ORVG # 199, SUMMER, FALL & Maybe WINTER

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Karen, I know what you mean about the digging, and also about the happiness anout your son being happy about the garden. I was with Sue this weekend, so I know that she is planning on attending. Haven't talked to Ric lately, but he and Robyn haven't missed one yet!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Busy weekend here. The floors are finished except for the trim going down. The guy has another job and called tonight to ask if I was okay with him not coming until the end of the week to do that. Fine with me.

Have an appointment with my cancer Dr tomorrow. this is the one who let me off for the summer, so guess it is time to pay the piper. Will let you know what the check up turns out. Thanks for your thoughts on my behalf tonight and tomorrow.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey everyone ..hi!!
Sorry...been busy here! Trying to get all the things planted that have been sitting around most of the summer ..in pots! Duh..I do this every year! Doubt that I will next year though. Things are getting hard here for both dave and I to do....guess we are getting old.
Our bodies don't move like they should anymore!
Joyce...will try to make this roundup....keep reminding me...lol. Huggs to all...!!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Joyce, After this weekend the word digging makes my back ache. The weather was so nice this weekend. I went a little crazy and moved things and divided others. I'm hoping to lighten the load next spring. Only time will tell.
Glad to hear Sue will be at the R/U. I'll have to bring my son so he can meet her.

Bonnie, Thought and Prayers are with you ! Hope to hear some good news from you.

Marcy, Hope you and Dave can make it to the R/U! It would be nice to meet you. I'll help remind you!

I'm getting a late start today. I went to a friend of the family's funeral this morning. I have to get some work done before it's time to pick up my son from school. Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Marcy...wouldn't be a party without you and Dave!!! ^_^

Waddy, KY

Thought I'd pop in and see what's going on. Things are still going on here full steam ahead though if we don't get a rain the squash and cucumbers are going downhill fast. The markets are still hanging in there, which they sure need to be! Since it hasn't rained in a while and the grass isn't growing we're starting to give the cows some feed so there goes the feed bill!

Bons, be glad to sell some sweet potatoes if you have an overload. I need to pay you for the garlic that I sold last year. I planted some and got a few cloves. The problem I see with garlic is that it needs to do the overwinter thing and needs a safe place to do it. And around our place there's no such thing as a safe place!

How'd the cancer MD go? That's the pits on the eyes. Are you good enough to drive to Shelbyville or Frankfort? We need to have lunch when we can work it in.

Marcy, usually it's me that has stuff in pots to plant in the fall but this year the only thing I have right now is some raspberry plants that came up in front of the house where some roots from the pots I had out there last year produced shoots. Now to get them planted before they totally die.....

I've hired a former co-worker to paint my front porch, ceiling and railing at Harrisonville. He also cleaned the vinyl on the house. Looks much better. Yes, the house I'm still not living in. I'm almost tempted to call one of our friends that does septic systems and tell him to get his butt out there and dig the lagoon. If that were done I'd move in whether the furnace was hooked up or not. Grrrr...

Looks like everyone else has been keeping their plates full too. Another busy summer....

Janet, just got a call this morning from the Doctor's office saying the biopsy they did on Monday, is cancer free! Yipee, so another reprieve until the next appointment.

Yes, I am able to drive in the day time, so anytime the weather prohibits your working outside doing something, give me a call and we will certainly do lunch. We need to catch up.

Heading to the grocery this morning, so need to get my body moving in that direction. Have a good day folks!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Great news , Bonnie!!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Glad to hear that Bonnie...way to gooooooo!!!!!!
Joyce or Karen or someone...I need a date again on the roundup please? Gots to write it down!!
Well...we have ended up digging a new bed...lolol....around a tree...and it just got bigger n bigger. BUTTTTT...I can get everything planted there..yayyy. And Dave put in two fence posts..the metal kind...still has to string them....for my blackberries.
I had bought a couple of half dead ones...thornless...and nursed them back to health...sooo that will make 4 plants now. And I know how they like to run...so doubt I will need anymore!
Poor Dave...he had to get a short ladder to put in those posts...and most of you know he is tall..6 ft. but he just couldn't get enough leverage standing on the ground. I said to him...don't you have a fence post driver somewhere?? He just looked at me...lol. He didn't know where it was...duh.
oh well..they are in.
It got really hot here this afternoon...surprising! So I came in to cool off. Guess I better get myself back out there, and get a couple of things planted before suppertime!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

The 28th, Marcy...Saturday. Sure hope you and Dave can make it! Been working on the pathways. Geez....it takes forever to clean in that mulch! Weather has been cooperating, though. Well, today it is nice to see the rain, we need it! I have a garden club luncheon to go to in Waynesville. Looks like the rain will let up for us just in time!

Bonnie, GREAT news!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Joyce, I'm sorry! I intended to ask about bringing my son to R/U. Sorry to be rude and imply that I would bring him without asking you if it would be alright. Not everybody wants children at their house. Hope I haven't offended you.

Bonnie, GREAT NEWS!!!! Congratulation's! I'll pray that all future test's come back the same!

Janet, Hope your getting some of this rain today! I'm getting a real nice slow steady rain today. Hope it makes it your way.

Marcy, Joyce had mentioned the last Sat. in September. I believe that would be the 29th. Hope you and Dave can come!!
What all did you plant in your new garden bed?

Better get going! It's dusting and bathroom cleaning day! Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok...thanks Joyce and Karen....I hope we can come too. He always has tons of things to go to this time of year...like...uhhh...car shows....shhhhhhh...I didn't say anything!!!!
Karen, my beds are always mixed...so here is what I planted. Oh...and these plants have been sitting in front of my barn all summer...shhhh! A Nikko blue hydrangea, a short grass...cant think of name offhand...pink primrose...daisies that are shaggy...cant think of name there either..lol. A hosta...have two more coming....from a co-op....also a peony coming...soon I hope! I planted two different hardy geraniums, several ground covers, an Asiatic lily, dark red. And I STILL have much area to plant in...lol. I think Dave said the bed is about 100 ft. long..I think he exaggerates...! There is a shrub border on one side of it..that borders the path to my potting shed on the other side....and a large Ash tree in the center of it. So lots of roots to work around too. I'll try to get a pic of it today to show you all. I plan to border it with brick so he can mow right over the edge. I want to do all my beds that way eventually...working on it. I'm sure it will take up to until I have to give gardening up completely...but maybe will help the next person!
Ok..heading outside!!! Sun is out here now...had 1/2 inch of rain...woohooo...we will take it!!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

We had about 1/2 inch, too. Glad to see it. It came down nice and slow, just the way the garden likes it! I was sure I'd make it up to your place this year, Marcy, dang it!

Of course you can bring your son, Karen. Sometimes Sue brings her two. Sometimes not! Depends on where her hubby is at the time. I have 14 1/2 grandkids....so no problem for me! I'm hoping lots of people can come even though it's fun no matter how many come. More food with more people!!! Have to call Ric. Not sure if he checks in here any more.

Lou? Esther? Are you guys lurking????? Any other lurkers? All are invited and welcome!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Yess, on the nice n slow rain Joyce...same here. Welllllll...Joyce...NO ONE made it here this year...geezz. You would think I live in Alaska or someplace far away!!!
Its no more than an hr or hr and a half drive from your area. And if you come the "back way"...a nice scenic drive too. You know...come through Franklin,Carlisle, Germantown, Gratis, Eaton, to New Madison...not a big deal! LOL!!
Ok...here is a pic of the new bed. It doesn't look like much yet...but it will...probably next year...lol.
And a pic of the sweet autumn clematis I just cut down today. It was done blooming...and have to get it down before those seeds go!!! I have 3 more to go too. I best get out there and get busy. Not an easy job!!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1 Thumbnail by Marcy_1

Marcy, love the new bed, the curves in the edge. Wish my DH knew how to make something other than a straight line! A square or triangle, or something!

I probably won't get to come to the RU. DH is attending an Amish sale in western Indiana all that week, and unless he comes home a day early, it won't happen. Would love to, but I need a driver.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I'm still very much lurking! I have the date in mind and am hoping to be able to come. Are you far from Michelle? She is having a rough time and I know it would do her good to attend if the girls don't have soccer that day.I've been posting pictures on facebook and if any of you would like send me a friend request. Lurker Lou

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh good to know, Lou. I think maybe I'm about 45 min. from Michelle. I don't do Facebook. I can't keep up with what I do now!!! My DH is on and he tries to keep me informed of what the kids are posting. Sorry to hear about Michelle. Haven't seen her around for a long time. She must not be on Dave's anymore??

Marcy, I too love your curved bed. Beautiful. I was wondering if I could cut my Sweet Autumn down now. Mine is finished and it is scrambling all over the waterfall mound and a small Jap Maple that's planted there. If you do it....I WILL DO IT!!!! Sounds like you have done it before, so I will learn my lesson from you.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I used to cut mine down every fall after it bloomed. One year it spread so much that it was actually killing my red honeysuckle vine that the hummers love more than anything else. I had Dave dig it up for about three years in a row before we got it completely out. I miss the great fragrance it always had. I wish someone would hybridize it into dwarf plant and keep the fragrance! Lou

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Marcy, Your new bed looks great! Love the shape of it. I love the smell of sweet autumn clematis.
We live about 20 minutes from Eaton. My son loves the play land at the Eaton McDonalds.
Beware if your primrose is showy primrose. I planted some by my pond and wish that I hadn't. It spreads like crazy and takes over. I have been digging it out for 2 years.
I have extra Louisiana Iris if you or anybody else want any. (Pic 1) I also have purple TB if you or anybody else want any. ( Pic 2)

Joyce, Sounds great! We'll be there. I'm thinking about bringing some pie. Is there anything besides food I could bring to help out?
Your family gatherings would be a lot of fun.

Bonnie, Sorry to hear your not going to make it.

Better get going need to get my kid to bed. Me and DH are going to work a puzzle tonight and watch the Reds game. Hope everybody has a Blessed Night!
Karen
Karen

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey Gang!

Joyce gave me a call today and the three of us will indeed attend the RU next Saturday...
Karen which Louisiana Iris are you offering?
We have Black Gamecock but any others would be welcome here.
BTW your Cactus bloomed, every one, in their little tins....lol!

Bonnie glad to hear about the Cancer Non-news!

We've been seriously busy this Summer and haven't been posting much anywhere except Facebook.
Excellent Dragonfly Summer...one of the worst Butterfly years in recorded history.

Thumbnail by henryr10 Thumbnail by henryr10 Thumbnail by henryr10 Thumbnail by henryr10 Thumbnail by henryr10

Good to see you Ric. Tell Robin hello from this Ky girl, please!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey all thanks on the new bed. Yesss Joyce..cut that Sweet autumn NOW...before it seeds!!! I swear..you will have them everywhere otherwise!
Yes I know about the showy primrose Karen..have had them before...but they are sooo pretty...and will fill in nicely...lol..and then I will pull them out!!!! I would love some of the iris...!
Still hoping we can come...soooo many things going on that weekend around here...grrrrrrrrr.
What would be good to bring??????? Suggestions plz!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, hmmmmm...Ric and Robyn usually clean the kitchen out at their house!! :o) Everything is always so yummy. Someone should bring cookies..... ^_^ If we want to have hot dogs we can do that, otherwise, casseroles, i.e. picnic food. baked beans, some kind of salad. Not sure what I'll do yet. Wonder if there will be some homemade ice cream anywhere around????? Hint, hint!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Ric, Black Gamecock is the only Louisiana Iris I have. If I get another kind I'll be happy to share. I planted some mixed Louisiana Iris this spring. We'll see what comes up. My Black Gamecock was suppose to be Spicy Cajun which is pink. That's why I went with the mixed this time.
Glad the cactus bloomed for you. It's so pretty in bloom. I planted some around a few trees out front.

Marcy, Showy Primrose is pretty. I planted it by my pond and it has become a nightmare for me.
Would you like both type of Iris? If your not able to make it to the R/U I could meet you in Eaton to give you the Iris. Really hope you can make the R/U!
Not sure what I should bring either. Guess we should start talking food.

Have to get going DH's car won't start need to go pick him up from the store. Be back later tonight.
Hope everybody has a Blessed Day.
Karen

Waddy, KY

Yesterday started out a rather frustrating day. Got the Lexington market truck packed up and it wouldn't start. Battery dead. They got that started and while I was walking around a huge puddle in the road coming up from the shop in the dark, I tripped over a 4 inch round post that had been left laying in the grass. I knew it was there but just didn't think about it at 5:30 in the morning. Went down hard on my knee, ripped my $140 rain pants and ended up in the puddle I was trying to get around in the first place. Not a happy camper. But at least after sitting on the ground telling everyone to just let me sit there for a few moments to let it quit hurting, I was and am still able to walk. For that I was grateful for sure.

Not much else going on here. I've got to make some habanero gold jam sometime this week and I've got a list of other stuff that really needs to be done in addition to the baking. 3 more weeks and my first Saturday market closes. It's my poorest market but at least that cuts out having to load and unload that one on Saturday mornings. By the end of October I'll be down to three Saturday markets and though that cuts the income significantly, I think I'm ready for a little time to catch my breath. We should have sheep lambing here in a few weeks, there's a few bagging up so that rat race will start again. But watching new lambs is so entertaining.

Ric, good to see you post. Your pictures are always so pretty.

I have an autumn clematis but the blister beetles always totally defoliate it each year and I haven't seen it bloom in so long I don't remember the last time I saw it. Don't have to worry about it reseeding at that rate!

Bonnie, so glad on the cancer check up. You deserve a break.

Better get some pans greased and some breads measured for tomorrow. Nite all!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well...I'll be thinkin what to bring and will come up with something ..lol.
Karen...both kind of iris are fine...plz. What can I bring you? I have most everything...lol. Ask...I'll tell you if I have it..ok? And if I do...will be glad to share, if it is sharable..is that a word????? It is now!
Volleyball game tonight and Thursday too...and going to work outside this week. Getting ready for lunch and then out the door! Finally warming up here!!!

i will be there. apple cider , apple crisp and apple salad.
got to run
see you next weekend

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sue, Robyn says she needs Apples.......

Shot this Sunday on a day sorely lacking in bugs......

Blue-faced Meadowhawk.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow! That is really cool looking!

I guess you can tell that Sue is working at the apple farm again! ^_^

ok will check see what we got. does she need eating or baking , sweet or tart.
so i got a estimate for finishing out my basement.... 32,899.22..... i mean really ?? he had to add .22 cents ?? what the ???
can you tell i m boiling about his estimate. then he gave me a 15.00 SY carpet allowance. Can someone tell me where i can get carpet for 15.00 per SY ????
well i think we have other plans ...
off and running

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Baking Apples mostly....Tart.
Smaller amount of Sweet for eating.
Thanks!

South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi all, yes I have been lurking and had half planned on attending.

However on second thought, we cannot really afford the time since we are leaving Monday for our Turkey 14 day tour. I am a very disorganized and easily distracted person and have to try to keep my mind on our preparations for various contingencies. Bob has been reading all sorts of serious books from Marshall University, and I have only got to the second of 4 CDs on learning Turkish language. Very tough going.

A pity, we shall miss seeing you all - and this year not only do we have figs but our apple trees (specially the Mutsu) are producing! Bushels! (Bob has dried almost a bushel of them.) We also have persimmons, and some odd shaped pears and one still-green jujube.

Have a great time, Esther

you will be missed Esther, have a great time n Turkey. Safe travels
OK Ric i will see what i have. apples are smaller this year, He didn't spray or prune but he wasn't going to open this year as last year was his final year. LOL
great day to you all

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Unfortunately, We will not be able to attend .My daughter need help in packing and getting things ready to move. Will miss you all. See ya next spring!

Ester we will be waiting for some great pictures of your trip. Sounds very interesting. Have a great time.

I emailed Michelle , but I didn't get an yes or no answer to whether she would be able to make it.

Lurker Lou

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry that all of you won't be able to make it. We won't talk about you very much.... ;o)

All are invited, so come ahead you lurkers you!!!

Any one know what they're bringing yet besides Sue? I was thinking about a 7 layer salad. Should I pick up some hot dogs?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We're bringing Sloppy Joe's and Deviled Eggs....

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Wish I could be there...

Ric, I lost your meatball recipe. Could you re-post it, or send it to me? Thanks!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I was thinking about bringing lawnmower salad and an apple pie...but don't think we need an apple pie with all the apple things Sue is bringing.
What time are you planning to eat? Dave wants to make a run to the car show at New Paris first. It starts around 9 am he said...and he wondered if he would have time to spend an hr or so there? Takes us close to an hr to get to your house, Joyce.
I could bring some burgers if u are going to grill? LMK

Marcy, what is a lawnmower salad? Sounds interesting. I won't get to come. DGD is coming tonight, and we are going to a festival about 50 miles from here. We had talked about it sometime ago. It is Ham Days, in Lebanon, Ky. They always have a big country ham breakfast, then we will explore the many arts and crafts that vendors display there. I will be looking for a new piece of garden art to put in my gardens next year.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Lawnmower salad is pkgd broccoli slaw....green onions, cashew pcs, dried cranberries, and chicken flavored Ramen noodles, with a vinegar n oil n soy sauce dressing.
However..I decided not to bring that after all..lol. Dave said he doesn't like that broccoli slaw. sooooooo...im bringing blackeyed pea salad instead.
Joyce...wish I would hear from you...before I have to leave for the grocery!!
I'll keep checking back until about 1 pm.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.