What's coming for winter?

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks, southgal

They are calling for 104F today.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Hey there Kelli, weird weather huh. I guess you got some heat this summer in LA, here on the central coast it was really mild. That was until this weeks heat spell. My garden is so confused. I have vines that are red for fall and bulbs that are coming up thinking it must be spring. I'd say better late than never but I don't really feel that way.

Kelli,your welcome!!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Warmer and getting warmer this week. Will soon be back into the mid 90s.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very cool last night with low humidity. Temps warming again in the next few days.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

50's this morning , 80's for this afternoon
Cold morning , really !!!
DRY 4IN. below normal rainfall
almost 1/2 a degree below normal for the year (summer)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

My sleep last night started under just a quilt but sometime during the night I awakened to look for an additional blanket. Don't know how cool it was, somewhere around 50º I think.

They are calling for 104F again today.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

104 that's amazing. I grew up in Long Beach and I thought 85 was hot. Do you just drag the hose around all day or what. I don't think my plants could handle 104.

Mid to upper 90's for today.

Just back from getting scripts in town. Leaves are falling everywhere already!

Domehomedee, the plants are tough. We run the sprinkler system three times a week. Most of the plants in pots are succulents and get watered once a week. I stay indoors when it gets this hot. Actually, over 85F is hot to me, too, and I don't go out much when it is over 85F.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

On August 31st it was 96 degrees here , that's our hottest of the year ,
Over 90 degrees it doesn't mean much about it being hot .
For a colder year over all , nationally it has been a scorcher anyway ,.
This is me with the ( I don't care what it all says ) it is hot anyway !!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

33C Feels like 38C

91.4 F Feels like 104F

Currently 82 but I'm ready for actual fall weather with the changing of the leaves. I don't want anymore 90+ temps. Yeah, I'm whining. lol

Lots of responses, but no posts about what folks think this winter may be like....

Cold and hopefully snowy!! Roads are alot smoother when covered in several inches of snow all winter long. lol

I like snow pretty much, but we often end up with icy roads, not so good for driving safely.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That is as the power outage with a blizzard 3 or four years ago and no power for 12 days (blah)
Winter can keep all that to itself , I will take a couple of months of good cold weather for the plants though,
As for me , I don;t look forward to cold or flu season with that , only that seems to have become a year round thing nowadays anyway . .
Yes it is looking to be later ,cooler, wetter , and more snowy , than the past few..

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Nobody is sure yet what the winter will be like Darius. ENSO is all over the place in Neutral territory. It gets close to La Nina or El Nino and then changes direction again (been doing this for about two years now). What happens in September/October/November will give a clearer picture). A warm fall has led to cold winters and cold falls have had warm winters. It will be the AO/NAO and the snow cover in Siberia that will tell the tale eventually.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2013 7:42 PM

I hope we get at least our average amount of rain this winter. (That would be 16 inches.) This past winter was one of the driest on record. I forget the amount but I think it was around 4 inches.

Mountain View, HI

No time to get bored with the weather. Lots of animals, hobbies and plants to keep us busy
But my wife and I do appreciate how lucky we are. We drove from our home on the East side of the island 100 miles to Kailua -Kona today for our every two month trip to Costco (our nearest). Imagine our shopping spree, we have a 1 ton cargo van instead of a passenger sedan. Afterall there is just the two of us. Who needs rear passenger seats.
Day started out clear blue sky, very little wind, about 68f. Drove through Volcano National Park, still clear blue sky apart from the plume of volcanic smoke coming from the eruption of Kilauea about 1 mile to our left. Going along the south coast we had the peak of Mauna Loa 12,000 ft in a clear blue sky to our right and about 30 miles further on the deep blue of the pacific ocean sparkling to our left below the rugged cliffs. Stopped at a local bakery for turnovers and a nature break (we are that age) and then on to Kona.
On the way back the clouds built up over the mountains with the afternoon heat and as we returned through the park rain showers were misting the back of the valleys contrasting with the blue sky over the ocean. Driving down from the 4000ft level in the park to our home at 2200ft we could see the Pacific ocean beyond the islands east coast line about 25 miles away and you could just determine the curve of the earth where the ocean horizon kissed the evening sky.
Back at our house still no rain, still no wind, plants in pots were wilting and life gets back to normal. Believe me we appreciate where we live and look forward to you all spending your savings and coming to visit our beautiful islands.
Tomorrows weather - the same with maybe a few more light showers on Saturday. Only subtle changes forecast for next week.
Hope this was not too long.

They're calling for 106F today.

That's unreal, Kelli. I'm wearing a flannel shirt already and upstate NY is calling for frost.

It's pretty typical for September here. We can get days over 100F into October even. I sure would like some flannel shirt weather.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

The temp here is running in the low 90's but that still yields a triple digit effective temp when adjusted for humidity. Today was 91F, 105F heat indexed (adjusted for humidity), and we are only a hop & skip away from you, darius.

As for what winter will be like, my fear is that ours will be just like summer (endless rain) but cooler, probably with a handful of icy, frosty days. The weather folks on CNN still say they can do our weather report with a cut and paste from the prior days, and then they laugh and say that weird system that is causing all of our rain shows no sign of leaving, ever. Actually, I don't think it has rained yet today, but there is always tonight.

Whup, hope it changes before Oct. 3 when I have a trip planned to Morehead City for several days on a fresh seafood hunt!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

HUMIDITY has dropped real low here , put a quart of water on a small plant 7;30 am came back at noon and the plants had started to shrivel dry as could be , Air is dehydrating the ground , mummification time
82 degrees
26% humidity
wind 0 . You all realize being weather wise, conscience, or sensitive , is driving me nuts !!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

High 80's today, but a nice south wind made it bearable.

Winter in MN.
Snow starts mid November, might stay until April. 3 or 4 good blizzards along the way.
Temperatures below freezing most of Dec, Jan, & Feb. Low as -30º possible.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Bernie, how do you stand those winters if you can't even get to the GH?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am for having it stay Spring or Fall all year long , I think fall would be better though, Waiting for harvest if it was forever spring would really test my emotions ! lol At least if it was fall I could look at all the goodies of the harvest no matter how I felt !! ^_^
No I'm really not that childish ,, at least not yet ,, I think ???

This message was edited Sep 6, 2013 9:09 PM

We cracked the 90s today and hit 91. Next several days will be 90s and close to 100. Ugh!!!! I just keep telling myself next month is fall. Just a half a month to go!!! lol

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Jahur7 - I'm with you, Fall is the best time of year and Spring is a close second. I think I like Fall because it is the only time of year I don't get hayfever, LOL. And Spring, well, what gardener doesn't love Spring. I'm ready for pumpkins and cool breezes.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I agree. Fall is in the air here at night but warm temps again during the day. 90s predicted for the week ahead. But, then, it's still September. The hummers are eating a lot at the feeders ... fattening themselves for the migration. It won't be long before they are on their way south again. I always miss them when they go.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

darius,

Morehead City is NC, different animal. Even if people are inclined to refer to us as The Carolinas, our weather is quite different. Plus, and this is a biggie, the weather in Charleston is quite unlike that in the rest of SC, except for the Beaufort & Hilton Head area. A narrow strip of coastline from Charleston south to the GA border has more in common weather-wise with central Florida (based on a zone system more detailed than the one we typically use) than with SC or GA, this due to the effects of the Gulf Stream which runs very close to the coast in this area bringing warm air up from the Gulf. For instance, we have virtually no real winter and typically see a very light dusting of snow once per decade, not enough to even scoop up a shallow bowl of snow cream & even that typically falls late in the day or evening and is gone by morning. Bottom line, I doubt it will be this hot where you are going, even if there is no change.

As to the endless rain, which, btw, is upon us again, I don't know if NC, particularly that part of NC, is even included in the area effected by the strange weather system that has been trying to drown us for months now. Let's hope not, since that area of NC up around the Outer Banks and such seems to see a lot of serious flooding anyhow, even w/o the weather system that has been dumping all this rain on us. (It looks to me like the L pressure system causing the rain may only be effecting the lower coast of NC, well below where you are going, but I'm not certain about that.)

Above all, let's just hope the change we see by that date doesn't involve a major hurricane! Hoping the weather will be good for your visit.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

We had 2.5 inches of rain on Wed. evening, and yesterday 3.5 inches. Nice overcast morning at 73°, humidity was about 80%, but still nice for morning walk with no sun blazing down. Should make it to 90° today.

Never know what winter will be like here, last two years were wonderful, only a handful of freezing nights...but some years the Canadians down here say it is colder than their weather. One way or the other it won't be until January-ish, give or take a month either way.

They're calling for 100F today. I like fall once it cools down. November should be agreeable and maybe there will even be some rain.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I'd love to see some rain, but you can keep the humidity, LOL. We haven't seen rain since Spring and not much then.

Still hot and now humid. Ozone alert went out for the area today due to the air quality. Mid 90s for high.

Mountain View, HI

For todays weather refer back to Sept 2nd report. Just add a couple more showers. No change expected for the next week.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.