What's coming for winter?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I haven't been on this forum since we stopped tracking hurricanes and those in their paths.

The weather across the country as been so up and down during spring and summer, with drought or flooding, that I'm concerned about what winter might bring.

Any thoughts?

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I just read that the Old Farmers Almanac predicts a terribly cold and hard winter.

It may beat the hot and dry summer we are having.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Anything is better than the last week was, near 100º every day.
Today, 73º & light NW wind. Sunny, with fall type clouds now & then.

I think our strawberries are OK again. We picked a bunch this morning & the fruit flies seem to be gone.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Looks promising:

A cool front slowly moving south will at least bring a chance of storms to OK,TX,LA,AR,MO, today and tonight. Need the rain!!

according to a U.S. Severe Weather site.

I'm sure you all know this already but I find it fascinating seeing where it heads to (normally we only look at what is coming not where its heading to afterwards).

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Wow, I can't help but notice how very different my view of the summer weather if vs each of yours. Here it has been anything BUT dry. Some kind of crazy weather system has parked itself over my area such that we have had rain and Tstorms every single day since some time in June 2013. Seriously. The sun very rarely peaks out from the cloud cover anymore; our entire world is soaking wet to the point that even some trees look like they may be giving up; my yard smells moldy; and I have to mow wet grass and even grass that is under water if I want to mow at all. We could probably grow some good rice here these days, and cranberries maybe.

CNN did a spot on the problem here. They said the worst part is the weather system which is causing the rain here shows no sign of moving. They said it's easy to write our weather report now, since every day is 'ditto'.

The other day it occurred to me that we may be becoming Seattle 2.

Lilypon, I, too, like to see where system go and also where they come from and how weather in one place effects another.

DreamofSpring,lol!!!you are hogging all the rain.LoL!!!!Send some down South.It is very dry here.We have that red clay dirt here.If the ground is real dry,then you can hang it up trying to dig any holes around here.Its been a 100 for the high all week.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTF, southgal,

You got that right! I am hogging ALL of the rain. That's why it's so dry everywhere else. Since June it has rained here for hours on end day after day after day - and sometimes all night long, too. Just since June we have accumulated twenty-some inches of extra rain, beyond what we would normally expect. I'm just really happy that we have managed not to drown - yet.

Can't do much gardening here either. The ground is so saturated, if you dig a hole, it is instantly full of water. No kidding! We are at or slightly below sea level, and with all that endless rain, it's getting hard to separate the yard from the ocean. I tried to plant a rose. I used a shovel to dig a hole, but as I said it was a hole full of water - to w/in 1-2in of the top. I held the bare root rose upright in the water with one hand while using the other hand to put the dirt back into the water - like a big, messy mud pie. It was very messy, but then I didn't have to worry about watering the newly planted rose. Time will tell how well that actually works. 1st time I ever planted anything by putting the soil into the water instead of the other way around.

Oh, but it is definitely hot here. Don't think rain means cool. It does not. Here it just means more steam - hot, humid, and steamy. This time of year, I just stay indoors until it's over.

Hoping you guys gets some rain very soon! I wish I could share. Really I do! :-)

LOL DreamofSpring!!! That is to funny you planting a rose bush in the rain and your yard flooding.I can't believe it don't float off.LOL!!!That is funny how you planted it backwards.At lease it doesn't have to be watered for a long time.I wish we would get some rain too.We need it bad!!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We got some rain this morning!!! We had a nice big thunderstorm land for a few hours and give us some much needed rain. Messed up my road...again but that's the new normal here. Road is always messed up.

After rain passed weather was super nice.....then the sun came out. Humidity shot up and I couldn't tell the difference between today and the last few days.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Down right cold tonight! 63º
Turned the car heater on for the drive home from dinner at Applebee's.

Countrygardens,i wish it was 63 here.I would be jumping up and down.

It is still a hot and muggy night here.(((YUCK)))

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm going to Lewisville, MN....LOL.

We had a couple days about ten days ago that the temps were actually upper 60's in the pre-dawn, gave me a taste of fall. But that didn't last long.

In Central FL, we usually don't see our first cool front till late Sept....if we're lucky.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Yea, Bernie, we had 55 this morning. It felt so good to be able to open windows and air house out.
Now maybe I can get out side and tackle some of these gigantic weeds that I am growing.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

50º here. I'm heading out to trim tomatoes.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Before & after the trimming.
Rows on left side of picture are the ones I worked on.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

They're calling for a high of 95F today and 100s later in the week. September can sometimes be our hottest month. Moan.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I, too, am envious of you folks in MN & WI. It's super hot here, too. A/C runs non-stop all day long, and when you open the door the air outside is thick, hot, and almost suffocating. It doesn't usually even start to cool down here until mid to late Sept - and by 'cool down' I mean drop back into the mid to upper 80's. Most years I still have the A/C running on New Year's Day here. People don't realize it's that hot here, but some days the temp here exceeds that of Death Valley.

It's the Gulf Stream that makes it unexpectedly hot here. We are right on the Atlantic Coast. The Gulf Stream runs right along close to the coast here. The Gulf Stream is an ocean current which brings the heat up from the Gulf of Mexico, making the temp/weather here in Charleston much the same as that of the Gulf Coast states and of central & northern Florida.

It never gets really cold here. I have a split-leaf philodendron which lives year round in a giant pot in front of the garage. We typically get maybe 5 nights down in the low 30's, even down as low as 28F, but they are not consecutive nights, and the next day the temp soars quickly back up to the 50's and even 70's. Winter is actually my favorite time of year here and the best time to do yard and garden maintenance. You can garden year round here. I have flowers in my yard all year, including Dec - Feb.

Oh, and about that rose planting story I told earlier. I think I failed to communicate it correctly. When I said the hole I dug filled up with water instantly, I didn't mean from rain. It wasn't raining at all at the time - although I have done some gardening/planting in the rain at other times. The hole filled up with water as quickly as I could dig it, because the water was coming from the GROUND! That's how wet it is here now. It has been raining daily non-stop since June. The ground is so completely soaked with water that any hole I dig instantly fills with water. How scary is that?! I think we are like one big shower away from washing into the Atlantic Ocean.

I do wish I could share some of this water with those of you in dry areas. It's raining here now and has been for hours, but that seems to be our norm now. Btw, I'm glad to hear that some of you who need rain got some recently. Wish we could rig up some kind of irrigation system, something like the Roman aqueducts, to send some of this excess water over to the heartland where it belongs.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A foggy wet cool sunrise of 56 degrees , 91 Degrees now , evaporation is awful , it is scorching hot ans sunny , kids all like it , . I'm glad somebody does .!!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

91F was our high today (so happy we had a cool night last night).

Mid 80s for high today and low humidity. Tonight will get into the mid 50s for a low. Gonna feel gooooood. lol

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Our first frost date is November 30. September here is very much like August. October is our best month in the whole year IMO. We had rain about 8 times in August which is unusual and on the whole our year has been wetter than the last few. We were playing catchup from the terrible drought of the last 3 years so it was very welcome.

Mountain View, HI

We don't seem to have any weather any more. Sun comes up it gets daylight, sun goes down it gets dark. In between temp goes from 65 up to 80 and then back down to 65. Very little breeze, very little wind and about 50% cloud. Some light showers at night and a few during the day. Day after day. Some days the wind is lighter and humidity goes up, some days its a little breezy and humidity goes down.
No gales, no storms, no 90f+ days, no drought, no snow, no frost
The weather guys on TV try to find surf for the surfers but only goes from flat to maybe 4ft. We do have jelly fish warnings in the weather reports to warn beach goers. They usually occur once a month.
Luckily its a quiet hurricane season and at the end of October we will start watching for winter storms and high surf. But for now - its quiet.
If you don't get a report you knows its same ol, same ol.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

microb, it sounds a bit like paradise. Do you all get bored with paradise?

Now that sounds like the kind of weather i could handle all year around.Some people have it lucky with the weather and some people the weather hits hard.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very cool this early morning. A bit like fall in the air. It will warm up into the 80s later today. Still nice compared to the way it usually is this time of year. Hoping for another winter with just the right amount of colder weather.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Can't say the same here. Our temps were dropping but then started rising again.

Currently 72F feels like 77

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Lilypon, your weather sounds perfect! Now, at least.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOL to you anyways ;o) Too warm for me (thanking my lucky stars however that our dewpoint has dropped dramatically...all our crops have ripened and all that is left is for our grass to turn scorched brown). Most here are letting it go into dormancy until the fall rains come.

Don't dare complain too much as we all know what is waiting in the wings. :O

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

@ 7:00am 17C / 63F

Not much of a cool off last night :'(

Another somewhat humid morning. They are calling for a high of 99F.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Country Gardens, I think Bernie? Love the shots of your tomatoes...sure would love to have a green house like that...the room for one.
Every day here we will just reach 90° then have a thunderstorm, or one close enough to bring us down to somewhat comfortable. It was only 73 when I went walking this morning with the pooch, felt good.

Another day at 100F.

Got up to 99F. Looking forward to winter. So looking forward to winter.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

80's today ,
I am not looking forward to winter ;;lol
59% humidity
5MPH wind

Same as Ju and Cville. :~)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Mid 90's. Hot. Need Rain or will have to water.
Rain forcast 30% Wed thru Fri....some hope.
Fortunately everything is still growing and green.

We did get a few drops of rain earlier.Need more!!!

Kelli,i am like you.I am ready for winter.I am ready for the snakes to go back in their holes!!!

Winter is the "rainy season" and I look forward to the greening up, too. Winter and spring are the natural growing season here. Summer and fall are the dormant seasons.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Nice pic Kelli.
The two seasons i like the most are Spring and Fall.

Winter here everything is brown!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.