Winter time for the Brugs

Hamilton, OH

I am so not a Fan of winter, but in a way, Growing these Beauty's you get a Rest, from Dragging the water Hose around, The sad part is that you won't get to see those Great Flushes.
But then you have Spring to look forward to. So it's all Good

Elizabeth

Thumbnail by plantlover49
Hamilton, OH

Good Morning
Back to making Breakfast, Hubby is on Strike, I am totally De Cluttering my attic, to make room for Plants up there, I have 3 Good windows, I can use, my DH threw a fit when I wanted to put replacement windows up there, I am so glad I did, goes with the rest of the house windows
Looks a lot better than what was up there when we moved here
Well Break time is Over back to work

Elizabeth

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1332702/
Came from this page to THIS page......
Oh, yes. I am already looking for Spring and new growth. It is early, so don't know if we will have an easy or a hard winter. Any kind of cold is too much....
You all have a great day.....
Charleen

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi guys,mi just got back, we had another day of buying paints, lights, and another toilet for the third bathroom.. Been gone since 10:00 AM...

Charlene, I did water the ones in the ground a lot.. That's probably why they keep dying. When do you stop watering altogether. Mine are all still outdoors, the knees on pots and the one I left in the ground . I am hoping some of the work gets done before the first frost, in mid November I think. I wrapped lots of blankets in a circle all around all the potted plants until then.

I'm looking forward to spring too. I'll keep a watch on what you guys do and when we need to first fertilize. I think once I get the hang of it, I can keep these alive.

I started a lot of cuttings last year of all mine, but only one or two cuttings of each made it through the winter so I'm worried regarding all my trades. Mi thank you both for sending me some rooted ones, otherwise I don't see roots yet, some have leaves starting and a couple have quite a few leaves. The rooted ones look good, I think they would do better outside but it's too much of a workload for me to take them out each day with the crew that's here. It seems they are everywhere, inside and outside.

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

A few more photos, the bath in the master area.. The door is just put in place to make sure it fits. Just need lights over sinks, staing all doors, there are four more doors and frames that need dosing and hung.

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Long Beach, CA

Elizabeth ~ I do not envy the back and forth thing with the plants. I almost had a nervous brake down when I had to cut Dr Seuss back.... thought I was going to pass out! This is my first year truly growing brugs so I am excited to see what they do over the winter.

Charleen ~ I am with you. Cold sucks. I knees do not like it at all.

Antoinette ~ Are you doing the work yourself? The picts look great. The bathroom looks very promising. Hope all your cuttings are doing well.

Rhapsody

I think you all well and truly earn a Winter rest after all that hard work !
A time to think about and dream of Spring.

chrissy

Hamilton, OH

Good Morning Everyone
Antoinette, Thank you for posting your Beautiful Home, it's going to be Stunning when all the work is done
Charleen, Thank you for posting the link
Raps, I am getting a Much needed rest, I have been growing Brugs since 2001
Chrissy
it's always a Treat when you pop in, I hope all is going well with you
I know what you mean, I have already pulled my plant books out, now to draw my Garden plans
my Garden is always a work in progress

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you guys and good morning.

Raps, no, we aren't doing the work ourselves, we just have quite a few rooms being worked on at the same time, DH and I do all the buying of everything, if not not running around getting tile, paint, toilet parts, outside paint, feeding pets, then DH picks up where I can't to deal with electricians, heating and sir guys.. Etc. the contractor also us very good so he and his guys are doing a great job, I bring the ideas up, and they try to get them done.

Did anyone notice that we used staineless steel sinks that go into kitchens, in the vanity? They are nice and deep, yo wash off the gardeners mud.. Lol, and we got those sprayers too. I think they are more functional. At first DH and the contractor depth ought I was nuts, then I had to convince the countertop guy to make it that way. This is the first time they do ths and still think I'm a nut. Lol

I love the size and functionality of them. I think it is because I fed the Sulcatas and used my bathroom to get their water sometimes. Now we only have the 15 box turtles, but we were -at 45 turtles, five were those giants, and three were in 55gallon water tanks. Too much work for us and that is where I learned how much better kitchen sinks would be in the bathrooms. Lol

I rescue Turtles and find them homes. Just when I get back down to a decent number, my girls lay eggs. Lol, I love the babies and bring them indoors for about a year then they go outside for life or to new homes,. I don't gave any to find homes for now, but I saw two clutches of eggs two months ago. So I'm sure in spring some babies will come out to soak.

They are the cutest babies, I love those faces.

A.

Long Beach, CA

Antoinette ~ recuse turtles. I knew I like you for a reason. You have a good heart. It is just mean that baby just about everything are so cute. It insures their survival because suckers like us take such good care of them. LOL

Gourd, I hope you show us pictures of the baby turtles. I would love to see them. Here is a turtle I did for a friend. Also a horse and brugs from earlier in eason. See the tortoise is htaching out of an egg. ??
I wanted to be sure everyone could follow us Elizabeth. I have lost my Australia folks a couple of time and they leave me CRUMBs to follow. so I made you CRUMBS...
Rhap, Artritus and cold don't do good together, do they???
Have a good one, Chrissy , we love having you pop in...
Love and hugs
Charleen

Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Hamilton, OH

Good Evening everyone
well as I was moving stuff from storage to my Garage, a piece of slate from a table fell naturally it had to land on my foot, so I'll be hobbling for a couple days I am Spring Cleaning
it makes the thought of Spring seem closer
Plus I am seriously De Cluttering, I have given so many things away, I don't even miss them, I want to see my base boards, & a clear path.
there's so many things that we don't need, Plants not being one of them.
Charleen
Thank you again for posting the new link
Elizabeth

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Well I took about 8 cuttings from a 9' brug and they are rooting like mad in a small bucket of water! Also started a few seeds that finally sprouted.

Hamilton, OH

Tommyr
Good for you, wow 9ft that's a big one, Glad your Seeds are sprouting for you, I really don't have any luck with Seeds, my Best Friend is Great with Seeds

Elizabeth

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh Charlene, you did an outstanding job portraying a baby tortoise..

My photos are on my flickr here, I have several sets of photos, they are under pets here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40386602@N02/sets/72157621531110509/

I don't have any photos of them on this iPad. They are the best innocent faces you'll ever see.

Oh, Gourd, it is a great turtle paradise. I love it. I have some Monster deed pods if you want them. I'd rather have plants than seeds. I'm terrible with seeds...Once in awhile I get lucky. but just don't care for them. My Misty Pink has Pods too. Let me know...
Elizabeth I'm cleaning bedroom closet ,what lot of wasted space I had. Still got to do my craft room. Got clothes tossed into bag for Goodwill too...Mostly jackets we don't wear.
Gourd what kind of turtles are they??? We have terrapins here, paintled turtles but I just let them go on. Love them tho...
Take care all....
Charleen and critters

Mesilla Park, NM

I have now, 15 box turtles, we had between myself and my son 10 African spurred tortoise Sulcatas, the huge ones.. Lol. I found homes for the water sliders and mud turtles. Poor babies, folks don't realize how long they live and need your help and committment for the next 50 years.

Hamilton, OH

Good afternoon
I love turtles also, I saved a Box turtle, from getting ran over, he was crossing a State Rt, 129 is also the street I live on.
Charleen
I just got 2 Bags filled up, called the Place where I donate to, they pick them up, if they're in the yellow bags they give you, I still have more clothes to go through.
I just fed the Fur Babies their Bone, naturally Mattie the Girl had to give me a Hug.
so I guess we're Both Spring Cleaning.
I was just invited to give out candy next door, it should be Fun

Elizabeth

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Elizabeth,
Seeds take forever but I soak them overnight first then plant a couple per pot and keep the strongest on after they get a decent size. Cuttings are SO MUCH easier!

Hamilton, OH

tommyr
my Friend is the Best at any kind of Seeds, you're right about the cuttings, I did get some Cherimoya seed to take root, if only they make it during the winter months, I'll be a happy camper

Elizabeth

Tommy, I am the same way. Love the plants. Instant Gratifcation....
I do have some pictures i took this morning.
You can see Monster's frosted leaves but also check out those blooms, and chickens
the pink is one called CottonCandy named by Kenboy. It is a nice small bloom with perky petals and tendrils... Also have a yellow iris blooming. Versa Peach. always so pretty.
You all have great day.
Hugs and nuzzles
Charleen and critters

Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Mesilla Park, NM

Good morning guys..

Charlene, I'd love some seeds.. Anything you can save for me will be appreciated. I'm gathering lots of hardy hibiscus seeds, would you like some of those? I'm getting pretty excited about spring and looking forward to blooms from everyone's cuttings. I'm not good at rooting in fall/winter. Darn.

Char you gave some really nice blooms there.

Elizabeth, I asked DH to get candy for me.. Lol. I live sweets. Even though I drink diets sodas., there's nothing like real sugar in a chocolate bar.. I also have rep bags of donations in my car. After these guys are done, I'll go through my closet and get rid of more clothes. I sew, quilt, so I have pieces of fabric that I would rather give all my clothes away than my fabric.. Lol

Mesilla Park, NM

Here's what I have going indoors this am. Cypress Gardens indoors, my ee is taller than me in that last photo, they are really slowing down now that it us cooler.

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Hamilton, OH

Good afternoon Everyone
I am on a down sizing, uncluttering, thing, I have 5 Bags of clothes, waiting to be Picked up, by Thursday I know there will be a bunch more, I took Pic's of the poor Castors Beans, also some other things. Everyone's Pic's are really Pretty, Keep posting those Beauty's, the 4th Pic is of my Fig tree after the Frost

Elizabeth

Thumbnail by plantlover49 Thumbnail by plantlover49 Thumbnail by plantlover49 Thumbnail by plantlover49 Thumbnail by plantlover49
Hamilton, OH

Here are some more, the Rose is up against the Garage, Antoinette these are the Prickly Pear that you sent me, the other Pot is a Datura still going strong after the Frost

Elizabeth

Thumbnail by plantlover49 Thumbnail by plantlover49 Thumbnail by plantlover49
Mesilla Park, NM

Oh, that fig tree sure looks good, we put one in a few months ago, it lost all it's leaves and the fruits it had, but it got new leaves in a couple of weeks. I sure do want more of an edible yard. I think I've got two dozen grapes maybe six types.. I can hardly wait till next year. I just put several grapes next to the arches here. Man I want some grapes to munch on and the turtles love grapes too.

Do either of you guys know how to root grapes? I want to try it this year.

A.

Hamilton, OH

Antoinette
I wish I knew how to help with the Grape's never tried to root them, that Fig Tree, this year ha about 50-100 Figs on it, the other fig didn't have very many, I planted 2 more, we Love them
wouldn't you root them the same as you would any other Hard wood cuttings
I can't believe it will be Thanksgiving soon, that's why I am really working on Getting the House Ready, so my Girls & the Grands enjoy the Dinner, Hubby & I both Cook, but the Dishes I always do

ElizaBETH

Mesilla Park, NM

No dishes for me thus time, paper plates, I don't know if the kitchen will be ready by then.

We spend the day together, grand kids too, eat, then they take breaks, so we all head fir Black Friday sales. What's neat us that my son will sit in line for me for hours , then I show up and take his spot, they go to other stores and so do we. Even if we don't get anything on our list, we have each other for hous laughing , freezing.. Lol

Hamilton, OH

Antoinette
I did that one time, to get my youngest DD a lap to, I swear, my hair was frozen, now I just go to Bed Bath & Beyond, the next day, they have some Great sales plus when you get there you get a coupon for 20% off your entire purchase

Elizabeth

Mesilla Park, NM

That's probably what I should do. I may just stay home and sleep. I have to get DH an iPad..he loves mine. Maybe I'll get the kids to get him one for me. But, I'm really looking forward to getting my house back. All we have right now is access to the living room, then the bedrooms after they leave for the day. So it's outside for me most of the day, the dust just kills my sinuses..

Hamilton, OH

Antoinette
that's what I felt like when those guys were doing my floors, I have to get get you some Pic's of the rooms now, is it still warm there, it's kinda of cold here, it's suppose to warm up, I am still waiting for that to happen, I will be so Glad for you when you do get your house back

Elizabeth

Hamilton, OH

Antoinette
here's what the Rooms look like now

Elizabeth

Thumbnail by plantlover49 Thumbnail by plantlover49 Thumbnail by plantlover49 Thumbnail by plantlover49 Thumbnail by plantlover49
Hamilton, OH

Just one more

Elizabeth

Thumbnail by plantlover49

They are beautiful floors. You are going to love them when they are finished. Antoinette you want me to send you a Brug pod of seeds theN???? I sure will. I'll get you a Misty pink too, got some of those stems turning yellow...
I never realized how much I liked throwing stuff away and putting into bag for goodwill. I'm not done yet either...
take care you all.
charleen

Brownstown, IN

Very pretty Elizabeth,
Looks like Better Homes and Gardens to me!

Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

Elizabeth, they came out gorgeous ,, ditto everyone. I love wood also. Very nice!

Char, I would love some seeds of each.. Let me know if I can send you some seeds back, but I think I have to wait another week before I send out. I just got four packages out yesterday and put the seed box away..lol. I need to get it back out before it gets buried.

Hamilton, OH

Karen
it's so Good to see you, Thank you, I am liking it more every day, see the Extra Bed well, I keep it nice just in case you get to come over.
Charleen
it's a good feeling getting rid of extra things that you don't need
Antoinette
I be so glad for you when your home is done, I just knew those Floors would be Beautiful

Elizabeth

Hamilton, OH

Blooming Brugs in the Basement, went down to finish up the laundry, Look what I found, I pretty sure it's Pink Perfection

Elizabeth

Thumbnail by plantlover49 Thumbnail by plantlover49 Thumbnail by plantlover49
Mesilla Park, NM

I'll bet they smell great.. I love that pink!

Hamilton, OH

Good Morning Antoinette
that's a Good pink, I have another one Blooming, it's really light, I'll post it later, I'll have to see if there's any Fragrance, it's in the Back, I have a table top fountain, that I have to hook up, it's so cute
Lowes had their 90% Sales so I got a bunch of Plants I had been wanting, but they go outside
I am putting them in the GH for the winter, they should do well

Elizabeth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.