ORVG # 199, SUMMER, FALL & Maybe WINTER

Waddy, KY

Sleet and freezing rain. They've gone to do the feeding. Never turned the sheep and goats out at all this morning. They were a little miffed but I think if they'd went out they'd just wanted back in the barn.

Got a few parsnips dug before my hands were so cold I couldn't stand it. Nowdays when they get cold like that they hurt like the dickens for a while after they start warming up. Not fun. Been sticking to the house since noon and liking it just fine.

Don't know if I'm going to market tomorrow or not. Guess we'll make that decision tomorrow morning early.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

We have a about 4" of snow at this time and it's still falling at a rapid pace. I just shoveled my back deck off for my dogs. I was covered by the time I finished. I hate that my little guy is sick and we can't go sledding.
I spent some time this morning shopping for Christmas. I have 3 people left to buy for and I'll be finished. Never mind that I have never even mailed out my Christmas cards yet. Maybe I'll get around to them this weekend.

Janet,
Yes, It is amazing how fast things can go wrong! We have had some really bad asthma scares. Last Feb. he was in the hospital overnight twice. Hard on the nerves when it's your baby. I do much better if it's me that's sick.
Your poor goats and sheep wouldn't have been miffed if they were left in the barn around here today. It started to sleet around 11 pm. and has switched over to snow sometime this morning. My female dog is miffed every time I put her outside. She runs and hides when she hears the word outside.
Please be careful if you go to market in the morning. Ice can take you down fast. I'm going to stay inside this weekend and bake what ever sounds good. It's a good weekend to gain a few pounds!

Need to get going! It's breathing treatment time. Hope everybody stays safe! have a Blessed evening!
Karen

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Janet, is your market in a shelter ?
We have a garden center that let's us use there big greenhouse for our winter market.
It's not heated, but sure beats being outside. We do once a month, Nov., Dec., Jan., & Feb.
After that they have it full of flowers & plants.
I go to their parking lot with eggs on some Sat. Tomorrow is the day. All the eggs are ordered.
Still, tomorrow will be -15º. Brr!
Bernie

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Meant to add a picture.
My booth has the tomatoes!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Waddy, KY

Bernie, we were outside today. It wasn't too bad, 28 degrees but it's amazing how wimpy the public has become. It gets cold with a little snow on the ground down here and they just quit coming to market. Interstates were fine but there were several vendors that didn't try to come off their ridgetops this morning. That made the manager decide that even though this was to be the last market before the indoor market starts, that because many didn't make it today that if we wanted to we could come again next week. Guess I might as well. The middle of January we get to go inside in one of our other vendors greenhouses. I'm looking forward to that. Out of the wind and surely on sunny days much, much warmer.

Columbus, OH

Day One of my North Market show: Glad it's over. 6am to 6pm. *yawns* I am curled up with the dogs and reruns of Firefly.

Weather here wasn't bad at all today, hoping tomorrow's will be better for everyone!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I used the day to make cookie dough and froze it. I rolled it into logs and all I will need to do is slice and bake when I am ready.

I made oatmeal raisin, peanut butter, and chocolate chip. Tomorrow I will do Lorna Doone and Pecan Sandies. I am going to put together a little package of cookies for all of the NH residents.

cold here
i agree , many people act like its a blizzard .
not much going on here
found carpet its called Caslte Walls. ( kinda of a slate color ? ) found a hard wood floor too Mocha Cherry but honestly its out of our budget , but its soooooo pretty. its for a small area in the basement .
Paint is almost done , just have the bedroom left.

Thumbnail by
Waddy, KY

Made some macaroni and cheese soup and lemon bars yesterday for everybody since they spent the day out working cows. Neither seemed to last very long. Haven't made any cookies yet. Second child is trying to loose weight so I try not to make too much sweets since it's just another temptation. And I don't need it either.

Cold and damp here today. I really didn't want to go outside any at all. Put two pots of salsa on to cook on the wood stove. That gets it started and after it's cooked a while I'll bring it upstairs and finish it on the stove.

Sue, your remodeling job looks darned good. I witched at my husband today about the house not being done. I know it fell on deaf ears once again. I think next summer I'm just going to call our friend to come dig the septic system with or without DH's help. It's too wet to do it now and money's tight in the winter so I reckon I can wait at least that much longer.....

Janet I think you have been way more than patient. I would have already made some graves in the front yard there, and it would be in a position where you could say "I did it my way" every single day of the year!

Had a touch of a stomach virus today, so just laid low and did nothing. Well the required load of laundry but nothing else.

We had to go to a memorial tonight for a guy in the community who dropped dead last week. Only 49 years old.

NH day is tomorrow. BTW the cookies will be baked and taken to the NH, I promise, I will only taste one of each different kind.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow, Bonnie! I am so impressed! You're making cookies for "ALL of the NH residents"!!! Wow, you must have been really, really busy!! ;o)

Waddy, KY

I'm in the mood to make cookies, just haven't done it yet. I have to get off my duff and get the rest of these Christmas presents bought especially if I'm going to be using the internet. I at least have to give them time to get them here.

Been making salsa this week. Got two batches on the stove cooked down to put in the jar tomorrow and two batches downstairs on the wood stove cooking slowly. Then I think I'm done for a few days until I get a few other things done. Like those cookies, Christmas cards and a few presents wrapped. Need to get up to the other house and turn the heat on up there. The water pipes have been drained but they say it's not good for a house to not have heat so I just need to get up there since that's not high on that other person's list.

Looking at buying a pallet of canning jars for the market stuff. I got some sample jars in tonight. Geez, that FedEx man was still making deliveries at 7:30 and those lazy dogs didn't even announce that there was another person on the farm. Looked out the window to see lights streaking past and was wondering who was stealing what! Anyway, I guess I'll call tomorrow and see what these folks can do pricewise on jars. Hopefully they'll be cheaper than Wal-Mart.

Yes, Joyce, I will be taking them in on the 24th. I have made dough and rolled it into rolls and frozen it, so I will have an all day baking marathon on the 23rd.

This is a small nursing home with about 60 residents. Some are not able to eat solid foods, so I suspect that I will be putting together little bags for about 55. Then a big platter for the nurses.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

That is so sweet....so ummm you didn't make cookies for all of the state of New Hampshire????

not much here
basement is coming along pretty good.
need to get carpet , may be next week
then we should be good . Will have to get tv guys out to do the hook up for the tv .
wow Bonnie that is a lot of cookies. Have a wonderful time
Janet i can't believe how much jars have gone up in the last few years ?
next month i will

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon everyone! Hope this finds you ALL happy and well!
Weather has been frightful here lately...so I've been staying in. Bout to get cabin fever already..geesh!
Still have Christmas shopping to do...hopefully tomorrow. Going to bake some cutout cookies this afternoon, AFTER I finish putting up the decorations...slow there too!
I was kinda sorta waiting on my grandkids to help with both..but seems they are too busy this year! That...plus the nasty weather...so guess I will be doing it all myself..with Dave's help. Oh well. Hopefully they will be here to eat cookies...and enjoy Christmas!
Here is a pic of the lights on my fence.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

Marcy I am sure they are beautiful. You can now know that when the DGK get a certain age, their interests change and they become too busy with friends and other things to help grandma out. Mine is 17, and I will be lucky if she makes it here for one afternoon to celebrate Christmas. Oh, well. They have their own lives.

yes its cold
cabin fever for sure , me too Marcy .
kids have vacation coming up and honestly it is no vacation !! keeping two kids entertained for two weeks ! ? not my idea of a vacation.
been sick the last two days . slept most of the day
back to bed for me

Sue sorry that you are sick. Is it the flu? There are plenty of people around here that are down with it.

i don't think so ? just a bad cold ? throat feels clamped shut and just yukky feeling
kids have another snow day.... uhg
i think i will make them write letters LOL and do some cleaning

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

The Gametruck party was a lot of fun. The truck is about 30' long and loaded with flat screens and gaming systems on one side. The other side is lined with comfy chairs. The kids had a lot of fun. I loved the fact that I didn't have to clean up after the party was over.
Just 2 more weeks and I get a break. I have my son's school Christmas party Thursday. I got a call Sunday asking if I could do the games for the party. I have a problem saying no it seems. So, yesterday I spent coming up with party games. I would love to know why when you Google "Children's Christmas party games" does Kahlua drink idea's come up? Is that really something for a child's party? I skipped the Kahlua drink idea's and found a few idea's. I went with pass the parcel. Pass the parcel is like hot potato only it's a wrapped present. I went to the store and bought party favor's and wrapped them in 2 bundle's. When the present stops the child holding it will then unwrap a layer and find their gift. Then they can go play toss the cards in the basket. The present will continue until all the children have opened a gift. Oh, I almost forgot I also bought plastic cups and ping pong balls. The kids can play table basket ball with them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the kids will like at least one of the games. Child's party games is not one of my strong points.

Celene, Wow! That is a long time to have to sit at a market. Your GOOD! Hope your markets are doing well.

Bonnie, Your so nice! I think it's great that your making cookie's for all the NH residents. They get over looked by so many this time of year. Your cookie list sounds very yummy! Hope you see a lot of Christmas smile's when you hand out your cookie's.

Janet, I have been taking advantage of the snow weenie's. We went and picked out our tree 2 weeks ago after we got 4" of snow. We were able to shop without any crowds. Then we went and picked out our tree. I hate crowds of people and shopping. I don't even like to go to the grocery store this time of year.
Hope you have been able to find canning jars for less than your arm's and leg's.
Good Luck on your Christmas shopping.

Sue, Hope you feel better soon!
Your room looks good! Congratulations on your painting being almost finished.
I understand your feelings on Christmas vacation! I only have 1 kid and it's a long 2 weeks. My DH is of the last 2 weeks of the year for vacation. So, in a way I'll have 2 kids for Christmas vacation.
Are you going to see the new Hobbit movie? We were thinking about going the weekend after Christmas.

Better get back to work! Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I just wanted to stop by and wish you ALL a very Merry Christmas...and a Very Happy New Year! Enjoy your holidays everyone...hugggs from me!!!

Columbus, OH

So...I have not made bourbon pecan tartlets since my mother died in 2009. They were her favorite and it upset me, but one of DH's friends asked for them, and I thought it was time to suck it up and get over it. I had a big weepy moment, and then I was fine, I could think of how funny she was, to be so happy to get cookies made just for her. lol I am so NOT a weepy, emotional person.

On the positive side, one of my friends is in a classical a capello choir, and she sent me a CD of their Christmas music. It is so lovely. A capello is incredibly difficult, and they're amazing.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

We just got a very excited little boy to bed. We have to set up the Santa gifts and then it's off to bed.

Hope Everybody has a safe and Merry Christmas!

Have a Blessed Christmas!
Karen

Hope that all of you are ready for Santa's visit tonight. In case you beat me up and awake tomorrow morning. I am wishing you all a very Merry Christmas.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Merry Christmas from Franklin!!! I hope you all have a lovely day and pace yourself while eating and drinking!

Love you all!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Merry Christmas to all my ORVG friends.
Have great day!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Popping in to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!

Columbus, OH

Merry Christmas to all!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hope everybody had a Merry Christmas! We had a nice Christmas here.
Today we are going to see the Harlem Globetrotters. I feel like a kid. I'm so excited!
The flower catalog's have started coming already. Fun! Fun!
Better get going! Hope everybody has a Blessed day!
Karen

Janet, meant to come here yesterday and wish you a Happy Birthday, so guess the best I can do today is wish you a belated one and ask how yesterday went. Any celebrations?

so glad all the festivities are over and I can settle down to my boring routines!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Happy Belated Birthday Janet! Hope you had a great Birthday!

We had a good time at the Harlem Globetrotters. We got a surprise when we got to the parking garage to leave. I went to back out and the brake pedal went to the floor. AAA to the rescue! If only the tow truck was as exciting to me as it was my son. He thought it was great that the van got towed and Grandpa came to pick us up.
Better get going. Me and the DH are going to work puzzles tonight for a bit. Hope everybody has a Happy New Year! Please Don't Drink and Drive!
Karen

Karen, I don't drink, that part of my life is long over! Probably will be in bed about 11:00. We can have our first kiss the next morning! See what a few years will do for you?

Columbus, OH

I'll have some wine and champagne, but stay at home. I'm so lame.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Sounds like a nice and warm time.

Celene, I'm lame! It sounds like a good time to me. Minus the wine anyway. I'm not a wine drinker.
The good things about staying home are 1) You save money 2) You won't get a DUI 3) You'll stay warm 4) Your dog will love to have you at home
Me and my DH are as lame as they come. We haven't went out for New Years since becoming parents.

Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

Columbus, OH

I will at least play Cards Against Humanity, such a party animal.

My dog is very pleased to have me home. She will scam my friends for food, and curl up next to someone and snore.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Had a very merry Christmas here! Made all my kids happy...big and small!
No party here either...just stay at home and let the others have at it. I hope NO ONE will drink and drive !!! Stay safe everyone....and a very Happy, Healthy New Year to us all!!!!!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Happy New Year, everyone!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Happy New Year Everybody !

I have been baking cookies all day and cleaning.
Managed to get the Christmas tree down today. It's nice to have the house back to normal.

Celine, Sounds like you have a smart dog! Hope you and her have a good New Year!

Marcy, Glad to hear you and your family had a good Christmas!

Better get going! I've been trying to get use to this I-Pad. I think it's going to take some time!
Stay safe! HAPPY NEW YEAR !
Karen

My gift to you for the new year! A clean slate! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1345971/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.