dusting tomorrow when the monster storm shifts north some. We'll see.

Was in the low teens when I woke up this morning and is now only 18 degrees. Very bitter out. I wore coveralls to work today. Got some funny looks but they kept me warm since I was in and out all day cutting trees and spotting for the forklift.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I drive 48 states still- the late 80's were a lot colder than these last years have been. Am sittin just south of Little Rock, Ark now. Ran freezing rain and sleet for 2.5 hrs accumulated to abt 3"-4" slush by time I crossed the Mississippi into Missouri at Cairo, Ill. Temps are still holdimg 36* so far and the rain has started again. Am trying to find a source of RELIABLE road info, but this is Arkansas and weather is mostly un reliable here. We feel the new systems blow thru every 2 to 3 days and they are most noticeable in cold weather. Back to work I have 3 more hours to work with if I choose to utilize that option. Tomoro will be the problem.

Pepper sounds like you was freezing today.Hey if they kept you warm,then thats all that matters.

Everyone drive safe in this weather!!!

That's how I felt too. I was warm everywhere except face and if I was out for some time then the tips of my fingers would start to hurt even in the thick gloves. Such is life in winter time!! lol

Now if the snow would come here instead of south and east I'll be a happy camper!! lol

Wow Pepper,try to stay warm tomorrow.Thats bad your fingers hurt even wearing thick gloves.

I don't want it to snow here.Just being cold is bad enough.Course we are lucky,it doesn't hardly snow here.Lol!!!

This message was edited Dec 5, 2013 9:35 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

My thermometer says -1º right now.

Drove to Albert Lea today. NW wind pushed me along so didn't take much gas.
Gas was $2.929 there. Filled up, only took 9.6 gallons, shucks.

Gas here is $2.82.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

25F ) --4C / 12F/ -11C degree wind chill.. snowing , winter storm /1st round .

This pic is showing icy /sleet mush , slush , it might actually turn to snow later

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

kittriana I think you should take some calls up in Western Canada...we are brutally cold but you won't find rain or snow here now and we've taken care of the ice from the freezing rain we had earlier.

A few posts off my FB page. We are not warming up...bad news for us worse news for those below us!!!

"Lethbridge still in the Windchill warning at this hour!! Usually the westerly winds bring warm temps not this time at 9:30 you had a windchill of -46

This is an outrage Ulukhaktok Northwest Territories is warmer then Brooks"

and

"Good grief! Make it stop! Temperature: -27 F (-33 C) Windchill: -49 F (-45 C) right now at 11:31pm (5DEC2013) in Regina. Sorry I'm just whining.. my hand froze instantly to my garage side door. Ouch."

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Weather cast says 24 F temperature , my thermometer says 12 degrees.
Only a little more snow .. not as much so far as expected ..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Lilypon I forgot ,, Has a way of reminding you about kids putting the tongue on a ice cube tray . (the hand )
It was 36 below back at the end of the 1980's here, I had to walk in that with almost a 40 mph wind . I forget as to why , these days it would be too bad ... no way ...
It froze my facial hair off , after only 5 minutes ..
I'm thinking the early explorers of the polar regions had really tough hair , every time I see the old photos...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I think they were just a tough breed all around. Must've been to even attempt those explorations. Ugh.

Kelli, I hope the citrus crops don't sustain much damage.

Cats went out and cats came right back in. :)

Everyone stay safe!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

2 hour delay for schools here this morning
Weather says 25F but it is colder folks ,16F wind chill ..

Not much snow , more like a frozen rain half-event , frozen slush rained straight down all night . As before , frozen wet muck , we will see later after round 2 gets here ,
icky , yicky , yucky , weather here folks...

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Mornin Ju and Lilly. Forecasters put their thermometers in places that are protected for some reason- protected from sun in summer, and protected from cold in winter. I have that on the best authority of my little brother whom was a weatherman for the navy in his youth. Now hes an electrician. Am lookin at stubborn cold sittin over Dallas this mornin, rain and 34* here still tho outside of the DFW metroplex. I have to change out the buckets catchin water in my truck before Before I head on into the city. The late 80's Ju had BAD ice storms even in Dallas area for like 22days. Telephone poles saturated and snapped, gas rationed,

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

-7º
Tuff Minnesota people going about their business. Only 1 school starting late.

It only takes a day or two to adapt to winter weather. Still colder to come this year, I am sure.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Mn is cold cold. Texas is soft cold. Different roads and type of precip.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The only problems with the roads is people driving to fast. Don't matter if here or Texas.
I was out & about yesterday.
Some icy roads, but 40MPH & got along fine.
50MPH probably would have been in a ditch waiting for tow truck!

It was 34F at the house this morning. That's about as cold as it get here. They are calling for a high of 58F. 70% chance of rain tomorrow. It had been 90%, so we'll see.

A couple weeks ago, the Very Large Array in New Mexico. At 7,000 ft elevation and in November, it was the very chilly array, too.

Thumbnail by Kelli Thumbnail by Kelli

It is 38° now,with a wind chill of 30.Brrrr!!!

Tonight will be in the 20's.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2013 9:41 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

22/10 28 now , wind chill 18 .. weather cast missed a bit once again. CG &Kitt ; Last years school bus slide offs , there had been several . Makes that all decide with caution . What the Indiana has in common with Texas , is it get muddy , slightest thaw , and poof , conditions get bad ,real fast .. Up north in Minnesota you all ,well the weather usually saves that for spring ..

Kelli Went to the observatory .. ? sun spots ? E.T.? Listening to solar wind in digital , or the next great Asteroid search ?

Southgal .. It's all cold .. I like ,it's all good . as a better expression .. anyway .. it's cold ! lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It's snowing again here , still says 28 degrees -2 C

pic so far ..

Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

27* across Dallas. No snow. Was several inches of sleet and freezing rain. Didnt take pictures of the ice logs on the overpasses- but they were an avg of 12" hi spaced 8" apart. Little cars were getting stuck in them. It is ice with running water under a lot of it, - reminds me a lot of the ice storms we had here in the late 80's. You are wrong CG. There are MANY kinds of ice, Mn doesnt have the humidity and fluctuating geographical temps. No one is trying to drive faster than 3 to 15mph- and I 20 is in better shape than several of the other roads north of it.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Don't worry. We have had our share of ice.
One winter even the gravel roads were a skating rink. The ice stayed for over a month!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I have been on Mn roads- from International Falls and across and down- heard the thunder snows and crack ice off my truck. Love the folks up in northern Mn and Dakotas, chuckl. But I dread Tx roads in ice- not the idiot 4wheelers out playing bumper cars, or lack of road treatments, I just dread the roads more. I keep my northern longhandles clean and ready.The humidity is high here and it can be felt.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.