What's happening in your neck of the woods August/13 !!

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Dropping by to wish you all a super weekend.
As always, in the Fall, mine is busy .. just looked at Ocotbers calendar, almost EVERY DAY has something booked!! It's a darned good thing I'm feeling better, slower, but better ..
I am taking continuing education with Hospice, and, the evening are Tuesdays and Thursdays ..
Betty. getting into the car is 'different", but, once in .. Oooooooooooo very nice .. I find it roomier than the Rav, but, I do miss the Rav. Just that a SPORTS utility vehicle is a bit 'much' for our needs right now. Lorna no longer uses the wheelchair which is why we had the Rav, to accomodate that. Am most certainly having some 'techie issues' with the new vehicle, one wonders if at some point in time you'll get into a vehicle, say an address and the car will simply drive itself to the destination .. you just have to sit back and read.

I best get moving .. so much to accomplish before noon !!

TTFN

~M~

Have 2 pics to share, then, I am off to bake a pumpkin pie and an apple pie, and make other apple pies to freeze .. also making apple sauce to go with a pork roast for tonight.

Susan, how was the turkey dinner, or, am I too early? Hope it went well ..

The 40th was very nice. The attached pics were taken there .. one is both sets of grandparents along with Brooklyn and Austin, the other, is, Gordon and myself ..

Have a great day

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" love the photo, great looking couple...must say, you really look healthy and happy!

Just puttering around the house..quilting my Sil's queen size quilt yesterday for 11 straight hours tired me out..so, today I'm puttering around

Had Mel's Christmas quilt to hand sew binding, did it,thinking of putting another quilt on the fame, leave it for quilting a bit here and there this week, then do a tad of painting on mr scarecrow or he will be set aside in back shed again in parts..

Neck has been giving me problems and bringing on headaches so am moving slowly and enjoying the day

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Great pics, Marilynne!

Thanks Vi Anne, and Betty .. it's sure wonderful to be feeling more like ME! It has been ONE YEAR since I was diagnosed with the auto immune disorder and my right hip was the first major joint attacked and destroyed .. today .. I feel 95% better .. I would feel 100% better were I to slow down a bit and 'take it easy', but, after a year in bed (for the most part) I want to get out and do things.
Am certainly finding out where the INaccessible places are .. the shops with staircases or a BIG step up to get into the building .. needless to say i have written letters with regards to this. My disability is short lived, but, I keep thinking of those like Lorna who face these challenges everyday.

Going to bed early tonight, time to get back to my books and reading ..

Stay well, have a great October ^-^

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilynne - the turkey dinner was good. Although, I think I got a bit of a "bug" or something last Sunday, and was ever-so-sick that one day. Flash forward to yesterday, and eating did it again to me....... I'd say more, but it's TMI lol
Then today after church I had some cheese and anniversary cake, and my tummy did it again. Guess I should stop eating? lmao

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Hello ladies :o)

I have a question for our Eastern Canadians.....Have any of you ever purchased anything from http://www.williamsfoodequipment.ca/ ? They have an item my son is interested in.

Thank you for any and all replies.

Gardening related we lost one of our lovely Elms to Dutch Elm disease. Am looking at replacing it with an Ohio Buckeye (if the city allows it). Rare here but tough and on for a really good price right now. We also lost a Manitoba Maple to old age and so have eyed a couple of colourful maples to plant (one for the lost one and one to replace another that came down a few years ago). Our yard is well sheltered and has a Crimson King Maple (which is listed here as a zone 2/3 tree but that is a lie) so figure the two maples that I'm now eyeing will make it since the one we have is a lot touchier (it dies back after nasty cold winters to the point where it is very well sheltered).

Hi lilypon,

I've never ordered from that store, perhaps Betty will have some info.

Sure hope you get the OK on the Ohio Buckeye very nice tree.
We have Sugar Maples here that are really not for this area,but, they do very well.
Just in the process of changing colour now. Beautiful.

Nice to see you posting, good luck :)

M

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sorry lilypon, no never heard of them, I'm no help at all

I have a red maple, Lordy it's grown to about 20 ft in 8 years, amazed seeing as its planted in sand..over the past couple of years I've noticed 3 other seedlings from it, got to be 2 ft, thinking of moving them as I certainly don't want them where they are..one is only a few feet from the pond.

Hmmm you need permission from city as to what tree to plant? That is different

Susan, bet your tummy is acting up likely from nerves, sending hugs

"M" you are almost back on your regular schedule, just don't push it..remember how nervous you were to have the surgery?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Does anyone watch Murdoch Mysteries?? Either tonight or tomorrow night the show will have been taped here in port mcnicoll on the Keewatin ship docked and opened as a museum

Next month the episode will be filmed in midland

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I like the Murdoch Mysteries, but rarely get to see the show because of the time it airs. I don't know how to work my new VCR and I don't have the fancy stuff that records shows for later playback.

Hahah .. I'm like ViAnn .. we were all hepped up to get a PVR and are now waiting until Murray or one of the kids are available to set it up ...
I'm the same way re NCIS .. am starting Hospice courses and dontcha know they'll be Tuesday nights!

Betty, as a young lady of 12 or 13, I went ON the Keewatin for a cruise with my Mom and a girlfriend and her Mom. It lasted about an hour, went from the dock in Fort William, to the dock in Port Arthur (both cities now called Thunder Bay) .. it was so luxurious .. I remember the wood panelling and the linens .. we also did a short trip on the Assiniboine, which I do believe is in the US somewhere now . With what's happening in the US gov't right now, there won't be much you can go to see until they straighten out their problems!!

Yesterday was just gorgeous here .. the leaves are falling like mad .. Lorna has mulched them once so far .. light rain right now, but, DH took the dogs walking anyway.
LAST (I hope) visit from my physio today .. my bad as I overdid it on Sunday and sure paid for it on Monday :-(

RABBIT, RABBIT .. hope everyone has an awesome month .. my birth month !!

~M~

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sorry Bettypauze I should have said the Elm we lost was on the city boulevard beside our house. It was one my father planted there around 70 years ago.

MarilynneS interesting to read Sugar Maples do well in your zone! :^))

So far I've eyed two maples for our yard. One has flame in its name and the other I've written down somewhere but can't find its name right now. *sigh* Frost damage will be a risk here in this zone but they are tougher than the Crimson King in our yard so should do ok. I was describing our Crimson King (which isn't very crimson) to the lady at the nursery and she had such a strange look on her face (re it being more purplish than red). Then a light shone and she reiterated what I'd said ie it is grown in a sheltered location...too shaded to develop the right colouring. ;o) We had one in a more exposed location but it only grew to the size of a small bush and eventually one hard winter ended its life.

Thanks for the replies re the cooking supply company above. Might still risk ordering from it as it has good reviews at its site (was hoping others here could add to them though).

Victoria Harbour, ON

Must have really been a loss for you! Not sure that I've ever heard of a Crimson King
going to look it up

Am sure the company would have to be reputable as it doesn't take long if not reputable that it's all over the site.

Sure wish I had kept all my canning supplies

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

my tummy's feeling better now......

I'm in a new job, with a company called ACN. We sell services like Cell phone, home phone, internet, tv, etc, through 23 companies, of course including Canada and US. Now, if I can get some sales, it would be awesome...... anyone want to try it out? It would be a HUGE help to me, to get some startup sales......
Bob's helping too, and it looks like a real job that we can work hard at and make a good bit of change. Yes, it's self-employment, but yes we'd be able to do things without having a type of job where I'd have to give up my church work - they can run consequentially......
http://susanjm.acndirect.com/default.asp

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ohhh best of luck Susan

Was this in the works before you left your last job??

All the best Susan ^_^

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Good luck, Susan.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

no, it wasn't in the works. I'd heard about it before, but am now willing to learn this new company........... it's not a new company - even Donald Trump is "in" on this company, and it's trading on the NYE.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy Happy Birthday "M"

sure hope today is a sunshine day for you, of course few pressies won't hurt..lol

Susan, sure hope this is an answer to your prayers.

Verona, ON

Happy Birthday M. Having a special meal? Mam always used to let us chose what we wanted for our BD dinner and dessert. I always wanted mam's homemade Angel food cake - wow it was good.

Somehow I lost ya all but here I is.

Best of luck Susan to you and Bob as you start your new endeavour.

Enjoying the pictures Ann. Are you all caught up on your sleep? You sure did a lot of walking.

The bus driver in that horrible fatal accident in Ottawa was a favourite customer of ours. He bought several pieces of SG from us plus ordered a couple of custom pieces when we participated in the Tulip Festival, and the Ottawa Christmas Craft Show. Always had a smile on his face.

Gorgeous weather here right now. I would love to have this weather year round. When I was younger the heat never bothered me - heavens I worked in tobacco and as a life guard at Grand Bend on Lake Huron for several years. Now I melt when it gets over 75*F

Well Duke and Diesel are telling me they need another walk. Hard to believe here it is 7 pm and I need the flashlight already. Swear it is a full moon by the pups' behaviour - they have been full of it.
Dianne

Thanks for the BDay wishes Dianne.
It was Chinese Food for me .. no one had to cook, and, it was delish !!
Course the cake was yummy, and, I let the dogs share (pics attached)

Biggest fear here re darkness is a SKUNK in the dogs compound. We have a huge flashlight that we use to scan the interior before we let them out, seems the skunks are quite active right now, no doubt getting ready for winter.

Heat and me are NOT a match made in heaven either .. I just shut right down .. love temps in the high teens or mid teens C.
Thunder Bay is bracing for a cool down ..

OH MY! how sad about the bus driver .. my condolences.
Has it ever been decided WHAT exactly happened ?

Guess the U S is heading into some rough waters with this gov't shutdown. Am thinking the Republicans haven't a hope in Hades of ever being elected ..

Off to get ready for my first time out ALONE .. ought to be fun !!

Take care

~M~

Verona, ON

Have a blast M. You have probably forgot what it feels like to be out 'alone'. I know the first time I went out alone after I had my knees done I was just beside myself both with joy and trepidation. Head was full of 'what if's" until I finally told myself it was all nonesense and enjoy myself.

Pups look like the really enjoyed the cake.
D

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Happy Belated Birthday, ~M~!!!

Betty - this would be an answer to my prayers, if my friends in Calgary would do me a big favour and help me out by coming by and meeting the fellow from my company on Saturday. Maybe I'm not that good a friend to them.....
ah well, people tend to get sceptical if they're not walking into an actual "store" and I have a website...... not a physical storefront, but a webfront....

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Marilynne - was your birthday yesterday? I'm sorry I missed it. You share a birthday with my sister if it was. Are you a twin of my sister? She was 68 yesterday.

Dianne - yes, caught up on sleep except last night I woke in the middle of the night and had difficulty getting back to sleep. That rarely happens to me; so I don't know why. DH is BACK in Europe - has been there all week as an external examiner for a PhD student in northern Norway and he's back tomorrow and then heads to NewFoundland on Monday. Do you regularly participate in the Ottawa Christmas Craft Show? If you do again, please let me know.

Thanks Anne .. your sister and I are both 'LIBRAS' but, she has a few years on me ^_^
I absolutely HATE insomnia .. and, I. too. had it last night .. watched the clock from 1222 until 2:11am, got up, looked outside, flossed my teeth AGAIN .. stretched my right leg, crawled back into bed at 2:22am .. and by 3am I was getting ANGRY .. then it started to rain, Piper came up to the top of the bed and snuggled with me, and, at about 3:10am I fell to sleep but was up at 7am HAPPY it was time to get up LoL

Dianne, being out alone in the new car was scary, but invigorating .. my first MERGE into a fairly heavy traffic flow was a bit trippy, I hadn't driven for about, I'm thinking 7 months !! My hip wasn't uncomfortable at all, and spending time with my BFF was just wonderful!

Susan .. I will pass your website along to my friend Kathy in Calgary .. she has a lot of friends (personal and in her business) ..

Take care

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thank you, Marilyn - I appreciate your help more than you know. I'm at the "make or break" point in my heart. I KNOW this company will be good for Bob & I, once we get past the initial startup, get bonuses, and promoted through it. btw - just so you know - this is NOT a pyramid scheme. I'm a sceptical person, and I checked it out with the BBB, etc..... even though a friend of mine introduced me to Ali.... I still had to check it out.
Just need a "hand up" getting myself going!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sure wish I lived closer Susan to make an appearance at the meeting!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Everyone - just forget it - I'm giving up.
We can't do it right now - guess we've been dealing with depression and can't get this going. Maybe we're not cut out to be entrepreneurs...... or financially secure.
Anyway - no more of the company - I've told my friend who's in the company.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Tomorrow's another day Susan..don't give up

We here in Ontario just don't have the set up that you are promoting...am sure it's a lot better than am bell or Rogers..

It's just to be so overwhelming to want to work so bad and things just not go right re employment

Prayers coming your way..tomorrow you may wake up and come up with initiatives that would benefit the company..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yes you do, Betty - it's just not advertised. The company is global - through Canada, US - total of 23 countries. We wholesale for Telus, but also for other companies.
They pay me to spread the info on the company - word of mouth.
But, I would need to create the customer base.
n/m - I've already told my friend in the company that I'm throwing in the towel.

Jeepers Susan, I would have given it a bit more time I think.
But, I guess if you feel as you do it's your decision.

Betty, hope the knee is better ?

~M~

Verona, ON

Have fun in Meaford Betty. They have lots of places for you to sit and rest your knee if you need to do so. Don't be a marytr!! Are you going to get some Honey Crisp from Grandma Lambe's?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Susan - I'm really sorry to hear of the quick decision to leave the company before you really get started.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

If I don't get customers, I don't make Any $$, and I can't do the 60-70hrs a week anymore, that they require, for the training and building my customer and Business Partner base.
And, I guess after what's been happening lately - steep learning curve in last job, losing jobs (Bob & I), and no interest in our new job - we're suffering more from depression than elation that's needed in this type of work.
Without $$ coming in, we're just "spinning our wheels". Can't pay bills on "hope to get customers".
We're too old for this entrepreneurial type of business, I guess - starting from the ground up......

wANTED TO SHARE A PIC (2) OF THE BEAUTIFUL SHAMROCK PLANT oops caps .. oh well .. the plant was given to me by my BFF Jo-Anne .. btw ViAnn, her niece Jordan who graduated from the Royal Conservatory in London Eng has played on stage 5 times with Rod Stewart .. I have a video of her ..
Anyway, back to the plant, it has EXPLODED, and I wanted to share ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lovely plant!

Talented for sure

Decided to call today 'over'

Was watching a show and was dozing off, came to bed and now awake. Lol

Verona, ON

Love it M!!! I have 2 shamrocks outside that come back every spring. I keep a pink one inside though as it makes me smile every time I look at it.

Rain, more rain and more rain plus fog here. Duke is still afraid of the rain and won't come out of the carport when we go out. Diesel just looks at Duke like he has 3 heads.
D

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Getting closer to having my deck built ... sometime next summer *sigh* First the brick pillars had to be rebuilt. Thank goodness for retired 75 yr old bricklayers (everyone else is too busy here).

Belated Happy Birthday Marilynne and wishing you all the best with whatever you decide to do Susan!

Thumbnail by Lilypon

WHOA Lilypon .. now THAT is a picture of 2 guys working VERY diligently, your deck will look awesome, well worth the wait.
I've never put my Shamrocks outside, know some folks that have though .. I now have 3 plants, 2 green and the Burgundy, have cut the green ones back (brutally) only to have them come back within a week, sprouting their white flowers, but SO gangly .. am thinking a serious repotting with selected rhyzomes (sp) is in order, but, the burgundy one is just beginning, it's just a FRESH plant LoL

Dianne, Lilly could give a Tinkers yahoo about rain or storms, but wee Piper, well, whole different story .. as soon as he hears rain, he's looking to cuddle .. no idea why he's like that, I guess he and Duke are just soulmates in the rain ^_^

Hope everyone has a wonderful week .. cooling temps for sure !!

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.