Plants blooming today (Continued)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I bought Coreopsis "Ruby Frost" a few weeks ago and the first bud just opened up for me! Yours looks great! I really like that "Jive" variety, too. Very striking.

Melanie

Orlando, FL

LOVE THAT "JIVE"!!!! M~

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Me Too!!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I also have Route 66 planted in that same area. Hoping the three species will grow "together" and the three will eventually look like 1 plant, with 3 different blooms.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I have Route 66 planted next to my Ruby Frost as well! Great minds garden alike, I guess!

Melanie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I guess great minds do garden alike Melanie! LOL

Shauna

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Sounds like you two have all the makings of great gardening friends, and you live near each other too so you can visit and share... Thats cool!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Anyone else have tiny font on the homepage today??? Or do I just sudddenly need reading glasses?
Forecast says "little or no rain for the next 4 days". And only in the 80s. What will I do?!?!!?!?!?

For sure I'm mixing up the 2, 4D today & respraying the Chamberbitter. Quite a bit dies after the 1st spraying and I've been waiting for it to dry off so I can spray again. Very few DollarWeed in the areas I've sprayed.

And I need to get my new ladder out (one of those ones that will fold many ways) and fix a few loose shingles on the Studio roof. Always something to do when the sun is shining!!!!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Good morning, I hope everyone had a great fourth holiday. I see some changes again on the website and yes, Q, the writing seems to be smaller.

We ended up getting an invite to some friends condo at Cocoa Beach for the fourth and the fireworks on the beach never ended, I went to bed finally. Got home yesterday and was lucky to not miss my very first bloom on my new Texas Star hibiscus...what a beautiful flower.

Looks like sunshine and a day for me to work more on my new gardens and get my new plants in the ground.

Mellie what a great catch of the butterflies on the cone flower, I didn't try any of them this year, but usually do.

Shauna your Jive Coreopsis is a great looking flower, where did you get those? Seeds?

Some more photos from my trip to Sanibel, this is the Hoya flowers that were growing ten feet up a palm tree, kind of breezy day so not real clear...but you get the idea how cool it was to see.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Speaking of TX Star......................the ones I have in pots are doing great & have buds. The 1 in the ground has not grown at all. Guess I'll be moving the unhappy guy, maybe to the new area I'm working on.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

DG ha totally Mucked up there whole site...IMO. I dont know what prompted them to make the changes, but I dont like the look, and i especially dont like the tiny font. They seem to be blaming the font size on people customizing their fonts. It doesnt make sense, but Im trying not to argue. It just doesnt really address the whole font issue in general, as you can only adjust your font on certain things, you can adjust it on the threads you are reading, only on the home page.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1323545/

Thanks GG, I tried to find a thread about the changes, thanks for posting the link.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

What I will say about the new site is, you can move around faster on it, and that is a welcome change. I had been waiting forever for pages to load and that doenst seem to be an issue now...or at least it seems that way. I still dont get why they wont use the whole page tho, and have the white space around it. And color...where is some color, its like opening a newspaper, not a garden site. I think thats just the new look in life.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2013 11:36 AM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi all,
Love the Coreopsis Shauna, and those Hoya's,sunkissed! Giving me some ideas for mine…beautiful.
Even in all this heat we're having, I'm surprised the Caladiums are still looking so good.

Thumbnail by tlm1
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks to all who posted pics of blood lillies. I now know I have about a doz. Also have been pulling up dwarf poincetta thinking they were weeds as they are poping up all over.
My brugs have bloomed no less than 5 times including during the winter. It was so mild guess they got confused. I have a red passiflora that came from Yolie's garden and is growing well but no blooms yet.
I had 2 amaryliss in pots that finally bloomed this spring after waiting for 2 years. Bleeding heart is invading my miniature crepe myrtles. Got to cut it all out of it.
Blue sky vine got so big and heavy it fell off roof. Time for a haircut.
Need to find a new spot for pandora vine and it is overshadowed by rangoon creeper which I dearly love and its blooming profusely.
Happy gardening All,
Bonnie

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

We'll just have to color it up ourselves GG with pictures of our gardens! What blooms will we find today?!

Caladiums are special to me just like Periwinkles (Vinca) even though they've been around forever. You can't beat either of these for dependable Summer color and yours look great tlm1...

You have quite a collection Bonnie. My Rangoon creeper has never taken off, and I really haven't worked with it though. I need too as they are really cool. My friend Sue's of course, like everything else in her garden is amazing. Sigh.....I guess I really should take some new pictures of her gardens and make mine look like dullsville! She has so many unique plants, but a lot of them don't come back every year. I stick with a lot of old reliables and add something new here and again...you have me researching Pandora vine!

The picture is of "Chicken Gizzards" (Iresine). Is anyone else growing this? It looks similar to coleus, and does really well here. Mine have been surviving freezes the last two years... It has white flower spikes in the Fall.

Good Sunday Morning everyone!

This message was edited Jul 7, 2013 6:41 AM

This message was edited Jul 7, 2013 6:43 AM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

Bonnie - there are a couple different weeds that look like "baby" DF, so you may indeed be pulling up weeds. One is Nuiri/Chamberbitter. These have hundreds of tiny seeds on the bottom side of the leaves. I've yet to get a name for the 2nd one, but at least, it seems seedless just spreads like the dickens.
Then there is another that turns into a Tree Weed that does absolutely NOTHING, which my neighbot identified in my yard. I was hoping it was going to be that one with the pretty pink flowers (David mentioned it somewhere when I posted a pic).

Bottom line - if you have a zillion of the tiny tree looking plants - they are indeed weeds. I've been using 2,4D to dry them up & KILL them dead.

Chicken Gizzards!!!! Love the name.
We need a thread on "where the heck did the common name come from"? Also interesting that a plant has a diff common name in different parts of the country.

Looks like we may have sun again today!!!! Ain't life Grand!!!!!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Yeah yo' right! Its also called Blood Leaf in some parts of the country, and that really does make more sense...

All I can figure is somebodies Grandmother was butchering a chicken one day when the kid came along holding a leaf asking, "Mee Maw, whats this? (holding up the leaf) Grandma looking at the fresh bloody gizzard in her hand and the bloody red leaf with veining replied,..... Chicken Gizzards! (Grandma didn't know what that leaf was.) This name rapidly took hold and changed the botanical world forever! Ha!

What an imagination David, the chicken gizzard plant is some nice color to the garden.

Bonnie I remember your Rangoon creeper, I had to chop back my red passiflora, was shading out some plants underneath. My bleeding heart seems to be behaving so far, a few new sprigs tried to come up, but pulled them out.

I worked on my gardens and got plenty of new plants in the ground. I got bit by something even with garden gloves on, it stung bad, took them off but couldn't find anything. My had instantly started to swell and by night fall my arm and fingers all swollen, still swollen this morning, but not red or hurting anymore. Have no idea what got me???

Here are some more blooms from my Sanibel trip, this cactus orchid also climbing a dead palm tree was just in bud when I first went by it on my bike. I went back two days later and caught the flowers open, four days later they all had expired already...glad I saw them.

If you all know the exact name of this plant, I can post the pic's on DG under the correct category, appreciate it.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Hey I just opened a Dave's Garden email news letter, and this plant was one of the features, do you think this is my cactus plant? But the blooms were open mid morning, and they weren't closed the last time, they were brown and gone.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54131/?utm_source=nl_2013-06-24&utm_medium=email

Jacksonville, FL

Bonnie,

Squirrels will eat the flowers of that Red Grapeleaf Passion vine. You should have seen Yolie standing under the pear tree yelling at squirrels sitting up high in it, munching away on the flowers they'd stolen for lunch. Of course the little monsters ignored her but the neighbors were treated to a comical scene. If you have several of those critters hanging around, watch for them, they do love those red flowers and will eat everyone they get their paws on. Our vine has been blooming for a couple of months now and squirrels are the only things that bother it.

Charlie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I was afraid my coreopsis "Ruby Frost" didn't look anything like the pictures but then today I realized the flowers just hadn't opened all the way. Now they look much better!

Is there anything squirrels won't eat? I had to build an orchid house to keep them off my vanda orchids. Then I had to set out mouse bait when the mice started eating my cattleyas! I would have thought passion vine might be toxic to squirrels, especially the flower part, but I guess not if they're eating it.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

The double purple candystripe Datura is blooming today, and is full of buds and Bees...

Good Morning!

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

Are Chinese Lanterns really as invasive as I've been reading? I think I have 2 in my garden. SHould I consider putting them back into pots?

Thumbnail by Qwilter
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Heliconias, Tibouchina and coreopsis.

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

They look really happy in the ground Q. You have so much space to work with and my thoughts would be,...
"Enjoy their beauty now and weed next year if you need too!"
Nice pic's Shauna!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

a few plants blooming today-from left to right
single hibiscus
some of my fish snuck in
dbl. hibs.
ribbon shrub
Amy & broadleaf & reg. ferns

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

2nd. group
alamanda
hydrangea
hydrangea same plant just different colored bloom
crepes
zebra on hatropha

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

Beautiful pics. BonnieG…Good thoughts heading your way…Hope all goes well for you tomorrow!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Those Zebra Longwings just love jatropha! Nice pictures - reminds me I need to go out and look at my hydrangea...

Melanie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks tlm1
3rd. group
mandavilla up in oak tree
canaary vine in white container
bird nest fern
shiffalera near front door
alamanda-first years growth

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Got a huge crop of zebras this year.
4th group:
heliconia, florists fern & tie plants more shiff and dwarf chenile
Boston ruffled fern volunteers in pond rocks -sweet flag in floating pot in pond
pond side-broadleaf fern, weeping willow, elephant ears-Japanese magnolia, mondo grass and penta in pot
4th from left-broadleaf fern, sweedish ivy overhangs pond, Texas sage, jewels of opar,
brom bed under oak tree

Lookin good Bonnie........................

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

floating plant sweet flag-pickeral weed etc. in pot in pond
Siam tulips
black magic colocasia-hibiscus-weeping holly tree
church birdhouse- weeping holly-lorapetalum along pool

If anything ever grows and looks good at upper end of garden i'll get pics.

Nite all and happy gardening.
Bonnie

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Orlando, FL

Hola everyone! Nice flowers and fish. I think that cactus is dragonfruit.
The chinese lanterns in my yard are very invasive. They are climbing in everything! The lanterns turn orange and have red seeds. The foliage is stinky when you pull them. If this is the same one that you have... I would keep them isolated from your other plants. Other than that, I think the little lanterns are pretty cool.

Orlando, FL

And a couple blooms...pitcher plant and hummingbird sage

Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna

I have 5 gal buckets that fit nicely inside some BIG ceramic urns. Nothing in the urns right now so early one AM I will go out & dig the plants and put in the buckets. These 2 went in the ground last Fall & so far, these 2 are all I have. Hopefully I will catch them.

There again, I could put them in the "out back" where I'd be happy to let them wonder about.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

What a great space Bonnie...love the ponds!

Bonnie,I think the temp. just dropped about 10 degrees as I was looking at your ponds. How refreshing!

locoluna, Love the pics. Which Nepenthes is it? Beautiful pitcher.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.