What's coming for winter?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Well I've just today seen two forecast model maps re this winter (the NAO and AO as well as the Siberian snow cover will remain more reliable) however this is what those model maps are showing:

One shows Saskatchewan colder than average and since we've been sharing so well this past year the States below us and esp to the East will be the recipients of our loverly winter conditions.

The other model shows just about all of North America being warm (Saskatchewan especially will be well above our normal winter temps). The only place that it is showing to be cooler than normal are those areas that are being gifted with so much rain along the East Coast of the United States (from above Georgia to about the mid section...Atlantic storms?)/

Both are of course in la la land right now.

Today a little rain here (barely enough to knock the harvest dust down). highest I saw, that I can remember 18C.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2013 9:48 PM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks much for that gift, Lilypon!

I will look forward to receipt of your gift. Per my understanding the northern and midwestern states usually get the worst of that arctic air that drifts downward, except...A year or two back a pressure system set itself up across the northern US, forcing the arctic air that would otherwise have blown through that area to move south instead. We had an exceptionally chilly winter that year even here where winters are usually quite mild. As much as I appreciate your thinking of us, please don't send a repeat of that weather pattern. ;-)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Great recap, Thanks!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Forgot to say it will also be the snow cover in Saskatchewan that will also effect how cold and how much snow the States below us get (Siberia first then us). For places like Texas to get snow we have to have a really good snow pack up here (as well as a bunch of other conditions have to be in place...one being getting rid of the high pressure ridge that is sitting over them). Every cold front that drops down eats away at it/nudges it over. Lately there has been talk of it (high pressure ridge) moving over to New Mexico. At a couple of weather sites I post at the Texans eagerly watch for my postings of snow and cold (they want it desperately). I found it really strange but they are weather lovers and love having something different in their neck of the woods.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2013 10:11 AM

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Wettest year here I can ever remember. Not as many days over 90 either.

I'm wondering if winter will be extreme.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

98 currently. I thought it was Sept, not July.

High today was 100.Tonight in the 70's.Tomorrow back at 100.(((YUCKY AND STICKY)))

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

100% humidity here at the moment: raining. The Farmers' Almanac says our winter weather will be "chilly and wet". We had a warm winter last year and the insects got in an additional reproductive cycle so some colder temps this winter will be appreciated.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

We got fog this morning early 60's with the humidity at 100% Still no rain ,70's now , partly cloudy .
Long time since any rain here , we need it badly ,last years started this way ,weather 360 ,

Looking for a high of 88 degrees today ,,
With the humidity so high it needs to rain ,
But it dropped to 20% the other afternoon , even the trees curled and shriveled .

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

They're calling for a high of 97F today and back into the 100s later in the week.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well it is still 89 degrees at 8 pm .
Got to 94 to 96 degrees today .
FALL SUMMER ,FALL I need to make up my mind . you hear that Mother Nature !!! .

You can wear the air this evening , whew,,!!! wee !!!

This message was edited Sep 9, 2013 7:59 PM

Currently 93 and this morning when I went to work (early, early morning) it was still 80.

But the good news is relief is on it's way!! In a couple days we will start dropping down to low 80s.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Lily: I will be hoping for low snow cover in your area. As to those Texans, I'm thinking their true motivation may be to escape the terrible heat they have endured for months. I get that way, too, around this time of year when having ice dumped on me sounds wonderful and it seems no amount of cold could possibly be too much for me. Incidentally, I've been surprised at some of your late summer highs up there, where I would have expected much milder summer weather. Is this normal for you?

plantnutz: GA is one of the states effected by the low pressure system which has been dumping torrents of rain on us daily since June - so that may explain why it is so wet in your area. According to CNN, that system shows no sign of moving in the near future, meaning lots more rain for us both.

juhur7: I felt for you upon reading that the leaves in your trees are drying up due to drought. I experienced that a few years ago here, so I know the devastation and the fear one experiences at the thought of possibly loosing trees. Ours survived, btw. I'm hoping yours will, too. Just to put this into perspective, many of my trees are now turning yellow and dropping their leaves in apparent response to far too much water. Some became almost totally defoliated in August even.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

DreamofSpring, yes, we have been getting torrents of rain. I have been getting lots more rain than people in the northern and eastern and western parts of my county. Many of these rains have been torrential downpours, what I call frogchokers and it is like the thunderstorm is just parked over my house for an hour or more. My backyard has had standing water many times this summer. It is like walking on a sponge when it soaks it up. I have not had to water once this year. Of course, we were in a drought for several years prior to this. We just can't be happy, can we?

On a happy note, though, we have not lost any trees but the surrounding areas have lost many. Go figure! We are having many trees drop leaves now.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Being this warm is unusual for us at this time of year DreamsofSpring....however not surprising since a lot of our summer was springlike. It seems when we have cool summers we usually have a warm fall (greatly needed, and appreciated, to get our crops to ripen this year). By now we will normally have had a frost though afterwards we would still have some days in the 80's).

That jet stream had such a corkscrew like path this summer. We had some mornings in the mid 30's F back in late July early August that had our hearts sink into the abyss with fear.

Our farm has had the canola, peas and winter wheat harvested now and the durum is one week away from being ready (I thought it was off but it will be soon with our current weather forecast). The flax isn't ready yet but rain won't hurt it nor will frost at this point in its development.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Low snow cover is what most are praying for up here too btw. It will mean colder temps for us but we'd rather have that then lots of snow (its been a tough couple of snow shoveling / highway traveling winters that we've had over the past couple of years). Past two years we've had record breaking snowfall / cover.

I know however those fellows in Texas are praying for the opposite to befall upon us. Its the fellows in Houston that really want snow (it is so rare for it to fall down there). I keep telling them that if they have lots of moisture available they will so regret having a strong cold front head their way (do they even have snow shovels down there? ;o)

This message was edited Sep 10, 2013 9:26 AM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

93 degrees
We will see how high it goes.
Hot , dry , humid , still summer ,

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Summer here hasn't been as hot, too wet, nor too dry as many of you have experienced. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

BTW early Thursday morn we are predicted to drop down to 8C...I'd hold onto your umbrellas tightly when that cold front heads down.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The draw changes , I am sure you know and are plenty aware , the weather will get to you with something different sooner or later , Summer , Winter , Spring , Fall .
The deck has four Aces in favor of the house(weather) , All the odds are against us) it's a Pooper man!!!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I doubt they have snow shovels in Houston. We don't have them here, neither the large vehicles for the roads nor the manual types for homes. We don't have any equipment or training for dealing with snow or ice. No salt. no snow tires or chains. None of that stuff. Since we only get an inch or so (or less) once per decade, it would not be cost effective here. Therefore, when it does snow even an inch or two, we close all of the schools and businesses and 'roll up the streets' to the city. Snow here never lasts more than a day, anyhow. This may be another reason those Texans are hoping for snow - around here snow equals a day off from work, usually with pay.

When folks from the northern areas move here, they get a kick out of our response to snow and how we close down the city. But they do tell us we have some of the best highways they've seen - salt is bad for highways (& cars). All that freezing & thawing is also hard on highways. All we have here is sand for use on the occasional patch of ice that may appear on tall bridges - sand & bridge closed signs.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Tell me about it, juhur7. This time of year we are holding our collective breath & trying to dodge hurricanes.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Brings to mind when we played games like Dodgeball and such , These days weather dodging is much more serious , !!! Games are rigged , decks are stacked , marked , and mirrored , and nobody if anybody wins !!!
Giant waves at sea
Tornadoes ,
Tropical storms
hail storms
straight line winds
Droughts
floods
starvation & dehydration .
months without power
Freezing to near death and frostbite
no fuels .
I have managed to miss Hurricanes with no regrets about it at all , But , as all,, I have had my share of weather "Fun"
This is the part where we look at one another and say " Been there , Done that " and as often as it had been , we could of passed on the reality or the idea of it happening ???

Oh I forgot Extreme Temperatures and their rapid changes .... lol ???
Egads lets add
Mudslides
Blizzards Of course these could of been part of freezing and floods .
DOS the only thing i ever experienced in your state was flash flood ,, Those are lots and lots of "Fun" also

Well darn it !!! I give up now at adding Earthquakes , H ow I ever forgot being there for those is beyond me ,,
Does this mean tsunami
Hurricanes
And Asteroid impacts is what I have to look forward to , maybe I should put Solar Flare on the looking forward to list . just for the heck of it . lol ... That's all Folks...

This message was edited Sep 10, 2013 2:29 PM

This message was edited Sep 10, 2013 2:35 PM

This message was edited Sep 10, 2013 2:40 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I was waiting , although not long , for westerner's to pop in here with Wildfires or some one from the USSR (now Russia ) to say Meteoroid impacts ,

Ending on a positive note though ; in all that ;
There is and has been some of the prettiest Sunrise's and Sunset's anyone ever saw !!!
Yes rain and thunderstorms are often Beautiful also (sigh )

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

97 DEGREES Today's high was 99 degrees,, almost ..
34 % humidity
WIND 8-17 .
SUN WORSHIPERS DREAM , at the moment
Not exactly mine though ..

This message was edited Sep 10, 2013 6:43 PM

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

They were calling for a high of 88 today. It's nice to have a day below 90F though this won't last. We haven't even turned the air conditioner on yet, though we will have to before we go to bed if not before since the upstairs gets hot.

Currently 89. Still hot but we only have one more day before we start dropping. This weekend our high will be in the high 70s to low 80s. PERFECT weather!!!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Nice cool down here today. Only 78º.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Still warm here but that cool weather up north is headed our way. Should be nice for the weekend.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Still 90's here
Dry gulch .

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Currently 72F here

A repeat of what I posted before but what I've left here is today :o) :

Saskatchewan Weather Report

A sky so clear
the sun shone till Sunday
and back again
before closing its eyes.

A day so fine
the afternoon dug in
its heels, refused
to follow the morning.

A love so rare
even June
blushed
at the thought.

From
The Horse Knows the Way. Poems by Dave Margoshes

Not quite as hot but still hot today. Start cooling down tomorrow til we are in the 70s for a few days. Yipeeee!!!!

Mountain View, HI

Aloha Juhur7

One more to add to your list - VOG - volcanic smoke or smog from our volcano. Makes Kailua Kona hazy most of the time and with southerly winds we get VOG thick enough for headlights in places, breathing probems and sulphur smell. Plants turn yellow in severe cases.

Tonight is in the 70's and for tomorrow in the upper 90's.

Still DRY,DRY,DRY!!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

and overnight a low of +2C is forecasted for low lying places...our farm should be around +6C
(our crop is too far along now to be hurt)

A night so cold
the curve of the moon
froze to the tip
of the wind's tongue.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

41F was our low today
77F right now at 2:06pm

Another dry,hot and humid day,reaching nearly 100.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

70 's rain this morning ,
NICE DAY !!^_^

We had enough rain this morning to slightly wet things down but not curb the road dust. Temps reached low 80s with low humidity.

News said tonight we are an inch behind for the month on rain and 5 inches for the year.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oohh, Lily,

That last verse was so deliciously descriptive. I could almost see it.

----------------

Seems marginally cooler here today. It's 85F right now. Warmer if you factor in the humidity which is always high around here. I notice that the A/C is not running endlessly today as it has been every day since somewhere back around April or May. That alone is an improvement.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.