What's coming for winter?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot and humid. Will be even worse tomorrow.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Pleasant. Rain expected tomorrow night.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

68F right now (3AM).
Still a bit hot in mid afternoon but definitely heading in the right direction.
(Thank you, Lily!)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Loud thunder and lots of lightning ,
Raining steady and hard .
66 degrees
Visibility 1 mi.
94 % humidity
wind 10 mi with gusts .

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

They're calling for a high of 88F today.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

It's cloudy here today, but I'm happy anyhow because it is currently only 76F. Yay!
Our projected high today is 85F. At 8AM this morning when I opened the door to let the cat in, the air outside was 'nippy'. Not cold but just with a hint of chill. It was nice.

Kelli: It sounds like your weather has improved a lot. It wasn't that long ago that you were reporting triple digits. Congrats. I'm happy for you & hope it drops even lower soon.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Still raining here now , it has not quit since last night ,
72 degrees
83 was forecast for today's high , no chance of that here now .
Heavy fall , summer humid feel to the air , light breeze makes it wonderful .

My plants are not baking anymore ^_^

Very hot and dry,in the upper 90's.

Oh my!!Am i dreaming,someone pinch me.It is raining!!!!

This message was edited Sep 19, 2013 8:30 PM

We were in the lower 90s for a high today with sunshine. Now we have a storm coming in with strong winds and colder temps. Our highs tomorrow will barely crack 70.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Your very welcome DreamsofSpring....wish we were as happy *sigh*

My weather app is currently flashing a nasty white lightning bolt surrounded by red....

FROST WARNING Temperature currently +2 (at Canadian Forces Base Moose Jaw).

It won't freeze at my house but I've hauled all my tropical plants into the greenhouse and turned the heater on and covered my annuals...we have a number of weeks of nice weather in our future and I plan on still having my plants to enjoy (not often warm evenings continue after frost).

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Geez...talk about up and down weather reports...reminds me of that song, "It's like a YO-YO"

Was 69° this morning...felt good. Up to 88 today.

It is still raining and it is great.In the high upper 70's to low 80's.It can't get any better then this!!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Raining and 70's here..
humid , light breeze . warmth of summer with a hint of fall in the air ..

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

southgal, I'm so happy that you finally got rain. I could just hear the joy in your earlier post, & it's there still. Happy to celebrate with you.

Lilypon, Sorry you are having bad weather. It sounds like you are at least well prepared & have a good plan for dealing with the cold. I had actually begun to think that you rather appreciated if not even enjoyed the cold weather. It does have a certain icy beauty, if one can get past the chill - and the price, as I'm guessing it must cost an arm & 2 legs to stay warm at your latitude. Or maybe, as with handling snow, you folks just have secrets for staying warm, things we don't know about down here.

We had a lovely, sunny day today, upper 80's F, but that's not too bad. I believe the weather guy has forecast more rain & possibly tstorms for us this weekend.

Thanks DreamofSpring!!Yeah it has been raining since last night.We really needed it.I hope it keeps on raining through the night as well.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

We had a lot of needed soft rain all day yesterday... it has probably spurred my summer squash into more production!

Strong storms last night with about an inch to two inches of rain.

Today it was cloudy and windy this morning but cleared and calmed down this afternoon. Temps only reached mid 60s for high.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Happy Fall Ya All! A cold front coming down, supposed to rain good later on, but still hot now, too bad it is going to stall out over us. So no fall weather here just yet. 88° the predicted high today.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It rained 6" here yesterday. Down into the 50s last night and cool today. But sunny. Lovely.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

46 degrees this morning .
Same 41 and possible frost forecast tomorrow morning ,
early for that as of yet .
Nice sunny day , Happy first day of Fall to all of you here also ..

Mountain View, HI

No change in the weather here. A few more showers at night. Ground is now damp, not dusty dry and not muddy. Just right. Forecast for the next week is more of the same - light tradewind breezes, some showers, some cloud, around 80f during the day, high 60's at night. Just the right weather for gardening.
Trimmed the gingers this morning. May clean some more ponds this afternoon. 31 ponds around the garden and forest trails. Plenty of surface weed to dredge out so we can see the water and plenty of trimming and thinning needed of pond side plants. Plenty of bullfrogs.
Must stop chatting as this is not my blog.

Thumbnail by microb

The weather was lovely today.High only in the upper 70's.This morning was cool,went around turning off fans.LOL!!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sunny, windy, high of 75º.
Real nice fall day.

All the indications around here are for a hard, cold, dismal winter. We haven't had one in a few years.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

made it to 72
66 now

Winter is winter to me ; it is always too darn cold !!!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Was at least 56F this morning. They were calling for a high of 81F but I think it got a little hotter than that.

Low 80s for high today. Sunny and had a breeze. Felt good in the shade but a little warm in the sun. lol

Today was in the high 80's to low 90's.Tonight will be in the 60's.

Mid 70s, sunshine and a stiff breeze. Pretty much a perfect day.

This morning was in the low 60's.Today was in the low 90's.

High 70s with dense fog til late morning. Then the sun came out and made a perfect day!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Low 55º, High of 84º.
Sunny & pleasant today.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Low 54°, High 79° - partly cloudy in the morning, sunny in the afternoon, very pleasant.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

darius,

I can see that you are primarily interested in the forecast for winter. I just don't have any idea how to answer that question. Heck, even trained meteorologists with access to satellite data cannot reliably predict the weather beyond a few days. (I'm curious how Almanacs do it.)

For example, living here on the coast, hurricanes are my biggest weather worry. Early each summer I listen with trepidation for the official prediction of hurricane season severity for the Atlantic, information that comes from the top minds in the field - and almost every year they get it totally wrong. Several times in recent years they predicted a very active hurricane season, and we actually had virtually no activity at all. Then one year they predicted very little activity, and we went on to have one of the most active years ever. Statistically speaking, they would get better results if they just flipped a coin.

I'm curious. Is your prediction of a severe winter based on specific signs, or is it just a 'feeling'? I don't devalue information that is based on 'just a feeling', btw, since that is basically how the right brain communicates information. Right brain information is equally valid, even if our left-brain dominant society often fails to realize it.

Ok, I decided to go with the coin flip method. My coin predicted a mild winter. I'm not sure if that's countrywide or specific to my area though.

Partly "feeling" and partly signs the old-timers around here notice.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Currently 46F and heading up to a toasty 50F (under heavy cloud cover)

Lots and lots of rain in forecast (praying it doesn't pan out).

Have a couple of mets now on my FB page. I keep telling the one in Montana to take his rain and send it elsewhere (preferably to the met in Grand Forks, ND who hasn't seen rain for months).

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

oh and the SE corner of SK had frost warnings up last night so am betting lots of folks will be getting rain or cooler temps now.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

"Lilypon, Sorry you are having bad weather. It sounds like you are at least well prepared & have a good plan for dealing with the cold. I had actually begun to think that you rather appreciated if not even enjoyed the cold weather. It does have a certain icy beauty, if one can get past the chill - and the price, as I'm guessing it must cost an arm & 2 legs to stay warm at your latitude. Or maybe, as with handling snow, you folks just have secrets for staying warm, things we don't know about down here."

I thoroughly dislike the unknown re Old Man Winters nasty surprises/gifts (haha) DreamsOfSpring...I dread winters in the -60'sF / -50'sC and I dread winters with lots of snow that sticks and blows around forever. I don't mind winters in the -20's/-30's with some snow/cold but the extremes are not on my fave list. We certainly can deal with the above but when it lasts for months on end ie Oct to May (worst case) my teeth are ready to snap with impatience re spring ever coming.

People around here are stocking up on snowblowers right now. Getting ready in case we have blizzards again.

We got hot today. 85 for a high with a decent breeze.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.