Photos from around the yards of some family & mine too

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Feel free to share your photos of your yard, plants, flowers, whatever you got!
These first 3 pics are my Mom's Knockout Rose hedge today, it is looking superb. -
This 4th pic is my Grandparents' front next to the porch, they aren't there anymore but I sometimes stop by there and pull a few weeds in there, it's a nice little spot.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here is my Ponderosa Pine after I potted it up into a bigger black plastic pot. -
I got this Ponderosa Pine from a souvenir t-shirt from the ArborDay gift-shop in Jan. 2004! I wish I had a place to plant it permanently, I just love the tree! Ponderosa Pine is kinda unique to this area, it has cool longer needles, unlike the common Eastern White Pines, Scots Pines and Austrian Pines that are way more popular around here. I don't think Austrian Pine needles are that short but they are quite a bit shorter than Ponderosa Pine's. And, did I mention that Ponderosa Pine is native to the U.S.? Unlike Scots and Austrian Pines, which aren't. Anyway, that pic is no. 1. -

Can you believe there used to be a waterpond right here?! #2 -
Here is what that spot looked like 2 years ago! #3 - Now, you can't even see the former clothesline post, the Hall's Honsuckle has grown a bunch!
Oh, and here is what that Ponderosa Pine used to be in, it was time to upsize!
I resurfaced the top of my succulent/cactus planter with just sand, no little rocks now, it looks better. - last photo -

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Today, I lost a hubcap off my car! I already bought a set from Walmart, I must say, they are quite striking! I couldn't believe that though, I just couldn't believe MY hubcap came off! I was driving around thinking, "I can't believe this, I'm driving around in this beater, I'm 46 years old and I only have 3 hubcaps!"! One of my gosh darn hubcaps had to come off! I went right up to Walmart and got some new ones. I can't be seen in a car with only 3 hubcaps!
They design new hubcaps to look just like those nice, expensive wheels!
You have to get up close to see they're just hubcaps! Hehe.. I'm not complaining!
It goes right along with what I'm going to start telling people, that "I'm a doctor"!
Well, all hubcaps and doctoring aside, I have more plant photos!
The first two pics are my Blackberry thicket. - The Blackberries aren't quite ripe, most of them are still green, I doubt that I'll be picking them. My friend wants to give them to the birds, but that don't stop me from eating them off the vine!
The Hall's Honeysuckle is going up and over my arbor! - #3
The 'Nanho Blue' ButterflyBush from pepper is blooming AGAIN! That thing is pretty, I don't even care if it's leggy, that's fine with me! -
This last photo has several different plants in it. Those English Ivy starts in the fountain water seem to be happy. There's that Lilac, if ya look at the third photo in the post above you'll see how much it's grown in the last 2 years. - last pic
Will

This message was edited Aug 4, 2013 9:36 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

The Rose-Of-Sharon bush is starting to put on a bit of a show. - That's it behind the Elephant Ears. I squirted some bleach out of my dishes bleach bottle squirter, I need to off these mosquitos before my friend sees all these larvaes! Here is the big one in my Comcast webspace, the resized DG one might make them hard to see. -
http://home.comcast.net/~metalglove/pwpimages/100_1213.JPG That photo was taken about 20 minutes after I squirted the bleach, they appear to be gathering near the surface now as they may be in a bit of a panic. I also squirted some bleach in with my Japanese Water Iris, they're bound to be in there too, and there is always alot of water in there.

Ju, you don't need to trade me Hollyhock seeds, mine may be on the way to reverting back to the old-fashioned plain color of maroon. Sometimes they appear black and other times they look maroon. Maybe I can interest you in something else. Everything I have to trade isn't coming to me. This video gives a good view of most of the plants I got. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_wxnv2ihKo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUncIC3pLv0W-KhBjmMVkG6Q
Do you see anything you want?

Here is my newly repotted Banana 'basjoo' surrounded by the regular green Liriope grass. - 1st pic. Here is my Aldi ($12.99) Japanese Maple 'Bloodgood' doing fine in a bigger pot. - 2nd pic. Did I mention that it cost $12.99? ..lol Here is that Ponderosa Pine, in the background is the pedestal for the Elephant Ear birdbath that didn't work out. 3rd pic. That's my shade garden in the background of that pic.
These plants, including my variegated Rubber Tree are in full shade and doing quite well. 4th pic - I learned something about that. About 3 years ago, I was wondering why the leaves on that were scorching, now I am sure why, they were in direct sunlight much of the day. I think there must be a big difference between being in full shade where it's noticeably shady and in full shade of an outside spot, only no direct sunlight. There must be alot of ambient light in spots where there still isn't direct sun but it's still a well-lit daytime area outside. Some of my plants aren't full shade plants, unlike Hostas for instance they can do fine in full shade, they do just fine like this Rubber Tree in "shade".

I cut 6 babies off this Spiderplant today and mailed them to a friend in Tennessee. last pic

This message was edited Aug 5, 2013 11:41 PM

I like how this striped Wondering Jew is so solid and has grown so fast. I'd like to build a planter maybe the dimensions of 4 to 6 inches deep and maybe shaped like a stop sign, about 4 feet wide all around. - pic #1

This next photo is 4 of my extra goodies aka plants! lol You know, those that you buy because it's an incredibly good deal but have absolutely nowhere to plant it?!
Well, actually only 1 is like that as I grew the 2 Oaks and a Kentucky Coffeetree from seeds. But that Leyland Cypress I bought on clearance I think about 3 years ago for $3. - 2nd pic. The 2 Oaks are a Bur Oak and in the back is a Swamp White Oak I grew from an acorn from Powell Gardens here in Missouri. I intend to repot it soon into a bigger pot, it has outgrown that one I'm pretty sure. I got the Bur Oak acorn from a park here in Independence as well as the Coffeetree seed came from Burr Oak state park, (yes, they spell it like that..lol) The Swamp White Oak has an incredible Fall color now while it's young, I think it'll get kinda dull later though. The next 3 pics are of my Butterfly Bush 'Nanho Blue'. It even has a Butterfly on it! Maybe it's called a Fritolary. Do you see it?! It's cream color.
In the 4th pic it's on the left, in the last pic it's on the right, it flew around alot!
In the third pic, my Hall's Honeysuckle is really growing down the other side of my homemade arbor!
Will

This message was edited Aug 5, 2013 8:28 PM

Here is some Blackberries, boy are they good on the vine! - 1st pic.
My Rose-Of-Sharon is putting on a lavender show. - 2nd pic.
Yesterday I amended the soil underneath this Dwarf Emerald Green Arborvitae.
I didn't do the one behind it. I might not do it to that one to see if that mattered by doing that to the other one. I'm counting on those 2 to get big and somewhat conceal the ac unit! I think I got a bit of a wait on me!

I made an addition to the porch hanging houseplants! Now, see the newest Mezoo on the left?! I watered them all today. When I watered that big Spiderplant, a bird flew out of it! Here the porch is, 4th pic.
Here's my succulent/cactus concrete planter bringing up some evening sun! - 5th pic
Will

This message was edited Aug 7, 2013 8:39 PM

My Rose-Of-Sharon is putting on some lavender blooms. - 1st pic.
The Elephant Ears are getting quite large. - 2nd and 3rd pics. That's your 20 inch bigboys right there!

Ju, are you sure you still want to trade me your Red Hollyhock seeds for my "black" ones. Actually, my black ones might be gonna go back to the plain dark red or maroon and you already have that one I saw in a pic on July 1st - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9582679 . I want your red seeds - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9596520&extraimg=3 but are you sure you want my "black" ones? They are supposed to be black but I think the black part might be over. I have plenty of seeds though if you still want to try them.
They are supposed to be Black Hollyhocks (Alcea Nigra), but I don't know for how long. If you want to keep the trade on that's good with me. : )
Here it is today, lots of seeds, see?! : ) 4th and 5th pic.
Will

I got this 10 gallon aquarium filled with soil and ready for the succulents and cactus from the dish outside. I'm going to try to keep some humidity in the aquarium by misting, maybe encourage a little growth on them this Winter. Pic #1 - . Here I was putting some cedar mulch o0n the low are that used to be my waterpond - pic 2 . I mailed a single Spiderplant baby to a friend in Michigan, I am trading her one for a mosquito Dunk. - pic #3. She didn't ask for the baby but I have tons and she said she likes them. I hope it arrives no later than Sat., it was picked up by Usps today. I cut the longer leaves off of it so it fit good in the envelope.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Boy, I see that didn't come out right up there in the previous post, this is what it should say..lol -
"Here I was putting some cedar mulch on the low area that used to be my waterpond - pic 2 ."

I did a little mulching today, okay a lot of mulching! pics #1, #2, #3 and #4.
I don't know if it looks like it but that was nearly 2 cubic back breaking yards! I saved a little for other areas, maybe a cubic foot's worth, not much.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Well, I aim to find out how Virginia Creeper likes sitting in standing water too. I just love Virginia Creeper. I don't care if it's everywhere, I wallow in free plants! Here they are sitting in my big fountain's base, where I have 3 other freebies sitting. In with them, (and mosquito larvae..lol) is several starts of English Ivy, (they've proven to like standing water), Creeping Jenny, (actually the gold kind..aka Gold Moneywort) and Evergreen Wintercreeper. I got them all free, here from the yard or my plants. I would really like to dress up this fountain this year with plants. Kinda make it a plant fountain, (with water), not a running water, (wires and hoses) electric bill fountain - 1st three pics. Here's my concrete succulent/cactus planter featuring my latest addition of E.T.'s Finger's, (honest, that's what it's called). Here's the ac unit landscaping stuff again. Sorry, I just take random photos so hope you like them! 5th pic.
Will

Now, I have new plant, well two actually, as of today, I have Wild Grapevine sitting in the water below with all the other freebies and Mezoo sitting at the very top! - pic #1.

I repotted a couple more plants, a Coral Bells and a Hosta. The Hosta 'Patriot' is out by the street in an apple basket full of mulch, pic #2 & #3, and the Coral Bells 'Palace Purple' is in an old apple basket where my former waterpond once sat, pics #4 & #5. I like light pots anymore and these are plenty light, I'm keeping a good back for gosh sakes!

Here is that Wild Grapevine plant. I came across another one and stuck it in the pot. It looks like it's gonna be a free player in the water! - pic #1 (That's it on the left, between the Winter Creeper and one of the English Ivies).

Here's that Mezoo, topping off my big triple decker fountain! - pic #2 See the little red flower? It's kinda closed up.

The dreaded Porcelain Berry on the climb! - pic #3

My quickie potting bench is coming together, now I just need some paint on it. pic #4 -
It's cut, tightened down, planed and sanded on the top and edges now.
Yippee! I don't have to pot on the ground anymore!

I just put that hanging Fern, (it's a Boston Fern of some sport) planter on the porch this afternoon. That thing is heavy, that's one of those over-sized hanging baskets. That Fern started out as a clearance Fern from Walmart about a year and a half ago. I think I paid around a dollar for it, but after I'd had it about 6 months, it just exploded in growth. 5th pic -
Will

This message was edited Aug 18, 2013 8:21 PM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It's all looking great!!!

Thanks pepper!

See the Bumble Bee on my Purple Coneflower?! - #1

Now here is a striped Wondering Jew! #2

Here is my Dwarf Fountain Grass 'Hameln'

This Black Hollyhock is hanging on! - In the background, is another Hollyhock, a pink one and that's another Spiderplant hanging from the former swing frame.

Here is one neat Mezoo 'Livingstone Red'
Will

This message was edited Aug 19, 2013 6:03 PM

See the stray cat drinking out of my ground birdbath, it's more of a ground watering bowl for wildlife..lol - pic #1

Doing a little potting on my new potting bench. It was a Sweet Potato plant that I bought at Walmart today for around $3. - pic #2 and then.. the mess afterwards! - pic #3

Now this IS a variegated Rubber Plant leaf! - pic #4

Here is a pink Hollyhock leaf! pic #5

Will, that is a perfect spot for that meezo!! Looks great there!! All your plants look happy. Mine look like they've been abandoned. lol. The dogwood I got from you is hanging on though it's not happy. I think the coneflowers sucked up alot of water from it earlier this season. I pulled some more away from it yesterday and will get more maybe tomorrow or Weds.

Thanks, yeah, that Mezoo you gave me is great! It really tops off that fountain good, I'm glad I tried it there, it looks terrific. I wish it was hardier but I'm great with it the way it is!
It's not like the Winter is ideal garden viewing weather anyway. I'd rather leave something out there..lol Well, actually, it's getting crazy on making room for all the plants I bring in.
That photo up there with the Mezoo, shows the Mezoo that I got from you, pepper, and behind it is the Japanese Water Iris in the brown planter, (it's full of water) that I got from happ, I tell ya, I just love those 2 plants!

Thanks, I hope they look okay. I don't think yours look like they've been abandoned, but that is funny!
I know it's different when people have jobs, there's just less time to work in the garden and on your plants, believe you me, I don't have a freaking job and I spend plenty of time outside! lol
I'd rather have a job of course, but if I must spend my time working on my plants and taking photos then so be it!

Glad to hear the Dogwood is hanging in there, the only one I have from that Missouri Conservation bundle is about 3 feet tall and still in a pot, but it's doing well.

I bid you all goodnite with a shot of the hole on the door on the shed, that I crudely cut out with my trusty reciprocating saw. I'm gonna put a piece of glass there that I found, so I can see in the shed without unlocking and opening the door..lol.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2013 12:08 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Mine is also about 3 feet tall. Hoping it survives winter and gets bigger next year. Would love to compost around it but know better with those coneflowers there!! LOL

I got that mostly done and the ol' glass is INSTALLED, (in the door to the big red shed)! - pic #1. I got 3 new plants for my big triple decker fountain! I got a Purple Sweet Potato Vine from HomeDepot for $2.98 and 2 Arrowhead Vines from Walmart for $2.75 each, they are Syngonium Podophyllum 'Butterfly' and 'Maria', pics 2 & 3. The Sweet Potato Vine may stay in the second dry tier, it's now in a clay pot, (as I potted it on my brand spanking new potting bench yesterday), like the 3rd photo suggests, the Arrowheads may stay in the water, it may be sink or swim for those suckers. I like those new ones because they all propagate easy by cuttings, and I'm all about making more stuff! lol Here that orphan Wisteria is, it doesn't have a fence anymore to climb on, thanks to a fallen tree branch from the vacant house next door. I bent the top-rail all straight and tied the Wisteria to it, so climb on old friend! - pic #4 I grew my Wisterias from an old, razed now, restaurant that had a beautiful arbor with this Wisteria growing on it very successfully. Okay, Banana 'basjoo's, start putting on some height before I trade you in! - pic #5
Will

This message was edited Aug 20, 2013 9:50 PM

I received several things in the mail from ju today! Dark Red Hollyhock seeds and I think a Green Spiderplant or maybe Black-Eyed Susans? I got them all potted right up, the Spiderplant is in the fountain. - see it in the fountain?! My fountain is leaning a little, I need to get my BIL over here to help me level it back out. See the waterplants in panty hose to keep some dirt in?..lol
I don't know if you guys go to the Water Gardens forum but I'm gonna present my panty hose theory
this evening..lol
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Ever seen a 'Blue Angel' Hosta in a pot?! - pic #1.

Here's my Cornus Florida (Flowering Dogwood) - pic #2.

This sure is a big, honking Elephant Ear leaf! - pic #3

I was spreading some of the new cedar mulch and what better time to put some in the plain, plastic pot for the Ponderosa Pine - pic #4. I did that to a couple of other plants too, a Coral Bells and my Colorado Blue Spruce 'Globosa' that's in a pot.

Boy, I'm glad these plants like water! pic - #5

The persimmons are still quite green! pic #1.

My Purple Wondering Jew, (Tradescantia Pallida), very purpley! It was early, (around 9:30) and the flowers hadn't opened up yet. -

Here's a Thornless Honeylocust that I grew from a seed. I'm always surprised at these that I grow from seeds, of course I wouldn't expect them to be true, but they don't get thorns! -

I think these 2 Cicadas were friends! pic #4.

I got my Hummingbird feeder filled up with some brand new, fresh sugar water and now I have 2 Hummingbirds! I keep trying to get a photo of the 2 Hummingbirds but I'm not fast enuff! pic #5.

Will

I saw a hummer at work the other day feeding on a butterfly bush then I saw one today when I was at my grandpa's house in the city. I love watching them.

Yes, I too love the Hummingbirds around here.

Those peaches are getting close to picking! - pic #1

Today, I cleaned out the smaller of the 2 sheds, it was getting quite cluttered. - pics #2 & 3.

The Bamboo, (P. bisettii) had the kitty litter jugs showing for a long time. They no longer have the jugs showing because today I covered them all the way up with mulch. pic #4

Even the Forsythia got some mulch! - pic #5

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow shortleaf very pretty shots of your gardens. I am from michigan and the season is all but done herefor the winter. It is pretty gloomy. Hope you dont mind that im commenting. No one really gets on the michigan forum. I love to chat about gardens and can not there. But I have been shade gardeni g for 15 or so years. Have a very small yard but packed lots in it. Like we all must do! Lol! I take awhile for a new friend to be planted. I enjoyed looking at you photos. Here are a few of mine..... the first one is my japanese solomon seals recieved with a trade from a daves gerdener, 2nd are my beloved ligularias they are my favorite shade plant the leaves are huge and they flower with a daisy looking flower. 3rd is my oakleaf hydrandea, my favorite one. 1 have 7 hydrangeas but it gets the long cone shaped flowers white at first then they turn pink and the go copper color in the fall. Love it. 4th are my large blue mammoth hostas and a few other large ones. I mostly have hostas. Really have to love hostas with shade. 5th one is at the corner of our deck. Love this plantjng with all the different colors and stripes.Wel, thanks for letting me ramble. Have a great autumn. Ronna

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123

Thanks gardenlady. Of course we don't mind if you comment. Wow, your Ligularias are really full,
all your shade plants are outstanding. My friend here has some of that Japanese Solomon Seal that she got from the farmer's market. She never did know what they were, now she does, I told her, after I saw yours, they look just alike! Nice Hostas there.
You ramble anytime you want!
shortleaf (Will)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Wow !!! wow !!! again , nice pics here , I think of this as a hidden thread ,,lol

Not as much, but today , before tonight;s freeze

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Aw, thanks Will. I really miss my friends on the Michigan forum but something has happened since I have been gone a couple years. Thanks i absolutley love my ligularias. So far I have I think six different named ones. Iseen a really cool one on a gardening site today but they were for zone 8 of couse they had some yellow spots on them. I unfortunatley am in zone 5. You must be to huh? Oh justlooked you are in MO. Not sure what zone that is. But yes that is what I ahve lots of hosta and epimediums, solomon seals, and my lovly ligularias. Thanks again, Ronna

Ronna, we are zone 5/6ish here in the KC area. In some spots we can zone push to zone 7 but only in a few isolated areas around here. lol.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ronna, you're shade garden is gorgeous! I'm in the St. Louis Metro East (IL) across the Mississippi River from downtown St. Louis in the American Bottom, so I have rich soil that makes gardening easy. About my area in case you're curious:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bottom

Native bamboo, garlic bed, volunteer kale, bird's eye view of veggie garden & pear tree (left), & view from the alley.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here's some of the front yard with my precious pine tree that I brought home in the car from the nursery many years ago. My "baby" is so big now! LOL It provides lots of pine straw & cones & blocks the NW wind in the wintertime.

This pic was taken a few years ago after I finally trimmed the bottom branches because they were intruding on the library's handicapped parking spot. The librarian was very grateful.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

Hi Ronna, I missed where you asked about the zone here. I think the Great Lakes there give you a better zone than regular for being so far North. Depending on where at in Michigan, I think it could even be the same as ours here, 6a. - http://www.ehow.com/info_8188704_growing-zone-michigan.html Like Pepper said, it varies from 5 to 6 with some 7 in areas. Down in extreme southern Missouri, (in the bootheel region) it is zone 7. My friend used to live there so I looked up the zip code (63873) in the plant hardiness zone finder. Just click on your state here or enter a zip code, (I had to do it 5 times because of that stupid security thing..lol) - http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/# Greenbrain's area looks like zone 7 too. Even here,
I can't see the horizon on the North (due to a hilly incline) and I think it makes my backyard better for growing less hardy stuff, it's not much different I'm sure, but it must be a little.
Will

This message was edited Oct 22, 2013 10:15 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My area is just barely 6b. Just a bit north is 6a.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here's a link to the 2012 revised zone hardiness map. You just enter your zip code to search. I confirmed that mine is now 6b; no longer 6a.

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

You're right Will. Plainwell, MI is zone 5b. I thought that I remember the southern part of MI showing as 6b. I read that has something to do with the surrounding great lakes.

I'll have to check back later. It's time to leave for church.

Okay, I was just going by this. - http://davesgarden.com/zone/show/Tornado_Alley1
Yours sounds more right actually, I don't think there's that much zone 7 in Missouri.
That kinda looks a bit inaccurate if you ask me, but earlier I was thinking it was more official.
I would never just give my opinion on something like that, I'm not that good in that area! lol

Here are my 2 Ligularias 'Midnite Lady'. They're still a bit pitiful looking, but I just amended the soil about 2 months ago, (they got a little turned around in place..lol) so maybe next year they'll look more decent. - Haha.. 1 of them only has one leaf but their alive and doing okay. I got them from pepper in 2011, they were in small pots then. - photos 1 and 2. In the third photo is my overall shade garden, it's only 4' x 7'. - Nice pics btw, Betty. That's a cool Eastern White Pine tree. Here's the Ligularias in June, 2011. -
Will

All of my ligularias have died. Grrr.... Even the one I planted this year bit the dust because I couldn't keep up with watering with all the remodeling going on.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well hello Will and Pepper23. Thanks for the pics I love the ligularias. One of mine I recieved in a swap here in michigan was so small I thought this will never ever make it. But now it is pretty and big it even flowered this year. I just love them the leaves and flowers. They are so big and neat. Monarches like the flowers also. I had to cut mine all down for the winter they were looking pretty haggered. Sad is how I feel. Do you have a problem with slugs onyours?
What other shade plants do you have. Mine is so full. I did get an autumn bride huechera this year it is so pretty. Blooms all autumn and profucely. I am in zone 5. I already knew that. Well have a great weekend. Happy gardening to you all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.