ORVG # 199, SUMMER, FALL & Maybe WINTER

don't count on my apple pie. just don't have time. i will be buying something instead
Ric how many apples did you want ?

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry Marcy, just got home. Don't have any propane for burgers. I could put them on the George Foreman!

I thought we'd start arriving at 11:00 ish and plan on eating at 12:00 ish. Does that work for you and the car show?

I'm making layered salad, Sherry is coming and bringing Cheesy potatoes. I can open a can of baked beans!!

Haven't heard about Karen...hmmm wonder where she's been? Ric, if you have her number, could you give her a call? Not sure she knows how to get here.

Looking forward to seeing you all!!!

i got
tortallini salad.. and cider

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well sorry all...got some bad news here. I had to hurry home from the grocery today because I got sick. I sure hope its just a little bug..and not the flu! Anyway...we wont be coming tomorrow after all, since I feel so lousy. And I was so looking forward to it too!
So I guess dave can do his car show...and I will stay home. Hugs to all...will try for spring!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sue I can't remember what size bag you brought last year...... 1/2 bushel? Peck?

I'll call Karen in the morning Joyce...I have her hubby's number.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Marcy, I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. I was looking forward to hugs from you and Dave. I'm already looking forward to next years RU, too!

Thanks Ric. Hope she's alright!

feel better soon Marcy
Ric may have been a peck. 1/2 bushel is pretty big .

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow...awfully quiet on here. We had a nice time on Saturday. Smallest group ever, but lots of good food and conversation.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Not sure what has happened to Karen. She just disappeared!! Come back, Karen!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning. So glad u all had a good time. So sorry I couldn't make it. My stomach is still not feeling its best. Wish this would just go away!
Missed seeing you guys!
Been trying to get bulbs planted and Dave brought me some winter pansies to plant!!
I hope they all grow!!! If they do...I should have some great pics of my new bed next spring!

Waddy, KY

Marcy, hope you're feeling better at this point. Stomach stuff is the absolute pits. I can handle many things hurting but when the tummy is upset I'm down for the count.

Got some marinara sauce on the stove cooking. Finally got that going. A friend snapped my roma's and hopefully I'll get them going tomorrow. I still have squash in the cooler to make into pickle and some peppers I'd like to get into relish before they totally go south. Still so so much to do. Hopefully I'll get DH to put the tiller on the tractor and get some more lettuce and maybe more kale in the ground tomorrow. Then I'd like to see a little rain please.

I've quit planting bulbs at the other house. I still have bulbs at the house I'm living at that need to be moved and if I'm not up there to keep the deer out of the yard or see the flowers bloom then I'm not planting them. Same with the hydragenas. They'll eat them and the hostas clear into the ground.

I did get a friend to paint the porch and railing a couple weeks ago. It's been bare wood for a couple of years now and I just decided that since I didn't have time to do it and he'd just retired and was piddling around I'd pay him to do it for me. He's also been helping around here a few days a week. He fed cows for the first time yesterday. Was a bit intimidated but he put his game face on and got right in there and did it. And came back today for another dose. I'm afraid to get too hopeful on regular help. I'm afraid he'll get a city job that pays better but I think he's having fun right now. He's help and I'll take it!

First lamb for the fall came this afternoon. I was figuring twins but she just had a single. Anyway, it's alive that looks healthy so that's what matters.

Had some Red Delicious apples from the orchard in Owen Co. this season and they have absolutely been the best RD apples that I've had in I don't know when. Usually I don't like the peel on them but I just can't say enough about these apples. Wonderful. Looking forward to their Enterprise to ripen.

Good to hear you all had a good time. I just can't get away for either of the roundups due to the markets. Those are my paydays and I've just got to be there.

Heading toward the sack. Nite all.

not much going on here.
apple orchard work today
yoga tomorrow. thinking i may take the instructor course next year ?
kids are doing good,
Lucy is Lucy and then some LOL
trying to sell off all of our show bunnies and chickens. two died... so that leaves me with two lonely roosters grrrrr. no one will buy just a rooster ...
off and running

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm back! Sorry it has taken so long. Sorry I missed the R/U. It has been crazy here. Thursday night my son learned why I don't want him jumping on the bed. He jumped head first into the corner of his dresser and tore his back up sliding down the dresser. He ended up with a huge knot on the back of his head and no skin on the left side of his back. I'm not sure what on the dresser tore his back up so much. He'll be fine once he heals up.
My Great Aunt had a stroke Friday night. It has affected her mind more than anything. She's 86 and lives alone. We are going to take turns staying with her. She doesn't want to leave her home. I don't blame her one bit. She has a real bad heart and now with the stroke it's only a matter of time. She has a daughter that lives close that can stay with her during the day. Then we have 7 to do nights so each one of us will have a night to stay with her. I'm happy we were able to work it out and keep her at home.

Marcy, Hope your feeling better! I have both Iris for you. I could meet you in Eaton someday for lunch or we can work something else out.

Joyce, Glad everybody had a good time at the R/U. Sorry I missed out! Last week was a Murphy's Law week for me. If it could go wrong it did in a big way. With my fingers crossed this week has been going better. I turned my computer on for the first time in over a week this morning.
My computer time is the first thing cut from my routine if time is tight. Things have been so hectic I didn't even think about the date last week. I'm sorry to leave you in the dark. I got Ric's E-Mail this morning. Wish I has at least checked my e-mails.
Maybe we can get together and go to some Fall festivals. Barn and Bunk by my house has their's up and going so I'm sure other farm's have them going as well. We are planning to go to Barn and Bunk this weekend. They are having Firemen Appreciation weekend. They have a lot for kids to do. They have a apple sling shot. You buy 3 apples for a buck and sling them into the field. They have tubs of water out in the field and if you can get a apple in a tub you win a pumpkin.

Esther, Hope you and Bob have a nice and safe time in Turkey!

Sue, Nice to see your back!

Janet, Congratulations on the first fall lamb. Hope everybody else comes out happy and healthy!

Better get going! I have a million things to get finished before I pick up my son from school. Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

We figured it was something like that, Karen. I know you had been looking forward to the outing. Sorry you missed it.

We had good news today. Bill got results from his heart and lung tests and they came back good. He has a leaky valve, but it's nothing to worry about and nothing to do about it right now. His sleep study came back with the results of severe sleep apnea. I tried to tell them that, but they wouldn't listen to me!!!! Anyway, now he can get a C-pap machine and he will feel much better. So this news today was a wonderful anniversary gift. 33 years today. And they said it wouldn't last...... ;o)

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Congratulations, Cookie

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Lou.

Happy Anniversary ,congrats Cookie to you and Bill. I m happy to hear his test results came back good. Sleep apnea is not good, but glad he is getting the c-pap thingy to help.
I m going to Metallica Imax theatre tomorrow woohooo can't wait ! . got my yoga friends and we will head out hope to catch the 2 pm show.
short day at the apple orchard, good thing too. i m tired.
Karen sorry to hear about your aunt. Sending healing thoughts to you and hope you can get some relief from life and an easier pace sets in for you. Ouch poor kids. no more monkeys jumping on the bed . :) hope he feels better soon.
smiles'

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Joyce, Happy Anniversary! Good to hear Bill's test's came back good. Bill will love the sleep he gets with the c-pap. My Bill has had a c-pap for about a year and half. He says it makes him feel a lot better. He lost weight with the c-pap. They get better sleep and don't need to snack all day to keep up their energy level. Hope your Bill like the c-pap as much as mine does.

Sue, Thanks!
Hope you have a good time at Metallica Imax show. My DH is going with some friends to see it tonight.

Guess I better get my kid ready for school! It's raining so hard he may have to float to school. lol
Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you on the Anniversary wishes! Yes, I'm excited about him getting the CPAP. I know he's going to feel sooooo much better. He still has the A-fib, and he thinks that is probably what is causing his chest pain since the other tests came back. Hopefully, after he gets some good sleep that will ease up, too.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

joyce, just tell him not to give up, if it seems to not be "right" at first. There are many adjustments, different masks, or delivery systems, and he can find one that he is comfortable with. My DH gave up on his, and despite urgings from his regular Dr and me too, he hasn't gone back and tried it again. I know he would feel so much better if he adequate sleep.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm pretty sure Bill won't give up. Both his brothers use Cpaps and have told him how much better he'll feel when it is finally right. So keep all your fingers crossed that it will be adjusted quickly!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey all! Happy anniversary Joyce n Bill!
Karen, hope your son will be ok too!
Sue ...glad u enjoyed the show!!
I've been busy trying to get plants in, that have to come inside, and bulbs planted. Think I planted close to 90 bulbs in my new bed..whew! Now planting winter pansies...im a glutton for punishment!!
Hope Bill gets along ok too Joyce!
time for bed here...tc all hugs

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Sorry to hear your DH gave up on his c-pap. I know how hard it can be to sleep with someone with sleep apnea. Did he try the nose pillow mask? Bill uses them on his and really likes them. He has become a spokes person for the c-pap. lol
Before he got his c-pap he used those breath right strips. They helped with the snoring. They didn't help when he stopped breathing at night. Which is what always scared me.

Joyce, Hope you had a great Anniversary! I hope I can make it 33 years with my Bill. We have been together 10 years so far.
When does Bill go for his sleep study? I'll pray for you and him that everything goes smooth. The c-pap should help with his a-fib. It will reduce the strain on his heart at night. Which in return will reduce the strain on your heart.

Marcy, Glad your feeling better!
He's healing up pretty good. He still has scabs on his back but they are looking better. The bruises are starting to fade. I'm not sure he learned his lesson. He got in trouble last night for jumping on the couch. He says he thought it would be safer than jumping on his bed. It might be if there wasn't a huge window behind the couch. I guess it's time to go to one of those bounce play lands. We haven't been since last spring. He climbs my trees like a monkey in the summer. If only I had some of his energy. I would get so much more done in a day. I have to drink caffeine to keep
up with him and my house.
Your going to have a pretty show in the spring. It will make all your hard work worth it. This is the first year I have not planted any bulbs. I have to many loose ends in my yard I need to wrap up to plant any bulbs.
We have a huge tree stump out by the road that I want to build a raised bed over to cover it. Somebody ( we won't mention names ) was going to grind it out this year. It has never happened.
I'm not going to try to grind that thing out myself. So, I'm thinking build up and over it. The only problem with building up and over is it will add to my trimming. We have more than enough trimming already. I'll have to think about it some more I guess.

Guess I better get to my house work. I'm going to stay with my Great Aunt tonight. Have to get things together here so things won't be so bad when I get home.
Karen

Metallica was awesome ! it was like actually being at a concert . almost. It truly is a experience with an IMax theatre.
im pretty tired though. this old girl ain't the rocker like she used to be.
pretty busy day at the apple orchard. 150 gal of cider and a custom press. long day.
Marcy wow 90 bulbs ? i was thinking of doing some bulbs but just got lazy.
i m selling all my chickens, even the laying ones. Just have my focus on other things. :) and tired of cleaning out the coop.
good luck on the tree stump Karen. sounds like a big task.
Cookie keeping my fingers crossed for Bill and the cpap.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Karen...you could put a large container of flowers on the stump...and then plant more around it? When we first moved here, there were two big stumps in my front yard...and that's what I did with them for a couple of yrs...then had them ground out. But they were at least tolerable to look at for a while...lol.
I know....Sue...what was I thinkin??????? Thought I would never get them all planted. Thank goodness the soil was soft and easily dug up. I just hope the voles don't eat them all...then I will be ..uhhhh...ticked off..big time!!!!
Well...we were going to the 4th street fair in Richmond today...but so far..its rain rain rain here!
Sooooooo....not sure what we will end up doing? At least I don't have to water!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Karen glad to hear everything is getting close to normal again....lol!

On the stump, Get a spade bit about 3/4" across and drill down as deep as you can.
Get some Stump Rot Chemical Crystal at the locale HD, Lowes or Garden Center.
Pour them in, wet a bit and cover w/ plastic.
Then do what ever you want, put a pot on top, etc.
After about 2 years the stump will have completely rotted away and you can plant over it.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh that Ric...he knows EVERYTHING!!!

Bill already had his sleep study. They said he stopped breathing an average of 38 times per hour. He had an in-home test. Now he goes back next Monday to get a cpap and hooked up again. Then I guess we'll get serious about finding a machine for him. No insurance, but we want to get a good one. The Dr. told us that we would probably do best finding one on line. Nice of him to tell us that!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Sue, Glad you had a good time. Bill said the same thing about the Metallica show. He loved it! Maybe I'll get my turn to see it soon. One can hope any way!
Thanks for wishing me luck on the stump I'm going to need it. lol

Marcy, Do you dust your bulbs with baby powder? I dust mine and mix some in the soil around them. It's works great for me.
Thanks for the tip on the planter. I have several big planter's. Now to figure out which one looks better out there of do I want something different.

Ric, Thanks! I hope normal is on it's way. The past few days have been nice and peaceful.
Great tip! Thank You! I think I'm going to combine your tip with Marcy's tip. Sure beats spending money to build a raised bed out by the road.

Joyce, Check if you buy a c-pap on-line who will do maintenance on it. Bill's c-pap put's up code's every now and then and he has to take in to be checked. The doctor may be able to help you with maintenance information. I'm not really sure who Bill take's his machine to have it checked. It may just be the doctor. He always deals with it on his way to work. Hope you find the best c-pap at the best price.

Bonnie, Went and bought me a trap for the chippie. He's going to be moving here soon. He has been causing more and more problems. The trap says it will work for rabbit's as well. It may end up getting a lot of use.

I'm getting a late start here today. I got home late this morning and have not been moving as fast as I need to. I need to try to get outside between the rain and get some things taken care of.
Karen

Morning folks.
going to the halloween city in Troy today, kids need costumes. I m planning some cool things for Jessica's garden. a bit more ghoulish'er this year.
raining here to Marcy.... not fun.

Waddy, KY

Not much going on here. I got 7 ewes and 9 lambs in the barn right now and somehow got stuck doing the feeding and watering. I made the mistake of mixing up lambs the other night and now the rightful momma doesn't particularly want baby so I'm the one stuck making sure she gets her supper. Got some sheep netting moved so they can have a little more pasture and got all my tents from the wet weekend market out and up to dry. Seems like I was doing something all day but don't have anything to show for it. I am going to go ahead and put these squash pickles in the jar before I go to bed just so I have something to show for the day. Personally going to bed sounds like an excellent idea. I haven't baked all day and personally have no desire to do so this whole week but that can't be.

We got around 3 inches of rain over the weekend. Others got more but what we got was surely enough. Wish I'd gotten some lettuce planted but you always wish you'd gotten one more thing done before a storm. Just human nature I guess.

I haven't seem Peggy posting for a while. Has she flown the coop?

Hi Janet, noticed on Friday that the restaurant on main is OPEN! Now to just get a day where both of us can arrange our schedules and have lunch.

Felt like yesterday that we needed to start working on our ark. We now have to drain some water from the swimming pool in order to close it for the season.

Waddy, KY

I think there's a Mexican restaurant there now. Pretty soon there will be no "American" eat shops in Shelbyville other than Cracker Barrel.

I think we got around 3 inches total. SIL got 5 in Frankfort and others got everything in between. I know the ground is totally sopping. I think I'm going to seed some lettuce in some trays and try to transplant it. Should have gotten ground worked and planted but my Shoulda's, woulda's and coulda's would write a book.

Apple butter is popping on the stove and I'm cutting squash for squash pickles. Got some corn that needs shucking and cutting off the cop and some peppers that REALLY need to be seeded and chopped. Better get moving.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Everybody! I had a embarrassing trip to the grocery store yesterday. There was a lady in front of me in the checkout line yesterday, she had several big bags of dry cat food. My son asks her if she has some cats. When she said she had 14 cats, he says OH, you must be a hoarder! I wanted to crawl under something.

Sue, Hope you were able to find the perfect Halloween costumes. Halloween is one of my favorite's next to Christmas.
Please share Jessica's garden with us when you are done decorating. I peeked at last years and you do such a good job, I can't wait to see her garden this year.

Janet, Congratulations on the healthy baby lambs.
Have wondered about Peggy myself. I have also wondered what happened to Celene. Hope they come back.

Better get busy have a million things to do today. Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

hello everyone
i agree with your son Karen. 14 cats ? ! ummm yes i think once you hit 10 you are an official hoarder LOL .
here are some pics
busy here with apple season
trying to get rid of chickens and rabbits.
so far got 9 of our chickens gone. 9 more to go and 7 rabbits
i think this sat i will go to the auction and sell the rest and the cages.
just got other project i m spending my time on
hope everyone is well

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Sue good job decorating for Halloween.

thanks Bonnie.
we still have more
a large spider, get the cobwebs on the tree and some lights
i think we will keep our skelaton Larry out during the holidays. dress him up for each season
other then that things are good
Ric how are the apples ?
we are still pressing cider, going to be a long season. press until monday of thanksgiving week.
hope everyone is well
Cookie i will be in your neighborhood thursday , ( i hope ) lets make a date girl.

Waddy, KY

A little drippy this morning. Been to the barn. Nothing else has lambed. Right now I think there's nine ewes and 14-15 lambs. Soooo cute to see running in the pasture. Kids are kids regardless of what species.

Was helping feed last night and made the mistake of coming around the barn door just about the time five ewes were dashing for the feed trough. The first one caught me full on and it was like being hit by a linebacker. I hit the ground hard. I'm sure hoping that I didn't tear a rotator cuff because there's certain ways I move my shoulder that shoots quite a pain. Taken out by an ewe. Who'd a thought.

Finally getting around to getting my sauerkraut in the jars. Should have done it over a month ago cause I had to throw a good bit away to get to good kraut. Live and learn I reckon. HWB is going on the stove right now. Got one more 5 gallon bucket downstairs and that will be done.

SIL has gone to Korea for a Peace Corps reunion for the next 10 days so I'm in charge of my MIL in addition to everything else. Sometimes I'm jealous of her life even though she thinks she's terribly burdened sometimes with all she does here with the house and her mother. I guess we all think the grass is greener.

Better get moving. There's sheep to put in the pasture, kraut to can and breads to bake. Later

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey everyone! I have been reading about you all!
Good idea, Ric, on the stump! Why didn't I think of that???? LOL...becauseeeee....my brain doesn't always function like it should...hahahaa!!!
Went to the dr yesterday...ruined my whole day.! Just because of the hour of the appt. I couldn't go outside n get dirty before...and by the time it was over, it was suppertime!! But the good news was..im gonna live!!!! LOL! It was just a yearly checkup. Of course I still have to go for bloodwork, mammogram, back in two weeks for BP check, etc.
And would you all believe...................ta daaaaaaaa...I am DONE planting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well...for THIS season that is!!!
We went to our annual fall ...antique n garden show in Troy last weekend. I had told Dave before we left...DONT you DARE let me buy any plants...yea right!!! So what does HE do????? He found two roses for us to buy...geeeezzzzz. Of course...that meant we had to dig a new spot for them...!!! But...they are in...I am DONE!!
Like all of you...its been busy busy busy here...trying to get things done between raindrops!
We got 3 inches from that last big one! That's good though...going into winter...need the moisture in the ground!
Ohhh...and..more news! This show in Troy that I go to every spring and fall..she has the most beautiful huge bottlebrush buckeye shrubs. I mean..they are gorgeous. I have asked her to try n get me a start for the last 3 yrs or so. She always says she will..but never does..ok?
I quit asking...lol. Welllll...this yr, when we walked in...she grabbed me and said...DONT YOU leave without seeing me...I have something for you!!!! Yep...she got me a bottlebrush!!!
And wouldn't even let me pay her for it!! Its small..but it will grow!!!! And yesssss.....its planted!!!!! I cant wait to see it get big!!!!! Nowww...all I need is one of those red buckeye trees....hahahahaa...I love those too!!!!

Marcy, if I knew where to get one, I sure would. I love to see a garden that is complete. Mine is always a work in progress, and some things fall out of favor, while I develop a new obsession. Isn't that always the way. And great news that you are going to live!

Janet, taken down by the ewe. So how many places are sore or bruised or both from that encounter? I am going to try out that new restaurant in Shelbyville on Monday, with a couple of neighbors, so I will let you know if it is fit for a lunch date for us. Surely things will slow down for you where you can get a couple of hours off where we can have lunch.

I think I am through bringing in all the plants that need to be inside. Dug and potted up amaryllis and they are residing in a cool dark place until about the first of December.

This week I have something every day. Took a friend to Lexington today for a colonoscopy and that took most of the day.

Put a meal in the crock pot this morning, thinking I would have most of supper done, well, I would have had I turned it on! I have a fix it and forget it cookbook, but I am going to publish one fix it and remember to turn it on cookbook!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm back! My computer had a major malfunction and had to go off to be fixed.
Have been struggling with the fish tank the past couple weeks. The fish ( claim to be hardy) are dying off. The frogs (claim to be fragile) are doing great. The snails and shrimp have died. The ph of the water has went sky high the past week and no matter what I try it doesn't seem to improve. We have spent a small fortune on chemicals and special water to try to fix the problem with no luck. Hope it gets straightened out soon.

Sue, I love it! You really did a great job. I bet the spider looks great.

Janet, Sorry to hear about your ewe accident. That had to hurt. I sure hope it's not your rotator cuff. Hope your shoulder heals up for you. I know it sounds funny but , try putting horse liniment gel on your shoulder. A friend told me about it after I fell down the stairs a few years ago. I laughed but, tried it and it helped.

Marcy, Glad your going to live. Good Luck on the blood work results.
Congratulations on being done planting for the year! If your sure that your done!
Your so lucky! My husband never picks out anything to plant. He'll help plant anything if I buy it and ask him. Other than that he doesn't really get involved.

Bonnie, Don't feel bad. My garden's are all works in progress. I'm not sure that I'll ever call them complete. What fun would that be anyway!
Sorry to hear about your dinner that never cooked.

Better get going! Have to get things finished up for the evening. hope everybody has a Blessed evening!
Karen

Waddy, KY

Well, the shoulder is ok. Must have just pulled something when I went down. Went to the MD about my back and said something about the shoulder and he immediately wanted to x-ray it but the machine was down. I think I'll skip that expense now. They are going to do PT for the back and the numbness going down the leg. Sounds like a plan IF I can get the exercises done.

Need to get the sheep on some Johnson grass before it frosts. Better get out there and get the fence moved. More later....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.