What's happening in your neck of the woods August/13 !!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Moring all,

Wakie,wakie,rise and shine
No please sleep in

Drats I'm wide,awake, been tryingm to snuggle in and fall back asleep but not working!
Got to love nights like that.

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

I'm up Betty, and have been since Smokey's 5am wake up 'chirp meow' ... grrrrrrrrr
Like you, once I'm awake, that's it ..
Lorna and i are going for Dim Sum around 1030 ish so it's not a bad thing to be up .. have a few things to accomplish, not anything great and wondrous, but, exercises are at the top of the list, as well as laundry IF I don't have to bend too far, still a 'a cap' on how far I can bend, and NO twisting !! Lorna has been doing the laundry and, has become quite proficient at it .. she can even hang the sheets on the line !!

Susan, sad to hear of the passing of your Church friend, I opened the paper (online) this morning and was saddened to read of the passing of a 'hockey Mom' from years back when both her son, Ken, and Murray played (at 6am in the morning, YAWN) little gaffers back in those days. Mary was a heavy smoker. Nice lady ... 61!

I do think we're going to have a humid day .. sunny .. not sure of the temps ..
Going to the DUMP (landfill) this afternoon (be still my heart), what a loathesome place .. plastic bags hither and thither hanging from the trees etc. BUT, one of the BEST places in the area to see Bald Eagles .. gosh they're beautiful!

Betty, did you cut your grass? I think you did .. Lorna will do that tomorrow .. big job, and, she loves it, I'll putz with house work while she's out there.
Gord is doing well in WI, the fishing is good .. no pickeral, but SunFish and Crappies ..

Best get my shower on the go

Have a great weekend

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

and am I glad I did "M" pouring rain here, great day just to putter and putter I am.
Contemplating going downtown to see if foodland has jars, if so I'll look for canned beets..lol
only thing is I'd have to get dressed, wasn't planning to do that today..just wanted to enjoy

Sorry to hear you've lost yet another acquaintance..sad!

here is hoping the sunshine stays with you so you can have an enjoyable day out.

I'm about 10 minutes away from taking quilt off the frame, oh happy days.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

did u actually get dressed and go to Foodland, Betty?

We went out to a 90th b-day party at our church - I didn't think that Walter was that age yet.....
lol AND another church friend of ours left his job on Aug 26th - he's 87 and is looking for another job!! seriously, he IS!!

well, should get back to the Round Robin stuff..... doing some embroidery for one of 'em.... just in the corner of the border I'm working on.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Holy wahhh Susan..don't you find some take early retirement while they are healthy, travel/zillion things on their bucket list and once done then find they are bored, still much to offer in the workplace so seek employment which keeps them young?

Can't wait to see what you are doing on the round robin piece.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yeah, John really surprised me with the "I'm looking for another job" and he's 87!!
A lot of men are really bored after they retire, and can't handle being away from what they've known their whole lives ie: going to work every day - routine, etc
I laughed and told him he'd better not try to re-organize Thora (his wife)'s household lmao

Victoria Harbour, ON

My step father turned 79 in June and still works as millwright same as he did all his working life..I think he would be retired but means he would be spending all day with mom, I couldn't handle it, best he keeps working to 100.
Lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

LOL yes, best for him to keep working!!

btw - I have a mystery plant. It's in my cousin's garden, and she can't figure out what it is.
and wooo hooo I just found out u can upload all ur pics at once..... didn't know u could, but choose all from same folder, and badda bing badda boom!!
anyway - anyone know what this plant is?

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Victoria Harbour, ON

Very colorful Suzanne, have no clue what it is thought.

Yes, multi photo upload was possible when they made the changes.

Anyone have a brilliant idea of how to sleep beyond 4a.m.?

Susan, is it Golden Rod?
Lots of it here bouts, but, it's considered a weed and some people are highly allergic to it along with Ragweed.

Betty, sometimes if I waken early like that, and sleep is just not coming back, I take a couple of tylenol, seems to work quite well.

HEAVY rainfall alert in the area .. along with TStorms and lightning, a good day to finish up the drawers in the kitchen .. still haven't decided what is the oddest thing I have found in the drawer, however, I did find a ?crochet hook? I haven't crocheted in eons !!! I think Lorna's Mom slid it in there LoL

Filling the Hummingbird feeders one last time, I think they'll be gone soon, so sad to say goodbye to them once again ..

Enjoy your day/week everyone

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

You know what, could very well be goldenrod,lots in our area as well, keep pulling it out the minute I see it.

Will drop in to pharmacy and get some meds on my way home tonight..nausea meds were working fie until I used them all up

Maybe I'll have a morning nap lol

now there you go, could have cleaned that kitchen drawer to see what the oddest thing in the drawer is as well..

well if it rains "M" you can always crochet

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I let my cousin know - sure she'll google it.

heading off to a Board Meeting - chat later

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Just popping in to say "Hi" from Germany and tomorrow we are heading to Krakow in Poland. Had time to quickly read but limited time and need to recharge the computer; so will not add more comment.

Travel safe, and enjoy ViAnn.

Went to the 'landfill site' today, OMG, everytime we go I SWEAR, NO MORE!! Beats the heck outta me how the Municipality gets away with it, course, we aren't the only ones .. but GAWD .. plastic bags hanging from the trees, and the garbage pit is just , well, for lack of a better word, nauseating .. we throw our bags out into the abyss and get outta there as quickly as possible.
in the 26 years we have been country bumpkins, we have seen 5 open pits covered over .. surprisingly, they are 'grassy knolls' now .. you'd never know what lays beneath :-(
The recycling containers are OK, just a bit of a wasp problem around the 'cans bin' ..

Wishing everyone a restful evening ..

~M~

GOOD GRIEF BATMAN !!! The 'F' word is resounding throughout the Northland, and, no one is sure whether to believe it, or not, but .. Lorna went out and picked as many tomatoes as she felt we could handle in the house .
We have several pieces of plastic ready to go to cover the plants.
Stomach sick as the deer pulled and defrocked our corn we had grown, and, spat it on the ground :0(
We only had 6 plants as it was kind of a test .. Gord will be disappointed, but, the fence hasn't been turned on all summer, and the deer have been no problem ..

Have totally cleaned right through the house, Lorna's parents arrive on Sunday for a week .. in actual fact, Lorna has done the Lion's share of the cleaning as I have restrictions I HAVE to adhere to ..

HUGS to all

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

the "f" word - say it isn't so!!!!

It was, but only minimal and in low lying areas.

Haven't said anything in this forum, felt it wasn't my place, but, Betty could sure use EVERYONES prayers and thoughts right now as she goes through a rough spell with a loved one.

Lorna's parents arrive tomorrow, for a week .. it'll be nice to see them, but I am hoping my hip is UP to the cause !!

Just 4C here this morning, furnace is running.

Off to enjoy my tea

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, Susan .. how was the job this past week ?

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes, certainly prayers for Betty and all her family. Greg, Melanie, and Kyle.......

Work - well, the obnoxious guy is no longer the main trainer - Janet has come back from vacation, and the GM and she know about how I was treated my 2nd week on the job. So the end of the 3rd week (Thurs) when they found out, they've put a stop to it, and things are much better.
No one deserves to be treated like that - the teasing went "over the line", and the pranking - they said the boys didn't know me well enough to be pranking me. That didn't bother me as much as the disrespect and put downs I got. Well, it's over with now, and I'm relaxing into my job, as well as putting my head down and just getting on with my job.

Yesterday I heard that my Mom had fallen, and her Life Line was pressed, but no one responded. As the "home" checks on everyone every 2 hours, I'm not sure when she fell, but they found her. My sister Alice came by and had a hard time waking Mom up. Her colour was "off" too. Alice got Mom to eat (she ate the complete dinner), took her out for a walk in the sunshine, and got her laughing at jokes. By the end of the visit Mom's colour was back, and she was looking much better. I don't know if during the fall she'd hit her head, but maybe it just took a lot out of her and that's why she didn't wake up? Anyway, her blood pressure is fine, and the on-call nurse's aide was monitoring Mom all the time. My brother is not to be relied on to look after Mom. I suppose he thinks that the "home" (it's not a care home, and it's not assisted living - it's in-between that) will do everything and he just has to visit. That's not the case, and Alice and Ruth are looking after Mom's regular needs (like pull-ups and Boost). My older sister Evelyn won't come to see Mom or talk to her or my brother Stan. Evelyn and Alice are close, so that's good. No one's talking to Stan, after he took over Mom's bank account. Mom has no idea what he's doing - she thinks the sun shines out of every one of his orifices..

So, our family is dysfunctional again. BUT, Alice and Ruth are doing a wonderful job of caring for Mom. It's difficult for Alice with her lung cancer (she just doesn't have the wherewithal to do as much as she is doing...... and is in her 70's as well), but... something needs doing and as I'm here, I can't help much.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening all

Yes, rough go for sure and all prayers appreciated..

Susan, what a fright for your sisters getting such news..whatever happened to the lifeline? Lucky she is not the worse for her fall. Hard living away from your mom I'm sure when you so want to help .

Great news that things are now settled on the work front, are you enjoying it?

Still out here ^_^
Trying to keep afloat with the company ! Just a couple of more days to go and Lorna's parents will head back east.
Will miss them, but not the cooking and running around, my hip is NOT happy !! But, her parents realize that I am not quite up to par .. whew !!

Murray (son) caught some Lake Superior Salmon in a horrific storm yesterday. Have included a pic. Saturday I'll cook it up for supper.

My brother and fam had a bit of a shock the other day .. their son and fam live in Nepean (Ottawa), their DGS takes the bus to Carleton U !! When they heard of the bus tragedy, things got a bit tense up here, but, all was well .. another Whew !!

Susan and Betty, prayers continue for both of you and your families ..

HUGS

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Really was tragic "M" my heart went to the bus drivers wife who in her agony cried out for all not to blame her husband..something must have gone terribly wrong, perhaps brakes etc.

What a catch, can see by his smile just how excited he is..

I keep thinking Lorna's parents are heading south but you say east?

They won't be with you for the fish fry right?

You did well with all you've done with them so soon after your surgery..take time when they leave to rest, give yourself time to recoup more.

I guess 'direction' is variable .. for us here in Northern ON her folks are east (and south) in King City ^_^
They will be here for the Salmon, it'll be Saturday nights supper. How appropriate, 'the last supper'.

I find I am tired, but, keep pushing .. I'll be OK .. Gord looked at the calendar for next week, everyday is filled with something !!

Off for an excursion to another Conservation area this morning/afternoon, then Chinese Food ..

Take care

M

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi folks,

I'm home now, but we heard of that bus-train accident in Ottawa while in transit in Stockholm airport on Wednesday. Our daughter takes the bus regularly from the nearby station to get to work. And while we were in the lounge for a short time, DH's computer decided that was the time to do an update and the Swedish language defeated my attempts to get in to my gmail on the lounge computers. DH was eventually able to access his work email from one of them and ask colleagues to phone our daughter. Turned out she'd had an interview with DGD's teacher and DSIL had driven her to work a bit later. But we didn't know that until we arrived in Copenhagen.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all

Happy Fall u'all

Ann welcome home, how frightful it must have been for you both worrying about your daughter..what a sigh of relief when you got the news..tragic indeed!

"M" what time do Lorna's family fly out?
How did the fish fry go?

Been up since 4am, plane left @5:45am and I am companyless !!!
It WAS nice while it lasted, and, the Salmon was amazing, I baked it in the oven, very seldon ever fry anything .

ViAnn .. can't imagine your level of stress re your daughter, glad it turned A OK

Off to clean the fridge .. BIGGER fridge=MORE leftovers !!

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I've STARTED to edit pics and post them. You'll find the first easy album at: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151606134855706.1073741835.581705705&type=1&l=5e3e133f8c

Ann, the sidewalk designs are just beautiful, and, fascinating ... lovely, thanks for sharing ^_^

~M~

Popping in for a quick HELLO :-)

Just home from my 'grade 12 girls dinner' .. quite the group .. had fun ..

Bought a new car yesterday, decided to trade in the Toyota SUV and go back to a car .. have purchased a 2014 Corolla LE .. will attach a pic ..

Susan, how's the job going, all OK??

ViAnn .. have made multiple batches of applesauce, this weekend will be PIE weekend

Best get to bed .. dental appt tomorrow ..

Take care

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

no job anymore - got fired - couldn't do the job to their satisfaction...... found out at the end of the day as I was on my way to go buy new glasses. Guess I'm glad they told me before the expense.....

Ohmigosh Susan, not good news to hear at all. Perhaps it just wasn't the 'right fit'.

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning..

Lordy Susan, you don't have good luck at all..you'd have no luck at all if it weren't for bad luck!!!
Did it come as a total surprise or did you have an incling..
you were working for hubby of a friend were you not? must have been difficult for both

Is Bob back workin a bit?

"M" love the vehicle, you pick it up tomorrow? Guess you will be off for a drive, could it be a long drive south?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

both us newbies in the same job thought we were going to get let go. It just so happens that I was the only one.
The hubby is a director, yes, and I haven't said anything to her, but I'm sure she knows by now...
Bob's not working yet, but he's been doing odd jobs, and that's been bringing in some money.
I've applied for EI, but not sure how long that will last, seeing as how I only worked for one month.

Victoria Harbour, ON

let's hope something comes up for you..maybe you should start looking for something/anything outside what you normally do..sometimes those jobs even though they pay a lot less but aren't as hard on the nerves..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - this was one of those jobs - in a call center, making $8 an hour less, but it was a job, doing data verification on a computer screen all day.
Only way I could do a lesser job was to be a WalMart greeter, or a clerk. Sorry, I couldn't do either of those, physically.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Susan, I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. I hope that something comes your way.

Have kept busy all week with things such as getting ready to start bells tonight and designing the tickets for the Ottawa Chamber Orchestra - we are offering a subscription this year; so all 4 tickets needed to be designed (I'm ticket manager).

Did aquafit this morning, but am experiencing some hip-flexor pain. Just booked myself a massage appointment for tomorrow. Do you suppose it has something to do with having walked 5-6 hours daily last week in Copenhagen?

Need to go change the strings on my viola - something I've been putting off for too long.

And I put up one other small album of pics on FB - these pics from Krakow, Poland. You'll find them at: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151608599915706.1073741837.581705705&type=1&l=e60d0652a2

Still have quite a few from Prague and from Copenhagen to edit and post.

Victoria Harbour, ON

You sure are busy, I'm off to look up the link so I can ohh/ahh

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

busy day - just put 20lb turkey in oven for Church Fall Supper tomorrow, Movie Night at the church tonight, so need to get popcorn popper in car, then go fix my tire on the car (there's a donut on it now) and get some groceries for the Supper. After the Movie Night (The Odd Life of Timothy Green), I need to cut the turkey up. and make sure I have LOTS of gravy and stuffing.
Then I have some curtains to re-make for the church hall (some had been stolen, so replacing them)
The Supper is at 5:30 tomorrow. Sunday, after church, I'm on the board for our Community Garden, so need to be there at 1pm because we're having a Community Garden information session for the whole community to come out to. I'm on the "sign up for a garden" table at the beginning and end of the event.

So, may not see you until Sunday night - we'll see if I can "breath" in the meantime.

Busy weekend for you Susan, wish you well with the turkey dinner :-)
Our daughter in laws parents celebrate their 40th anniv this weekend, so, we have that to attend, as well as pies for me to bake !!

Got the new car today (pics attatched) as well as some of this years gardens ..

Off I go

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

You sure have a busy agenda for this weekend Susan...is the dinner a pre Thanksgiving supper? You didn't run movie night all summer did you?
Yep, take time to breath.

Love the photo's "M"' especially like the silver piece in the yard lol.
Now you can put on the miles and head south..
How is it for Lorna getting in and out?

Got my husqvarna this afternoon, was going to try it tonight but decided to wait until tomorrow, not ruin my night.

Promised my SIL/cousin to help her quilt the quilt she made, her very first one..not so sure I'll not end up doing it but I'm hoping as she is an easy learner that she will get the hand of it.

Imagine..picked up boxes so I can wrap Christmas pressies, give my head a shake right??

As Linda will be here around 7:30 best I call it a night

Night night

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Normally I make pies for our Fall Supper (last year made 6....) but this year we just donated "goods" - 10 Ltrs of pickles, etc
We were supposed to have Movie Night in June, but with us being stuck in Kananaskis, we had to cancel it. July & August we don't have it. This was the first one now that it's fall.

The Dinner is the Church's Fall Supper - last weekend in Sept.
A couple in our church is celebrating their 70th anniversary, Oct 5th!! Sure going to go to That party! They're the same age - 88 - ah, young love, eh?
Bob & I celebrate our 15th on Oct 10th

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.