ORVG # 199, SUMMER, FALL & Maybe WINTER

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Good morning. I have a rheumatologist appointment in Louisville today. Will stop by Sam's and I am going shopping for an area rug for my family room.

Janet, must have missed those injuries. We can share my MRI next Wednesday if you want. They are going to do one on my shoulder, as they suspect a torn rotator cuff. I figure I got the deductible paid on health insurance this year, so may as well do it this year, rather than next.

You all stay warm and safe if you are working outside.

lots going on
construction on the basement and the barn are on the way next wends. We will build a loft then finsih our basement
work was 150 gals of cider today whew i m tired
trying to sell our rabbits and chickens ... not an easy task ?
taylordaylily where in Hamilton are you ? i have a friend of 129 . still don't have the spider in the garden yet LOL
well not much else to report.
Bonnie sure hope you can get the tear fixed at miniumum cost. health care wow crazy isn't it

Good evening. I had a very pleasant day. I went to my Dr appointment, and everything is good. Stay on the same meds, and see him again in 6 months.

Went to Sams and spent over $250, and then on to Gardenridge, where I found an area rug for the family room with just the right colors that I needed in that room. Really changed the look and feel of the room, and it didn't send me into bankruptcy. Will post a picture tomorrow.

Sue, good luck with selling the chickens and rabbits. Maybe put up some fliers at schools where they have 4H, or see if an Agriculture Department wants/needs them.

I get to stay home tomorrow, only the first day this week that I don't have to go somewhere!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey everyone! A cold rainy morning here...yuKKKKKKKK!
Janet...hope the shoulder gets better...and be careful with that back and the numbness..ok?
And Karen...glad to see your puter is fixed!! And yes, I guess I am lucky my hubby takes an interest, but sometimes he is too bossy about it....lolol!!!! Shhhhh..I didn't say that!!!!!
Bonnie, sounds like you DIDNT have a torn rotor cuff..and that's a good thing!!!!
This past Thursday evening, there was a bad crash...6 cars, and 10 people injured, in Greenville, close to the Walmart. I Had JUST come thru the intersection where it happened, not 5 minutes before!! I was sooo thankful not to be in it! I guess a guy , traveling at a high rate of speed, just kept on coming...and hit multiple cars, sending them into others. Scary!!!!
No one killed, and no serious injuries...so that was good to hear! Don't know what he was doing, but they said ..inattention to his driving!
I have to show a picture here. Dave came in the other morning and said, "Come and see what is stuck under your running light in the van!"
I went out..and here was a little frog! Caught by his leg! Poor thing was dead of course. But what a strange thing to catch!! It must have been raining frogs when we came home!
Ok...hopefully gonna put several pics on here...one..of the frog...one..of a hardy mum...one of a little industrial cart I got this summer.
And also my bananas!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1 Thumbnail by Marcy_1 Thumbnail by Marcy_1 Thumbnail by Marcy_1
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Everybody! My little one is home with a fever today. He's upset with me that he's going to miss school today. He's really going to be upset when he finds out he has to go to the doctor later today.
I went to his school Friday for their Book Fair. It was fun helping the kids count their money and pick out books. One little girl was so cute. She brought her money envelope to me and stated proudly that she had saved for a whole month for the Book Fair. She had 4 dollars. She was so proud of herself. She melted my heart.
We packed our patio furniture yesterday. It's sad getting things ready for winter. I would like to fast froward to spring. Can we do that?

Janet, Glad to hear your shoulder is alright. Hope your back problem is healed up soon.

Bonnie, Good Luck with you MRI.

Sue, Good Luck getting rid of the bunny's and chicken's. My son would love to have a bunny. I'm not so much in love with the idea. Hope you can find someone who wants them.
Those apples are sure giving you a exercise workout.

Marcy, Thanks! I was lost without it. It's nice to have it back.
My husband is one of those speedy drivers. Thank goodness he's not caused a accident yet. He gets speeding tickets all the time. I don't understand being in such a hurry all the time. I prefer to get where I'm going in one piece. I'm not saying I never speed. I just don't drive like a race car driver like my husband does.
I didn't really think about the opinion part of it. That is the last thing I need.
Poor little frog. He didn't know your not suppose to hitchhike.
Your mum is pretty. My favorite's are the one's that look like daisy's.

Guess I better get going. Nothing will get done at this pace. Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

Columbus, OH

Anyone here remember when I said earlier in the spring that I wanted non-stickery hardy cactus? And then I was swayed by lovely blooms on a purple and a yellow? Paying for it today, with some quality time spent with thumb forceps. lol

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Ewww. Ouch!~ Oh! The very reason I don't have cacti. They love a klutz like me. Hope you get them all out quickly.

Celene, hope that they are all out, and that you have "doctored" the sites. Nasty critters those cactus.

Columbus, OH

I believe I am now thornless.

It is painful watching my sinningias go dormant so I can bring them in to the cold room for winter. I love sinningia tubiflora so much.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

It's almost Halloween! I made up treat bags for the kids in my son's class room. I bought pencil's and activity books. I figure they get enough candy already. The pencil's and books were a hit at Trunk or Treat at church. I hope they will be at school as well.

Celene, Glad to see you back! We missed you! Sorry the cactus got you! Glad you were able to free your fingers from the cactus spines. I'm the one to blame for the cactus. Sorry!
I looked up sinningia tubilflora. It's pretty! I had never heard of it before. I;m having a hard time watching everything go dormant. This summer went by supper fast this year.

Better get going. It's window cleaning day for me today. Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

Columbus, OH

I lost track of the thread somehow, and went looking to see if everyone was AWOL, turns out it was a problem between the keyboard and chair ;) I think it was you who gave me other hardy cactus cuttings, wasn't it? They rooted a lot better than the purple, and I managed to move that pot without being impaled.

I'm going to try overwintering some tropical salvias and many plectranthus. Normally the salvias start to root and show new growth, then they all die from powdery mildew. Hopefully this year will be better.

I'm also hopeful for a hardy (in Ohio) rosemary that I bought from Companion Plants. It's on a sunny south wall, and I'm mulching the heck out of it.

Raining here, so no outside work for me today. I usually can find lots to do inside though.

Celene, glad that you found us, and hope that you get to stay in touch.

Columbus, OH

It is not raining here, at least not yet. I am hunting down walking onions that are walking a little too far. Then I'm going to cover the veg bed with the soil from my summer pots, and 6" of leaf mulch.

I'm also going to pick up some shredded black plastic pots that the dog found in the garage, she has so much fun destroying them, it's less fun picking them up.

Anyone have hints for overwintering Dichondra? I just potted it up.

Waddy, KY

Currently not raining here. I guess I'll do a little baking more baking. I'm also trying to trim a few goats/sheep each day so I don't kill myself all at once. A big dot of black spray paint to the rump shows me which ones I've done.

Had a killing frost here last Thursday. Hopefully by next week I can start to pasture the field that had young Johnson grass in it without killing anything.

We keep a crescent shaped scalpel blade around the house just to get out thorns and splinters. It's sharp and can get under the intruder. They've dug many a thorn out of fingers.

Better get moving. Got to take DD to Louisville tomorrow to get some stitches taken out of his ear from some skin cancer surgery. I hate downtown Louisville....

Janet good to hear from you. I was hoping things were slowing down, so that we could have lunch. However, that said, I have a trip coming up so won't be around until after Nov 15th, so maybe by that time, you can schedule a "goof off" day!

Columbus, OH

I prefer a 22 gauge needle for digging out splinters, but to each his own. lol

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Happy Halloween! It's a wet one here. They are saying we will have strong storms tonight. I'm not sure how trick or treating will go tonight. It'll be fun even if it's a wet one. I went down and bought some candy just in case it's to really bad tonight.

Celene, I had some yellow with red center hardy cactus. I have never seen the purple. That would be pretty. Ric gave me a handy tip at the R/U for getting the cactus spines out. Put glue on your skin and let it dry. After it hardens when you peel it off all the spines come out with it. It works great. The hard part for me is waiting for the glue to dry.
Hope you catch the run away walking onions.
I'm not sure about over wintering Dichondra. It's only hardyto 25F . I would spread a thin layer of leaves over it and wait and see. If it's in full sun it's easy to cheat the hardiness zones. It can reseed itself. Good Luck!

Janet, Black spot to the rump. Sounds like a good idea. It also makes me happy that I'm not a sheep. I'd hate to have my rump sprayed after getting my hair done. lol! Thanks for the laugh!

Better get going. I need to get down to the school to help with the Halloween party! Hope everybody has a Blessed Halloween!
Karen

Waddy, KY

Nasty day. Been on the road most of it. To Frankfort this morning for PT, pick up apples, go to grocery. Come home, unload apples and groceries, grab a sandwich and head west to pick up father to head to Louisville. Get back, stop at Wal-Mart in Shelbyville for some jars and hit the door at 4:30. The day's pretty much shot.

None of the rosemary that I've had has ever made it through the winter down here. Is there a hardy rosemary?

Had a friend come out Monday with some clothes. Her life partner passed away a couple months ago and she wanted them to go to someone she knew if she could. Brought several VERY nice things including a Donegal tweed coat that had been worn maybe 4-5 times. Her partner bought it when they went to Scotland. It's absolutely beautiful. I guess I'm going to have to dress up some now so I can wear it.

Karen, hope you got your windows washed. There's some down here that could stand it if you want to come down for a few days.

Better go find something for supper.....

happy halloween
just busy with apples
not much to report
Bonnie made the apple dumplings from the recipe you gave me a while back. love them
Celene glad your thornless

Waddy, KY

Yum! Is this apple dumpling recipe easy? If it is I definitely need it. Made a pie here yesterday, broke down and used those bought rolled up crusts. Not much to my way of thinking but the innards of the pie was sure good and it didn't last long at all. I could stand another one of those I think.

The house is shuddering from the wind and the wind chimes are going crazy on the back porch. Got us under a tornado watch but no warnings. I can do without excitement tonight.

Janet, the apple dumpling recipe is made from crescent dinner rolls. A little sugar, some cinnamon, a little orange juice and butter, bake and they are very tasty and go really fast.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! Trick or Treating went great the other night. It was raining a little but the winds held out till after we were home. It was warm out so the rain wasn't much trouble. We had a good time. There were a lot of cute costumes. My favorite was a boy in a police car. His mom made his wheel chair into a police car with cardboard and colored paper. It looked great. He had a police costume and hat.

Janet, I did get my windows done. Not that you could tell anymore. It only takes my son and dogs a matter of minutes to mark them up again. I would love to escape my house and help you with yours. This time of year I don't have time to breath it seems. We have so many birthday's and get together's from now till the first of the year. The bad part is many of the get together's are at our house. It's always a challenge to keep my house in tip top shape for the last 10 weeks of the year. I have to admit I kind of like the challenge.

Better get going. I'm going to be late. Hope everybody has a Blessed Day!
Karen

the halloween is all gone and fall thanksgiving decorations are up.
i won't be decorating jessica's garden with fall things. I will just do the christmas.
other then that not much going on.
basement is coming along good.
we picked up our toilet and other bathroom things. cherry wood finish on the vanity with brushed nickle on the faucets.
grey carpet . sounds ugly but its a nice color actually. Castle Walls is the color from Lowes .
going to be a sport theme. yep scarlet and grey LOL

Waddy, KY

Very little going on here. I had a crate of pears that I made into jam. Raspberry pear, spiced caramel pear and plain pear. I got to the end and realized I hadn't made any pineapple pear. I wish I knew where there was an old pear tree that no one was going to do anything with and I'd pick some more.

Trimmed a few more sheep feet. I have absolutely no idea how many head are out there. Just that there's a lot. Some of them are going to be walking gingerly for a few days. I got a little too close but it's not easy when she's not in the mood for a manicure.

Got the MRI back on the back. Nothing I didn't expect. Spinal stenosis with nerve impingement. Got to be mild since it doesn't hurt all the time and doesn't hurt super bad. Has anyone ever had shin splints? I'm wondering if I have that on one of my legs. Hurts just above the ankle. Just another something to deal with.

Sue, I've learned to never judge something like interior design on how it sounds. Most of the time, something that sounds ugh in my mind is really nice when you see it.

Karen, I used to worry about how the house looked when I had company but anymore it just doesn't matter. Course I haven't had company in a long, long time. I usually do Easter for the family but this year I took Easter to my parent's house so they didn't have to travel. I suspect it will be the same next year.

Time for a bath and bed. This change in time once again is messing with me.

Columbus, OH

Time change is messing with me, too.

Bathroom is being re-plumbed tomorrow, thank goodness. We are losing all of our old metal pipes!

And, if I have to make another bacon candle, I'll barf.

Janet, sheep and pedicures doesn't sound like much fun. I don't know where DH found them, but he brought in a bucket of pears. Since time was short, I just canned them, and then I can make jam later on. Yum, the pear-pineapple jam sounds good.

I had shin splints once and there is not much that can be done for them. Dr recommended staying off my feet as much as possible (how do you do that when you have a family, house and job to go to?)

Spinal stenosis with nerve impingement must be a standard diagnosis when you have back pain. One more of the medical ills that you deal with as you get older. This getting older stuff is not fun!

I don't think I told you all about my shoulders and my wrist. (I hate to complain), but about a month ago started having shoulder pain on the left shoulder, plus I had already been dealing with a wrist that felt like a bad sprain for about a month before that. I had bought a wrist brace at the drug store and had been wearing it. Well finally broke down and went to the ortho, gave me a cortisone shot. Helped a little but then went back in about 3 weeks with my other shoulder. He ordered an MRI of both shoulders and my wrist. That was a very long hospital appointment. Anyway, back to the ortho last Thursday for the MRI results and both shoulders have bone spurs that are irritating the rotator cuff, and am doing PT for them. However, the wrist is the result of a bone that has died in my hand. Will be waiting about 5 weeks to go back, and if not better, than will have to have surgery. Never had heard of the bone dying, he said probably the result of an injury not severe enough to even seek treatment. It is a small bone in the top of the hand, and he says that sometimes the other bones will shift and fill up the space and no treatment is necessary, but then again since I tend to have weird things, surgery may be needed to remove the bone and then screws and plates put in to stabilize it.

Celene, I have never heard of bacon candles, but since bacon has become so popular in food items, why not? On another thread I read about bacon jam. Sounds very yukky to me, but who knows, it may be good.

Leaving tomorrow for a trip, but will be back on Saturday. Everybody stay healthy.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey all...still kickin here! Nothing goin on but the rent, as hubby would say!
Got all plants in and winterized...all bulbs planted as of yesterday...did another 45 tulips along the driveway. Hoping the voles don't eat them over the winter!
Had annual blood work done...everything is fine they said..woohoo! Dr was concerned about diabetes....but guess that is out...yayy! Hip xray shows only some mild osteoarthritis...that didn't surprise me !
Guess I will be around for a while longer!!
Hope you all are well and hangin in there!!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Great news, Marcy. My annual blood work came back ok, too. We must be doing something right!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Everybody! I cleaned this morning and have been playing this afternoon. Me and my DS have been playing board games and some Wii. I'll get back to the housework here soon.

Sue, Your bathroom sounds nice to me. I love the look of Cherry Wood.

Janet, I wish I had it in me to not worry about my house. I have a family member that is a total clean freak. I always feel like my house is being judged when they are here. The last time I had a house full of people my poor dog got a case of the trots and smelled up my house really good. It's funny now. It wasn't funny that day. He had poo all in his hair and had to get a bath. My cousin and his wife are blind and smell better than most. Not such a good thing that day. They had to go outside for a while. Hope things go better this weekend.

Celene, Hope your replumbing went good today. Is this the same plumbing problem you had back early summer?
Bacon candle! Not my thing! I don't blame you for wanting to barf. YUK!

Bonnie, Hope you have a safe and fun trip.

Marcy and Joyce, Congratulations on your blood work! Keep up the good work.

Better get going. It's time to get the kid ready for bed. Hope everybody has a Blessed evening!
Karen

Hi I am in Mass.Got here about 4:30,found the motel, had supper and about to hit the hay. Will be here until Sat.Visiting a friend who fell and broke her hip,plus has demential. This keyboard doesn't want to space,so see I won't be using it much.

Waddy, KY

Boy, that sounds like a long trip! Getting ready to rain here. Get got the cows in the barn waiting for the vet to pregnancy check. I hope he's planning to ship the open ones as soon as possible. And the steers too. We don't need any more mouths to feed than absolutely necessary this winter.

Making habanero gold jam as soon as I finish a couple batches of bread. Don't have to bake as much this week so it's a refreshing change. I've already gone through almost 50 pounds of sugar on the pear jams. Then I'm moving on to the peach jams. Got some new ones to try.

Better get outside and pick up some kindling before it starts to rain. More later.

Bonnie wow that sounds painful. sending you healing thoughts , safe and fun trip.
rain here.
ran out of goat food and dog food.
two bunnies got out today. to hard to catch them ! let them figure it out LOL i will put the cage on the ground with food. hopefully they are smart bunnies.
I love the habenero gold jelly. one of my favs !
good to hear Marcy and Cookie have blood work that is good news. :)
we want to keep you around as long as we can
watching CMA awards. funny the hosts are LOL
Celene bacon candles ...... i don't know what to say LOL next will be french fry candles or maybe a big mac candle ..... lets hope not. with that said i guess spinach and kale don't make good candles LOL my fav is always apple scented.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well..I have to say...I like most scented candles...but bacon..hmmmm...think I prolly could pass on that one!!!!
Joyceeeee....glad to hear your blood tests came out good too! My BP checks were excellent too, as were other tests...not mentionable here....lol! Just glad to know I'm healthy for my age!
Bonnie. glad u made it to your destination...and have a safe trip home too.
I NEED to talk hubby into getting rid of some vehicles around here!! The dang insurance is killin us!!! Tell me...what do two old people need with 5 cars?????????????? Geesh! And all are insured! That's just plain ridiculous to me!
And then our homeowners insurance comes with that...sooooo..wow...what a bill ..all at once! I told him...no groceries the next two weeks!!!! LOL...see how he likes that!!!!!
I'm joking about that of course....I like to eat too...hahaha!

Marcy, sounds like our house, DH has 3 pick ups, 1 SUV, 1 car, and then our "good car". Insurance ror all of them is ridiculous.

Waddy, KY

Hey! at least all of yours run!!!!!! I'm starting to think I really live in a junk yard. Three dead cars in front of the shop. Two dead cars behind the middle tobacco barn. A dead pick up beside the barn, a dead lime truck and combine beside the shop and enough junk to build a battleship scattered everywhere. I wanted to throw something away the other day and DH said there was metal in it and I said, "Your point?" and he said if he had some help he'd haul some of it off. GEEEZZZZ !!! if he'd haul it off, I'd help, the fellow that's working for us three days a week would help, my SIL that has been after him for a couple years would help, DD would take a day off from work to help and I suspect my 92 year old MIL would help if she could get the walker down there. Impossible!!!!

Good on all the blood tests. And mine came back normal too. That was after the one's in the doctor's office were all screwed up. They had me almost needing a blood transfusion and needing to go on dialysis. Personally I think it would be a good idea for them to work on their machine.

Sue, if our goats ran out of feed there would be mass mutiny around here. Now it'd delivered by the ton, not the bag. Got a wagon up in the barn and it's delivered in one of those huge bulk trucks. And the bill matches the size of the truck.....

Going to bed. Got a full day on tap for tomorrow.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Okkkk...well then I don't feel so bad now...knowin im not alone.....lolol! And one of them doesn't run either Janet! The antique one...grrrrrr.
ok...this ole girl is going to bed...n try to figure out how to buy groceries tomorrow....lol...nite all..hugs!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Not much going on here. Trying to get things ready for the morning.

Sue, Sounds like your bunnies took it upon them selves to find new homes. lol Just kidding! Hope they found the hutch.

Marcy, Your far from alone! My husband had a collection of cars a few years ago. Now we only have 3. There is hope! Good Luck!

Janet, Your husband has a small fortune in scrap metal there. We scraped a Dodge Intrepid last year and they gave us $300.00 for it. We had to drain the fluids and put a hole in the gas tank. That combine and truck would be worth way more. Good Luck getting him to cash in on them.

Better get going it's about time for dinner. Hope everybody has a Blessed evening!
Karen

Waddy, KY

Well, certainly very little going on around here. I'm starting to pull things out of the freezer to get in jars. Did some strawberry jalapeno jam, pear pineapple, raspberry pear and have a canner of chili sauce in the HWB right now. Spent Monday moving sheep fence so they'd have a little more to eat, weaned calves. The rest of the week just seems to have flown by.

Went the other day and bought a new gold chain to replace the one on my diamond solitaire necklace. It kept breaking because it was so old and worn I decided to get another before I lost the diamond. Well, let me tell you, it was sticker shock when I got the necklace. The necklace I could have bought a few years ago for under $100 cost me over $300. Guess that's what happens when gold shoots to over $1300. Course he only gave me $37 for my old necklace. What a rip off!

Well, market day starts early tomorrow. Hope everyone's doing fine.

got the bunnies back in. sooner or later they would be hungry enough LOL
goats are fat and happy.
got our basement done. Need to paint and then do the carpet install.
our contractor well.... what can i say.... typical mess left behind.
other than that not much going on
got a new decoration for Jessicas garden.
was going to try and get some of the decorations started but to windy today. hopefully i can get them going soon
apple orchard is coming to a close. I saw him our prunning his tree's last week. so i wonder if he is going to do it again next year ?

Hello all. I am tired and trying to recover from my trip to MA. Had a guest from Saturday till Thursday, after a week of being gone. Did laundry and cleaned the house, plus cooked today for our Thanksgiving dinner at church tonight.

Went to eye Dr on Friday, and was referred to a specialist in Lexington, and it looks like I will be having cataract surgery in the near future. Vision in right eye is very bad due to 2 cataracts and the macular degeneration.

Sue, glad that your remodel of the basement is coming to an end. I hate any kind of construction as it always leaves a mess.

Janet, when will your markets be over for the year? I can't remember what/when they ended last year. We have got to make time for lunch soon.

Karen seems like you are always busy with something. Makes the time go faster when you are busy.

Well, I am heading to bed, even if it is only 8:30. I had some kind of virus the past couple of days, queasy stomach and some trots to go with that. So guess my body just is beyond tired, so gonna try a little extra rest to see if that will help how I feel.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.