What's happening in your neck of the woods August/13 !!

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Thought I'd move us over ..

Will put the old threads address in another post ^_^

Hard to believe it's August already, and, our Betty is 'ON THE ROAD AGAIN" ..

Happy long weekend everyone ...

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

We came from here,

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1315776/

~M~

Happy 'whatever' day....to those who have the holiday day.
I take it not all provinces have the holiday ?

Dreary and cool here in. Thunder Bay, may get rain later.

Just waiting for some strawberry muffins to come out of the oven, went to a country market yesterday and picked up a couple of baskets.

I see by the other forum, that Betty and friends are on schedule and having fun.
Trust women to be able to plan an extensive vacation and stick to the plan!

Enjoy your day

M

Moved Susan's message over here ^_^
~M~

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB (Zone 3b)

August 5, 2013 3:42 PM

Post #9622249

Betty - the friend of mine, Judy, is a lovely person, and I met her DH back in June too.
She says the GM, Dick, is a kind man, and boy do I need some kindness in Bob's and my life...as well as a paycheque lol

Well, better get back to "stuff" - will cya later

Love and hugs to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Marilynne

The old thread was getting just a bit looooooooooooooooooong ^_^

~M~

Popping in to say HI :-)

Betty is having a great time down south. LOTS of activities and sights to see .

I'm cruising along with the walker, gets easier by the day .. have new exercises to do .. physioterrorist was here Tuesday and added 3 to the 5 (in bed) I already do. These 3 are done OUT of bed and AGAINST gravity .. a bit more challenging to say the very least, making my bum sore LoL

Cool and sunny here, doubtless clouds will skuttle in and we'll be rained on, seems to be the norm this summer.

Hope everyone is doing well

TTFN

~M~

I BAKED today!! First time in MANY months.
Found a very nice banana bran bread recipe, and, used up the strawberries by making a Strawberry coffee cake ..
Was sure tuckered after it all, but, it felt GOOD to be ME again .. mind you. I'll likely be asleep very early again ..
Gotta do those exercises though LoL

Take care all

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yayyyyy "M" so glad you are doing so well, are you already thanking the Lord that it's all behind you? Aren't you glad you are starting to feel like yourself?

Any news on the job Susan..

Waving to both Ann's..how are the gardens?

Talk about a fun morning, private air boat swamp tour, Steve the driver just made our day..yikes, wasn't sure about holder an alligator but we all did.

Toured the oldest grave yard in new Orleans ! Was interesting...

Girls are out shopping, all want to go out mm mll
Ooh just nodded off, need a nap as we are going out for supper then Bourbon street

Anyone got sleeping pills I can put in their drinks

LOL re the sleeping pills in their drinks!! Just hope all settled down and you are headed back north soon
Know you'll be at the OPRY tonight.. ENJOY !!!
I did see the weather is kind of 'wet'?

All here is fine .. supposed to storm later this morning .. DH has gone off west of here to a Sportsmens show .. he and 2 buds have a table at the show. Never have found these shows to be intersting.

I'm diligent with the exercises from the physio, sure aren't easy (yet) but are loosening up my hip tendons. The ones I do in bed are a cake walk compared to the ones being done against gravity !!

Susan .. any news re the job? I think today was the day you were to hear. Best of luck.

ViAnn, my Hosta are in full bloom, so pretty .. will get Lorna to take a pic on the weekend.

AbAnn, what's new in Edmonton ^_^

Best get a bustle on

Have a great weekend

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I got a JOB!! They said "conditional upon my references" but one of my references is the boss' wife lol
I start Aug 26th, as a customer service rep..... with probation of 3 months.
M-F 8:00 to 4:30.

WAHOO .. good for you Susan .. all the best in this new venture ^_^

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ty ty tyvm (my best Elvis impersonation) lmao

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Ottawa Chamberfest is over. In the last 15 days I volunteered at 20 concerts and attended about 10 more. The feast of music is over for another year and I'm in withdrawal. But I might get here a bit more often now.

Good to hear you were able to immerse yourself in music ViAnn.
Sounds like a busy, yet enjoyable, schedule ^_^

Nothing much earth shattering happening here .. I keep doing my exercises, and, I do note strength returning to my right hip/thigh.
Weather is to be better today, a high of 23C, so much better than 16C.

Enjoy your Saturday!!

~M~

PS Susan, loved the ELVIS impersonation :-)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Good for you Marilynne. Keep up those exercises.

I'm trying ... just seems like so many .. the ones i do in bed have become secomd nature now, but, the new ones (3 of them) are kind of rough .. they astually make my hip sore, but, that's because the tendons are getting worked out.
I'll live :-)

Am thinking Betty will be home today .. loooooooooong trip, but a good one it seems.
Everyone is awaiting news on the twins.

Overcast here today .. yesterday WAS a beautiful day ~

Take care

~M~

Well .. Betty is home, and so is her cat :-)
She has some pics posted on the Gen Discussion and Chat forum .. nice ones ^_^

Got my nails done today .. haven't had them done since May .. went for a nice breakfast with DH prior to that, was sure nice to get out .. mind you, I'm kinda sore right now.
Physiotherapist is due this evening .. PLEASE I hope no more exercises !!! I do a set of 8 now .. 5 in bed and 3 against gravity .. it's the last 3 that are making my hip pitch a fit !!

How's everyone doing ?

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yes, home and exhausted! now why did I plan 2 or 3 events each sat while driving some days for 10 hrs. Need my head read BUT sure did enjoy it. Was having fits when the lady who looked after my house said she hadn't seen Riley in 10 days..she must have also been on vacation.

Although you are paining a bit "M" bet you are thrilled to be about.

So you have this fall weather, yikes, so used to dressing for 100f and humidity dressed much the same today and it wS 54f with wind/rain and I froze

Already bathed, in my jammies, going to lay down, must need it as I dozed off in th tub. Wanted to do a walk around the garden but it will have to wait..

The cool temps are sure playing havoc with the country markets here bouts. Not much produce available at all.
Will try again tomorrow for fresh peas.

Still exercising...tough sometimes.

Susan, will you have a lot of training to go through?

Take care

M

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wow, keep this up and we'll have frost..

Noticed the same "M' dropped in the get corn on my way home, no cuc's, beans didn't look that great..did purchase tomato's and they were tasty.

Couldn't believe the price on wild blueberries..tempted to get some but passed on it.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

~M~ - no idea on how long the training is - GM may have said, but I forget....
Start on Aug 26th

Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan, Bet you are catching up on all the things you've left slide and now you are rushing about so all is in order for when you start work. Another few weeks and you will be on a schedule and enjoying it.m is Bob back at work yet?

Akkkkkkkk .. schedules ... good luck Susan, but, in all truthfulness, that's the ONLY way to go.
Without a 'schedule', you're pretty much at the mercy of the world ..
I wish you all the best for sure.

Beauteaous day here, lazed around this morning after doing the exercises, and am going to sit outside ofr a couple of hours, maybe my presence will make the stupid CHIPMUNK that's PEEPING .. stop !!!

Toodles

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Glorious ay here as well, almost think its fall,leaves to be raked, flowers to be deadheaded..Lordy fall's on it's way! Yu know what comes after that right?

Gotto run, hair appt , sure do need it!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

no, Bob's not working yet, and no, not rushing about......... got out of the habit, so been a lazy mutt.....
today Bob called and they said he should stay on UI for awhile yet - at least until the end of Aug b4 he May get called back.........

Susan,at least Bob will have UI ...

Friend of mine in Cowtown went to the BIG music concert at 'M" Stadium (hope that's correct), anyway, apparently 1.5million was raised for the Flood relief!! WOW ....

Lorna's 55th BDay today .. have a cake ordered and Chinese Food for supper .. other than that I think we'll just stay close to home. I would 'like' to go for a ride in the Mule, but, am kind of afraid of the BUMPY factor .. we'll see ..
Supposed to be in the mid 80s here today ^_^

Take care all

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy birthday to Lorna...save a piece of cake for me please!

Lorna sends her thanks. We had a very nice and quiet celebration.
I bought her 'walking poles ', taking her a bit of getting used to, but her balance is improving daily,nice to see.

I'm done with the walker. Using my cane now, feels good, but, I do limp. I imagine that will lessen with time.

After a lot of putzing around, I was able to renew with Daves for a year. Had to do it via my tablet, quite strange.

It's very warm here...35c+

Take care

M

Victoria Harbour, ON

Afternoon "M" and all who lurk

Glad you got your subscription, had to renew mine just before leaving on vacation as well.
Glad Lorna enjoyed her special day.

Lordy I've been in pain, been over a month, suffered through it while on holidays, wasn't quite as bad on holidays, guess it was because I was moving so much. Sitting here doing nothing, pressure is so bad I'm virtually laying on my desk..if it's not one thing it's another.

Going out for lunch soon, will see what the temps are like.

We sure do need rain here...grass is burnt, flowers are all but done..

What are you all up to?

Jeeze Betty .. I know the drug 'flexeril' has worked wonders for all of us here. Me with my neck and shoulders, Lorna with her back, and Gord with his shoulder. It's a muscle relaxant ... I found it didn't make me that drowsy, Gordon it did .. bottom line is, it releived the pain ...

Murray and family just left .. spent the majority of the afternoon here .. everyone trying to capture my interest with their new electronics .. I'll remain "unteched' .. no way am I going to run around with an iPad .. find them kind of big .. I guess the iPods weren't app friendly enough.
Like my cell .. I call, it rings, it rings, I answer .. and.. in a pinch I can text those that are text accepting ...

Lordy is it a hot one here .. the dogs don't even want to be outside .. 35C is NOT my favourite number of degrees .. but, Gord's veg garden is sucking up the heat and things are growing bigger and fatter .. cukes, corn and tomatoes ..
Mind, rain would be an awesome commodity !!

Waving hi to all
Have signed up (after a struggle) for another year ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Is flexeril a prescription drug "M"? Wonderful hat you got to spend time with the family today, not sure with everyone's schedules when we can as a family all get together under one roof.

Love my iPad, think if mine ever went on the blink I'd have a replacement before the day was out..every time Jeff gets a new phone I get his cast off, I buy minutes the month I get it then it sits on the counter unused..dislike phones.

It was. 85 this afternoon..wish I had. Veggie garden to go get tomatoes/cuc's for sandwhiches for supper..not really worth having for one person.

I should go water the gardens but don't have the energy..likely an eRly night gain for me.

Yep .. Flexeril is a Rx drug .. really quite a marvelous product .. reduces muscle spasms and therefore the dreaded pain it causes.

Love spending time with the fam .. I was laying on the bed when they came in, and we ALL ended up on the bed and they cheered me on doing my exercises .

Upwards of 100F here today, but, I went SHOPPING for the first time in SIX months !!
It was just grocery shopping, but I managed it and I am none the worse for wear !!

Have the sprinklers running on 2 of the gardens right now .. the EXPECTED rainfall fell somewhere else !

Easy supper .. got perogies and cabbage rolls from the Polish Legion .. and some fresh corn .. sounds like an odd combination, but, who wants to cook in this heat !!

Take care all

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

86 here this afternoon "m"' glad I didn't shut a/c off.

Want to share your supper? I picked up corn but your cabbage rolls sound delicious..FIL used to make them by the hundreds and always had a tray for me..I really should get ambitious and make up a few batches, cabbage rolls and stuffed peppers, perhaps come fall. Do have spaghetti sauce left over from Sunspday night, guess I'd best freeze or cook it.

Not sure if our water band is on, gardens sure need it..not calling for rain in our region, perhaps I will het up extra early seeing as I can legally only water on even days.

Will have to make appt at doctor's I guess if I want flexeril..Rita told me about a lotion called anakin and it did help this afternoon.

Sitting on the couch while corn is coking but I should get up and find something to do or else this is where I shall stay.

Have a quilt I put on the frame last night, could do an hour or so..getting so lazy!

Hope you feel better today Betty ..
Gorgeous late summers day here .. warm with a cool breeze ... even got out in the Mule for a ride about .. WOW, do we have loads of apples, PIE apples .. best get a bit more mobile so I can put a few pies together in another 3 weeks or so.

A friend from Calgary is asking for T & Ps for her sister, Carol.
Carol is 64, diagnosed with terminal cancer and heading into Palliative Care in Mntrl.
Kathy will be flying east from Calgary on Sunday to spend time with her and the rest of her family.
Kathy is my friend who was going to clean for Carol a couple of years back.

I continue to progress , new exercises are a challenge .. BUT .. after a month away from Methotrexate, I started back on it today and am SO remembering how it made me feel .. YUK !!
So, I am off to bed to ride out the nausea.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening all,

Prayers for Carol,you got to wonder, will they ever find a cure for cancer in our tme.
They were saying York university has tb, not an outbreak, think 4 with it, didn't think it was still around.

Worked all day in the gardens, still much to do but I did make a dent in it..think m pulling almost as many flowers as I am weeds..so overgrown.

At three I drove to stained glass studio, thought I had taken proper note of bevels so I can make Suzanne/Lenny a window hanging for Christmas, drats, short 8 bevels in all..thankfully they aren't diachronic ones, not cheap..layed them on the living room rug after foiling them, now Missy thinks they are to play with..lol.

Been looking for quick recipe for crab apple jam, tree is so ladder down with them, hate to see them go to waste.

Actually going to shut the windows I opened today seeing it feels chilly, temps must have really dropped.

Kyle just left, went and bought an apple book of sorts, of course I had to sit and see all it does, between that and his live script pen he is all set for college.

You aren't doing too much are you "M"?

Betty, I think ViAnne does crabapple jelly .. I know she made peach with rum and ginger last year, sounded so good, perhaps if she reads the thread she'll let us know, we have so many apples this year .. Lorna' s pruning was a godsend ^_^
Thanks for thinking of Carol and family, her sis Kathy is my bud (from Calgary) she'll be arriving in Mntrl very early Monday morning.
Cancer seems to be the elusive disease ..

Did some baking today .. blueberry pie, and then cheese bread/loaf .. the standing was a bit much, but, I toughed it out .. the exercises are really helping me a lot, but, I gotta tell ya .. they are wearing me out !! Have to learn how to breathe properly while doing them, I tend to think they'll be a fact of my life for about 4 months until the muscles that were cut heal completely, there's one exercise I simply can't do as I can't raise my right leg up while lying on my side, the physiotherapist says to just keep at it .. I guess one day it'll magically budge up .. but, not today fer sure ..

Wonder how everyone is doing? Susan goes to work on the 26th .. she must be busy preparing, or , camping ..

Off to bed .. early I know .. but, Smokey had me up at 6am !!!!!

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I do indeed make crabapple jelly and I need to make some more peach too.

DH and the DGTwins picked apples on Monday and there are pics of the processing at: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151549908630706.1073741834.581705705&type=1&l=3870c1d372

I still have juice I need to deal with tomorrow. And I have some peaches frozen and more to blanch, skin and mash tomorrow for a second batch. Hadn't planned to start the peach jam just yet, but a box of peaches I bought on Wednesday morning was already too ripe by Wednesday evening. I have more crabapple juice to process too and since they are being done at the same time, I'll add some (maybe 1/2 cup) crabapple juice to the peaches because it has so much pectin in it.

Betty - it's not jam, but jelly and I think it takes less prep than a jam or butter would. I just remove the stem, cut off the blossom end and cook the apples whole. If there's the odd worm, it will just die and be left in the massed of cooked apple. If I wanted to make crabapple sauce or use the flesh of the apple I'd have to pick them over much more carefully and that would take longer.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

Although a chill is in the air it will be a gorgeous day..
Maybe an crap apple picking day thanks to Viola Ann's suggestions. Guess if I were to leave the apples on the tree it would serve as bird feed this winter? Off to check your link Viloa Ann, am sure I'll love every photo

"M" here is hoping the 100F doesn't mature for you today..much too hot.

Yep, believe Susan will have a zillion things to do today as tomorrow is her first day back in the work force. Wishing her the best of luck

Victoria Harbour, ON

Looks so yummy Ann that I'm off to pick crabapples

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.